Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian (4426 Views)

Jermaine Jackson Visits Bola Tinubu / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Micheal Adebolajo Father's House Sealed-off By Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by becomrich15: 2:14am On Sep 16, 2009
I think the government should help them out.

Singer to build Jackson 5 museum at historic slave port.
(February 17, 2009)

*Michael Jackson's brother Marlon is caught up in a controversial plan that will transform the site of an historic slave port in Nigeria into a $3.4 billion slavery memorial that will double as a luxury resort and museum honoring the Jackson 5.

The idea is that the Jackson name will help attract African-American tourists looking to trace their roots back to Nigeria. Organizers believe the plan will honor the history of the transatlantic slave trade and provide employment opportunities for Nigerians.

The plan, however, has been criticized heavily by citizens. Critics dismiss it as a cynical money-making scheme, inappropriate for the subject of such seriousness as the transatlantic slave trade, reports the BBC.   

"This plan is morally reprehensible, it's like dancing on the graves of dead people and telling them you're honouring them," C Don Adinuba, a writer and PR consultant, told the BBC.

The Badagry Resort (artist rendering)

The developers say the Badagry Historical Resort will be marketed to African-Americans as a mixture of luxury tourist attractions and historical education. Visitors will be able to see the route their ancestors walked before boarding slave ships. They can then retire to their five-star hotel to drink cocktails by the pool.

"This will be an adventurous ride giving you an historical overview of African music. From hologram images, concert footage, a state of the art recording facility, to robotic figures displaying the rhythmic beats from 300 years ago where music began leading up to the biggest African group in the world, The Jackson Five," says literature from the investment group behind the plan, called The Motherland Group (TMG).

Visitors will also be able to pay their respects at the site of a mass grave for those who died before boarding ships across the Atlantic Ocean – then travel a few yards in a buggy to play a round of golf.  They can visit a replica slave ship to see the conditions Africans suffered, before visiting the world's only museum dedicated to the career of the Jackson 5.       

The idea to house the Jackson 5 museum on the sacred site came to Marlon Jackson during a trip to Nigeria.     

"The Jackson Family had been looking for a place to site their memorabilia collection for some time," says Gary Loster, a former mayor of Saginaw, Michigan, and chief executive of The Motherland Group. "We visited the site of the slave port in Badagry and Marlon turned to me and said: 'Let's put it here, this is right.' It's such an emotional place, and I think we all felt that it was the right place to have the Jackson family memorial."
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by becomrich15: 2:18am On Sep 16, 2009
Slave Route project reunites Jacksons with their Badagry root
By Anote Ajeluorou

ACTIVITIES will commence tomorrow, Saturday, August 22, 2009 for the celebration of the 10th anniversary of the 'International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition' in the ancient slave port of Badagry. This year's celebration will assume a distinct dimension as the famous Jackson's family has identified the ancient town, famous for slave trade in the 18th century as their place of ancestral origin.

To this end also, an oracular pronouncement has identified Alaga, a sub-tribe from Egun in Badagry as the home of the Jackson's from the Ajanemusan family (shortened 'Ajanesan'). This was revealed in a world press conference, which the organising committee for the Badagry Folk Festival addressed on Tuesday at the Badagry Local Government Council Secretariat, Ajara, Badagry.

As a result, the late music superstar is now called Michael Jackson Ajanesan in Badagry. According to a traditional priest from the Egun community, the fame that Michael Ajanesan attained in the US had long been foretold by the deity to which the family belonged as Michael Ajanesan was a deity himself. He claimed that it was only a god that could perform the feat that Jackson Ajanesan attained in life, and that he deserved to be given proper traditional rite of passage to join his ancestors peacefully.

And to properly accord their late superstar kinsman the burial rites befitting of a god, his yoko or spirit will be ritually invoked in the form of sand particles taken from his graveside and brought to a shrine or yoho for ritual internment. It is from this yoho that the necessary rites of passage will be performed to lay his spirit to rest among his ancestors from which the Ajanesans, taken into slavery these several years will again be reconnected to their kin.

Giving an account of how this bit of history was reconstructed to trace the Jacksons family back to Badagry, Special Adviser on Tourism at the Badagry Council, Hon. Prince Yomi Ajose gave account of his meeting with Marlon Jackson in Michigan, US, back in 1996. He stated that then it appeared as a haunch to the superstar's elder brother, who said he strongly felt that his ancestry was from Badagry. He was to match his belief with action when he made a dramatic visit to Badagry in 2008.

At that visit, Jackson undertook to visit the infamous slave trade route. On getting to the Point of No Return, Prince Ajose recalled, "Marlon became hysterical beyond words. And at the spot where slaves were buried alive, where no grass or tree has grown ever since, Marlon completely broke down". These manifestations became the first intimations that the Jacksons had their roots from Badagry. But beyond a possible DNA test to finally confirm this assertion, Prince Ajose also stated that with the consent of His Majesty De-Wheno Aholu Menu-Toyi, the Akran of Badagry, the oracle was consulted to resolve the Jacksons ancestral link.

It did; hence the Ajanemusan connection to Alaga at Egun.

The theme for this year's celebration is 'Family Reunion'. For the people of Badagry, this year's remembrance day is significant as it will reunite them with their long lost kinsmen, particularly Michael Jackson Ajanesan, whom Prince Ajose said had personally pledged to visit Badagry after the proposed London show, which did not materialise before he passed away in a heart-attack that is still shrouded in suspicious circumstances.

Now instead of receiving Michael Ajanesan in person to perhaps give further historical significance to the ancient sleepy town, it is only his yoko that will be received. But to Badagry people, such is life. Whether in death or alive, they are treating the event with so much emotional attachment, particularly the reunification with a part of the Diaspora.

The Badagry people are also thrilled that at last the Lagos State Government has finally recognised the historical and tourism significance of the town and was deploying resources to developing them. The long neglected 'Slave Route' will now receive attention and plans are underway towards developing it into an international resort and tourism centre. Work has started at the Marina Beach line. Lekki Beach Resort Limited, a sports and recreation developer has started work to transform it into a world class golf course.

The Jackson Ajanesan family is not left out either in this quest to turn international attention to this otherwise sleepy town with a lot of history behind it. With their Motherland Group Inc, USA, the Jackson Ajanesan family, according to Prince Ajose and Sunday Balogun, who represented the Badagry Local Council chairman, Hon. Husitode Moses Dosu, are partnering with the Lagos State Government to build the Badagry Historical Resort that will also include the Michael Ajanesan Museum, where memorabilia from the late superstar will be kept.

The Badagry Folk Festival will add colour to the commemorative event that is a collaborative work of Badagry Local Government, African Renaissance Foundation and Ijinla Tours. The Badagry Folk Festival will include activities such as Zangbeto festival in Ajido, Vothun festival in Ajara, Water Sports in Gbaji and Royal Carnival procession in Badagry will mark highlights of the celebration.

However, the traditional funeral rites for the late Michael Ajanesan will start on Saturday 22, 2009 starting from 6am. A candle light procession will commence at 9pm of the same day in memory of the slaves, who were forcibly taken away from their homelands to unknown destinations. The following day Sunday 23, a drama presentation Wailing from Badagry will be performed at the Badagry Town Hall from 3pm to end with a lecture on slave trade. The drama is the initiative of African Renaissance Foundation. The celebration will finally climax on Saturday 29, 2009 at the Badagry Grammar School playground with a cultural exhibition, musical performance and book presentation.

A statement from the council chairman read, "This year's celebration christened 'Family Reunuion' is the 10th celebration since 1999 of this programme and it is dedicated to the repose of the spirit and soul of one of Africa's legends Michael Joseph Jackson (Ajanesan), whose ancestors have their roots in Badagry and are spiritually attached to us. A mega tourist resort known as the Badagry Historical Resort will be constructed in Badagry by members of the Jackson's family and some prominent African Americans. We are once again joining countries of the world in celebrating the UNESCO declared International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition (every August 23) with a series of activities including the Badagry Folk Festival".

Prince Ajose lamented the long awaited development of the Slave Route in Badagry into a world heritage site. He stressed that while those in other parts of West African coastlines such as Ghana and Senegal had been developed and were contributing meaningfully to the economies of those countries, the one in Badagry, perhaps the most famous, was yet to enjoy similar status. The result being that the town is as impoverished as was possibly during the slave era. He maintained that the late realisation of the potentials of the Badagry Slave Route, and consequent action being taken to redress it were due to the nation's reliance on oil as the sole foreign exchange earner for the country. He expressed happiness at the late attention the ancient town was enjoying from the international arena, saying that though long overdue, it would finally put Badagry at her rightful historical
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Arnold1(m): 2:21am On Sep 16, 2009
Besides providing an enabling environment for the place to thrive, how should the govt help them out undecided
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by becomrich15: 2:25am On Sep 16, 2009
Fashola should meet them and they show him thier business deal and provide support, like land and others. It is important for fashola to meet them. The jackson have connection , lagos needs.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Arnold1(m): 2:27am On Sep 16, 2009
becomrich,:

Fashola should meet them and they show him thier business deal and provide support, like land and others. It is important for fashola to meet them. The jackson have connection , lagos needs.

I want you to elaborate on what you mean by "and others"
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 2:36am On Sep 16, 2009
To this end also, an oracular pronouncement has identified Alaga, a sub-tribe from Egun in Badagry as the home of the Jackson's from the Ajanemusan family

LIERS,  SO BECAUSE I USED MURITALA MUHAMMED AIRPORT SOME YEARS AGO, I AM NOW A LAGOSIAN ABI? YORUBA WITH THEIR FETISH LIES TODAY IS MICHEAL JACKSON TOMORROW WILL BE OBAMA
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by AloyEmeka6: 2:37am On Sep 16, 2009
Jackson 5 ke, $3.4BN?. Jermaine that wants to make feeding money from his brothers death is giving you this fake hope. Who will raise the money for their foundation when jackson 5 is as dead as Michael their brother?.  Get real.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by becomrich15: 2:45am On Sep 16, 2009
What is lie about that.  it is Obvious see that Micheal jackson most have had a nigeria background or link to nigeria, they way his brothers use to visit nigeria. Even him. Why nigeria, there are many africa countries.

verify guardian.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/friday_review/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=210809&ptitle=Slave%20Route%20project%20reunites%20Jacksons%20with%20their%20Badagry%20root

So you see the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state joining benin republic is so important, it allow them to know thier root. More than 10 million of them have yoruba root. And they want to know so much about it. Having a country apart from the USA where they can carry another passport is important to them.

Even if they do not leave the USA, they want to know where they are from and visit the place and people in thier life time. some may return.

This is where micheal lived.

[img]http://lisawallerrogers.files./2009/04/mj-at-neverland.jpg?w=468&h=321[/img]

[img]http://therichlife.files./2009/04/nl1.jpg[/img]

Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by chic2pimp(m): 3:39am On Sep 16, 2009
becomrich,:

So you see the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state joining benin republic is so important, it allow them to know thier root. More than 10 million of them have yoruba root. And they want to know so much about it. Having a country apart from the USA where they can carry another passport is important to them.

Oh come on now. What does M.J have to do with ya tribalistic poppycocks? undecided

Give a rest,will ya.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 6:22am On Sep 16, 2009
To this end also, an oracular pronouncement has identified Alaga, a sub-tribe from Egun in Badagry as the home of the Jackson's from the Ajanemusan family

mafioso:

LIERS, SO BECAUSE I USED MURITALA MUHAMMED AIRPORT SOME YEARS AGO, I AM NOW A LAGOSIAN ABI? YORUBA WITH THEIR FETISH LIES TODAY IS MICHEAL JACKSON TOMORROW WILL BE OBAMA

now, before you develop running stomach over Jackson matter, why are you abusing Yoruba?

dem swear for your lineage?
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by sjeezy8: 9:40am On Sep 16, 2009
mafioso:

LIERS,  SO BECAUSE I USED MURITALA MUHAMMED AIRPORT SOME YEARS AGO, I AM NOW A LAGOSIAN ABI? YORUBA WITH THEIR FETISH LIES TODAY IS MICHEAL JACKSON TOMORROW WILL BE OBAMA

what lies did Yorubas come lookin for the jacksons?

Many across the world, cuba, brazil, haiti, sierre leone, feel strong connection with yoruba ancestry AND IT IS WIDELY KNOWN FOR BEING THE MOST DOMINANT CULTURE THAT SURVIVED THROUGH SLAVE TRADE.

FYI jackson traced his roots to badagry, the jackson actually wanted reconnect with yoruba culture. Yoruba culture is truly blessed the lost children always come back LOL tongue
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by ikeyman00(m): 9:46am On Sep 16, 2009
tpia

hmmmm hmmm lipsrsealed grin
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by candylips(m): 10:41am On Sep 16, 2009
I think this will be a very good project. It will definitely put lagos on the tourist map
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 16, 2009
ikeyman00:

tpia

hmmmm hmmm lipsrsealed grin

shut up. angry
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by IFELEKE(m): 1:39pm On Sep 16, 2009
mafioso:

LIERS, SO BECAUSE I USED MURITALA MUHAMMED AIRPORT SOME YEARS AGO, I AM NOW A LAGOSIAN ABI? YORUBA WITH THEIR FETISH LIES TODAY IS MICHEAL JACKSON TOMORROW WILL BE OBAMA
It's better to be a silent fool than to publicly affirm it. . .sink that in.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2009
now, before you develop running stomach over Jackson matter, why are you abusing Yoruba?

dem swear for your lineage? Huh

I should be asking you that, idiot cool

It's better to be a silent fool than to publicly affirm it. . .sink that in.
THIS MUST BE GANI ADAMS?
Do you know you just advised yourself? FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 16, 2009
mafioso:

I should be asking you that, idiot cool

am I the one screaming like a demented thing? angry angry
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 11:15pm On Sep 16, 2009
am I the one screaming like a demented thing?

Tpia How was the Party?

Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 17, 2009
mafioso:

Tpia How was the Party?

since you took pictures, why dont you fill us in?

slowpoke.

what an idiot- instead of you to hide your face in shame at being such a jerk, you resort to mudslinging instead.

typical.

na Yoruba matter go wound you.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 12:35am On Sep 17, 2009
Hey why the Insult? i only asked you how was the Party,  cool

i have stoped wasting my precious time arguing with you because Fat Fools like you aint worth it cool

Sorry did you have some Boob Job on ya
Yorubad my Ass
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 17, 2009
mafioso:

Hey why the Insult? i only asked you how was the Party,  cool

i have stoped wasting my precious time arguing with you because Fat Fools like you aint worth it cool

Sorry did you have some Boob Job on ya
Yorubad my Ass

if them born your mama and papa well, face me on this forum.

If you want a reason to insult Yorubas, then I'll give you plenty.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 12:57am On Sep 17, 2009
if them born your mama and papa well, face me on this forum.

If you want a reason to insult Yorubas, then I'll give you plenty.

Am ready for you Fat Bastard, "Get into My belle"
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 17, 2009
mafioso:

Am ready for my fat Bastard mama, "Get into My belle"

na today all the curse wey your ancestors curse you go display for your life.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by udezue(m): 1:18am On Sep 17, 2009
lmao ;d ;d ;d
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by udezue(m): 1:19am On Sep 17, 2009
so how come ppl are hating on Tinapa?
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 1:49am On Sep 17, 2009
na today all the curse wey your ancestors curse you go display for your life.

I can see it already manifesting in your life

Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 17, 2009
mafioso:

I can see it already manifesting in your life

if you like post pictures of your obese mama from now till next month- it wont change your useless life or add to your senseless existence.

Na your ancestors talk am.
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 1:59am On Sep 17, 2009
if you like post pictures of your obese mama from now till next month- it wont change your useless life or add to your senseless existence.

Na your ancestors talk am.

hahahahaha so he don reach wey you go take dey deny urself? , this is typical Yoruba Woman for you "Coward in Nature" cool
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by ezeagu(m): 2:39am On Sep 17, 2009
Na lie, the Jackson's are Ika/Anioma Igbo, just look at their face. wink
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by mafioso(m): 3:27am On Sep 17, 2009
Na lie, the Jackson's are Ika/Anioma Igbo, just look at their face.

Forget Those Idiots, Slaves were only assembled in Lagos they weren't taken from Lagos,
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by AloyEmeka6: 4:01am On Sep 17, 2009
BecomeRich,

Is it true that Sarah Palin's great grand mother is a Yoruba slave from Dahomey? undecided
Re: Singer To Build Jackson Museum At Historic Slave Port.Micheal Jackson Nigerian by Beaf: 4:10am On Sep 17, 2009
mafioso:

Tpia How was the Party?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180838_Tpia_jpg4985c7f9596b9e7af5125b6f08ba48a7

Unu go kill person o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Yorubas Now Controlled Nigerias Economy By Hausa Man / Horus Re: Yorubas Do Not Believe Women Should Be Childless. / Jonathan Intervenes In Mali Political Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.