Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School (17947 Views)

Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student / RSUST Announces They Will Be Screening Test Instead Of Post Utme Screening / Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by sonya4all(m): 9:18pm On Jul 21, 2016
The student who was expelled by the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, in 2015, for having “speech and hearing challenges” has been allowed to return to school.
Jane Ottah, 28, who dragged the university before a Rivers State High Court for expelling her over claims that she had disabilities, agreed to an out-of-court settlement with the University on Tuesday.
Ms. Ottah had demanded the university to pay her N20 million as damages in addition to providing the necessary support services and facilities to aid her learning. She also asked the court for a perpetual injunction restraining the university or their agents from discriminating against her in any way.
“I won the case, I’m going back to school,” Ms. Ottah informed PREMIUM TIMES in a Whatsapp message minutes after the court’s decision.
Rotimi Oguneso, the lawyer who took up the case after it was reported by PREMIUM TIMES, confirmed that the matter had been settled.
“We filed terms of settlement in court and same was adopted, the court recognized it as a settlement and it’s binding on all parties,” Mr. Oguneso, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, said over the phone on Wednesday.
“So the university will take her back, she’s resuming in the next academic session.”
Blessing Didia, the school’s Vice Chancellor, also confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that they had agreed to settle out of court, but insisted that Ms. Ottah “was never dismissed ab initio”.
Benedict Ottah, the student’s father, said they agreed to the University’s plea to settle out of court because he wanted his daughter back in school
“We were in court on the 19th of February, the first sitting, their (university) lawyer pleaded for settling out of court,” Mr. Ottah told PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday.
“Then, on the 11th of April, Rotimi (Oguneso) and Femi Falana met them, they agreed on that settlement, not on monetary basis but on educational basis that my daughter shoul resume back to school this September.”
While expressing gratitude to PREMIUM TIMES, Mr. Ottah said the school agreed to assist his daughter settle back in school, as well as carry forward the school fees paid and registrations done in 2014 to September this year.
“She will not be victimized again,” he said.
“The issue is, I didn’t go for monetary compensation, I just forgot about that, let my daughter resume her school.”
PREMIUM TIMES had, in November last year, reported how the University handed a letter of expulsion to Ms. Ottah after it claimed it had observed that she was “medically challenged and have hearing and speech difficulties.”‎
“Since the University does not have special communication facilities, the Vice-Chancellor has directed that you be de-registered on health grounds‎,” the school registrar’s letter to Ms. Ottah read.
“I am in the circumstance, directed to inform you that you have been de-registered on health grounds with immediate effect. You are therefore advised to hand over all University property(ies) in your possession to your Head of Department and thereafter leave the campus.”
The letter was dated 30th January, 2015.
The University’s action was widely condemned by lawyers and human rights activists who described it as “a crude treatment” for a person with disability.
Ms. Ottah, who was in her first year in the Department of Educational Foundation, was writing the semester’s examination when she received the letter.
She was admitted into the university in September 2014.
Before securing admission, Ms. Ottah had passed her West African Examination Council (WAEC) examination with three distinctions and five credits; scored 205 in the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) exam; and passed the university’s post-UME test.
Ms. Ottah described the out-of-court settlement with the university as “not bad”.
“Half bread is better than none.
“My education is very important to me, and I thank Jehovah Ebenezer, the tear wiper has done it for me.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/207272-rivers-university-student-expelled-speech-hearing-challenges-returns-school.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
nice one... the babe make sense kiss kiss[color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by ifymagik(m): 12:18am On Jul 22, 2016
Hosanna
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by kayceeD2(m): 9:19am On Jul 22, 2016
Next
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by celestialAgent(m): 9:20am On Jul 22, 2016
20mil, seriously??
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Prodigee: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2016
#NeverBackDown
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Damfostopper(m): 9:21am On Jul 22, 2016
Hmmmm

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Dottune(m): 9:21am On Jul 22, 2016
I'm happpy for her. Goood follow up by NL mods on this story, at least we have finished watching the season film
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by JOYOSITA(f): 9:22am On Jul 22, 2016
Nice one.
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Princelegacylemoha(m): 9:22am On Jul 22, 2016
Our Lord is Good !!
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by hazyfm: 9:22am On Jul 22, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:

Becareful, She could sue you for breaking her heart in the nearest future.

But Jokes apart, why are we so backward in Nigeria? why can't government make learning process suitable for all. Was it her fault she was born with disabilities?

Happy for her

2 Likes

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Goodeeman: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
Good news
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Qmerit(m): 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
I love your courage so much!
Thank God for that lawyer who took up the case.

1 Like

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by emajoe: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
OP this is very OLD and REPEATED post on NL.
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by rita25(f): 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
UNIPORT SHEBI UNA SAY UNA NO DEY HEAR? UNA DON HEAR BY FORCE, IT TOOK A DEAF GIRL TO CLEAR UNA DOUBT.
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by kka2007(m): 9:24am On Jul 22, 2016
Disability act prohibits any institution from discrimination and victimization based on disability. Kudos to the lady for standing up for her right!
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 22, 2016
see main entrance like Ibadan old gateway... chaii... education for Nigeria naa die...

2 Likes

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by mazichika: 9:24am On Jul 22, 2016
This is what falana is known for.

1 Like

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 22, 2016
Welcome back to School

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Modsenemy(f): 9:25am On Jul 22, 2016
Is she that woman?
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Cutezt(m): 9:25am On Jul 22, 2016
so it is her fault that she was challenged abi? People sef, thank goodness she didn't just sit at home and do nothing..
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by mazichika: 9:25am On Jul 22, 2016
Good one!
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Folanky(m): 9:26am On Jul 22, 2016
That's gud.....bt she suppose collect monetary compesation ooooo for one year waste....
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by emperorchedda(m): 9:26am On Jul 22, 2016
This case was the first time i'm hearing a disabled student was expelled from school, back in UNN we had a bunch of disabled students and they were even more favoured than we the able students

3 Likes

Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by lonelydora: 9:27am On Jul 22, 2016
Wike is working
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by JJbison(f): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2016
Wonderful to hear
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by seunoni34(m): 9:28am On Jul 22, 2016
Good to know that there's still hope for our judicial system
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Ejovwoke(m): 9:28am On Jul 22, 2016
good
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Tunami(m): 9:29am On Jul 22, 2016
Nigeria and their kwack educational system.
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Afritop(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2016
MANY OF OUR SO CALLED UNIVERSITIES WILL STILL REPEAT SUCH AND SIMILAR ACTIONS.
THEY WILL NEVER LEARN AND THEY WILL CONTINUE BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT FOR THEIR UNDER -RATED POSITION IN WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKINGS
Re: Jane Ottah Expelled By RSUST For Hearing Challenges Returns To School by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 22, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:

You need eye drops brobro grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree / 9 Secondary School Struggles We Can All Relate To / Redeemers University To Suspend 22 Students For Not Attending Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.