Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow (4138 Views)

Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria / How Much Will It Cost To Lay The Foundation (only) Of A 3 Bedroom Flat / DIY: Construction Of A 3-bedroom Bungalow [Ikorodu North LGA Isiwu] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by larryblack007(m): 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
Please engineers in the house. I want to start building a low cost 3 bedroom bungalow soon.Is it a must to use pillars for the building,am considering the cost but condition of the country now is so drastic. Planning to make the foundation very solid.It's going to be all ensuite.I'll be very grateful for your advices.Thanks all.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
I'm not an engineer but recently built two bungalows.

I used pillars on my foundations because even though my land is rocky it is on a slope.

A local bricklayer that is familiar with the area can help ascertain what is needed.

Please note that I am not saying that you should not consult a soil expert , this depends on your risk aversion. I did not consult a soil expert and simply trusted those with knowledge of the area but added pillars.

Picture of your blueprint may help.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by larryblack007(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thanks a lot egunmogaji,really appreciate your advice. Does it mean i can just use pillars for the foundation only?that would be okay so far the land is a solid and no sloppy land though.I'll attach the pix of the land in due course.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by johnson232: 6:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
larryblack007:
Thanks a lot egunmogaji,really appreciate your advice. Does it mean i can just use pillars for the foundation only?that would be okay so far the land is a solid and no sloppy land though.I'll attach the pix of the land in due course.
is the land a dry one or waterlogged?
if it is waterlogged u may consider using pillars, but if it is dry one, no need.
it is just 3bedroom bungalow.
just make sure your block ratio per bag is moderate. i would advise nothing more than 30-35blocks per bag. that's all u need.
@bold, u can't use pillars for foundation only.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by johnson232: 6:32pm On Jul 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm not an engineer but recently built two bungalows.

I used pillars on my foundations because even though my land is rocky it is on a slope.

A local bricklayer that is familiar with the area can help ascertain what is needed.

Please note that I am not saying that you should not consult a soil expert , this depends on your risk aversion. I did not consult a soil expert and simply trusted those with knowledge of the area but added pillars.

Picture of your blueprint may help.
hmmm
soil test for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
larryblack007:

The best decision maker is actually your local guys on site on the ground.

I cannot stress this enough.

PS: If it were me, I would at least do pillars for the foundation and terminate them at german floor level.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
johnson232:

hmmm
soil test for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

Yes. I'm shocked that you asked this question actually.

Go and look at a Spyder880s build that the ground looked okay but they hit water very quickly as they dug the footings.

Soil test is not only about load carrying capacity but also about the consistency.

I'm not the educator on this but I ask you to do proper research so that you can be better informed. If you care.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by johnson232: 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yes. I'm shocked that you asked this question actually.
Go and look at a Spyder880s build that the ground looked okay but they hit water very quickly as they dug the footings.

Soil test is not only about load carrying capacity but also about the consistency.

I'm not the educator on this but I ask you to do proper research so that you can be better informed. If you care.
u are on point... just that i was much concerned abt the load carrying capacity. since it's a bungalow. i believe any prospective land buyer should enquire abt the land, before buying. people living around can help with useful info.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by johnson232: 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The best decision maker is actually your local guys on site on the ground.

I cannot stress this enough.

PS: If it were me, I would at least do pillars for the foundation and terminate them at german floor level.
that will mean doing a ground beam to terminate the pillars? more cost, just for a 3 bungalow? or do u terminate columns at will in your build? & it isn't advisable, pillars are to be terminated at head level with head beam.
if the land is a dry one, no need for pillars, just good cement/block ratio is ok.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
johnson232:

that will mean doing a ground beam to terminate the pillars? more cost, just for a 3 bungalow? or do u terminate columns at will in your build? & it isn't advisable, pillars are to be terminated at head level with head beam.
if the land is a dry one, no need for pillars, just good cement/block ratio is ok.

Respecting the fact that OP shared a financial concern which is admirable but I can only relate my own personal opinions based on my builds.

I have in at least two occasions refered the OP to professional builders of which I am none.

What I did on my personal build soothed me perfectly and was signed on by pros on my site.

We'll have to disagree that pillars are not necessary on small buildings.

There are two elements that I don't screw around with on buildings and they are foundation and roofing.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by johnson232: 7:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Respecting the fact that OP shared a financial concern which is admirable but I can only relate my own personal opinions based on my builds.

I have in at least two occasions refered the OP to professional builders of which I am none.

What I did on my personal build soothed me perfectly and was signed on by pros on my site.

We'll have to disagree that pillars are not necessary on small buildings.

There are two elements that I don't screw around with on buildings and they are foundation and roofing.
ok sir... but pillars are not necessary for small bungalows...
most people introduced pillars into bungalows because of parapet.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
johnson232:

ok sir... but pillars are not necessary for small bungalows...
most people introduced pillars into bungalows because of parapet.

You probably need to stop over generalizing. This is why buildings collapse all over the place in Nigeria.

What a building needs is best determined by lessoned and seasoned folks on the ground.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by nutripot: 9:20pm On Jul 09, 2016
[size=28pt]What type question is this? You are trying to build a solid house and you are asking whether you will need pillars?

My brother if your money never complete don't build something that will collapse with heavy rain soon.

[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by abouzaid: 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You probably need to stop over generalizing. This is why buildings collapse all over the place in Nigeria.

What a building needs is best determined by lessoned and seasoned folks on the ground.
i support this totally, pillars are not necessary on small bungalows but only the local guys or an experienced builder can have the final say.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Larwin(m): 10:48am On Jul 10, 2016
@larryblack007, where is your site located. Dat will speak a lot about studies or soil test u have to conduct. And eventually type of foundation to do. U can't just judge by sight seeing.

If you are sure the soil properties are OK and stable. Then you don't need any pillar what so ever.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by larryblack007(m): 2:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
The land is located at ayetoro-itele.... Any idea about the land there? I thank u all.
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Larwin(m): 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
larryblack007:
The land is located at ayetoro-itele.... Any idea about the land there? I thank u all.
Ayetoro-itele is a sedimentary environment though some part r basesment... Meaning it's a transition zone.

Particular to your site, just try n get a good foundation, maybe raft. dnt cut cost here...
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by adebaxton(m): 8:55am On Jul 11, 2016
larryblack007:

Ayetoro-itele axis is more of a dry land, I advise you use pillars in your foundation then terminate some at the German floor but make sure the 4 corners of the house still maintain pillars continuously.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 11, 2016
adebaxton:

Ayetoro-itele axis is more of a dry land, I advise you use pillars in your foundation then terminate some at the German floor but make sure the 4 corners of the house still maintain pillars continuously.

Mr. Ade, your reputation precedes you Sir.

Might you be chanced to educate the house on this astute thought process?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by adebaxton(m): 8:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Mr. Ade, your reputation precedes you Sir.

Might you be chanced to educate the house on this astute thought process?

Thanks.

In order not to compromise quality, I advice the corners of the outer wall to have a continuous column at every 3m intervals, it gives support to the building and also minimize any crack whatsoever.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
adebaxton:

In order not to compromise quality, I advice the corners of the outer wall to have a continuous column at every 3m intervals, it gives support to the building and also minimize any crack whatsoever.

are u talking abt the four corners, that is just 4 pillars or 3m along the exterior wall?
does this your 3m intervals column system apply to all bungalow, including those on dry land?

a bungalow to be built on a dry land, will have columns at 3m intervals, when it is not carrying parapet, what for?
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by adebaxton(m): 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
skelefish:

are u talking abt the four corners, that is just 4 pillars or 3m along the exterior wall?
does this your 3m intervals column system apply to all bungalow, including those on dry land?

a bungalow to be built on a dry land, will have columns at 3m intervals, when it is not carrying parapet, what for?
You never can say if the op wants that. Low cost doesn't mean just an anyhow building.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
adebaxton:

You never can say if the op wants that. Low cost doesn't mean just an anyhow building.
i am not making reference to the op sir, is abt your application of columns on bungalow.
what is your definition of anyhow building?
so a modest 3 bungalow without columns @ 3m intervals, but erected with quality vibrated blocks under strict supervision is an anyhow building?
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
skelefish:

i am not making reference to the op sir, is abt your application of columns on bungalow.
what is your definition of anyhow building?
so a modest 3 bungalow without columns @ 3m intervals, but erected with quality vibrated blocks under strict supervision is an anyhow building?

Okay so OP, you need to become an expert on what's a quality vibrated block is.

Else use pillars.

You'll find most use those pillars for peace of mind.

Cut cost by using 6" blocks above the German floor or grow your own food and vegetable.

But don't muck about with your foundation.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by KolaShangOne(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2016
larryblack007:

Aiyetoro.. That area after Ayobo.. I was around that area earlier today (Lafenwa). Even though I think you will need just a simple strip and pad foundation type, it will cost you just about 15-20k to run soil test in that axis. Do it and sleep better at night

Alternatively, Find a builder you trust his decisions / consult a bricklayer that has had many years building experience in that area / dig a well first so you can see soil stratification.. Etc etc..

There WI always be conflicting suggestions. And I pray you don't end up getting more confused
Re: Advice On Building A 3 Bedroom Bungalow by Larwin(m): 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
Better still contact KolaShangOne, he will surely guide u right.

(1) (Reply)

Cargo Containers and Reefer Containers,40ft And 20ft For Sale / »»» Half Plot For Sale @ N400K Net ««« / Lg Or Hisense Refrigerator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.