Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,076 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves (8166 Views)

Experience Java And .NET Programmers Wanted For Contract Employment / We're Hiring - Java And .NET Programmers / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 16, 2016
Shocking right? Maybe it is correct or wrong - but that is what I can make out from reading the blog post below.

Considering the fact that I don't like criticizing any language - but let's not forget that I grew up from microsoft vb6/asp/.NET background but i migrated to PHP/JAVA for some reasons, and this article below outlines some of those reasons and others very carefully - and that is why I don't have any single project in .NET except a few windows apps.

Read it here and share your views: https://blog.expensify.com/2011/03/25/ceo-friday-why-we-dont-hire-net-programmers/

Meanwhile, since I am not an active .NET programmer, let the real .NET programmers come and defend themselves.

Disclaimer: I did not write the article mind you, and I shall not claim responsible for any .NET programmer that commit suicide as a result of reading this post.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by KINGinVAHALA: 11:49am On Jul 16, 2016
dhtml18:
Shocking right? Maybe it is correct or wrong - but that is what I can make out from reading the blog post below.

Considering the fact that I don't like criticizing any language - but let's not forget that I grew up from microsoft vb6/asp/.NET background but i migrated to PHP/JAVA for some reasons, and this article below outlines some of those reasons and others very carefully - and that is why I don't have any single project in .NET except a few windows apps.

Read it here and share your views: https://blog.expensify.com/2011/03/25/ceo-friday-why-we-dont-hire-net-programmers/

Meanwhile, since I am not an active .NET programmer, let the real .NET programmers come and defend themselves.

Disclaimer: I did not write the article mind you, and I shall not claim responsible for any .NET programmer that commit suicide as a result of reading this post.

Lol, this warning is really necessary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Raypawer(m): 12:10pm On Jul 16, 2016
2O11, stale blog post! just keep wondering how oga dhtml reads irrelevant blog post!

1 Like

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2016
^^that post might seem old, but the TRUTH of the matter still carries a STING. And you know what, most of my .NET programmers have migrated to PYTHON, JAVA and PHP, only ONE is still standing, but even he is developing cold feet.

Let the WAR continue. . . .this board is getting too damn boring.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Lol, this warning is really necessary
How you take know, well, I am preparing for taking collateral damage all the same - because this kind of thread is very inflammatory - so i don wear my bullet-proof vest.

Response.Write("I am protected<br/>The truth shall always be said"wink
<%
if(WhatISayIsTrue)
{%>

<h2>Then I am a great guy</h2>

<% }
else
{
%>
<h2>I am a badt guy</h2>
<% }
Response.Redirect("http://Nairaland.net");
%>
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by KINGinVAHALA: 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2016
dhtml18:

How you take know, well, I am preparing for taking collateral damage all the same - because this kind of thread is very inflammatory - so i don wear my bullet-proof vest.

Its good you planed ahead because we have seen these things before and the end always wasn't pleasant except of course, you had a vest on.

Would visit the site on your siggy later!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2016
Take Parallel Processing with Thread-Local Variables for example, see the ease of doing so with C# .Net. now show how you would accomplish this in the other languages you claim to be better:

{
int[] nums = Enumerable.Range(0, 1000000).ToArray();
long total = 0;
int x = 0;

Stopwatch stopwatch = Stopwatch.StartNew();

Parallel.ForEach<int, long>(nums,
() => 0,
(j, loop, subtotal) =>
{
subtotal += j;
Interlocked.Increment(ref x);
Console.WriteLine(x);
return subtotal;
},

(finalResult) => Interlocked.Add(ref total, finalResult)
);

Console.WriteLine("The total from Parallel.ForEach is {0:N0}", total);

stopwatch.Stop();
Console.WriteLine("Time taken = {0}", stopwatch.Elapsed);
Console.ReadLine();
}

source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd997393(v=vs.110).aspx
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
^^^yeah right, the end always ends in an e-death 99% of the times. But this is not an e-battle mind you, it is just a sort of challenge to see how the .NET people respond, we are interested in practicing .NET developers telling us how they manage to scale their applications.
Which reminds me, we use to have one Abidemi here, an expert .NET programmer of international standards, I wonder if he is still on this board. He is one of the best Nigerian programmers that I know (but he has taken his practice outside naija sha), and he specializes in .NET. He is very quiet on this board most of the time (and not a noise maker like some of us e-trolls here), but he has crossed boundaries in programming that I have not yet achieved, of course he has been practicing longer than myself (see my lame excuse).
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2016
^^^
Okay lets put our beloved languages to the test with Parallel Processing and Thread-Local Variables.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2016
To each his own. If you like, say .net is the most useless and dead platform on earth. People would still be writing .net code till tomorrow
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 16, 2016
Febup:
Take Parallel Processing with Thread-Local Variables for example, see the ease of doing so with C# .Net. now show how you would accomplish this in the other languages you claim to be better:
{
long total = 0;
() => 0,
(j, loop, subtotal) =>
{
subtotal = j;
return subtotal;
},

);

Console.ReadLine();

Well, this is a call-out to the various 'alleged' experts chest-thumping all over the board to come and show themselves.

I am just a pilgrim (or umpire) on this thread to be quite honest. . . . .

KINGinVAHALA:

Its good you planed ahead because we have seen these things before and the end always wasn't pleasant except of course, you had a vest on.
Would visit the site on your siggy later!
That is the demo version, the full version will soon come out
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 16, 2016
Updated:
This computation below using Parallel Processing with Thread-Local Variables took just 1 min 42 secs and see the ease of coding in C# .Net, now lets see how any other language you claim is better than .Net, is going to beat this record. .Net The Undisputed King Loading.................. grin

{
long total = 0;
int x = 0;

() => 0,
(j, loop, subtotal) =>
{
subtotal += j;
Console.WriteLine(x);
return subtotal;
},

);

stopwatch.Stop();
Console.ReadLine();
}

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
gaddamnit, a .NET programmer taking over my thread? where are all those PHP 7 trolls to come to the rescue

Warning: failure of the PHP dudes, Python and other developers to allow this GREAT, MONUMENTAL INSULT (PLUS INGREDIENS) go just like that means only one thing - namely - .NET is King

Hmn, lets still wait for them to show up. Where is ehm Larisoft sef?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 3:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
All my .NET knowledge is solely for unity3d games.

But Baba dhtml, why is it that no engines exist for your trending modern languages?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
Till this point, I have not mentioned any trending language. Because I make use of so many languages, and see all of them as tools.
I use .NET as well for some projects. But come, what kind of engine are you talking about? Is it engines like EXPRESSION Engine, Eclipse Engine or Motorcycle Engine?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Raypawer(m): 5:09pm On Jul 16, 2016
oga dhtml18 i saw the post and labelled it STALE, u know why? c# has greatly moved from what it was 2O11 till now, like your code up there, ur its asp.net web forms MS has no support for that anymore, we are talking of ASP.NET MVC 6, which is very similar to Golang in rendering html, ie no @html tags that generates heat, probably u will be running with raw sql or ORM, maybe ADO.NET meanwhile we talk of Nhibernate That has second level caching system or Entity Framework(manually implenting caching), then from what am seing u'll still pull database context, using ado.net mean while we use services(diff from api) ie Service Oriented Architecture, then writing it with vb.net meanwhile it c#, thats why i said its STALE

Multithreding in c#, which make do of asynchronous programming, with some keywords "Task<>" which works with "Run", which primarily tells c# continue other processes if the server overloaded while it waits for the server to be free ie kind of queue..
others Async", await
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Cooldude68(m): 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2016
You guys don't understand something... If you let the rate at which frameworks, programming languages etc are hitting the software development arena move you too much, you'll be a Jack of all trade and master of none.
I know a big bros of mine that still code vb6 but believe me this person has developed huge softwares like academic results processing system etc..that most of you here can't even attempt with your "so called favourite tools".
Master whichever technology you choose to go with...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2016
about the c# code, this is its equivalent in python (i guess) and its runtime is attached below:

import locale
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
from datetime import datetime
from joblib import *

class Test(object):
def Main():
with Parallel(n_jobs=2) as parallel:
nums = range(0,1000000)
total = 0
x = 0
startTime = datetime.now()

for one in nums:
total += one
x=x+1
print x

print("The total from Parallel.ForEach is "+ str(locale.format("%d", total, grouping=True)))

print("Time taken = "+str(datetime.now() - startTime))
Main()
test = Test()

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 16, 2016
This thread is getting more interesting. My code above is ordinary asp and not aspx or mv anything.
I know a dude too who develops banking softwares for the past 10 yrs with vb 6. I learnt coding partially from him.

So this shows that .NET is not dead at all. But wait o, where are the pho dudes to come and write a multi threaded code here with posix, pthread, pnct or whatever.

Funny, php is one of the languages that suck when it comes to multi threading. Even the so called persistent database connection fails if you are using fcgi configuration. The libraries needed to run multi threading don't even come with php by default.

As far as multi threading is concerned, .net, Java, Python, node.js, and some few others will top that list.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 10:01pm On Jul 16, 2016
even if we use pythread, it wont complete as fast as it did in python using 5 seconds.
This was why i shifted my base to python for this solution.
and to think .net used a min plus, what else was that processor doing?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 16, 2016
Interesting. . . .
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
sleepingdemon:
about the c# code, this is its equivalent in python (i guess) and its runtime is attached below:

import locale
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
from datetime import datetime
from joblib import *

class Test(object):
def Main():
with Parallel(n_jobs=2) as parallel:
nums = range(0,1000000)
total = 0
x = 0
startTime = datetime.now()

for one in nums:
total += one
x=x+1
print x

print("The total from Parallel.ForEach is "+ str(locale.format("%d", total, grouping=True)))

print("Time taken = "+str(datetime.now() - startTime))
Main()
test = Test()

The code I posted is incrementing x and printing x from 1 to 1,000,000 inside a Multi-Processing foreach loop as well as doing the same with the total variable and it is Thread Safe.

But your code is not using a for loop or foreach loop and there is no thread safety in your code.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 10:24pm On Jul 16, 2016
dhtml18:
Interesting. . . .
err, to deviate a little, sent you a message on fb.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 10:28pm On Jul 16, 2016
Febup:

The code I posted is incrementing x and printing x from 1 to 1,000,000 inside a Multi-Processing foreach loop as well as doing the same with the total variable and it is Thread Safe.

But your code is not using a for loop or foreach loop and there is no thread safety in your code.
it uses a for loop which is placed inside the parallel block
the parallel block starts from with Parallel(n_jobs=2) as parallel:, then inside it is the for loop i.e for one in nums.
the increment of x is done inside the for loop too i.e x=x+1. the total variable is also added in the for loop i.e total +=one.
i guess its because nairaland isnt code friendly and python dosent use curly braces you werent able to notice them
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 16, 2016
^^^

But how about this Phyton code below, it is using a for loop

>>> from math import sqrt
>>> from joblib import Parallel
>>> Parallel(n_jobs=1)((sqrt)(i**2) for i in range(10))

https://pythonhosted.org/joblib/generated/joblib.Parallel.html
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 11:07pm On Jul 16, 2016
Febup:
^^^

But how about this Phyton code below, it is using a for loop

>>> from math import sqrt
>>> from joblib import Parallel
>>> Parallel(n_jobs=1)((sqrt)(i**2) for i in range(10))

https://pythonhosted.org/joblib/generated/joblib.Parallel.html
i was also using a for loop.
only difference is they kept thier range of numbers directly in the loop, while i used a variable to hold my range. Then they were doing square roots and raised to power off together which wasnt part of what either you or i did.

(sqrt)(i**2) meant the value of the i should be raised to power 2, then the square root should be returned.
which wasnt part of our own scope
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2016
sleepingdemon:

err, to deviate a little, sent you a message on fb.
I am expecting your message, not seen it yet. Hope you are not the dude talking nonsense with me on Fb just now?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
sleepingdemon:

i was also using a for loop.
only difference is they kept thier range of numbers directly in the loop, while i used a variable to hold my range. Then they were doing square roots and raised to power off together which wasnt part of what either you or i did.

(sqrt)(i**2) meant the value of the i should be raised to power 2, then the square root should be returned.
which wasnt part of our own scope

I only used that code sample to show for loop in Python.

But still your code does not show Thread Safety when updating a local variable outside a Multi-Threaded loop so I cannot compare yours with mine.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by KINGinVAHALA: 1:01am On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:

Well, this is a call-out to the various 'alleged' experts chest-thumping all over the board to come and show themselves.

I am just a pilgrim (or umpire) on this thread to be quite honest. . . . .

That is the demo version, the full version will soon come out

That's OK, feel free to inform me when the full version is out, wouldnt mind supporting a fellow any little way I can.
Between, kindly check my signature, would be needing your vote bro, I'm the one contesting. Can I count on you?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by AntiWailer: 7:28am On Jul 17, 2016
With new dot net core ?

Dot net was never dead and will not die anytime soon.

Most arguments about limitations of dot net in 2011 are now as stale as the article you referred to here.

Nobody argues about programming language any longer.

A programmer's bias will simply be as a result of his or her understanding and exposure.

1 Like

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by AntiWailer: 7:33am On Jul 17, 2016
Febup:

{
long total = 0;
int x = 0;

() => 0,
(j, loop, subtotal) =>
{
subtotal += j;
Console.WriteLine(x);
return subtotal;
},

);

stopwatch.Stop();
Console.ReadLine();
}

Nice attempt.

The power of 'for parallel' in parallel processing can not be over stated

I have used it to reduce a task (not counting 1 -1 billion but a mission critical task) that takes 2 days to 6 hours and like u said, pretty easy to implement.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by AntiWailer: 7:36am On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:
^^that post might seem old, but the TRUTH of the matter still carries a STING. And you know what, most of my .NET programmers have migrated to PYTHON, JAVA and PHP, only ONE is still standing, but even he is developing cold feet.

Let the WAR continue. . . .this board is getting too damn boring.

Your Dot.Net programmers were just unlucky to be in an environment where their dot net skill is probably not appreciated or needed by people they look up to.

I can count over 9 friends that we have done over 10 years on .net together and they are 'balling'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VB.NET Problem, Printing Receipt With Thermal Printer From Crystal Report. / Recommend A Laptop For Programming / Where Are The Flex Developers in Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.