Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? (2763 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Corruption In Nigeria: Even In Churches, Ushers Steal From Offerings – PFN Chief / Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by dgreatrock(m): 10:10pm On Sep 13, 2009
i have to start this thread because of the curiosity of many as to what the offerings and tithes received in churches/ministries are used for. if you have an idea let us know.

please no foul languages and dirty jokes.

thanks
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 13, 2009
Well it depends on the church. Some send it up to God in heaven hence their need of private jets to personally deliver it.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2009
They use the money for occult miracle. Kabish
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:16pm On Sep 13, 2009
[size=13pt]hehehehehehe . . . . . . grin grin[/size]
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by maedan(f): 11:31pm On Sep 13, 2009
I'm just speaking off the top of my head here, but these monies are used for church expenses ie paying bills used in the upkeep of the church, its paid workers (which sometimes includes the preachers), helping the needy etc. Maintenance and the running of the House of God costs big money, and there are usually means of checks and balances so the issue of embezzlement and misuse of funds rarely arises. But I'll leave the question for the experts ton tackle properly.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by GODSON2009(m): 12:44am On Sep 14, 2009
in addittion to what the lady has written,church members who the pastorate and the church in general know as bonafide members are assisted financially,mostly on the down low to discourage everyone bringing frivolous requests for money,money is given to guest ministers,in the case of redeemed a percentage has to be remited to the headquarters either in nigeria or abroad,they also support dif charities mostly in their localities
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by petres007(m): 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2009
Jagoon:

Well it depends on the church. Some send it up to God in heaven hence their need of private jets to personally deliver it.

You got me rolling all over the floor with this one! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 4:10pm On Sep 15, 2009
dgreatrock:

i have to start this thread because of the curiosity of many as to what the offerings and tithes received in churches/ministries are used for. if you have an idea let us know.

thanks
  Dgreatrock,
how dare you a mere albeit honest & probably devoted church attendee think himself to be in such a lofty position so as to query (notwithstanding in a humble fashion) about the the final destination of the tithes and offerings and building funds cajoled out of the congregation every holy sunday morning (and occasionally thursday evenings) in many business centers churches?  grin

Nah but seriously, church finances go to a variety of things:
-from the maintenance of the meeting place aka church,
-to the salary of the church workers (pastors, administrators, building managers etc),
-to the sponsoring of foreign missionaries, to the sponsoring of sister churches elsewhere,
-to the funding of special projects/events like community outreaches/drives/food banks etc
-to the assisting of families within the church that may be in dire need
-to the provision of any and other needs of the congregation that may arise
--and many many more different areas

. . . at least this is where biblically speaking such monies are supposed to go.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by petres007(m): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2009
JeSoul:

. . . at least this is where biblically speaking such monies are supposed to go.

em, but we know thats usually not (only) where these monies go, especially in the case of our penterascal churches grin grin grin

I mean, you forgot to mention that the newly acquired tear-rubber private jet needs to be fueled etc. grin
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2009
Yeah, many modern churches have basterdized the original, intended purpose for many biblical teachings, all for the sole aim of enriching themselves - they will not escape the judgement of God.

My church is pentecostal though. Our pastors live on the property, modest housing, modest cars, modest everything. There is a church board and once a year there is a business meeting where the books are opened up to the entire church to see where the finances are being spent. Also once a year during morning service the general figures and numbers are put up for all to see and know and feel at ease. They still however preach tithing sad but as long as the finances are spent right it makes it easier to swallow that pill.

There are many churches doing it right, its just that the bad eggs are much more in number and much louder in volume.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by petres007(m): 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2009
smiley
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by KunleOshob(m): 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
JeSoul:

I don't agree with you here the early church examples given us in the new testament showed us that church offerings were meant primarily to take care of the needy within the church and outside of it that is not to say it cannot be used to maintain the church/ clergy but priority must be given to those the bible gave it to.

Acts 4:32-35:
32 All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had. 33 The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all. 34 There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them 35 and bring the money to the apostles[b] to give to those in need.[/b]
2 Corinthians 9:7-9:
7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. 9 As the Scriptures say,
  “They share freely and give generously to the poor.
     Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2009
Kunle,

yes we see those specific examples of where the church finance went to but in no way does it suggest this was the only place & way it was meant to be spent. I also don't see it as a matter of which is the 'primary' goal, but moreso every need should be examined and then the finances meted out accordingly.

If a small church's pastor had a great need in his family and was in dire circumstances, should the church skip over him and go ahead and assign the finance to the food bank for that week because feeding the poor is the primary goal? of course not. The scriptures also say "do not muzzle the oxen while it feeds".

The church's mission is to serve the saints, serve the community and advance the kingdom of God by actively preaching the gospel all over the world and making disciples. If the church finances are spent in such a manner that supports & advances these goals then it is biblical and it is fine.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 6:45pm On Sep 15, 2009
@jesu, you better stop lying on ur pentecostal mosque, church i mean, they all gather the money to organise fake miracle, if you don't know now you know
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2009
^^^ yes yes Abuzola, we have noticed you and your point. Thank you. Now run back along to your islamic section.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by KunleOshob(m): 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2009
Abuzola:

@jesu, you better stop lying on your pentecostal mosque, church i mean, they all gather the money to organise fake miracle, if you don't know now you know

what are you looking for on this christian thread again at least we know money collected in mosques is being used to finance terrorism all over the world.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2009
KunleOshob:

what are you looking for on this christian thread again at least we know money collected in mosques is being used to finance terrorism all over the world.
ROTFLOL grin grin
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by petres007(m): 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2009
Abuzola:

@jesu, you better stop lying on your pentecostal mosque, church i mean, they all gather the money to organise fake miracle, if you don't know now you know

Ehen! Abuzola don show! grin

JeSoul:

^^^ yes yes Abuzola, we have noticed you and your point. Thank you. Now run back along to your islamic section.

Girl, that was cold you know grin grin

KunleOshob:

Chei! This one na finishing move o! grin grin grin
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 7:39pm On Sep 15, 2009
Ahhi ! When you people show some love to muslim, we have married lot of christian women and make them remain in their christianity, mazaje is a living witness.

Why oh why ?
This shows that the muslim are more patient and preserverance. Thank God am a muslim
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 15, 2009
dgreatrock:

thanks

Part of the money collected in the churches are used for the propagation of the gospel of Christ. e.g. for printing of tracts, magazines, purchasing of Bibles for some new members etc. Other part are used for Church Upkeep/maintenance. . .such as house rents, nepa bills, payment of salary to some part time workers/full time workers in the church, for purchase of certain equipments needed in the church as well, e.g Generators, Piano, Sound systems etc.

I wouldn't know if this really help your curiosity. . . . .Regards
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by rexertea(m): 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2009
My church uses the money to arrange meetings and religious seminars. Church money is also used to help the poor at times. the money is also used to support a evangelist and the pastor of the church. there may be other religious uses for instance, buying musical instrument for the church etc.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by JeSoul(f): 8:20pm On Sep 15, 2009
petres_007:

Girl, that was cold you know grin grin

hehe . . . Jesus employed 2 methods of dealing with people. Sometimes he came with love, other times he came with a whip cool. Many people on this forum need serious koboko, the water-cane type.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 8:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
Rexetra thank you for confessing the truth
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Eaglebabe: 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2009
If the person that sent this post is a christian,l am disappointed in u.That shows how u fear and respect God embarassed.A muslim cannot send yhis kind of post against Islam
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Eaglebabe: 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
Muslims use the money they collect in the mosque to marry wives for their Mallams.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 8:42pm On Sep 15, 2009
Eagle, you are so naive. So you don't want the truth to be spewed, well we have heard it
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by dgreatrock(m): 8:42pm On Sep 15, 2009
JeSoul:

hehe . . . Jesus employed 2 methods of dealing with people. Sometimes he came with love, other times he came with a whip  cool. Many people on this forum need serious koboko, the water-cane type.
well said typed grin grin grin
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by dgreatrock(m): 8:45pm On Sep 15, 2009
Abuzola:

Eagle, you are so naive. So you don't want the truth to be spewed, well we have heard it
angry

Abuzola:

shocked

Abuzola:

They use the money for occult miracle. Kabish

how does a muslim know what they do with church money
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Eaglebabe: 8:53pm On Sep 15, 2009
I don't blame u Abuzola u are fasting so u have a minor brain damage.I know that when u pple are fasting u behave like goats.
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by tlo(f): 9:01pm On Sep 15, 2009
I am an account officer who manages a church's account. In their case most of the monies are kept in deposits and finance their church projects, crusades, construction, maintenance, advertisements etc
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by dgreatrock(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2009
Eaglebabe:

I don't blame u Abuzola u are fasting so u have a minor brain damage.I know that when u pple are fasting u behave like goats.

Do they truly fast? tongue
Re: Monies Taken In Churches, What Are They Used For? by Abuzola(m): 9:38pm On Sep 15, 2009
Where did jesus tell you to fast, not to talk of description. Quote it and i will embrace xtrianity. Ignorant people that don't know their book

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christainity Is A False Religion / Pope Francis Starting To Suspect He May Actually Be The Antichrist After All / Atheist Killed After Posting Criticisms Of Religion On Social Media (graphic Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.