Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,394 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting (2750 Views)

Fani-kayode Reacts After Tiv DPO Is Interrogated Over Killing Of Fulanis. / Imo Police Releases Statement On Deployment Of Officers, Soldiers To Owerri / Amah Daniel, Youngest DPO In Nigeria, Who Wowed The IGP, Idris [SEE PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by naijastory: 4:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
The Imo state police command have arrested one Rev. Fr. John Ogoekwe of the CKC, Uvuru, Aboh Mbaise and three other priests and also shut down the Catholic cathedral in Ahiara, Mbaise, Imo State, following a violent protest allegedly led by the arrested priests.

The protest which took place last Saturday July 2nd, saw a Divisional Police Officer (DPO), of Ahiazu division, Danjuma Ragga Ben shot on the leg and hand. The priest and some of his members were protesting over who should be made the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of the area.

Peace had eluded the diocese for about three years now since Pope Francis appointed Bishop Peter Opkaleke from Anambra state as the bishop of the diocese. The priests in the area and their members had protested Okpaleke's appointment, insisting that a priest from their state should be appointed into such leadership position. To resolve the impasse, a Vicar General, Rev. Fr. Clement Ebi, was appointed to function in the diocese as a bishop until the matter is full resolved.

Trouble started on Saturday July 2nd when the Vicar General decided to host the Catholic Women Organization of the diocese at St. Roses Catholic Church, Ezinihitte. This apparently did not go down well with some of the youths who came out in their numbers and barricaded the streets and Cathedral, setting fire and carrying leaves and placards. During the protest, the DPO was shot in the leg and hand.

A statement by the spokesperson of the state police command, Andrew Enwerem, said twelve people have so far been arrested in connection with the protest.

“Twelve suspects, including four Rev. Fathers, were eventually arrested and are been interrogated. All those involved in the shooting of the DPO will be fished out and prosecuted. The Commissioner of police has therefore, ordered the Cathedral to remain under lock and key to avoid further violence.”

http://www.naijatopstory.com/2016/07/imo-police-command-arrest-four-priests.html

Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by cktheluckyman: 4:12pm On Jul 05, 2016
What exactly is wrong with this mbaise people and their priests? How can someone after spending years in a Catholic seminary still end up as a tout?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Temidayo9(m): 4:35pm On Jul 05, 2016
The problem of Nigeria is never a Religion.... i think is more of who we re.. from North to south, east to west.... Religion hasn't change us. From Pastor to Imam and to Traditionalist. We never desist from doing Bad thing.May God help us.

7 Likes

Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by donphilopus: 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2016
I thought they said the appointment of a Bishop in the Catholic Church is always determined by Vision?! I.e, whoever that's shown to them by God in vision. Did the Pope not see the person clearly before making the appointment?!

It seems the Anglican way of 'electing' Bishop is the best now! They 'elect' him not appoint.

3 Likes

Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Mekus68: 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2016
cktheluckyman:
What exactly is wrong with this mbaise people and their priests? How can someone after spending years in a Catholic seminary still end up as a tout?

Can you just shut the fvck up.
Was it Mbaise people that killed you in your first life.

4 Likes

Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Tochex101(m): 6:19pm On Jul 05, 2016
Confused lot, at the end of the day it still boils down to stomach infrastructure.
Like omotas fighting over "owoda" right at oshodi bustop.
Our people need to wake up.
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by doublewisdom: 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2016
Imagine what these people have turned The Holy Catholic Church into!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by otukpo(f): 6:30pm On Jul 05, 2016
If this account is true, it is a big embarrasment to the Church.
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by clefstone(m): 7:11pm On Jul 05, 2016
Sad iftrue
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by clefstone(m): 7:12pm On Jul 05, 2016
Sad if true
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Donclaracuzo: 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2016
Mekus68:

Can you just shut the fvck up.
Was it Mbaise people that killed you in your first life.

My friend go and sit down! Your kind are among those who make mockery of Catholic Church and refusing Okpaleke his divine appointment. Mbaise people should let this bishop thing go behind them. Those Rev Fr. are fighting for their selfish interest and not for the interest of the common congregants. They goofed and couldn't sort themselves out when Bishop Chikwe died. They politicized the bishop thing and it became a case of "it is our Turn" . To me, Let Bishop Okpaleke be allowed to answer his calls!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by obailala(m): 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2016
"So Buhari the tyrant in his bid to Islamize Nigeria is now arresting catholic priests and bishops in the guise of some conflict?.. this is what you get when you have an Okorohausa as the governor of the state. But we will not take it!" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by mrvitalis(m): 11:30pm On Jul 05, 2016
Donclaracuzo:

My friend go and sit down! Your kind are among those who make mockery of Catholic Church and refusing Okpaleke his divine appointment. Mbaise people should let this bishop thing go behind them. Those Rev Fr. are fighting for their selfish interest and not for the interest of the common congregants. They goofed and couldn't sort themselves out when Bishop Chikwe died. They politicized the bishop thing and it became a case of "it is our Turn" . To me, Let Bishop Okpaleke be allowed to answer his calls!
Bro I don't think any group in Nigeria has the type of reverend father density mbaise has... Mbaise has over 2000 reverend fathers and u can't see one of those fit to be the bishop??
Why must cardinal arinze appoint his brothers.. .

But u complain about buhari's government... smh for u
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Donclaracuzo: 2:53am On Jul 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

Bro I don't think any group in Nigeria has the type of reverend father density mbaise has... Mbaise has over 2000 reverend fathers and u can't see one of those fit to be the bishop??
Why must cardinal arinze appoint his brothers.. .

But u complain about buhari's government... smh for u

And Mbaise people politicized the bishop thing. They were allowed to produce their bishop within a certain period of time and they couldn't because of the selfish interest of some priest. In actual facts, the bishop should have been selected in a period of less than a year after the bishop died but, the Ahiazu, Aboh and the Ezinihitte our turn thing put them in jeopardy. Catholic church is not a community affairs thing rather, a universal institution. Pope is not an European nor an Italian. So, what a heck? I am in support of Bishop Okpaleke to be the Bishop of the Diocese even if he is from the moon. it will be a lesson to the Mbaise priests and to other people too. The new generation of priest we have these days are capitalist oriented priest that think only about wealth and not for the work they were ordained for. My brother, leave all these priest to learn their lesson. No body can blackmail me with " We have over 2000 priest thing". why didn't they sort their selves out for over two years the bishop died? Those priest are enjoying the situation now because, they are no longer remitting money to the dioceses and are ready to sabotage any thing that will change the status quo. it is a mafian thing. It started in Sicily!!!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:20am On Jul 06, 2016
Mbaise priest are just embarrassing the Catholic faith cool
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by jesse8048(m): 6:16am On Jul 06, 2016
Sometimes I just feel sick of the kind of embarrassment Christians bring to us.
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Divinehenrich(m): 6:30am On Jul 06, 2016
Have any thing decent ever come from Mbaise?
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Decibel: 6:38am On Jul 06, 2016
obailala:
"So Buhari the tyrant in his bid to Islamize Nigeria is now arresting catholic priests and bishops in the guise of some conflict?.. this is what you get when you have an Okorohausa as the governor of the state. But we will not take it!" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I wonder how you reason
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by obailala(m): 7:45am On Jul 06, 2016
Decibel:

I wonder how you reason
Sarcasm my friend..
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by mrvitalis(m): 7:54am On Jul 06, 2016
Donclaracuzo:

And Mbaise people politicized the bishop thing. They were allowed to produce their bishop within a certain period of time and they couldn't because of the selfish interest of some priest. In actual facts, the bishop should have been selected in a period of less than a year after the bishop died but, the Ahiazu, Aboh and the Ezinihitte our turn thing put them in jeopardy. Catholic church is not a community affairs thing rather, a universal institution. Pope is not an European nor an Italian. So, what a heck? I am in support of Bishop Okpaleke to be the Bishop of the Diocese even if he is from the moon. it will be a lesson to the Mbaise priests and to other people too. The new generation of priest we have these days are capitalist oriented priest that think only about wealth and not for the work they were ordained for. My brother, leave all these priest to learn their lesson. No body can blackmail me with " We have over 2000 priest thing". why didn't they sort their selves out for over two years the bishop died? Those priest are enjoying the situation now because, they are no longer remitting money to the dioceses and are ready to sabotage any thing that will change the status quo. it is a mafian thing. It started in Sicily!!!

But see nothing wrong in the brothers of cardinal arinze heading many diocese. .. but u see something wrong in buhari's appointments
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Donclaracuzo: 9:34am On Jul 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

But see nothing wrong in the brothers of cardinal arinze heading many diocese. .. but u see something wrong in buhari's appointments

A bu m onye Aboh Mbaise! Let us leave that propaganda. Okpaleke was used to settle the scores of those selfish priests who were bent on making mockery to the church!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by skelewu404(m): 9:41am On Jul 06, 2016
obailala:
u r a disgrace to mankind. just a condom could have saved us this shiiiit of a person u r. just do the world a favour n commit suicide.
thank u in advance
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by obailala(m): 9:52am On Jul 06, 2016
skelewu404:
u r a disgrace to mankind. just a condom could have saved us this shiiiit of a person u r. just do the world a favour n commit suicide.
thank u in advance
lol..
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by skelewu404(m): 9:54am On Jul 06, 2016
obailala:
lol..
am seriously vexing now because teeth dey pain me.so y r u laughing
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by mrvitalis(m): 10:17am On Jul 06, 2016
Donclaracuzo:

A bu m onye Aboh Mbaise! Let us leave that propaganda. Okpaleke was used to settle the scores of those selfish priests who were bent on making mockery to the church!
Lol am not even religious to start with
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by Donclaracuzo: 10:32am On Jul 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

Lol am not even religious to start with

Lolzzz! My brother, all these Rev Frs are something else. To materialistic and commit all sort of things. I know many of them who are not worthy to be on the pulpit to preach but are busy casting Okpaleke. To hell with them and desire for an indigenous Bishop! Many of our children are in many states and countries doing one or two jobs there and no community is saying otherwise. Even, I thinking of stopping my offertory to the church and focus on the needy more. I think God will bless me more that way than given it to church and those priests will use it to live flamboyant life!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by orisa37: 11:00am On Jul 06, 2016
12 Demons of the Devil arrested. May the evil in them perish IJN AMEN!!!!
Re: Imo Police Command Arrest Four Priests, Shuts Down Cathedral Over Dpo’s Shooting by obailala(m): 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2016
skelewu404:
am seriously vexing now because teeth dey pain me.so y r u laughing
I dey laugh you cos the more you look...... grin

(1) (Reply)

The Rise And Fall Of Muiz Banire. - All The Secrets You Need To Know. / How Goodluck Jonathan Landed Nigeria In Recession. / Photo Speaks: President Buhari Is Alive And Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.