Stats: 3,194,762 members, 7,955,906 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:17 PM

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves (8451 Views)

Experience Java And .NET Programmers Wanted For Contract Employment / We're Hiring - Java And .NET Programmers / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O (2) (3) (4)

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 21, 2016
D34lw4p:
Gently learning from the bosses and trolls smiley
biko, who are the trolls?

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by D34lw4p(m): 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2016
dhtml18:
biko, who are the trolls?
lol, you na. smiley
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
D34lw4p:
lol, you na. smiley
Santa maria!! me a trolllllll?? this is preposterous!!!! Ama gonna sue you for LIBEL!!!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by D34lw4p(m): 5:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
dhtml18:

Santa maria!! me a trolllllll?? this is preposterous!!!! Ama gonna sue you for LIBEL!!!
internet troll cheesy
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
D34lw4p:
internet troll cheesy
This is not fair, I go about minding my business and not finding anyone's trouble, and yet you label me a gadem INTERNET TROLL?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by D34lw4p(m): 5:18pm On Jul 21, 2016
dhtml18:

This is not fair, I go about minding my business and not finding anyone's trouble, and yet you label me a gadem INTERNET TROLL?
you just created an argument on what you know truly well, you will be very good at debating. smiley
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 21, 2016
Who told you that I know .NET very well? Can you not see all the insults I have chopped on this thread, proving that I cannot even distinguish mosquito-net from fish-net? Me, i no sabi anything at all o.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by pumpindkay(m): 8:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
Comments from same blog :

Alcides Fonseca March 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm
Although I have never been a recruiter, I don’t agree with you in a sense that using .NET means that you are in the Microsoft Kitchen. One thing is to only know how to use Visual Studio with drag and drop stuff, and other is to use .NET.
My example: I have mainly programmed _by choice_ in Python, Ruby, Scala, Haskell, C# and currently I’m doing Java. Working on .NET as I did is not an example of being in the Microsoft Kitchen School. I’ve used Compact .NET (in pre-iPhone era), GUI programming for windows, and games with XNA. And at the time, .NET was the best choice for those problems. (Regarding XNA, was a free and fast way to prototype a game concept, something that would have taken 40x in OpenCL)
And I’ve also done IronPython and IronRuby on .NET. And I surely didn’t have anything automated as at the time there was no IDE support. But it was the quickest way of building a speech recognition prototype.
Oh, and F# programmers are by definition good programmers. And they work on .NET.
.NET is a good platform (I’m not saying that is the best, not even that is better than the JVM) and there are excellent programmers using it. And I don’t blame them if they use Visual Studio and all the GUI improvements, intellisense and refactorings. In fact if you are working with such a verbose language such as C# or Java, having that support improves your development speed and code readability. And I don’t care if it’s Visual Studio, Eclipse, Vim or even Emacs.

Doron March 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm
I’ve read much bullshit over the years, but this tops it all. I personally have wrote code in more than a dozen languages and would still prefer .net any-day. You can write almost anything with any language. You can develop web.apps in assembly language if you insist, but it’ll take 10 times more time and money than doing it with .net, php, ror or other modern languages and you’ll have 10 times more bugs to deal with. This attitude is plain stupid arrogance. If it were a company doing embedded systems for the defense industry I’d understand, but from a company that deals with invoices… you must be kidding!

......... ................... ..... ........................ ........

Ian March 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm
I started programming aged 8. Assembly language aged 13. I have 6 year commercial experience in Assemble language and 2 years in low-level C.
I love programming in C# because it allows me to quickly and easily move what is in my mind, into the computer. There is very low friction.
Please identify a programming problem that is difficult to implement in C# and give us a beautifully efficient Haskall or Java solution… or STFU

.... ...... ... ...... . .. ....................................

Jim March 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Wow – it’s not every day that someone gains international attention by loudly and proudly broadcasting their ignorance, which is apparently based on a profound lack of understanding and second hand arguments you must have heard by people (quite possibly) less informed than you are (assuming that’s actually possible). But you should congratulate yourself – you did it quite nicely. (.NET is a “dandy language”? Really?!) Besides having lost some IQ points due to reading your post, I feel compelled to respond that “we” – being intelligent, cross-platform, open-source contributing, .NET and other language-embracing developers – don’t like lazy CEOs who obviously don’t make an effort to truly understand the industry they so arrogantly claim to have a grasp of. Self-aggrandizing blowhards like yourself are a dime a dozen. Good luck eating those squirrels. The rest of us have some fine dining to enjoy.
PS – if you have an ounce of humility in your soul, how about objectively comparing the language features of C# to Java? How about reviewing some of the incredible work being done by the likes of Mark Rendle, Ben Vanderveen, Alex Robson, Jon Skeet, Chris Patterson, Glen Block, Rob Eisenberg or Steve Sanderson? Why not look into the Mono project to get a better picture of the heart and soul of many C# developers who deploy their .NET code to POSIX-based systems alongside their Erlang and Ruby code?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
^^^Some nairaland experts will argue this one out.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 22, 2016
That last guy, commenting vex o.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 22, 2016
MULLAH123:
The gaddemn trolls on that blog don frustrate the guy ni o. He cannot close his mouth any longer, so he come open am like BASKET.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by abubaka101: 12:37pm On Jul 22, 2016
MULLAH123:
His humour killed me.

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by project7(m): 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2016
seunthomas:
I would like to contribute my 2 kobo. Firstly, .Net is not a language but a runtime. The .Net platform has several languages and even languages like php,python,ruby could be ported to work on .Net VM.
In the early stage when the .Net framework was developed (early 2000), it was actually far more advanced than even Java. The closed nature of the framework made it develop far slower than most open languages. Its actually adopts new idealogies faster than Java.
I develop on most of this platforms and can categorically say anyone making such an assumption is ignorant. .Net is now more open and i can say that it will be relevant for a long time.

Thanks. You said my mind.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sisqology(m): 11:30pm On Jul 30, 2016
AntiWailer:

Your Dot.Net programmers were just unlucky to be in an environment where their dot net skill is probably not appreciated or needed by people they look up to.

I can count over 9 friends that we have done over 10 years on .net together and they are 'balling'

Same here
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 31, 2016
I only know ONE SINGLE PROGRAMMER in Nigeria at the moment that uses .NET, even he is already migrating to PHP. But the .NET will want to argue this out.
From my own statistics, the PHP and PYTHON programmers in Nigeria appear to be faring better than their .NET counterparts. Maybe it is just my own perspective, but this is what I observe from the programmers TROLLIN' around me.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sisqology(m): 8:27am On Jul 31, 2016
dhtml18:
I only know ONE SINGLE PROGRAMMER in Nigeria at the moment that uses .NET, even he is already migrating to PHP. But the .NET will want to argue this out.
From my own statistics, the PHP and PYTHON programmers in Nigeria appear to be faring better than their .NET counterparts. Maybe it is just my own perspective, but this is what I observe from the programmers TROLLIN' around me.

.Net languages (c# especially) from my own perspective are mostly used for enterprise projects ( in Nigeria), dunno about other countries but PHP and Python programmers seem to be moving it in Nigeria these days because there's a very high demand of PHP programmers, even Java self... but python programmers seem to be on the low demand.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by dueal(m): 11:11am On Jul 31, 2016
dhtml18:

From this I think I see why dhtml guy is still on this matter. .NET isn't a language, it isn't ASP.Net it's way bigger. So if the only person you know that has moved from using ".NET" to using PHP then he must have been doing WebSites/WebApps.

In that case I agree to skipping ASP.NET to using PHP. Like I said, use the "right" tool for the job.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nmeri17: 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2017
pumpindkay:
Comments from same blog :

Jim March 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Wow – it’s not every day that someone gains international attention by loudly and proudly broadcasting their ignorance, which is apparently based on a profound lack of understanding and second hand arguments you must have heard by people (quite possibly) less informed than you are (assuming that’s actually possible). But you should congratulate yourself – you did it quite nicely. (.NET is a “dandy language”? Really?!) Besides having lost some IQ points due to reading your post, I feel compelled to respond that “we” – being intelligent, cross-platform, open-source contributing, .NET and other language-embracing developers – don’t like lazy CEOs who obviously don’t make an effort to truly understand the industry they so arrogantly claim to have a grasp of. Self-aggrandizing blowhards like yourself are a dime a dozen. Good luck eating those squirrels. The rest of us have some fine dining to enjoy.
PS – if you have an ounce of humility in your soul, how about objectively comparing the language features of C# to Java? How about reviewing some of the incredible work being done by the likes of Mark Rendle, Ben Vanderveen, Alex Robson, Jon Skeet, Chris Patterson, Glen Block, Rob Eisenberg or Steve Sanderson? Why not look into the Mono project to get a better picture of the heart and soul of many C# developers who deploy their .NET code to POSIX-based systems alongside their Erlang and Ruby code?
Still grin as grin funny grin as grin the grin first grin time
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by bet9ja(m): 11:38am On Dec 30, 2017
Nigerian programming language users don start again, somewhere in Kenya they have developed a beautiful .Net UI Framework called BINUFU. Meanwhile my fellow Nigerians are busy gallivanting on PHP. As a matter of fact, is there any single PHP framework built by a Nigerian?

That said, the controversial article was written by someone who does not know what .Net is really all about.

Java Vs C Sharp / How To Deploy Application With Access Database In Vb.net 2008 / Java Coding Challenge: Task Scheduler