Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,673 members, 7,816,760 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (39329 Views)

Ronald, 27-Year-Old Nigerian Man Who Has Never Had An Erection Before. Photo / Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by uyplus(m): 7:29am On Jul 10, 2016
AdoraAmadi:
Demilader pictured below nearly lost his life today after a pharmacist didn't give him a drug he came to his shop to buy and instead, asked him to buy the 'better' one he prescribed.

Read Demi's story below.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/07/you-are-not-doctors-nigerian-man-who.html

lalasticlala

Silly.. A doctor almost killed my friend's 7year old son yesterday by prescribing amoxiclav 625mg BD. A boy of just 30kg all just he an 80/160 widal result. They boy suffered hepatomegaly after the 3rd day of treatment and wasnt even getting any better. He was then brought to a friend's pharmacy who then placed him on cefiixme, this guy is now hale and hearty. I even have doctor friends who have made heavy prescription errors that only God knows wether their clients ever survived it. Imagine placing someone on flucunazole 150mg tds for 5days. There are quack pharmacists and sadly he visited one, just as there are lots of quack doctors who kill patient on the daily. He should come abroad and see how pharmacy is practiced in a hospital, the doctor must call the pharmacist to tell him what drug he is considering placing the patient on and the doaage, the pharmacist then screens their treatment plan for errors and also advise for possible better drug alternatives, before going ahead to apporve the prescription for dispensing..

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 10, 2016
nacozee:
And wat happened to directing the man to check another pharmacy? paracetamol and ibuprofen are not always alternatives to each other, as the patient may have peptic ulcer which rules out ibuprofen. u dont give alternatives wen u dont have patient medical/drug history.This is just greed
do you have an idea of what we call drug disease interactions? that's one of the things px students do in therapeutics and ethical dispensing. no pxcists will ever fill a prescription without screening it. pharmacists know whole lots about dx and presence of other co-morbid conditions.
The problem is Dr's don't trust pxcists enough and is also same for pxcists not trusting the Dr's too.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
Get out of here! Are you saying there's no collaborative practice between your pharmacist and your doctor? pharmacists produce the drug your doctor prescribe for you so don't react as if they no nothing. who knows maybe you visited a patent medicine dealer. pharmacists know lots about medications than your doctors. No pharmacist will ever give you a drug you'll adversely to because they know so well about drug reactions.
Before you take any drug make sure you talk to the pharmacist. They are the best resource you can ever get on drugs.

This should not turn to pharmacists vs others bashing thread though!
my broda e don turn to already. Trust nairaland folks
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 10, 2016
Silvofitz:

I'm aware those who are educated in character and learning present their arguments with decorum rather than validating their foolishness in the public by resorting to abuses and insults.
I'm equally aware that the best prescription for oral diarrhea is silence.
it is said that "ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 10, 2016
Sgwash:

No doubt, pharmacists are good... what if he prescribes d right drug for a particular ailment, buh contraindicated cos of a co morbidity the patient has Doctors do extensive studies as to this regard because it can send a man who is hale and hearty, to his seemingly early grave. Thank you!!!
do you have an idea of what we call drug disease interactions? that's one of the things px students do in therapeutics and ethical dispensing. no pxcists will ever fill a prescription without screening it. While screening you check for different types of interactions so pharmacists know whole lots about dx and presence of other co-morbid conditions.
The problem is Dr's don't trust pxcists enough and is also same for pxcists not trusting the Dr's too.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by eleojo23: 7:48am On Jul 10, 2016
nacozee:
Are u saying they shud rather cover up such unethical practice by some pharmacists who dont know their boundaries? patient management is never the duty of a pharmacist, they only dispatch drugs prescribed by a doctor and according to the prescription only. Any modification is fraud
Patient management is not part of the pharmacist's duty?
I can see that a lot of people are ignorant about the role of pharmacists. For your information, in some countries, pharmacists independently manage patients with chronic illnesses.
Take a look at the article below:
http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/event/how-a-pharmacist-prescriber-can-manage-patients-with-renal-anaemia/11122987.article

Presently in Nigeria, pharmacists are being equipped to become more efficient in patient management.
They however have their limits.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 10, 2016
Good morning..
To Well meaning Nigerians.. .
It baffles me when a pharmacist equates him or herself to a Medical Doctor.. .
They should equate themselves to NATIVE DOCTORS before going to the Medical Doctors.

A truthful NIGERIAN PHARMACIST had intentions of studying MEDICINE and SURGERY ab initio....
Even the PHARMACISTS want their kids to study MEDICINE
Most FEMALE PHARMACISTS want to get married to the Medical Doctors, which is their utmost priority.
I think the earlier Medical Doctors start proposing to them, the more interesting the situation becomes.
PHARMACISTS rush their wives, husbands, kids and Parents to the Medical Doctors (Hospitals) in times of Emergency.
So why don't they manage them at homes, factories or pharmacy retail outlets..and watch out for recovery. .. ?
Since u are better than the Medical Doctors, then follow my instructions as stated above..
grin grin grin
So what's all these nonsense ..?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by eleojo23: 8:02am On Jul 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:
Good morning..
They should equate themselves to NATIVE DOCTORS before going to the Medical Doctors.

A truthful NIGERIAN PHARMACIST had intentions of studying MEDICINE and SURGERY ab initio....
Most FEMALE PHARMACISTS want to get married to the Medical Doctors, which is their utmost priority.
I think the earlier Medical Doctors start proposing to them, the more interesting the situation becomes.
PHARMACISTS rush their wives, husbands, kids and Parents to the Medical Doctors (Hospitals) in times of Emergency.
So why don't they manage them at homes or pharmacy retail outlets..and watch out for recovery. .. ?
Since u are better than the Medical Doctors, then follow my instructions as stated above..
grin grin grin
"A truthful Nigerian pharmacist had intentions of studying medicine"
This your argument is stale. That is what they tell you guys in med school but it is not true.
I have discovered to my utter disappointment that a lot of doctors (who are supposes to be very knowledgeable) are ignorant about pharmacists. They just assume a lot of things about pharmacists.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 10, 2016
nacozee:
Are u saying they shud rather cover up such unethical practice by some pharmacists who dont know their boundaries? patient management is never the duty of a pharmacist, they only dispatch drugs prescribed by a doctor and according to the prescription only. Any modification is fraud
I pray your own medications are dispatched to you without doing the needful on it.
do you have an idea of what we call medication therapy management or therapeutic drug monitoring? it seems Nigerian GP will go on everlastingly strike by the time pxcists starts practicing to their full potentials. Dr's hate seeing pxcists coming into the wards to interact with the patients. pharmacy practice is growing and expanding by the day. You can work on yours. stop flaunting ignorance here.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 10, 2016
eleojo23:

"A truthful Nigerian pharmacist had intentions of studying medicine"
This your argument is stale. That is what they tell you guys in med school but it is not true.
I have discovered to my utter disappointment that a lot of doctors (who are supposes to be very knowledgeable) are ignorant about pharmacists. They just assume a lot of things about pharmacists.
In moments of Medical Emergencies, Please Can u rush your KID or AGED PARENTS to your pharmacist or to the Medical Doctors... . for intervention.?
Please, whom do u rush to..?
Just an answer, Please..
Say the truth and shame the devil...
Today na Sunday ooooo

Truth is Bitter
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 10, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Pharmacology covers thesethigs and the knowledge is on the net as well. Doctors are aware of them. Pharmacists only know about the chemical structure and drawings more
congrats!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:

In moment of Medical Emergencies, Please Can u rush your KID to your pharmacist or the Medical Doctors.?
Just an answer, Please..

Truth is Bitter
it depends on the type of emergency. by the way, how many cases of medical emergency do we encounter during the course of the day? We all have our areas of core competence.
Most Dr's are just jack of all trade and master of none.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 8:28am On Jul 10, 2016
nacozee:
And wat happened to directing the man to check another pharmacy? paracetamol and ibuprofen are not always alternatives to each other, as the patient may have peptic ulcer which rules out ibuprofen. u dont give alternatives wen u dont have patient medical/drug history.This is just greed
Alternatives in terms of brand names,same generics.I don't think that is outside the scope of a pharmacist to do.
Of course you won't give ibuprofen as an alternative to paracetamol.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by gagewonda(m): 8:33am On Jul 10, 2016
D guy didnt inform d pharmacist abt d fact he's asthmatic. As for me naija doctors r overated . A gud pharmacists is better dan a naija doctor in drug prescription. Only in surgical aspects doctors dey show demselves nd most of dem can only carry out surgery on mice nd cadaver. Lols sorry doctors, i sound like dis cos u guys hav lost my respect....na only women una sabi chase nd take advantage of

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

it depends on the type of emergency. by the way, how many cases of medical emergency do we encounter during the course of the day? We all have our areas of core competence.
Most Dr's are just jack of all trade and master of none.
Now u were reasoning well, until u deviated.
Medical Doctors I know vividly, can be masters in different areas...
We have Surgeons, Obstericians, paediatricians..
Please assist me name them. .. grin

IF only every Pharmacist can be like my WIFE..
I respect her wishes so much, but she dares not cross her boundary...
I even consult her Opinion on some drug issues, ..
That's doesn't make her more knowledgeable, when it comes to versatility...
I LOVE PHARMACISTS..., they make me feel noble.
However, I still remain a NATIVE DOCTOR grin

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 8:37am On Jul 10, 2016
OBITHAMONARCH:

And you know the Pharmacist did not ask relevant questions because you were there? Besides, how did you know that the drug was contraindicated in asthmatics, when the OP did not mention the name of the drug? Have you heard of idiosyncrasy? This might be one of such cases o.

D story dt started all ds brouhaha inferred dt d drug he was given was known 2 cause side effects in asthmatics (ie hw i came abt it being contraindicated )...However, seeing as "unltd" has uploaded a screen grab of a more detailed acct of wat happened, idiosyncracy is d ish
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 8:44am On Jul 10, 2016
247notire:
LisaFlex go to bed tongue
tongue
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by sexylips6186: 8:51am On Jul 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:
Good morning..

So why don't they manage them at homes, factories or pharmacy retail outlets..and watch out for recovery. .. ?
grin grin grin

Evilforest or wateva ur name is called, I can see dat u av no idea of medicine. So shut up n go 2 where u belong... Hell cos all ur trash r from der

I have a lot of unemployed male doctors begging female Pharmacists to marry them cos dey don't know where dia future r heading to. Whereas, Pharmacists selects jobs.

Go to govt hospitals, most of d drugs doctors prescribed to patients r either wrong or unnecessary.
Next time u visit one, compare d drugs prescribed to u with 2 or 3 oda patients, u'll see dat its d same thing whereas ir complaints r entirely different.

Back 2 d mata, d victim in question was just trying to 2 advertise his parents hospital cos a lot of people wld rather visit a pharmacy outlets Dan patronise dia so called hospital.

The drug he complained abt 'Azithromycin' is very good 4 upper respiratory tract infection which he complained of n also not contraindicated in asthmatic patient.

Summary, he just want 2 tarnish d image of Pharmacists.

Advise to Evilforest: Pls always use Google b4 u comment on any issue relating to drugs n paramedics.
THANKS.

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by deltateam: 8:51am On Jul 10, 2016
thorpido:
There was nothing wrong with what the pharmacist did.If there is no particular drug,the pharmacist can give alternatives.It's what they are trained to do.
The problem was not taking history and the victim here not volunteering such information.

That is why the dude said pharmacists should leave that work to doctors. If it were a doctor a doctor would ask preliminary questions, do routine checkup and tests before recommending drugs or injections based on analyzed data. Doctors are more thorough.

Pharmacists their own is similar to market traders that try to convince you on why you should sumec generator meanwhile they don't have Yamaha generator you came for?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by LANRY9: 8:52am On Jul 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:
Good morning..

grin grin grin
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 8:52am On Jul 10, 2016
achieverme:

And did the post say the drug the patient asked for wasn't available?
The post didn't say if it was either.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by felixomor: 8:53am On Jul 10, 2016
flexshop:
Lol, funny Nigerians.
A pharmacist actually has more knowledge on drugs than doctors.
Don't get me wrong, you didn't discus at length with your pharmacist on your medical history
A pharmacist can actually change your prescription or refer you back to your GP if need be.
Stop fueling professional wars.

And doctors know the human body more than the pharm.
So at the end of the day, the drug still comes to the human body, the end point.
So just listen to the good doctor.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:
Now u were reasoning well, until u deviated. Medical Doctors I know vividly, can be masters in different areas... We have Surgeons, Obstericians, paediatricians.. Please assist me name them. .. grin
IF only every Pharmacist can be like my WIFE.. I respect her wishes so much, but she dares not cross her boundary... I even consult her Opinion on some drug issues, .. That's doesn't make her more knowledgeable, when it comes to versatility... I LOVE PHARMACISTS..., they make me feel noble. However, I still remain a NATIVE DOCTOR grin
comprehension is your problem
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 10, 2016
I do know about personalised medicine but come to think of it what type of GP will prescribe ciprofloxacin as antibiotic for an asthmatic? Azithromycin is more idea for his condition since there's no other known or disclosed co-morbid condition. Ciporofloxacin is not a drug of choice as quinolones is used cautiously cos of its effects on the thorax of asthmatics and also children below age 14.
drugs are not given anyhow, it's given first to experimental animals in pharmacology and then real patients in therapeutics while being monitored.
I thought he was also a hypertensive who was given salbutamol and then reacted due to it's cross activity on the airways.
you reacted to the drug, your consultant parent and uncle should have documented and then report to the pxcovigilance centre in the hospital or NAFDAC
I suspect something about the OP. He's frustrated and doing this just to tarnish the hard earned reputation of pxcists.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by cutediva87(f): 9:14am On Jul 10, 2016
duvie92:
A doctor that didn't know about his condition could have prescribed that drug also.
that is the point, before a doctor will prescribe any drug he must have gotten your medical history, but the pharmacist on the other hand know nothing about thank except what you are currently facing. God help us.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by lilyheaven: 9:16am On Jul 10, 2016
Juxtified:
The eternal war between doctors and pharmacists. When doctors prescribe medications the pharmacist who doesn't know why that particular drug was prescribed will change it and decide to give a 'better' drug. Most times the ignorant patient goes along with it. Only the more enlightened ones insist on getting the drug prescribed by the doctor
they will even ask you, what type of doctor is this that proscribed such drug for you? abeg take this one it is Bette
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Ebipower: 9:23am On Jul 10, 2016
Pharmacists are more grounded in d knowledge of drugs Dan anyoda.The patient did not go with a prescription rather went to buy a drug dat works for him.......The question is..What is d name of ds drug?what are its indication nd contraindications?what r d side effects?.what did he take with the drug?.....A professional Pharmacist will counsel u on all these b4 dispensing ds drug.#pharmacistsarenotdoctors!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by datigbogirl: 9:31am On Jul 10, 2016
thorpido:
There was nothing wrong with what the pharmacist did.If there is no particular drug,the pharmacist can give alternatives.It's what they are trained to do.
The problem was not taking history and the victim here not volunteering such information.

Why the pharmacist sef no take history?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by datigbogirl: 9:43am On Jul 10, 2016
sexylips6186:

Evilforest or wateva ur name is called, I can see dat u av no idea of medicine. So shut up n go 2 where u belong... Hell cos all ur trash r from der

I have a lot of unemployed male doctors begging female Pharmacists to marry them cos dey don't know where dia future r heading to. Whereas, Pharmacists selects jobs.

Go to govt hospitals, most of d drugs doctors prescribed to patients r either wrong or unnecessary.
Next time u visit one, compare d drugs prescribed to u with 2 or 3 oda patients, u'll see dat its d same thing whereas ir complaints r entirely different.

Back 2 d mata, d victim in question was just trying to 2 advertise his parents hospital cos a lot of people wld rather visit a pharmacy outlets Dan patronise dia so called hospital.

The drug he complained abt 'Azithromycin' is very good 4 upper respiratory tract infection which he complained of n also not contraindicated in asthmatic patient.

Summary, he just want 2 tarnish d image of Pharmacists.

Advise to Evilforest: Pls always use Google b4 u comment on any issue relating to drugs n paramedics.
THANKS.

Which male doctor is jobless and doesn't know where his future is heading to? Maybe a doctor of philosophy or one whose license has been revoked by the MDCN....

I got a job paying me 80k/month in a Pp just 2weeks after finishing school b4 i eventually went for hj.... There's no jobless doctor i know of my dear.... Maybe he's one of the above or looking for a better offer.... Ig may however be so abroad because of the thoroughness over there but if he applies to a be a nurse he'll write their exams which he'll most likely pass and getting a decent wonderful job as a nurse pending the time he'll get matched for a residency training as is done abroad....

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by slimbeatz(m): 11:02am On Jul 10, 2016
This is one of the few sensible comments av been reading since.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Whiteguru1179: 11:05am On Jul 10, 2016
Obiochajumbo123:
Healthcare delivery is a team work and every player is important. A good hospital cleaner should be proud of his or her job designation because he or she shares the responsibilty for every life saved . Unfortunately, we have a system where people are not proud of the parts they play, hence, they encroach on those of others to seek fulfilment.
The art and science of drug prescription is not just about the drug. It is actually more about the patient. Also, a doctor's prescription is not just about the information he gets from listening to the patient, it is also about information he gets by observing and examining the patient and from a lot of investigations. It takes a lot of training to be a doctor and I reckon that is also true for a pharmacist. It would be better if both should strive to be very good at what they do rather than encroach on the responsibilities of the other.

This is the exact problem we have in the Nigerian Health Sector. Outside this country, a nurse is proud of his or her job and responsibility as being contributory to the saving of a life, whether it is bedside monitoring of vital signs or nursing the patient at Angle 45 degrees or regular turning of the hemiplegia patient on bed to avoid sores. They see this as equally if not more important than the duty of the doctor who prescribed such nursing care. A pharmacist, outside this country has his self esteem so intact that he does not have criticize a prescription just for the sake of taking perks at the doctor who prescribed it. Other health workers outside this country know that they are equally important in healthcare service delivery and are duly rewarded according their roles without any inferiority complex. But Nigerian health workers are so feeling inferior that they think that doctors are always claiming to be superiors. Doctors are not superiors, it is just a matter of roles. The pharmacists should play their roles, while nurses should play theirs and let the cleaners and orderlies do theirs. No one is superior! Just do your job that's all we ask as Nigerians!

2 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Cutehector(m): 11:18am On Jul 10, 2016
Naavah:

200000000likes.
hey watsup, it your boy hector. pls I wish to solicit for your vote for falconey for mr nairaland. Just as u voted in d last contest, ur vote will go along way in crowning him. Thanks. Looking foward to a favorable reply from u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Zambian Fr Kenan Chibawe Commits Suicide After Receiving A Strange Call / Hallitosis(Mouth Odour) Has Finished Me; Pls Help A Brother / Female Uniben Student Goes Mad In Lagos, Strips Unclad, Dances On Expressway(pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.