Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (44417 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Panache(m): 4:36pm On Oct 18, 2007
I'm not a Yoruba guy, but the truth is that the Yoruba actors and actresses seems to be more professional than the so-called English acts. I'm a professional movie critics and I get tired of watching a Nollywood English movie because I'm tired of straining my eyes to hear my fellow countrymen and women talking. Sometimes it seems like a jam of Haitian/Jamaican born in NYC, raised in England schooling in T & T. They just mess everything up with their "fone"
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by dmax90: 8:09pm On Oct 19, 2007
Let me if I may add ,my 2 cents,

Most Yoruba Movie actors are ,
, they appear more fluid and comfortable delivering their roles.
After much delibration with colleagues of mine we concluded that its probably because they are performing in their native language.
Even withing this gifted set of actors, we still have both the good and the bad.
And I'll share a unique info I came across with you - 6 of 10 movies produced in Naija are Yoruba! The other 4 of 10 is shared between English, Igbo, and recently Hausa speaking movies.

I must point out that Nollywood also has a few very good English speaking actors/actresses - but theres are the ones who are not only trained but also who do not "pretend" to be westernized. Such wonderful examples being Pete Edochie, Olu Jacobs, Joke Silva, Zack Orji, Richard M. Damijo and so forth. For an actor to pull off a foreign culture - it usually takes a lot more than Nollywood actors are afforded to invest - time, research and field-study, etc They are usually given 2 weeks to come up with an American character and we the viewers then end up getting what we get. I only wish more of the "pop star" talents love the art enough to get formal training

Thnx for readding - pls give feedback! :-)
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by romeo(m): 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2007
dmax90:

Let me if I may add ,my 2 cents,

Most Yoruba Movie actors are ,
, they appear more fluid and comfortable delivering their roles.
After much delibration with colleagues of mine we concluded that its probably because they are performing in their native language.
Even withing this gifted set of actors, we still have both the good and the bad.
And I'll share a unique info I came across with you - 6 of 10 movies produced in Naija are Yoruba! The other 4 of 10 is shared between English, Igbo, and recently Hausa speaking movies.

1 of every 10 Nigeria movie is Yoruba!!
Yoruba film this Yoruba film that and can some one please tell me where i can get one? subtitled!! let me see what all the noise is all about
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by eldee(m): 11:58am On Oct 25, 2007
I really think Yoruba films are better but the problem is the flow of cash in the industry
the marketing strategies they adopt are poor,
they never try to capture the attention on non yoruba viewers
they also tend to concentrate on the storylines and forget that not everyone cares bout that

This is also the difference between Hollywood and Bollywood(India)
The Hollywood producers spend money on the extra stuffs like stunts sound effects and marketing while you see the indian movies with better storylines and no publicity

The main issue is that the yoruba section of the Nigerian Movie industry should try to sell themselves to non-yoruba movie-watchers if not the story will never change.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by jagunlabi(m): 4:26pm On Oct 25, 2007
It's not really that yoruba actors are better than their english speaking colleagues,but they only seem more comfy with their roles because they have the good fortune of interpreting the characters they play in their mother tongue.It is a huge huge advantage for any nigerian actor to interprete his roles in his mother tongue over nigerian actors who interprete roles in english.
Why are hollywood actors so smooth with their various roles?Because they interprete in their mother tongue,yankee english.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by eldee(m): 8:54am On Oct 27, 2007
The best actors are not the ones that act out who they are but those that represent characters that are totally different from thier normal lives. Checkout Leo Dicapio in Blood Diamonds. He was totally into that role. And that's what some Igbo actors do so easily
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 1:23pm On Nov 06, 2007
I want you to preview some new Nollywood movies on Nigerian Times Video News and please, comment on the featured previews.

I welcome all producers of Nollywood movies to submit their movies to be previewed and the selected ones will be shown on my Montage Internationale Online Cinema on pay per view basis and the producers or marketers would be paid from the subscriptions.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2007
Only Nigerian movies done in our native languages can qualify for the foreign film category of the Academy Awards and not the English Nollywood movies.

The South African films nominated for the Oscars and the one that won an Oscar were in their native language and that is what the Americans and British people want to see.
Originality and not parodies or poor imitations of Hollywood.

The South African film industry is not called by any "wood" or whatever, but they are highly rated and more commercially successful than Nollywood movies.

Quality is all that matters.

Nigeria is always bragging about the quantity of movies we make and about being the most populous nation in Africa, but we are lagging far behind South Africa and Namibia.

I am an artist and a writer and I have been using my network in the global village to give Nollywood producers and directors international opportunities, but twice they have embarrassed and disappointed me before international commissions.
They rejected their movies as being substandard.
The audio-visual attache at the French embassy even said he would be embarrassed to show the movies to their commissioners in France.
The other notable director could not prove his mettle.
They have granted over 300, 000 Euros to five Nigerian filmmakers, but they were disappointed by the results.
The Nigerians spent half of their grants on buying new cars and other properties and then used the remaining funds to make substandard movies.
One told me his film would be on 35mm and typically, I went to hype globally and when I previewed the movie, he confessed that it was not shot on 35mm.
I was disappointed.

The problem is that they don't cooperate and prefer to compete among themselves.

They can cooperate and collaborate to make serious films in Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa like the "Langbodo" play that won Nigeria the first prize at FESTAC' 77.

We should not stop encouraging them.
Practice makes perfect.

Watch out for Mark Kusare and Kenneth Gyang.
I can bet on them.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by kingdons(m): 11:41am On Nov 14, 2007
@Orikinla

When your name is a yoruba movie, why wont you be crazy about a stupid useless unproductive topic!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ztent: 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2008
hello,
Here is AFONI ELVIS KEN, i am a movie fan and hv great progressive ambitions for the movie industry, all i need is to fiiiind one. I believe there are p[eople who can help me out. so please as u go through, kindly make a wounderful decision.While leaning on you, i await your reply. contact me 023779364486 or lvisafons@yahoo.com
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by sima(f): 7:19am On Sep 09, 2008
@topic. .
I totally 100%ly agree wif u. . .
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by sima(f): 7:22am On Sep 09, 2008
i use 2 be a fan of igbo or english 9ja movies but. . . i go fed up
same old borin stuff. .
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by whiteroses(f): 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2009
yoruba movies for life why watch some funky english film when i can have some funke akindele. i'd watch english movie if its a high rated film taht everyones talking about cos theres always one english film in a year thats on point
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Ak4all(m): 3:51pm On Sep 20, 2009
Hell with the english actors and their movie, their move is all about love. The yorubas make a lot of senses.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by pheena: 8:19pm On Sep 20, 2009
i agree!
lets put it this way yoruba speaking movies makes more sense, are more creative
and the actors are more natural than their counter-parts
i used to watch both but am so fed up with Nigerian English movies (the storylines are repetitive)
the actors are too fake (false accents of diff nationalities)

in all lets remember that even igbo actors do yoruba films
and likewise yoruba actors do English films ,
its not abt tribes

and for the guy doubting Ramsey Noah is yoruba, hard as it seems
yes he is. his only connection to Nigeria is his mum who is from Ondo state.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Princessty(f): 7:32pm On Nov 29, 2009
@ Orkinla U Forget one of the best actresses of yoruba for all time My Girl Funke Akindele If U Havent Seen JENIFA it is a must watch watch her movies and one question how do u do that green square
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Mosetra(f): 12:42am On Jan 28, 2011
I think the subject of the post should have been who are better: Actors/Actresses in Nollywood or Yoruba movies? For me, it is those in the Yoruba movie industry. They act effortlessly. It shouldn't be about tribe cos we have yorubas in the English speaking Nollywood industry, just as we have non Yorubas in the Yoruba movie industry who have a plus as they can act in both - Rachel Oniga, Liz Benson, Kelvin Ikedugba etc. This list debunks the argument of those who say actors in Yoruba movie industry are better cos they deliver in their native tongue. Faithia Balogun, Doris Simeon, Toyin Aimakhu, Mercy Aigbe are not Yoruba but they are very good. For me it is yoruba movies anytime, anyday. Nollywood is too fake for me!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 12, 2011
The content in the movie is better.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2011
Mosetra:

I think the subject of the post should have been who are better: Actors/Actresses in Nollywood or Yoruba movies? For me, it is those in the Yoruba movie industry. They act effortlessly. It shouldn't be about tribe cos we have yorubas in the English speaking Nollywood industry, just as we have non Yorubas in the Yoruba movie industry who have a plus as they can act in both - Rachel Oniga, Liz Benson, Kelvin Ikedugba etc. This list debunks the argument of those who say actors in Yoruba movie industry are better cos they deliver in their native tongue. Faithia Balogun, Doris Simeon, Toyin Aimakhu, Mercy Aigbe are not Yoruba but they are very good. For me it is yoruba movies anytime, anyday. Nollywood is too fake for me!

We have very good Nollywood movies and they have been winning awards locally and internationally. But the fact still remains that the Yoruba actors are still better than others in Nigerian movies. I have worked with Nigerian actors as an actor, producer and director and I know the difference.
The Yoruba actors are more natural and real.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Dyt(f): 10:37pm On Jul 14, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:35pm On Jul 15, 2011
I agree with OP on this issue.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:36pm On Jul 15, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:39pm On Jul 15, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:41pm On Jul 15, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:42pm On Jul 15, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Skmoda360(m): 7:46pm On Jul 15, 2011
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by anonymous6(f): 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2011
@OP
I agree, even though I watch both Yoruba and English Nollywood movies, I prefer Yoruba movies more & watch it more because their storylines and plots are more authentic, realistic and etc. It is what made me connect more to my culture and understand it, especially since I wasn't born and raised in Nigeria, so Yoruba movies are very important to me; Yoruba movies are actually the movies I watch 80% of the time
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:32pm On Dec 28, 2011
This thread, *sighs*

Back when NL was worth my time. smiley
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 6:12pm On Dec 28, 2011
This debate started even before Nollywood crashed and as we can see, many of the Nollywood actors and actresses have gone AWOL and only few are still actively engaged. Most of them have gone into trading and Glo saved few others from economic embarassment. But the Yoruba ones are still very active. Lest we forget, Funke Akindele met many of the leading Nollywood veterans in the industry, but she is showing them how to run the show. Many Igbos even enjoy the Yoruba movies and Igbo actors who understand the language are now playing major roles in Yoruba movies.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by anonymous6(f): 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2011
Orikinla:

This debate started even before Nollywood crashed and as we can see, many of the Nollywood actors and actresses have gone AWOL and only few are still actively engaged. Most of them have gone into trading and Glo saved few others from economic embarassment. But the Yoruba ones are still very active. Lest we forget, Funke Akindele met many of the leading Nollywood veterans in the industry, but she is showing them how to run the show. Many Igbos even enjoy the Yoruba movies and Igbo actors who understand the language are now playing major roles in Yoruba movies.

I never knew that, interesting but you are right their are some igbo actors and actresses now, like Rachel Oniga for example
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by nollywood20: 9:31am On Jan 03, 2013
See Kunle Afolayan's sex symbol daddy Adeyemi Afolayan aka Ade-love in Taxi Driver.
Dig his love dance footsteps for his babe in Bollywood style. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEB7sgclyg

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Hiptv Clears The Air on Not Covering Olic3(screenshot) / Pere And Angel In The Bbnaija White House To Play An Eviction Game / BBNAIJA: MC Oluomo Trends After Omoshola Says He Is Like Youth Leader Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.