Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,912 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Are Igbo's Really Jews? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Igbo's Really Jews? (7975 Views)

Are Igbo Really Smart ? / Why Are Igbo Towns 98% Indigenous? / Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by nex(m): 12:57pm On Sep 19, 2009
@na_so

I told you to stay away else you be bamboozled. Now you're wishing your IQ was less than 10 how are we sure it isn't already?
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by naso2(m): 2:50pm On Sep 19, 2009
nex:

@na_so

I told you to stay away else you be bamboozled. Now you're wishing your IQ was less than 10 how are we sure it isn't already?

Bamboozele me? Ol boy I hope say your head correct sha?

people have cracked very difficult topics on this forum without any noise as per IQ or whatever.

You came in here and sounded a warning on the minimum IQ required to participate here and assumed  you meet the cut-off mark you set.

If in the remotest sense your postulations are correct, that does not really reflect IQ, it most likely will mean you have better access to historical records. Dont come here harassing people about IQ.

In line with what you said on OZUBULUS being the largest jewish group in the world now , I will humbly ask

1. What is the source of  this your proncouncements?
2.  What is the population of the ozubulus?
3. Are the ozubulus igbos? If No then where are the generality of igbos from? If yes why  did you not categorically state that  all Igbos are  jews.?
4. which part of Nigeria do the  "eris" reside in?

I will stop here for now in this my quest to increase my IQ geometrically by your "grace".
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by onemopol: 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2009
@poster

And whats so special about being jews, especially now that the time of gentiles has come?
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by ikeyman00(m): 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2009
@@@@

and Isreal isnt 1st world?

are they?
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by paddylo1(m): 9:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
This discussion is not for idiots. Please those of you who know that you IQ is double digit or less, just stay off.

Let me begin by saying that humanity originated in Africa and as Africans. Shem, Ham and Japheth were all Africans so I really don't know how Ham or Canaan could have been cursed to become African all over again. Please for those of you who have only heard rumours about the curse placed on Ham and his descendants, please, read the entire Genesis Chapter 9 and be rid of your ignorance.

The people who claim to be Jews today, are actually Germans who adopted Judaism in the 17th century and later grew to become the largest group of people who adopted Judaism in Europe so after Hitler they became entitled to Palestine.

Compile a list of about 100 surnames of Jews in Israel today and check for the origin of most of those names, you will find they are German.

The largest tribe of Jews as reported in the Bible are now claimed by these European impostors as "lost tribes of Israel" yet they are there; the Ozubulu.

Someone said the Jews are like the Fulani, nomadic, always moving from place to place. I ask : what Jews? What Fulani? There are several Jews but the Shephardic Jews roam around with animals, just like the nomadic Fulani trek their cattle. There are other Fulani groups who don't even know the first thing about cattle.

Anyway, it was written, my people perish for lack of knowledge.

Jews are originally from Africa and the largest group of jews in the world are a group in Nigeria called the Ozubulu. The most respected group of Jews in the world which is the only set of Jews which must produce Priests is the Eri which also are located in Nigeria.

you took the words right out of my mouth,the only thing i have to add is that the word JEW is an european construct

the ancient dark skinned nomads that wrote the old testament referred to themselves as hebrews,not jews

the term jew comes from the word JEWELRY,these were people in europe who were good in being GOLDSMITHS and so on

thats why a lot of jews are named,goldstein and so on

EUROPEAN JEWS u see in israel today are NOT,i repeat NOT the ones that wrote the old testament back then,these people were dark and by the way back then europeans were either cave dwelling or non existent

one last thing,the Question should be ARE igbos descended from the ANCIENT HEBREWS?

and there are enuff similarities in both cultures to say that some hebrews probably wandered and settled in present day eastern nigeria and mixed up with the people there to become igbos
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by bilymuse: 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2009
you took the words right out of my mouth,the only thing i have to add is that the word JEW is an european construct

the ancient dark skinned nomads that wrote the old testament referred to themselves as hebrews,not jews

the term jew comes from the word JEWELRY,these were people in europe who were good in being GOLDSMITHS and so on

thats why a lot of jews are named,goldstein and so on

EUROPEAN JEWS u see in israel today are NOT,i repeat NOT the ones that wrote the old testament back then,these people were dark and by the way back then europeans were either cave dwelling or non existent

one last thing,the Question should be ARE igbos descended from the ANCIENT HEBREWS?

and there are enuff similarities in both cultures to say that some hebrews probably wandered and settled in present day eastern nigeria and mixed up with the people there to become igbos

Going by the above analyses its possible Igbo are Jews, possible Yoruba are Jews, possible Hausa are Jews, possible the entire Africa continent is of Jewish origin.

Rubbish.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by citizenY(m): 6:18pm On Nov 23, 2009
No Igbo have already claimed it. Hausa and Yoruba should search elsewhere and you know these people, when they grab someting
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by morpheus24: 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2009
paddy_lo:

thats why a lot of jews are named,goldstein and so on[/b]EUROPEAN JEWS u see in israel today are NOT,i repeat NOT the ones that wrote the old testament back then,these people were dark and by the way back then europeans were either cave dwelling or non existent

How can I agree with you when first of all your origins of the word [b]Jew are false. Please look up ethomology of that word for accurate analysis on its origin.

The second point of Europeans being non existent is false. Jewish history is 5-10, 000 years old. the repopulation of Europe is 40,000 years old.

On the third point. There is no genetic evidence of gene flow from what we know as the levant area to any parts of West Africa including the Igobs. The only traces are found in tribes who range across north Africa as several Jewish sephardic populations wondered these parts. Middle easterners are the closed genetic reference to populations that existed in those areas going way back.

Sinmilarities in culture to not denote any relationship necessarily with one another.

There are similare vocal performances and dances that are practiced by people who inhabit the sahel region in Africa to some indian religious dances and song format. Does not mean they are any how related culturally, religiously or genetically for that matter.

This matter on Igbo Jews holds no merit what so ever.

And to add to that anyone that believes in the story of Shem , ham or Japhet repopulating the earth should not cross this data with science. They are incompatible.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Abagworo(m): 7:14pm On Nov 23, 2009
many people found in present day nigeria were either related to jews or egyptians.for the igbos where i come from they are not jews but refer to themselves as umuoru meaning children of ''oru'' .again we say ''oru'' and ''igbo'' are brothers.different people make up the village some are aros,idus,orus,umunri,igara,abam and more.of all these groups,it is the nris or eris who believe they came from israel and were descendants of garth.from my own view they might actually be from israel.the eris might not be up to 5% of igbos but they are widespread and perform the traditional rituals.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by morpheus24: 7:20pm On Nov 23, 2009
Abagworo:

[b]many people found in present day nigeria were either related to jews or egyptian[/b]s.for the igbos where i come from they are not jews but refer to themselves as umuoru meaning children of ''oru'' .again we say ''oru'' and ''igbo'' are brothers.different people make up the village some are aros,idus,orus,umunri,igara,abam and more.of all these groups,it is the nris or eris who believe they came from israel and were descendants of garth.from my own view they might actually be from israel.the eris might not be up to 5% of igbos but they are widespread and perform the traditional rituals.
you need to site me some evidence of this.

I need DNA sampling to connect any dots. if it is true. It will be in the blood. DNA never lies.

Contemporary West Africans are as genetically distinct from Hebrews or Egyptians as much as  ancient Egyptians are genetically distinct from  ancient Bedouin tribes.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Abagworo(m): 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2009
morpheus24:

I need DNA sampling to connect any dots. if it is true. It will be in the blood. DNA never lies.

Contemporary West Africans are as genetically distinct from Hebrews or Egyptians as much as ancient Egyptians are genetically distinct from ancient Bedouin tribes.

i would like to know if you believe that those germans that now inhabit israel were actually the hebrews?

if you noticed,i wrote about my people and not all igbos because of how complex igbo as a group is.some igbos especially the eris believe that they are children of eri in the bible.they were the ones that influenced other igbos with jewish culture.my own kindred trace our roots to oru which is either extinct or swallowed up by igbo and ijaw.we are not jews.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by morpheus24: 7:52pm On Nov 23, 2009
Abagworo:

i would like to know if you believe that those germans that now inhabit israel were actually the hebrews?

if you noticed,i wrote about my people and not all igbos because of how complex igbo as a group is.some igbos especially the eris believe that they are children of eri in the bible.they were the ones that influenced other igbos with jewish culture.my own kindred trace our roots to oru which is either extinct or swallowed up by igbo and ijaw.we are not jews.

I have no business arguing about the authenticity of The hebrews in Israel today, however if you are asking my opinion or studies of them I will point to the fact that they are a make up of a large chunk of[b] Europeans of middle eastern descent(ashkenazi)[/b], Jewish and Hebrew descendants that have inhabited the Palestinian and levant areas for milennia and never left there(mizrahi), other jewish groups that migrated into North Africa  that retained strong hebrew and Jewish ties and lastly converts to the Jewish faith.

Again I don't know how this children of eri can believe or practice traditions (apart from circumcision) that did not exist for them in written form and was introduced only when christianity penetrated eastern Nigeria. Most of the igbos traditions are oral and open to imagination and conjectures much like their gods and history.

I bring up genetic middle eastern markers and East AFrican markers to attest  to studies of some sort of gene inheritance from the regions Hebrews are thought to be from and Jewish populations around the world. There is still no known evidence of this.for Igbos.

As far as cultural infusion. There is a possibility because culture in of itself is dynamic. If you say igbos adopted Jewish or hebrew traditions from one traveling ancestorwho immigrated back to Igbo land I could conceed that point however if you say it is inherited biologically as in common ancestoral descent. I see no evidence of that. The descent would be of a cultural and not a biological one.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by tracy56(f): 8:32pm On Nov 23, 2009
say some thing reasonable , delete this topic
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by bereal2: 8:49pm On Nov 23, 2009
it is a well known fact that if nigeria has been allowed to be led by the 'igbo' all these 49 yrs ,things, definitely would have been better.take it or leave it !
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by morpheus24: 8:57pm On Nov 23, 2009
be-real:

it is a well known fact that if nigeria has been allowed to be led by the 'igbo' all these 49 yrs ,things, definitely would have been better.take it or leave it !
What has that got to do with Igbos and Jews.

Are you insinuationg some sort of God's blessing from Igbo Jews.

If igbos ruled Nigeria it would have been mafia style God fatherism everyday, Look at the east and take a cue.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by paddylo1(m): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2009
The second point of Europeans being non existent is false. Jewish history is[b] 5-10, 000[/b] years old. the repopulation of Europe is 40,000 years old.

my friend if u dont know anything about human history then dont start talking

the first modern europeans appeared as romans and greeks around 400bc

thats only 2,400yrs ago,there might have been neanderthals and some homosapiens in europe,but they were cave dwellers and had no organized structure
no govt,no religion nothing,go read the history of rome and greece and then come back

b4 then u had africa,egypt(part of africa),and then the hebrews showed up some 6000 yrs ago around 4,000bc

so u have africans------->egyptians-------->hebrew israelites---------->asians----------------->then europeans

now u claim the white man that came last is hebrew,meanwhile the african and egyptian whom the hebrew are a part of and got most of the culture from has no link with the hebrew
yea right
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Onlytruth(m): 10:01pm On Nov 23, 2009
morpheus24:

What has that got to do with Igbos and Jews.

Are you insinuationg some sort of God's blessing from Igbo Jews.

If igbos ruled Nigeria it would have been mafia style God fatherism everyday, Look at the east and take a cue.

It is a known fact (at least by educated people), that the mafia was (is) a happy marriage between the Jews and Italians (Sicilians). The Jews bring the wits (pure intelligence), the Sicilians bring the guts (pure taste for blood). The Igbo share about 99% socio-cultural similarity with the Jews (if you really study it, not just be driven by emotions). That similarity comes with consequences, eg. the Igbos and Jews hardly agree among themselves. There is a saying that for every two Jews, there are three Synagogues,and for every Jew, there are two Synagogues. There are many many other similarities. I personally think that the Jews are Igbos, not the other way round.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by morpheus24: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2009
paddy_lo:

my friend if u dont know anything about human history then dont start talking
the first modern europeans appeared as romans and greeks around 400bc

thats only 2,400yrs ago,there might have been neanderthals and some homosapiens in europe,but they were cave dwellers and had no organized structure
no govt,no religion nothing,go read the history of rome and greece and then come back

b4 then u had africa,egypt(part of africa),and then the hebrews showed up some 6000 yrs ago around 4,000bc

so u have africans------->egyptians-------->hebrew israelites---------->asians----------------->then europeans

now u claim the white man that came last is hebrew,meanwhile the african and egyptian whom the hebrew are a part of and got most of the culture from has no link with the hebrew
yea right

It just goes to show you are confused about what someone looks like and how far back you can trace that look.

Please note what you know as Europeans today descend from Migrations that have been postulated to have begun about 40,000 + years ago into Europe. The people that went there were Homo sapien much like the people that lived in Africa in the same time frame.  THe Europeans had religions, culture and a fairly organized loose structure of civility much like any group of people any where on the planet.

The Hebrew language does not show origins within the interior of Africa or show any affiliations with West African languages, therefore its origins has be placed somewhere between the levant, Mesopotamia, Arabia and East Africa.

As far as features are concerned, all groups that exist around the world today did not look exactly how they did today 40, 000 years ago including the Africans. Isolation in the north brought forth the modern looking European type. To say Modern looking European types were not around or didnot have some sort of culture during ancient egyptian civilizations or Hebrew types is inaccurate. They were there, they were just more isolated and less civilized than their contemporaries

To further insinuate that Europeans cannot be jewish or jews is even more popoustrous knowing that a middle eastern Y male haplogroup J exists in most Ashkenazi Jews and is absent from Scandanavian and Germanic tribes. This haplogroup originates in the levant and exclusive to Middle easterners and north Africans in general.

Igbos are not biological descendants of Middle eastern/North African Hebrews. This does not take away the fact that some Hebrew populations may have been Black/Dark Skinned Africans.

Please study:
Europe is thought to have been colonized by northwest bound migrants from Central Asia and the Middle East. The expansion is thought to have begun 45,000 years ago and may have taken up to 15,000 years for Europe to be fully colonized.[7][11] During this time the Neanderthals were slowly being displaced. Because it took so long for Europe to be overrun, it appears that humans and Neanderthals may have been constantly competing for territory. The Neanderthals were larger and had a more robust or heavy built frame which may suggest that they were physically stronger than modern Homo sapiens. Having lived in Europe for 200,000 years they would have been better adapted to the cold weather. The anatomically modern humans known as the Cro-Magnons, however, with superior technology and language would eventually completely displace the Neanderthals, whose last refuge was in the Iberian peninsula. After about 30,000 years ago the fossil record of the Neanderthals ends, indicating that they had become extinct. The last known population lived around a cave system on the remote south-facing coast of Gibraltar from 30,000 to 24,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by bilymuse: 1:59pm On Nov 26, 2009
After reading all the thread above, I ve come to realise " I am a Jew". I belong to the lost tribe of Israel, a direct descendant of King Solomon.

Please, can anybody supply me with the direct mobile phone number of the Israeli ambassador to Nigeria, cos I would love to migrate to Israel and be close with my ancestors.

Biko, help a desperate and persecuted Jew for the sake of humanity.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by No2Atheism(m): 11:13pm On Nov 26, 2009
morpheus24:

Contemporary West Africans are as genetically distinct from Hebrews or Egyptians as much as  ancient Egyptians are genetically distinct from  ancient Bedouin tribes.

1. Be careful you are starting to sound a little religious about DNA this and DNA that . . .

2. Yes you are correct that DNA itself may not lie . . .

3. Nevertheless DNA does not talk and neither does it write . . .

4. Human beings still need to be able to read what the DNA is saying . . .

5. Hence there is still the human factor that ends up reading or ignoring unwanted DNA "information".

6. Hence even though DNA may not lie . . . . . . but those who interprete it do lie sometimes . . .

Please be careful not to put your faith in DNA test reported by Eurocentric individuals. . . one thing i have come to understand is that Europeans are serpentine and are difficult to trust cus they are continually doing things that would give them an advantage (which does not suprise me cus a significant number of them descended from Barbarians)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recent scandal of global warming fraud showing that scientists were actively cooking up scientific data shows that even though the data itself might not lie . . . nevertheless the scientist is still a human being capable of making the data look like its saying something else . . .
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by No2Atheism(m): 11:24pm On Nov 26, 2009
morpheus24:

Again I don't know how this children of eri can believe or practice traditions (apart from circumcision) that did not exist for them in written form and was introduced only when christianity penetrated eastern Nigeria. Most of the igbos traditions are oral and open to imagination and conjectures much like their gods and history.

1. Is your statement about circumscision specific to the children of Eri or are you generalising towards Africans in general.

2. Otherwise it would be wrong to say that Christianity brought circumscision to Africans in general because:

- Circumscision was already practised in Africa since ancient times (check out Egyptian history for reference to this)
- Circumscision is actually alien to European culture.
- I do not think Chrisitianity brought circumscision to the Yorubas (i maybe wrong on this lipsrsealed). . . (circumscision amongst the yorubas is one of the things i have always wondered about as to where they got the idea from)
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by THEAMAKA3(f): 11:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
HELL NO!!!
the black man was here on this earth first.
the question should be "Are Jews Really Igbos"
SHIT!
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Abagworo(m): 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2009
bilymuse:

After reading all the thread above, I ve come to realise " I am a Jew". I belong to the lost tribe of Israel, a direct descendant of King Solomon.

Please, can anybody supply me with the direct mobile phone number of the Israeli ambassador to Nigeria, cos I would love to migrate to Israel and be close with my ancestors.

Biko, help a desperate and persecuted Jew for the sake of humanity.

lwkmd!
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by No2Atheism(m): 12:13am On Nov 27, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

HELL NO!!!
the black man was here on this earth first.
the question should be "Are Jews Really Igbos"
SHIT!

@theamaka

1. nice concept . . .

2. try to stop using curse words . . .

Trust me it pays in the long run . . .moreover Guys are constantly watching and studying you and your countenance. . .I am a guy and i know that it would profit you in the long run to ignore having to use such words (yes its difficult i would confess but at the end of the day it pays you)

3. You know so much about history, hence why i am suprised as to why you are still choosing to celebrate thanksgiving. . . (actually it has nothing to do with the Bible) don't let the MSM deceive you into thinking it has something to do with it.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:15am On Nov 27, 2009
No2Atheism:

@theamaka

1. nice concept . . .

2. try to stop using curse words . . .

Trust me it pays in the long run . . .moreover Guys are constantly watching and studying you and your countenance. . .I am a guy and i know that it would profit you in the long run to ignore having to use such words (yes its difficult i would confess but at the end of the day it pays you)

3. You know so much about history, hence why i am suprised as to why you are still choosing to celebrate thanksgiving. . . (actually it has nothing to do with the Bible) don't let the MSM deceive you into thinking it has something to do with it.
thanks. . . wink smiley
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by sjeezy8: 1:14am On Nov 27, 2009
yes they are ok
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by SEFAGO(m): 1:41am On Nov 27, 2009
big question what is the obssession with jews
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:10am On Nov 27, 2009
uhm, no the hell we are NOT NOT NOT!!!!
how can someone say im from a Jew? what?
if anything they are from us since we were on this earth before them.
SHIOR!!

SEFAGO:

big question what is the obssession with jews
i dont know ooooo!! angry
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Nobody: 4:44am On Nov 27, 2009
There is nothing like Jew or Hebrew. It's invalid. And stop pulling history off wiki and your asses

Folks are so pathetic!!! First of all you have to question the validity of the Bible which you all got your ideas of Jews and Hebrews from before you arrive at your conclusion. And no Igbos are not jews, they are Igbos
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by nex(m): 9:18am On Nov 27, 2009
Igbos are Hebrew. Those who are referred to as Jews are of the family of Judah. In Anambra state, the people of Ozubulu are the descendants of Zebulun which is the Largest of the 12 tribes.

There's a family in Anambra too I believe known as the Eri which it is clearly stipulated in the old testament that only from that family should the priests be made of.

I don't want to argue this because I have my facts. When you see Nigeria's first flag, there was a Star Of David there. Most of us still don't know what it represents. The Catholic Church concentrated on the catholicization and reorientation of the Ibos more than any other group of Nigerian because they were alarmed when they found a people of more than 10 million Hebrews spread across Easter Nigeria to Cameroun.

Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by No2Atheism(m): 9:22am On Nov 27, 2009
nex:

Igbos are Hebrew. Those who are referred to as Jews are of the family of Judah. In Anambra state, the people of Ozubulu are the descendants of Zebulun which is the Largest of the 12 tribes.

There's a family in Anambra too I believe known as the Eri which it is clearly stipulated in the old testament that only from that family should the priests be made of.

I don't want to argue this because I have my facts. When you see Nigeria's first flag, there was a Star Of David there. Most of us still don't know what it represents. The Catholic Church concentrated on the catholicization and reorientation of the Ibos more than any other group of Nigerian because they were alarmed when they found a people of more than 10 million Hebrews spread across Easter Nigeria to Cameroun.

I don't know how true this igbo jews connection really is . . .nevertheless i would not be suprised by the conjecture about the efforst of the catholics church (still the question remains).

- Are igbos hebrew ?
- If igbos are not hebrews then the conjecture about the catholic church thingy falls flat on its face. . .
- One can only start to consider the catholic church angle if and only if it has been scientifically and historically proven that some Igbos are hebrews.

-----------------------------------

Please what does the star of david have to do with the Bible and Ancient Isrealites . . .cus from my understanding of History and the Bible, the current use of the star of david is not really biblical and thus it can be said to be occultic in nature.
Re: Are Igbo's Really Jews? by Ellyptical: 9:32am On Nov 27, 2009
Actually, the igbo folklore says that the igbos originated from the Nri clan, also called the Eris in some transliterations. The Eris settled in present day Aguleri and Umuleri. In Genesis 46:16, th geneology says that Gad begat Eri.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari's Handshake And Handcuff / Uk No Longer Blacklists Medical Graduates From 9 Nigerian Universities / We Can't Deceive God: Who Did Pastor Adeboye See In Aso Rock?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.