Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (44420 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by PoDeep(m): 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Zulunation.Man,i've been waiting for 13 goddam pages of this 4 somone 2 bring up d point u just made: Whether english or native,Nigerian movies are WACK!!!(with d exception of a few mainframe films), aki & pawpaw are slaves to idiocy;mr ibu is a retard;nkem owoh has lost his touch;ini edo is walking in genevieve's footsteps i.e 'get overused by them unread sellout producers & then get thrown away when u start "overcharging"-according 2 those greedy mofcukaz called producers.' 4ck em all!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 10:50pm On Dec 05, 2006
^ my younger brother at his very best. . .
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 3:40am On Dec 06, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

Lol @ Jingle All The Way, I can see your taste now so you're right there's no point in arguing with you about that.

wink Say no more. The guy no gree for your Arnold assessment--Schwartzenegger is the king for him cheesy.

All in all, the wording of this post is deliberately controversial. Orikinla seems to be trying to rile up some dischord by splitting acting talent according to ethnicity. I'd be offended by the way he phrased it too, whether or not he's Igbo.

I think more "serious" cinema watchers would probably say that Yoruba videos are better than English ones, but that does not necessarily have to do with the ethnic qualities of Yoruba people. It has to do with the fact that for the most part, Yoruba actors are acting in their first language, and that many Yoruba movies are made by people with theatrical training--sometimes decades of stage acting experience, like Lere Paimo, Ogogo, and even Baba Suwe. The combination of a professional acting background and greater fluency in your mother tongue makes for a higher-quality production. That's why, IMO, Tunde Kelani's Mainframe videos are the best-known Nigerian productions around the world in film festivals etc. like the African Film Festival in New York, the Toronto Film Festival (where they showed his newest video, Abeni) etc. That doesn't take away from the incredible popularity of English-language videos, but I don't think they would win high marks anywhere for their quality. English-language Nigerian videos are being watched all over the world and has created a new industry for the country, and that's a great thing. The Yoruba video industry is the largest first-language cinema industry in Africa and is recognized for its high quality in film festivals, and that's a great thing. Both are great achievements for Nigeria.

Also, not all actors in Yoruba movies are Yoruba. Rachael Oniga is a huge star in the industry who is Igbo; Fathia Balogun is from Delta State, I believe; and several non-Yoruba "Nollywood" (I don't like the term) actors like Clem Ohameze and Tony Umez appear in Yoruba movies.

ThiefofHearts--great points about the quality of a Portuguese-language film like City of God or the culture of the Indian film industry versus the worldwide popularity of Titanic or Mission Impossible 3 etc. That's what we're talking about, in my opinion. I see you like Radiohead as well wink

One thing I don't understand is the whole thing about Ramsey Nouah--maybe someone should tell him he's not considered 'Yoruba' enough by some people. I think his middle name's Tokunbo and he's done a couple of Yoruba films but who knows Maybe he'll have to re-examine himself to make sure he fits into Internet categories of what a Yoruba person should be cheesy
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 06, 2006
Lots of Yoruba people in this thread, admit it, you guys can't go to English movies because the talent isn't there. Simple enough!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 3:50am On Dec 06, 2006
Donzman:

Lots of Yoruba people in this thread, admit it, you guys can't go to English movies because the talent isn't there. Simple enough!

No kidding Donzman grin grin I've never seen so many Yoruba folks just coming out. I guess this would be the wrong thread to say any thing bad about Yoruba Movies.

I'm still waiting for Wesleyan and HotAngel I wonder what happened to them smiley
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:55am On Dec 06, 2006
How ironic, my heart has been stolen! by TerraCotta  cheesy tongue

Great post. Ignore Donzman, he's obviously a Yoruba hater in denial rambling about nonsense. He didnt even read your lines about MainFrame and the film festivals obviously. Someone please ask him why Bollywood hasnt gone English. I suppose they are "untalented" as well. mugun.

You say that the wording is controversial but I don't see how it is, because like I've said before. I don't consider Nollywood as being JUST Ibo. I consider it to be NIGERIAN films where the cast speak English. That's it. So I don't see the title as being Ibo vs Yoruba movies as Nolly films are not "ibo" films. They might have started as Ibo movies but once they decided to sell out for the English speakers, it's no longer Ibo.

and I adore Radiohead. Karma Police is one of my fav. songs.  grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 4:04am On Dec 06, 2006
Donzman:

I'm sure the "lots of Yoruba people" will admit this as soon as you admit that you don't watch Yoruba movies, you have no idea about their quality vs. English 'Nollywood' videos, and that the only reason you're even replying is to play defender for your ethnic group instead of giving an honest, factually based response wink

ThiefOfHearts:

How ironic, my heart has been stolen! by TerraCotta cheesy tongue

wink

Great post. Ignore Donzman, he's obviously a Yoruba hater in denial rambling about nonsense. He didnt even read your lines about MainFrame and the film festivals obviously. Someone please ask him why Bollywood hasnt gone English. I suppose they are "untalented" as well. mugun.

You say that the wording is controversial but I don't see how it is, because like I've said before. I don't consider Nollywood as being JUST Ibo. I consider it to be NIGERIAN films where the cast speak English. That's it. So I don't see the title as being Ibo vs Yoruba movies as Nolly films are not "ibo" films. They might have started as Ibo movies but once they decided to sell out for the English speakers, it's no longer Ibo.

I agree that English-language movies aren't just Igbo, but Orikinla implied that all Yoruba actors are better than "Ibo/Urhobo/Isoko" actors, and didn't really give any reasons for why he felt that. I'd rather have him explain than put words in his mouth, but stereotypes are not good for anyone, whether positive or negative.

and I adore Radiohead. Karma Police is one of my fav. songs. grin

I only know "Karma Police" actually. Maybe you can introduce me to their catalogue sometime wink
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 4:09am On Dec 06, 2006
TerraCotta:

I'm sure the "lots of Yoruba people" will admit this as soon as you admit that you don't watch Yoruba movies, you have no idea about their quality vs. English 'Nollywood' videos, and that the only reason you're even replying is to play defender for your ethnic group instead of giving an honest, factually based response wink

Horsesh!t. I've tried watching and frankly, they're not as good.

@The person asking about Bollywood

They have a bunch of English movies and their market is already big enough.

Why are we here acting like yorubas are some sort of super conservatives or something who are always eager to preserve their culture?, Come on now. If there was any demand apart from Yoruba people for their movies, they would have gone English. Truth is, most people who aren't Yoruba don't care about it.

@Thiefofhearts
I'm not a Yoruba hater, why would I hate Yoruba people?, What is there to hate? I think of Yorubas as middlemen.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:21am On Dec 06, 2006
Truth is, most people who aren't Yoruba don't care about it.

yea that's why they are praised by New York and Toronto film festivals. You obviously don't know how big those events are. Stick to Borat, please

The person asking about Bollywood

They have a bunch of English movies and their market is already big enough.

lol the english is like 2% of it all, again does that mean they are untalented since they didnt abandon Hindu to go all out English? Give it up Donzman.

However I see why some people might have been annoyed. I went in "arguing" in this thread over the "Yoruba films are better than Nolly ones" which is true, I completely ignored the "better actors" part, I guess I'd be kind of ticked too although it's not that off base because like Terra said most Yoruba actors have background starting from stage theatre as opposed to just "discovering people" like some of the "Nolly" actors but there ARE some really good actors in "Nollywood". They just need some damn good scripts.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 4:43am On Dec 06, 2006
Yoruba actors have background starting from stage theatre as opposed to just "discovering people" like some of the "Nolly" actors but there ARE some really good actors in "Nollywood". They just need some damn good scripts.

Dolt, most Nollywood actors went to film schools and theatre programs. Get a clue!

yea that's why they are praised by New York and Toronto film festivals. You obviously don't know how big those events are.

Give me a break, they're that good but Nollywood is the representative of African movie industry as a whole. I already told you, there's a channel called "African Magic" on Multichoice Satellite Network. They show African movies most of the time, if Yoruba movies were better, they could have shown them with subtitles. No, they don't show Yoruba movies, they show Nollywood movies. [b]Nollywood movies are popular, their actors earn more, their producers make more money, how else can you rationalize Yoruba movies being better?, Just via sentiments? Sentiments are for idiots, intelligent people look at cold hard facts, wages are a reward for labour/talent. You're being sentimental, i'm being rational by considering all the intruments of movie industry success I've got. Any rational human being will come to the same conclusion I have which is; looking at every measurable instrument possible, the success of Nollywood indicate their movies/actors/directors are of better quality and have greater mass appeal.[/b]Again, let rationality as opposed to sentiments guide your thought process.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:52am On Dec 06, 2006
*yawn* Im done. The fact you are comparing some network like African Magic which I could have easily made just to show Nolly movies 24/7 to huge festivals respected by Film Institutes show how VERY little you know. Why wouldnt they show English movies on such a network when Nolly is more about Western influences.

Hopeless hater. Im done with you.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:54am On Dec 06, 2006
TerraCotta:

I only know "Karma Police" actually. Maybe you can introduce me to their catalogue sometime ;

Indeed I shall. Try downloading "Paranoid Andriod" cheesy
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 4:58am On Dec 06, 2006
Sentiments differ my friend and can be perceived as false and biased. Here is what doesn't lie, MONEY IN THE BANK!, You can keep playing on awards or cheap claps from the Toronto Film Festival, in the end what matters is how much you're compensated for what you do. Common sense tells us that better talent earns greater compensation and examples are numerous. That is why EPL players make millions while Pepsi league players owe millions. Show me what you get in return for your talent and I'll tell you whether you're talented or not.

*yawn* I'm done.

You should, rationality is forever above sentiment just like the sky is forever above the earth.  grin, The man that argues based on rationality can never be defeated by those who argue based on sentiments, of what value is something you can't touch? cry
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:07am On Dec 06, 2006
I hardly watch english nollywood movies anyways.
We usually only watch yoruba ones mostly because that's what we associate w/ since i'm yoruba.
some yoruba movies can get predictable too but most certainly not on the same level as english ones where you know almost exactly how the movie will go by the title or first five minutes, the storylines are also sometimes very outlandish.

for some reason, i thought every naija movie (yoruba, english/pidgin) was nollywood. I thought the pidgin ones were the igbo movies.
yeah how come some igbos don't speak their language or make igbo movies. but then they make fun of yorubas for speaking yoruba? Like english is supposed to be everything. jeez

whoever mentioned magun (thunderbolt),
it's one of my fav nollywood movie of all time. well, my mom loved it too but and we had to close our eyes when they were doing the thing. this was years ago. lol

yeah sola sobowale is great too.

why aren't yoruba movies considered as part of nollywood?
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:11am On Dec 06, 2006
oh yeah, why do a lot of the english movies almost all the time have to be about some guy coming from abroad w/ some funky accent and lots of cash, and gennevieve marrying him and some other girl trying to marry him?
it's usually soooooo predictable. omg
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:11am On Dec 06, 2006
That's what I meant about segregation. Wes

lol@ cheap claps, yea some lame channel is definitely cooler and dont worry Donzman, it's expected of you to be all about money. You know what they say  grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 5:16am On Dec 06, 2006
I'm such a psychic, WOW grin grin. How did I know Wesleyan was going to show up on this thread. Maybe I sould be Mr cleo.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:21am On Dec 06, 2006
ZuluNation:

I'm such a psychic, WOW grin grin. How did I know Wesleyan was going to show up
on this thread. Maybe I sould be Mr cleo.

how did I know you were going to show up on this thread mentioning how i would show up on this thread?

It's not my fault i love yoruba movies. sorry.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 5:24am On Dec 06, 2006
Simple my dear, any thread that has any kind of comparison between the Igbos and Yorubas you there like a vulture on fresh meat.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 5:25am On Dec 06, 2006
WesleyanA, can you even speak Yoruba?

yeah how come some igbos don't speak their language or make igbo movies.

There are Igbo movies but most of the actors/actresses went a step further to start producing English ones. Someone is yet to give me a solid reason why Yorubas didn't do that?, Only reasonable explation I can think of? They didn't have an audience outside of Yoruba speaking people.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 5:27am On Dec 06, 2006
I can see in my crystal ball that HotAngel will be showing up on this thread very very soon too.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:29am On Dec 06, 2006
i wonder why you're on here.
The reason i actually came on this thread is because it's not lame like the rest of the other ones that are stupid & filled w/ name calling, although they're funny in their own ways.
It's 'cause i actually liked ThiefofHearts's posts.

maybe you can tell me why yoruba movies aren't considered part of nollywood, mr zulunation
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 5:29am On Dec 06, 2006
ZuluNation:

I can see in my crystal ball that HotAngel will be showing up on this thread very very soon too.

Oh boy you should become a pastor/prophet, you're more accurate than most anyway. grin
WesleyanA:
maybe you can tell me why yoruba movies aren't considered part of nollywood, mr zulunation

They're part of Nollywood but we're separating Yoruba movies from the rest of Nollywood now because they bring the quality of the industry down. grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:30am On Dec 06, 2006
Donzman:

WesleyanA, can you even speak Yoruba?

yes i can. i'm not allowed to speak english at home (except at times), and with our family friends.
many yoruba families have that rule.

besides, i grew up speaking yoruba anyways.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:31am On Dec 06, 2006
hotangel mostly has better things to do w/ her time.
i don't think she comes on here anymore.
well, i guess i'm the only looser left.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:34am On Dec 06, 2006
Yea the quality of naming every movie with the word "Love" in it and having some fake slowpoke come with $1 bills claiming to be rich.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 5:35am On Dec 06, 2006
My dear Wes I know nothing about Yoruba or Igbo movie so I'm not even gone front and act like I know anything about Nollywood. I've seen a few Nigerian movies and personally I think they need so much improvement. Like I said on my earlier post, it's 2006 and we still using technology from the 70's to make movies in Nigeria.

I just cam on this thread to look for you and freshen up on my psychic abilities.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by jammin(m): 5:36am On Dec 06, 2006
sorry. had to jump in a tell you that i reach the part when he went into the tiolet at the bar. that was totally gross. back to the movie grin

trainspotters
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:37am On Dec 06, 2006
good. you can go back to where ever you came from now.
and freshen it up on someone else.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:38am On Dec 06, 2006
jammin:

sorry. had to jump in a tell you that i reach the part when he went into the tiolet at the bar. that was totally gross. back to the movie grin

lol grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 5:39am On Dec 06, 2006
I'm gone for now miss attitude angry, I'm sure I'll bump into you on another Yoruba/ Igbo thread
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 5:46am On Dec 06, 2006
back to Yoruba actors/actresses.
I presently can't think of one that's not cool.

kanayo o kanayo is cool too (i watched one of his movies where he acted the role of a secondary school kid. with the shorts and uniform. it was weird 'cause he doesn't look all that young. he was great though. lol)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Hiptv Clears The Air on Not Covering Olic3(screenshot) / Pere And Angel In The Bbnaija White House To Play An Eviction Game / BBNAIJA: MC Oluomo Trends After Omoshola Says He Is Like Youth Leader Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.