Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? (2423 Views)

Why Do Ladies Of Today Lie About Their Genotype? / "Genotype Issues Have Cost Me Another Relationship" - Nigerian Lady Cries Out / My Fiance Just Left Me Due To Genotype Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Kenneth205(m): 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2016
The question of genotype was not in existence when our grandparents and parents got married to each other but today it limits us from getting married to each other.

Genotype as the name suggests, a person’s genotype refers to the types of genes he or she has for a particular inheritable trait. There are always two copies of each gene, one from each parent. A gene, however can have different versions, called alleles. Alleles are various versions of a gene. The combination of alleles inherited from the parents is what gives rise to genotypes.

Now my story……my first ever relationship started in my undergraduate days and I dated this guy (2 years my senior) for close to 3 years before he ended the relationship.

We both knew we had AS genes 2 years into the relationship but because we loved each other he told me we will get married and abort any pregnancy we discovered was SS.

This made me happy and I thought I need not look for another soul mate.
Six months later (after his youth service) he called me to his house and called off the relationship. I didn’t see it coming because that day was my birthday and I thought he wanted to surprise me (probably with a proposal or an awesome gift). His reason for ending our relationship was as a result of the seminar he attended on genotype and how it affected him; that they were educated on the danger associated with an AS marrying an AS.

I was shocked because we already had this discussion before and we agreed to still get married but abort the foetus if it was SS. He said his heart won’t allow him go on with our previous agreement.

As childish as I was then, I prayed to God to change my genotype to AA so we could get married, of course that didn’t happen and I moved on.

My question now is……...What do you do if it didn’t cross your mind to check your genotype until few months to your wedding? Some churches today insist on sighting the genotype report before joining a couple.

With my little knowledge of the medical world, I know it’s possible for an AS to marry an AS and not to have an SS child. I have heard miracle stories of families with not one of their kids being the SS genotype. The truth is one can never truly predict. If you and your partner have the AS genotype, you should have a long discussion about the options available to you like:
Do you want to end the relationship?
Go for a PGD (Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis wherein the embryos would be screened, and only those free of the SS genotype would be transferred though this procedure is quite expensive) procedure
Go for the prenatal diagnosis and termination procedure
Abortion or permanent birth control procedure.

Today I am married to an AA genotype, though I asked him about his genotype before saying YES to going on a date with him because I didn’t want to experience the same thing the second time.

No matter how strong your love is, seeing your child or children in pain because they are SS genotype can put so much pressure on your relationship and you might want to give it a second thought before going that lane. It might actually be stress-free futuristically, to start life afresh with a new partner.

Credits:
http://www..com/talk/topic,301463.0.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Farano

Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by DucheSsMerezz(f): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
Love is too small for all the pains one will pass through.. Not at the detriment of one's future.
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
Now wondering what Lexxyburg 's genotype? grin
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by vicstar(m): 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2016
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by donTbone(m): 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2016
Well... Thank God you know now. Praying for Miracle in change of genotype isn't bad.... I borke 2relationships because of genotype and am ready to do it over and over$ but, now before getting serious, I find a way of knowing the genotype.
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Dotwillis1(m): 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2016
please break up if you r 'A.S' and your partner is. Same . Very risky
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2016
I no no my own ooo
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Fmartin(m): 3:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
Hmmm.... I can't hurt my future
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by benedictnsi(m): 3:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
why not........ Abi u want make we born pikin like cutehector gringrin

1 Like

Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Smellymouth: 3:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
Yes
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by StupidGoat(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2016
Yeks o undecided
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Kenneth205(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2016
smithsydny:
I no no my own ooo

You better go know am now!
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by tosyne2much(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
Of course I will break up... I don't want to live a miserable marriage life

2 Likes

Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2016
Kenneth205:

You better go know am now!
yes sir
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by faruz: 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2016
oogaa oh wahala wa fun AS oooooo..

Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2016
Before you go into any serious relationship, it's very important you know your partner's genotype #Esp our ladies#. Most times some feel asking such makes them appear desperate, but in the actual sense it's a sign of wisdom. I can't date someone whose genotype is not compatible with mine. Wisdom is profitable to direct
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Cutehector(m): 3:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
benedictnsi:
why not........ Abi u want make we born pikin like cutehector gringrin
grin
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by 4rmthewest(m): 3:55pm On Jul 20, 2016
I can...I'm AA
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by slimthugchimee(m): 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2016
why not
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by NevetsIbot(m): 4:36pm On Jul 20, 2016
That genotype will have to change. I tell you... It has too. it just has to. Ive seen it happen... Ive seen ss turn to AA real life.
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Kenneth205(m): 4:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
NevetsIbot:
That genotype will have to change. I tell you... It has too. it just has to. Ive seen it happen... Ive seen ss turn to AA real life.

Really? How?
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by NevetsIbot(m): 5:04pm On Jul 20, 2016
Kenneth205:

Really? How?
The answer is obvious.... God

1 Like

Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Layooluwa(f): 5:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
Yes I will, you also have to consider the future in some things, Having 'SS' genotype children will cause you so much pain and regret in your marriage homesad
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by kimnicki(f): 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2016
yes oh prevention is better than cure
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Kenneth205(m): 8:17pm On Jul 20, 2016
Layooluwa:
Yes I will, you also have to consider the future in some things, Having 'SS' genotype children will cause you so much pain and regret in your marriage homesad

Nice opinion.
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Layooluwa(f): 8:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Kenneth205:

Nice opinion.
smiley
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Layooluwa(f): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2016
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Lexxyburg(m): 10:07pm On Jul 20, 2016
TrapQueen77:
Now wondering what Lexxyburg 's genotype? grin
AA. what's yours?
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 20, 2016
Lexxyburg:
AA. what's yours?

Maybe AAA like those battery size grin

Hahhaahahah.... Juz kidding boo. I don't know actually. We dont practice this wink
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by bitchcrafts: 11:55pm On Jul 20, 2016
Lord Why? ^^ Stvpid things
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by chawtinz(m): 12:18am On Jul 21, 2016
NevetsIbot:

Lol what about AA to SS? Baba u can lie o
Re: Would You Break Up Relationship With Someone You Love Because Of Their Genotype? by NevetsIbot(m): 12:27am On Jul 21, 2016
chawtinz:

Lol what about AA to SS? Baba u can lie o
and why would you think I'm lying?? What use is it?? Ive seen cases like that so whatever you say goes straight at the back of my mind

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies Can You Marry This Man? See What God Has Done! / Nigerian Drunk Girls Publicly Going Wild / Everything You Need To Know About The Beach Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.