Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,609 members, 7,955,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:29 PM

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves (8449 Views)

Experience Java And .NET Programmers Wanted For Contract Employment / We're Hiring - Java And .NET Programmers / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 19, 2016
@seunthomas
What are u saying?....... the class library and the CLR (common language runtime) together constitute the .NET framework....so u saying its only a runtime is not different from me calling it a bunch of libraries . In my earlier statement I tried to give an eagle's eye view of what .NET is but you went all technical in a wrong way....I bet u haven't heard of what a runtime library is

As for your comparison saga......this is one of the many projects done to compare Java and c# speed on android

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17134522/does-anyone-have-benchmarks-code-results-comparing-performance-of-android-ap
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 19, 2016
A full scale war is happening here o, seunthomas, a beg fire this dude Jor.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2016
ovoSoftware:
@seunthomas
What are u saying?....... the class library and the CLR (common language runtime) together constitute the .NET framework....so u saying its only a runtime is not different from me calling it a bunch of libraries . In my earlier statement I tried to give an eagle's eye view of what .NET is but you went all technical in a wrong way....I bet u haven't heard of what a runtime library is

As for your comparison saga......this is one of the many projects done to compare Java and c# speed on android

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17134522/does-anyone-have-benchmarks-code-results-comparing-performance-of-android-ap
Bro, you are wrong. But i wont want to elaborate so it does not look like we are at war. But do a little research on the .Net concept and Language Virtual Machines. You will understand that am right. As for comparison, what is the yardstick. I could wake up tomorrow and create my own implementation of .NET or Java and say so and so is faster. Proper benchmarks require you state the yardstick for your measurements and not just make generalized statements.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 19, 2016
Battle-line drawn: ovoSoftware vs seunthomas
Referee: master-troll (mister dhtml18)
Please watch this board for live battle.

You can start placing your bets. . .
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 11:36am On Jul 19, 2016
dhtml18:
Battle-line drawn: ovoSoftware vs seunthomas
Referee: master-troll (mister dhtml18)
Please watch this board for live battle.

You can start placing your bets. . .
You are a joker. You wey no fit differenciate between language and runtime, na you wan do referee?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 19, 2016
seunthomas:

Bro, you are wrong. But i wont want to elaborate so it does not look like we are at war. But do a little research on the .Net concept and Language Virtual Machines. You will understand that am right. As for comparison, what is the yardstick. I could wake up tomorrow and create my own implementation of .NET or Java and say so and so is faster. Proper benchmarks require you state the yardstick for your measurements and not just make generalized statements.

My young friend, CLR (common library runtime) is the application virtual machine in the .NET Framework......that does not make it a runtime......its like calling android studio an automation tool just because it contains an automation tool (gradle) or calling a human head just because he has an head......I gave an easy discription for what .NET is.....you went all technical ...... and you ate still wrong

Also go to the link b4 commenting on yardstick cuz itz all there except you don't understand and I will be happy to help
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 19, 2016
Please I don't go into mindless wars
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 11:54am On Jul 19, 2016
ovoSoftware:

My young friend, CLR (common library runtime) is the application virtual machine in the .NET Framework......that does not make it a runtime......its like calling android studio an automation tool just because it contains an automation tool (gradle) or calling a human head just because he has an head......I gave an easy discription for what .NET is.....you went all technical ...... and you ate still wrong

Also go to the link b4 commenting on yardstick cuz itz all there except you don't understand and I will be happy to help
OK ohhh. According to you, .NET is ".NET is a set of libraries ". Dude am not young by the way, one of the early adopters of .Net,Java,Python in this part of the world.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
seunthomas:

You are a joker. You wey no fit differenciate between language and runtime, na you wan do referee?
Must a wrestling match referee know how to wrestle? I no be your opponent now, face your opponent.

Dont worry, Larisoft will soon hammer you again - me no get that kind time.

@ovoSoftware, no retreat, no surrender things - this is a free board, say your mind, dont let anyone corner you anything.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by dueal(m): 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2016
Firstly, these arguments are silly. When you say a technology is dead, do you mean unsupported or not used by developers any longer? The .NET is not in either of those classifications. Use the "right" tool for the job.
DON'T go building websites with C++, Don't prototype with Java, Don't write lowlevel in C#, and leave assembly to the compiler.

When you have work to do....use the tools that work based on time, efficiency, and expressiveness.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 19, 2016
^^Great point dude, and thank you for your contributions to this interesting discussion.
Hmn, this thread is really bringing out commenters o.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Olumyco(m): 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2016
.net framework is a robust framework and as ovoSoftware has described it, that is how it is.

.net framework contains two tins

1. Framework Class Library

2. Common Language Runtime

Framework Class Library is a library where u can get and access classes to do bigger tins.

Common Language Runtime (CLR) is Microsoft means of Implementing codes

Common Language Runtime (CLR) has both compiler and Interpreter(JIT Compiler attached)

The compiler compiles d codes to MSIL code (it's an intermediate language dat looks like object oriented assembly language). The interpreter den interpretes & JIT optimize d MSIL code by translating it to machine code at runtime and JITing it.

So .net is both class libraries and Runtime

Just like Nodejs of JavaScript dat has both libraries and Runtime

Like in some other languages dier libraries stand as an entity and dier runtime as another entity.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2016
Olumyco:
.net framework is a robust framework and as ovoSoftware has described it, that is how it is.

.net framework contains two tins

1. Framework Class Library

2. Common Language Runtime

Framework Class Library is a library where u can get and access classes to do bigger tins.

Common Language Runtime (CLR) is Microsoft means of Implementing codes

Common Language Runtime (CLR) has both compiler and Interpreter(JIT Compiler attached)

The compiler compiles d codes to MSIL code (it's an intermediate language dat looks like object oriented assembly language). The interpreter den interpretes & JIT optimize d MSIL code by translating it to machine code at runtime and JITing it.

So .net is both class libraries and Runtime

Just like Nodejs of JavaScript dat has both libraries and Runtime

Like in some other languages dier libraries stand as an entity and dier runtime as another entity.
For the sake of technical correctness, i would like to disagree with you.
.NET is not the same thing as the .NET framework which you rightly defined as consisting of the runtime and the accompanying libraries.
.NET is an abstraction of the machine. For you to say that .NET is a set of libraries would be very inaccurate and would be missing the entire point of the development of .NET.

The whole idea behind creation of .NET(runtime) is to ensure portability across microsoft languages. This means that irrespective of the language of writing your application, it could still interoperate with other codebase that is .NET.
If for example i wrote a piece of code, say a dynamic library in c#, i could easily use the library in vb.net without recompiling it. I just include the neccessary library and start calling methods.
Now the framework which consists of base classes and the runtime is bundled together.
But when you say .NET, you are describing the runtime. Its just like Java, which consists of the runtime and the class libraries. Java and .NET can exist without the accompanying libraries by the way.
And this is not about argument.
Its so if you go to an interview and meet someone who understands this concept well, you will be technically correct.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 19, 2016
This thread is getting more and more interesting, as the programming giants duel with each other, with blows and after blows, I wonder who the final winner will be.
I think we need more referees, this thread don big pass me sef. I know the question on everyone's mind is - WHO IS SAYING THE CORRECT THING ABOUT .NET.
Well, stay tuned, I shall soon hire a .NET buster to come and prove who is telling the truth, or we can still wait, as time will tell. . .
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by KazukiIto(m): 9:15pm On Jul 19, 2016
Bunch of suits! Anyways, what is .NET please?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Olumyco(m): 9:26pm On Jul 19, 2016
seunthomas:

For the sake of technical correctness, i would like to disagree with you.
.NET is not the same thing as the .NET framework which you rightly defined as consisting of the runtime and the accompanying libraries.
.NET is an abstraction of the machine. For you to say that .NET is a set of libraries would be very inaccurate and would be missing the entire point of the development of .NET.

The whole idea behind creation of .NET(runtime) is to ensure portability across microsoft languages. This means that irrespective of the language of writing your application, it could still interoperate with other codebase that is .NET.
If for example i wrote a piece of code, say a dynamic library in c#, i could easily use the library in vb.net without recompiling it. I just include the neccessary library and start calling methods.
Now the framework which consists of base classes and the runtime is bundled together.
But when you say .NET, you are describing the runtime. Its just like Java, which consists of the runtime and the class libraries. Java and .NET can exist without the accompanying libraries by the way.
And this is not about argument.
Its so if you go to an interview and meet someone who understands this concept well, you will be technically correct.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Bro. try and get what I am saying. Nobody is saying .net is set of libraries. What U wrote still support what I wrote but only that U r trying to separate the content of .net and then sticking only to the runtime part of it as the nomenclature.

ur classification

1. .net as abstraction of machine

2. .net as a framework

Mine

1. CLR

2. Class libraries

So what's the difference

.net CLR is a virtual machine. And a Virtual Machine is an abstraction away from native code (machine).

All I can see is that U r trying to describe .net CLR and .net framework as separate entities just the way we av it in other languages like java.
But I can tell U it's not it.

.net combines both the runtime and the class libraries together and that is why U cannot compare it with JVM.

JVM is only a virtual machine which U can compare to .net CLR but .net is more than a CLR.

Though I too have problem with Microsoft in terms of nomenclature. Naming it .net Framework to me is quite misleading except those that really understands what is happening under the hood. But my point is this:

".net Whatever" is both CLR and Class libraries. Other third party libraries can be used on it. But it is clear .net comes with CLR and internal libraries just like Node.js.

Get this .net contains almost 13, 000 classes. If .net did not come with libraries so how do we use it for Web (ASP.net), desktop apps and co.
.net expose a lots of classes (API) - file class, Graphic class, SmtpClient Class and so on.

Now the closest to .net is Node.js

I think we can form a Nomenclature for .net ourselves

May b we shud call it .net platform

Besides if we call it ".net Framework" just know that it's a Robust Framework that is pregnant with CLR and Framework Class Library

And if we call it ".net Runtime" just as Oga Seunthomas would want it, just know that it is pregnant with Common Language Runtime (CLR) and Framework Class Library

Thanks
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 9:28pm On Jul 19, 2016
Olumyco:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Bro. try and get what I am saying. Nobody is saying .net is class of libraries. What U wrote still support what I wrote but only that U r trying to separate the content of .net and then sticking only to the runtime part of it as the nomenclature.

ur classification

1. .net as abstraction of machine

2. .net as a framework

Mine

1. CLR

2. Class libraries

So what's the difference

.net CLR is a virtual machine. And a Virtual Machine is an abstraction away from native code (machine).

All I can see is that U r trying to describe .net CLR and .net framework as separate entities just the way we av it in other languages like java.
But I can tell U it's not it.

.net combines both the runtime and the class libraries together and that is why U cannot compare it with JVM.

JVM is only a virtual machine which U can compare to .net CLR but .net is more than a CLR.

Though I too have problem with Microsoft in terms of nomenclature. Naming it .net Framework to me is quite misleading except those that really understands what is happening under the hood. But my point is this:

".net Whatever" is both CLR and Class libraries. Other third party libraries can be used on it. But it is clear .net comes with CLR and internal libraries just like Node.js.

Get this .net contains almost 13, 000 classes. If .net did not come with libraries so how do we use it for Web (ASP.net), desktop apps and co.
.net expose a lots of classes (API) - file class, Graphic class, SmtpClient Class and so on.

Now the closest to .net is Node.js

I think we can form a Nomenclature for .net ourselves

May b we shud call it .net platform

Besides if we call it ".net Framework" just know that it's a Robust Framework that is pregnant with CLR and Framework Class Library

And if we call it ".net Runtime" just as Oga Seunthomas would want it, just know that it is pregnant with Common Language Runtime (CLR) and Framework Class Library

Thanks
Forget it. You cant understand it. You are still repeating the same mistake.
.Net is different architecturally from the .Net framework.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2016
KazukiIto:
Bunch of suits! Anyways, what is .NET please?
That is the very mystery of this thread? Call me a NOOB, all these guys are saying is rubbish.
.NET is that plugin we use to install that they call ehm ehm dotnetframework when you want to install some microsoft stuffs on your windows.
So all these stuffs these GOLIATHS above are talking, to be honest, i no fit understand am at all. cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nmeri17: 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2016
^^^ are you seriously crying?? grin grin grin

*unfollows thread before I suffer a nervous breakdown
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by KazukiIto(m): 10:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
dhtml18:

That is the very mystery of this thread? Call me a NOOB, all these guys are saying is rubbish.
.NET is that plugin we use to install that they call ehm ehm dotnetframework when you want to install some microsoft stuffs on your windows.
So all these stuffs these GOLIATHS above are talking, to be honest, i no fit understand am at all. cry cry cry cry cry

DCss18 you no go kill me with laugh abeg. Hehehe!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Olumyco(m): 10:34pm On Jul 19, 2016
seunthomas:

Forget it. You cant understand it. You are still repeating the same mistake.
.Net is different architecturally from the .Net framework.

Seunthomas here U go going! What many pple here do not know is that there is no Mr. Know - all. We are all learning.

So U seems to Understand and believe that what U r saying here is valid, well that's okay. But pls do more research or better still prove ur point here that another version exist without class libraries. Since that's d point U r making.

This is a fact that is known by many that .net is two fold.

I will welcome proofs from U concerning ur claim against this

Thanks.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by henryexe: 12:05am On Jul 20, 2016
dueal:
Firstly, these arguments are silly. When you say a technology is dead, do you mean unsupported or not used by developers any longer? The .NET is not in either of those classifications. Use the "right" tool for the job.
DON'T go building websites with C++, Don't prototype with Java, Don't write lowlevel in C#, and leave assembly to the compiler.

When you have work to do....use the tools that work based on time, efficiency, and expressiveness.

Wow!!! its been ages. Good to know you still follow this section I thought you gave up. Stil waiting for dammytosh.

1 Like

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:59am On Jul 20, 2016
prodam:
Many people think .NET is actually a language, the reason for the common question, Do you do .NET or PHP?. I think this dude is one of them.LOL

+1

Any one currently in trend will understand .NET is now a monster and still maintains its record of being "Classy". This has been the reason why many organizations still see it as the only platform to build "Enterprise" solutions.

Abeg no Press P o, we just dey relate.

He thinks .NET is a language and would later come on here to form boss.!
Dumbass!!!!!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 4:51am On Jul 20, 2016
Abeg make someone tell us what .NET is o, them don confuse person here o.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by guru01(m): 9:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
The reason we are going to make .NET known....
Wait wait .NET is...that's all.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by cbrass(m): 11:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
What is .NET
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by cbrass(m): 11:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
Please help a newbie cry
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 21, 2016
^^Please help a troll learn what .NET is, all the above big big grammar are scattering my brain.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 21, 2016
.NET is an umbrella for all languages, including Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ijaw, Edo ......... etc. This is the whole story of .Net.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Codenister: 9:00am On Jul 21, 2016
.NET is a very special kind of versatile net. You can use for almost any purpose, e.g as a mosquito net, as a fishing net, as a net ladies where on the head etc.
The . in the name of the net represents any purpose
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 21, 2016
This is very good, i have been suspecting all along that my mosquito .NET!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by D34lw4p(m): 10:17am On Jul 21, 2016
Gently learning from the bosses and trolls smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Java Vs C Sharp / How To Deploy Application With Access Database In Vb.net 2008 / Programming Section Moderator Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.