Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (39350 Views)

Ronald, 27-Year-Old Nigerian Man Who Has Never Had An Erection Before. Photo / Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by stevecantrell: 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
Demilade name the drug you went to buy and the one offered you instead, otherwise youre just being a drama queen..

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2016
chichichilolo1:
That is what happens when one goes to consult a pharmacist when one is sick.pharmacists either produce or dispense drugs they are not trained to diagnose and treat diseases only a doctor does this.people will not hear, when you are sick visit a doctor and then a pharmacist to get the prescribed drugs not the other way around
That is a good summary of nigeria's problem righg there. And there are so many quack pharmacists ouf there too. The ones we usually call chemist.

InyinyaAgbaOku:

Pharmacists are not trained to take histories, so they shouldn't listen to histories either. Their job is to dispense drugs prescribed by doctors
IZANMI I
IZANMII
Pharmacist ask questions about health histories in developed countries. May not be as detailed as that of the doctor. Their recommendation or catch might be what could save your life.

1) Pharm reps working for pharmaceutical companies sometimes hide the side effects of drugs they promote to doctors in hospitals. They have targets to meet with good bonus rewards.
They are usually Sales professionals/marketers with a Pharmacy degree.

2) Doctor prescibes the drug based on what he/she knows from the discussion with the pharm rep.

3) It is that community pharmacists (safety net) that may save your life from the killer side effects his pharm rep colleague hid from the doctor.

If this is common in developed countries where regulations are strict, how much more in Nigeria where anything goes.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Pharmacists are not trained to take histories, so they shouldn't listen to histories either. Their job is to dispense drugs prescribed by doctors
IZANMI I
IZANMII
look at yourself?

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Period007(m): 10:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
just look at him.......his parents must have forced him to put up this write up to tarnish the image of pharmacists

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by OBITHAMONARCH(m): 10:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Doctors rarely make that mistake
i laff in Swahili! Ignorance is not an excuse in this present day o! You know nothing about doctors mistakes dear! Is it not the same doctors that prescribe vitamin C capsule? Or NSAIDS for patients with peptic ulcer disease? The list is endless dear. Better appreciate ur pharmacist more. They have been saving you from some of these medication errors

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 10:48pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

IZANMI I
IZANMII
You have read the pharmacy curriculum or you just assume?

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Juicysam(m): 10:54pm On Jul 09, 2016
Anybody can make mistakes.. I have seen prescriptions of artemether lumefantrine 80/480 for a 10 month child from a doc.. Or who do you blame for penicillin hypersensitivity when it occurs.. The pharmacist should have asked about patient some questions too.. How are we even sure it easy the pharmacist that attended to him?? To a layman anybody in a pharmacy is a pharmacist including the sales personnel.. No need to take a jab at any profession.. Abi nor be overdose of propofol by a physician kill Micheal Jackson..?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by FISAYOADEX(m): 10:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
What baffles me is the way all these allied health workers - pharmacists, nurses etc rush their children to the hospital to be seen by a Doctor and yet they will be bragging to know better.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

That is a good summary of nigeria's problem righg there. And there are so many quack pharmacists ouf there too. The ones we usually call chemist.

Pharmacist ask questions about health histories in developed countries. May not be as detailed as that of the doctor. Their recommendation or catch might be what could save your life.

1) Pharm reps sometimes hide the side effects of drugs they promote to doctors in hospitals. They have targets to meet with good bonus rewards.

2) Doctor prescibes the drug based on what he/she knows from the discussion with the pharm rep.

3) It is that community pharmacists (safety net) that may save your life from the killer side effects his pharm rep colleague hid from the doctor.

If this is common in developed countries where regulations are strict, how much more in Nigeria where anything goes.
Like doctors didn't study about drugs in school and research on drugs after school? Rely on pharmacist story kwa?
Even lay people read leaflets of drugs to know side effects and you are here yapping bout doctors
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

Really? U shldnt even be mkin dt comparison cos der's no basis for it...A pharmacists knows only d drug bt not d patient, n der4 has no biz prescribing...2 or more ppl may hv d same symptoms buh r seen as unique cases ,cos u rnt jes treating a disease buh also d person suffering from it(ie taking a wholesome approach)...So u see,knowing every tiny detail abt a drug isn't enuf(der's usually more 2 it)
pharmacists know about the drugs far more than you do, they also have a superior knowledge of therapeutics more than you do and as for prescribing, they prescribe within their areas of competence so stop saying trash.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
FISAYOADEX:
What baffles me is the way all these allied health workers - pharmacists, nurses etc rush their children to the hospital to be seen by a Doctor and yet they will be bragging to know better.
nobody is claiming to know better or taking jabs at doctors. Please read all the post above again, but read it slowly.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 11:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
OBITHAMONARCH:

Anty, if you dont know what a pharmacist knows, pls just keep quiet abeg. Have you heard of clinical pharmacy? Besides tiny details matter in the chemistry of drugs, which many doctors dont know about. We shouldnt be talking about who's better, rather, we should be a health team for a better healthcare delivery system. Thanks

Uncle,apparently u didn't understand what i wrote ,n u wer d one comparing both professions in d first place ,not i... In simple terms,der's no reason 2 compare both of em cos they do diff fnz n can only aid each another wer necessary bt not 4 any1 of em 2 tk over d oda person's duty....Der's a reason a doctor is a doctor ,n der's a reason a pharmacist is a pharmacist
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Like doctors didn't study about drugs in school and research on drugs after school? Rely on pharmacist story kwa?
Even lay people read leaflets of drugs to know side effects and you are here yapping bout doctors
Mr man. Do doctors spend 6 years learning about drug interaction at Uni? And would a doctor spend more time on drug research than his/her phamacist colleauge. In developed countries. Drug research moves so fast that if you as a pharmacist stay out of work for so long. You would be made to take provincials or state exams again. Can the same be said of doctors?
You think your busy doctor has time to study about drugs even outside his specialty when there are lots of patients to attend to?

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by LANRY9: 11:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
FOR CLARITY::::: PHARMACISTS ARE NOT PHYSICIANS...... d last time I checked , any professional can be a doctor... that's by the way...
no physician can ever claim to have more drug knowledge than a pharmacist(except for d outdated ones)... pharmacists are to be consulted.... d good thing is pharmacists around me frown at being called doctors... they don't parade themselves as doctors....I go to them because they are pharmacists.. & I am sure to explain my condition thoroughly before any drug recommendation...
PEOPLE need to understand that not everyone seen in drug store shld be referred to as a PHARMACIST... those guys are doing a good job..... after all na PHYSICIAN kill d great MICHAEL JACKSON, even my grandpa died because of d mistake a physician made, so what d heck!.....
DEMILADE i'm sure ur physician parents pushed u to write this...... don't confuse people

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by OBITHAMONARCH(m): 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

Uncle,apparently u didn't understand what i wrote ,n u wer d one comparing both professions in d first place ,not i... In simple terms,der's no reason 2 compare both of em cos they do diff fnz n can only aid each another wer necessary bt not 4 any1 of em 2 tk over d oda person's duty....Der's a reason a doctor is a doctor ,n der's a reason a pharmacist is a pharmacist
Oh, so U know this? Wonder why you were talking about what Pharmacists didnt know.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by FISAYOADEX(m): 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

nobody is claiming to know better or taking jabs at doctors. Please read all the post above again, but read it slowly.
By prescribing drugs for other people's children and treating them in your home instead of asking them to go and see a Doctor shows that you are claiming to know better than a Doctor. You wouldn't take your own sick child to be seen by a fellow pharmacist or nurse, why do you experiment with other people's children or relatives? Do unto others what you want to be done to you!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by OBITHAMONARCH(m): 11:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
LANRY9:
FOR CLARITY::::: PHARMACISTS ARE NOT PHYSICIANS...... d last time I checked , any professional can be a doctor... that's by the way...
no physician can ever claim to have more drug knowledge than a pharmacist(except for d outdated ones)... pharmacists are to be consulted.... d good thing is pharmacists around me frown at being called doctors... they don't parade themselves as doctors....I go to them because they are pharmacists.. & I am sure to explain my condition thoroughly before any drug recommendation...
PEOPLE need to understand that not everyone seen in drug store shld be referred to as a PHARMACIST... those guys are doing a good job..... after all na PHYSICIAN kill d great MICHAEL JACKSON, even my grandpa died because of d mistake a physician made, so what d heck!.....
DEMILADE i'm sure ur physician parents pushed u to write this...... don't confuse people
God bless you sir for this enlightenment! 10000000000 likes for you o

3 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

They may know more about the chemical formulae but the drug disease relationship is reserved for doctors.
what do you know about drug interactions? when we talk about drug interactions, you should know we have different types Viz; drug-drug interaction, drug-food, and drug- organ interactions and drud-disease interaction. there's this course called ethical dispensing in pharmacy school and screening for drug interactions is one of the components of the course, there's no such thing in medical school so stop saying what you know nothing about. even the pharmacology and toxicology they do is taken in pharmacy faculty by pharmacist. The pharmacists knows everything about medications more than any health personnel and real doctors know that but not the ones flaunting ignorance on nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

pharmacists know about the drugs far more than you do, they also have a superior knowledge of therapeutics more than you do and as for prescribing, they prescribe within their areas of competence so stop saying trash.

Read my post again,der was no argument abt a pharmacist knowing abt drugs better dan doctors....I simply said it tks more dan knowing drugs 2 manage/successfully treat a patient,so a pharmacist shld do his own job n not d doctor's (doctors 2 shld stay on their lane)

NB:Try 2 be polite wen expressing urslf,u didn't hv 2 say I was saying trash 2 get ur msg across.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by ObadinaAminat(f): 11:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
Please,let us knw d name of the drug prescribed by the doctor, and the name of the drug given by the Pharmacist. So from there,we will know where the problem lies. Pls don't forget to mention wot the person is going thru Presently.thanks
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

Mr man. Do doctors spend 6 years learning about drug interaction at Uni? And would a doctor spend more time on drug research than his/her phamacist colleauge. In developed countries. Drug research moves so fast that if you as a pharmacist stay out of work for so long. You would be made to take provincials or state exams again. Can the same be said of doctors?
You think your busy doctor has time to study about drugs even outside his specialty when there are lots of patients to attend to?
Doctors study about drugs, in ways that you cant imagine. They have the primary ownership ofthe patient and as such study the pathological, investigative,/laboratory and pharmacological /non pharmacogical aspect of the patient.
A doc is expected toknow so much.
What is hard about side effects?
They read it up
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by ObadinaAminat(f): 11:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
[quote author=stevecantrell post=47381057]Demilade name the drug you went to buy and the one offered you instead, otherwise youre just being a drama queen..[/quotes

Exactly pls
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by chigoizie7(m): 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

no pharmacist Will ever give you antibiotics for 2 wks because we know it does to the immune system and body cells when taken for long. we produce these drugs please. Enough of this cheap blackmail. pharmacists are the gate between life and death. we prevent doctors and nurses from killing you.

Buy
Tab Erythromycin500mg
Tab Prednisolone 100mg
Tab Ventolin 4mg.

And was asked to comeback after two weeks.

I shouldn't have done this but u telling me that a pharmacist couldn't prescribe such made it look like I made these things up.

Dere are good pharmacists and there are bad ones too. U can't just tell me that pharmacists can't make such mistakes, so far, the OP and I are on the same note here(bad pharmacists). What does that tell u?

I am not here to paint u guys black.

I know u would be upset the same way a good police officer would be when u tell him that police officers are bad (naija police).
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 11:21pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

what do you know about drug interactions? when we talk about drug interactions, you should know we have different types Viz; drug-drug interaction, drug-food, and drug- organ interactions and drud-disease interaction. there's this course called ethical dispensing in pharmacy school and screening for drug interactions is one of the components of the course, there's no such thing in medical school so stop saying what you know nothing about. even the pharmacology and toxicology they do is taken in pharmacy faculty by pharmacist. The pharmacists knows everything about medications more than any health personnel and real doctors know that but the ones flaunting ignorance on nairaland.

4rm what d person u quoted wrote,he meant doctors knw d pathophysiology of disease conditions berra dan pharmacists... I don't get ur argument,r u saying pharmacists knw it better? Mbok clarify
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 11:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Period007:
just look at him.......his parents must have forced him to put up this write up to tarnish the image of pharmacists
Hahahaha... At his age?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lisaflex:

Read my post again,der was no argument abt a pharmacist knowing abt drugs better dan doctors....I simply said it tks more dan knowing drugs 2 manage/successfully treat a patient,so a pharmacist shld do his own job n not d doctor's (doctors 2 shld stay on their lane)

NB:Try 2 be polite wen expressing urslf,u didn't hv 2 say I was saying trash 2 get ur msg across.
it takes more than knowing drugs which is true but without the knowledge of drugs and therapeutics patients care can never be achieved and these are the area of core competence of a clinical pharmacist.
A doctor have a superior knowledge of dxs but needs the knowledge of a pharmacist for good treatment outcomes

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 11:26pm On Jul 09, 2016
FISAYOADEX:
Hmmm my friend! That is a story for another day. They don't joke when it comes to their own na. If Na you nko? You go dey do trial and error? Besides, doctors are even advised to present their wards to other docs for assessment and treatment because of avoidable complications.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 11:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
FISAYOADEX:
Hmmm my friend! That is a story for another day. They don't joke when it comes to their own na. If na you nko? You go dey do trial and error? Besides, doctors are even advised to present their wards to other docs for assessment and treatment because of avoidable complications. If you ask me, those are sharp ones. Eni o gbon laawe ngbo grin grin

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 11:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
OBITHAMONARCH:

Oh, so U know this? Wonder why you were talking about what Pharmacists didnt know.

I was talking abt what pharmacists do not knw ,cos a pharmacist crossed his lane(4rm wot d op wrote)...If d pharmacist was going 2 offer a drug he considered better dan d one prescribed or asked 4,den he shld hv been able ask d relevant question seeing as d drug he offered d dude is contraindicated in asthmatics.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cityguy: 11:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

Well, my friend, docs are expected to take CMEs and accumulate points so they could be licences to practice on yearly basis, however busy you are! Not sure how phars have their licences renewed and if they do CMEs too or the conditions involved. Just to bring that to your attention esp as regards your view of them being too busy to renew and acquire more knowledge.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
chigoizie7:

Buy
Tab Erythromycin500mg
Tab Prednisolone 100mg
Tab Ventolin 4mg.

And was asked to comeback after two weeks.

I shouldn't have done this but u telling me that a pharmacist couldn't prescribe such made it look like I made these things up.

Dere are good pharmacists and there are bad ones too. U can't just tell me that pharmacists can't make such mistakes, so far, the OP and I are on the same note here(bad pharmacists). What does that tell u?

I am not here to paint u guys black.

I know u would be upset the same way a good police officer would be when u tell him that police officers are bad (naija police).

how do you want me to believe this when the duration and frequency of administration wasn't indicated? I insist you don't take antibiotics for long without doing labs and being monitored. I believe you visited one of these professionals running patent stores. look at the steriods, no pxcists will give you that for 2 wks straight
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 11:38pm On Jul 09, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

it takes more than knowing drugs which is true but without the knowledge of drugs and therapeutics patients care can never be achieved and these are the area of core competence of a clinical pharmacist.
A doctor have a superior knowledge of dxs but needs the knowledge of a pharmacist for good treatment outcomes

A doctor doesn't need d knowledge of a pharmacist in every situation(don't forget doctors do pharmacology 2,jes not as wide as pharmacists)...He(doctor) only consults a pharmacist wen necessary(maybe wen he is in a dilemma of some sort)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Female Uniben Student Goes Mad In Lagos, Strips Unclad, Dances On Expressway(pic / Hallitosis(Mouth Odour) Has Finished Me; Pls Help A Brother / 13-Year-Old Pregnant Akwa Ibom Girl To Undergo Caesarean Operation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.