Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,066 members, 7,953,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:04 PM

Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... (26609 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Buys New Aircraft. Sells Old Ones / Apostle Suleman To Dismiss Members Who Don't Believe In Him, Calls Them Demons / Christians, Why Do You Believe In The Biblical God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by YOUNGELDER1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 25, 2016
Christeety:

00/06
Okay. might know you.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by YOUNGELDER1(m): 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2016
Christeety:

00/06
Okay. might know you.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by YOUNGELDER1(m): 10:40pm On Jul 25, 2016
Christeety:

00/06
Okay. might know you.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Antiparticle(m): 11:49pm On Jul 25, 2016
This your post is full of both correct science and shockingly incorrect pseudoscience.

oglalasioux:

Let me give you a little insight about Schrodinger's equation.
The equation states, correctly, that the subatomic particles that makes up everything can exist in more than one place at the same time. Experiments show this is true. So scientists argue that since subatomic particles are the building blocks of everything, then what they built up can exist in the same way.
This is the only correct paragraph in your whole post.

oglalasioux:
The saliva you spitted out of your mouth is therefore still connected to you in the subatomic state. If it comes into contact with a disease, quantum mechanics prove that disease can affect you.
Classical mechanics and hence biology can be used to explain the germ theory of disease. Your attempt to use quantum mechanics here is redundant, unnecessary, and disingenuous.

oglalasioux:
Also consider telepathy. When you hear a little voice it means someone far away is talking behind your back. This also is true. How does your GSM work? Or let us use a simple wireless microphone as an instance.

Our voices (and thoughts) radiate and flow into the atmosphere at 670 million miles per hour. So when you speak, it takes a second for your voice to reach as far as the moon and it continues to travel forever in all directions of the universe. The path the voice follows is electromagnetic waves. So if I have a magnet, it can attract your voice in real time and you can hear it loud through amplifiers. That's how microphones work and interestingly your GSM.

When you make a phone call to someone in USA, it's not the phone that took your voice there. Your voice is already radiating through the universe. The phone simply sifts the voice out of trillion others because you and the person you are talking to are on the same frequency.
This post is full of both science and pseudoscience. It is indeed true that when you make an international phone call your voice is converted into electrical signals which propagate at the speed of light (typically via cell phone towers and then deep sea fiber optic cables in most cases).

However, it is completely UNTRUE that telepathy works because of this same principle; this is absolutely INCORRECT pseudoscience. You imply that telepathy works because one's voice directly propagates to the listener even if the two parties are a continent apart; this makes ZERO sense because an acoustic signal (voice) propagating through air would lose all its energy within a short distance. If I shouted your name in Nigeria and you live in America, there's NO WAY for you to know that I am calling your name because the signal would have lost ALL its energy before it even propagates one mile from you, let alone the 8,500 kilometer distance between Lagos and New York.

The "signal to noise ratio" of the acoustic energy arriving in New York from Lagos would be undetectable because it would be overwhelmed by the acoustic noise floor. Another thing is that the acoustic energy of your voice will travel at about 768 miles per hour and NOT the speed of light, which is opposite to your strange assertion that the acoustic signals from your voice would also travel at the speed of light (670 million miles per hour).

One more thing: the claim that telepathy ever works is itself búllshit. What people claim to be telepathy is merely the ability of one or two parties to be able to read and identify shared environmental or psychological cues, not via some sixth sense that violates the laws of physics. The prophets who supposedly read your mind are psychological experts who can already identify some basic information about you based on what you tell them, the way you dress, your facial expressions, and so forth. The idea that true telepathy is real is a farce.

oglalasioux:
...And shockingly, it's what our brains pick when we sleep which we know as dreams. People we call prophets and miracle workers just have the privilege of higher brain frequencies. When Einstein died, it was discovered that his brain was different. It's still in a jar at Princeton University.
Oh my goodness. This paragraph is COMPLETE PSEUDOSCIENTIFIC BÚLLSHIT. There is no evidence whatsoever that we dream because our brains pick up electromagnetic signals from the environment. A very trivial experiment that disproves this is to place someone in a very thick wireless-interference-free metal box for ten nights, it is very likely that the person will still dream at least one of the nights! (I propose a thick metal box because it would block off electromagnetic waves that are used for wireless communications).

oglalasioux:
Without messing with your belief, I must tell you that 90% of what religion do which we term miracles is actually solid science. The white people know but they won't just blow it up yet and expose religion because the existence of the state of Israel hinges on the belief that a being somewhere is controlling the universe. The contrary is the truth.
I am very shocked at the boldness of your misinformation. This is completely wrong. If "miracles" were indeed solid science, why is Nigeria still pathetically lagging in the fruits of science and technology?

Your post is extremely misleading and plain inaccurate as well as disingenuous. I would advise you to in the future not make bold & confident assertions on topics that you have very little to zero expertise in.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Antiparticle(m): 12:15am On Jul 26, 2016
I do agree that his post sounds educative because it is presented in a fancy way. However, the post is disingenuous, misleading, and mostly inaccurate.
aimuan:
the most educative post I ve ever read on nairaland.I love this post and the poster.no homo
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by aimuan(m): 5:32am On Jul 26, 2016
Antiparticle:
I do agree that his post sounds educative because it is presented in a fancy way. However, the post is disingenuous, misleading, and mostly inaccurate.
.can u proof it?u don't just discredit someone's job just like that.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by raphieMontella: 8:16am On Jul 26, 2016
aimuan:
.can u proof it?u don't just discredit someone's job just like that.
scroll up..he jst did
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Thebrightest(m): 12:24pm On Jul 26, 2016
Antiparticle:
This your post is full of both correct science and shockingly incorrect pseudoscience.

Classical mechanics and hence biology can be used to explain the germ theory of disease. Your attempt to use quantum mechanics here is redundant, unnecessary, and disingenuous.

This post is full of both science and pseudoscience. It is indeed true that when you make an international phone call your voice is converted into electrical signals which propagate at the speed of light (typically via cell phone towers and then deep sea fiber optic cables in most cases).

However, it is completely UNTRUE that telepathy works because of this same principle; this is absolutely INCORRECT pseudoscience. You imply that telepathy works because one's voice directly propagates to the listener even if the two parties are a continent apart; this makes ZERO sense because an acoustic signal (voice) propagating through air would lose all its energy within a short distance. If I shouted your name in Nigeria and you live in America, there's NO WAY for you to know that I am calling your name because the signal would have lost ALL its energy before it even propagates one mile from you, let alone the 8,500 kilometer distance between Lagos and New York.

The "signal to noise ratio" of the acoustic energy arriving in New York from Lagos would be undetectable because it would be overwhelmed by the acoustic noise floor. Another thing is that the acoustic energy of your voice will travel at about 768 miles per hour and NOT the speed of light, which is opposite to your strange assertion that the acoustic signals from your voice would also travel at the speed of light (670 million miles per hour).

One more thing: the claim that telepathy ever works is itself búllshit. What people claim to be telepathy is merely the ability of one or two parties to be able to read and identify shared environmental or psychological cues, not via some sixth sense that violates the laws of physics. The prophets who supposedly read your mind are psychological experts who can already identify some basic information about you based on what you tell them, the way you dress, your facial expressions, and so forth. The idea that true telepathy is real is a farce.

Oh my goodness. This paragraph is COMPLETE PSEUDOSCIENTIFIC BÚLLSHIT. There is no evidence whatsoever that we dream because our brains pick up electromagnetic signals from the environment. A very trivial experiment that disproves this is to place someone in a very thick wireless-interference-free metal box for ten nights, it is very likely that the person will still dream at least one of the nights! (I propose a thick metal box because it would block off electromagnetic waves that are used for wireless communications).

I am very shocked at the boldness of your misinformation. This is completely wrong. If "miracles" were indeed solid science, why is Nigeria still pathetically lagging in the fruits of science and technology?

Your post is extremely misleading and plain inaccurate as well as disingenuous. I would advise you to in the future not make bold & confident assertions on topics that you have very little to zero expertise in.
THIS IS THE MOST REASONABLE POST ON THIS THREAD.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by donnffd(m): 3:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
Antiparticle:

I scanned through this thread looking for a post like this just to save me the stress and time typing all this many many corrections, and the painful part of the whole matter was that people were praising him as one kind intelligent person...kia, NO HOPE FOR NIGERIANS AT ALL
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Antiparticle(m): 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
I too was hoping that I wouldn't have to type up a rebuttal to the uninformed post but alas I had to type one because I didn't want other readers to keep praising the nonsense that the guy (girl?) posted.

It is indeed disheartening that some other posters think his post is intelligent even though it is instead full of misinformation that a mildly science-literate person can spot.
donnffd:
I scanned through this thread looking for a post like this just to save me the stress and time typing all this many many corrections, and the painful part of the whole matter was that people were praising him as one kind intelligent person...kia, NO HOPE FOR NIGERIANS AT ALL
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by oglalasioux(m): 8:18pm On Jul 26, 2016
Antiparticle:

Thanks for your response. It shows you read my post thoroughly. I also read yours and there is nothing in it that is untrue.

But do you believe in entanglement of subatomic particles? Why do you think native doctors need a piece of cloth of someone before they can charm him?

I don't claim evidence of any of my assertions therefore my idea can't be science. But I'll tell you one thing; the reasons the African gods cannot die yet were helpless in defending us against diseases and the white man is because they are nothing but manipulations of the laws of physics.

My idea can never hold water in academics. But if you search your heart of hearts, away from trying to make me look uneducated, you'll find it dwelt on some fundamental things that have been bugging your mind since you realized you were a citizen of the universe.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Antiparticle(m): 11:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
oglalasioux:

Thanks for your response. It shows you read my post thoroughly. I also read yours and there is nothing in it that is untrue.
First off, thanks for not responding angrily... it seems angry responses are the default tone on NL when there is disagreement. Kudos.

oglalasioux:
But do you believe in entanglement of subatomic particles? Why do you think native doctors need a piece of cloth of someone before they can charm him?
Yes subatomic particles behave in ways that make no intuitive sense, and entanglement is an example. I don't even have to believe in it for it to be true, it is a measured confirmed phenomenon. BUT this property is a quantum phenomenon (i.e. it only happens to particles that are subatomic) NOT classical-sized objects. Therefore it cannot be applied to anything native doctors do.

To give you some perspective, the radius of a Hydrogen atom (known as the Bohr radius) is 5 x 10^(-11) meters; that's two million times smaller than the width of one strand of human hair. Quantum particles are even much smaller in size than this. Quantum phenomena like tunneling or entanglement or "spooky action at a distance" don't work for objects that the nakéd eye can see directly.

oglalasioux:
I don't claim evidence of any of my assertions therefore my idea can't be science. But I'll tell you one thing; the reasons the African gods cannot die yet were helpless in defending us against diseases and the white man is because they are nothing but manipulations of the laws of physics.
This is quite a creative paragraph. It is incorrect that African gods are manipulations of the laws of physics. Religious people would consider them to be supernatural, although it is clear that these gods are powerless because they are not real and are just a figment of the human imagination.

oglalasioux:
My idea can never hold water in academics. But if you search your heart of hearts, away from trying to make me look uneducated, you'll find it dwelt on some fundamental things that have been bugging your mind since you realized you were a citizen of the universe.
Well, the idea that supernatural acts happened used to bug me especially because they supposedly violate physical laws. Now I have mental clarity and know that these supernatural claims are untrue. Most of what is claimed to be supernatural have simpler physical explanations.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Toyolad(m): 10:01am On Jul 27, 2016
oglalasioux:

They sometimes need not get the piece of cloth of the person...they most times use pictures(that the person might not even have seen b4) and sometime carve a small statue of the person(which the person had never been in contact with).. What about the long incantations before their voodoo becomes effective?.. seems like you're just mentioning this cloth example to explain your pseudoscientific superstitions.

Anyway, thanks to Antiparticle for debunking most of your bold assertions that are either untrue or hold no water but are mere speculations. And thanks to
you for humbly agreeing that all he said are not untrue, thereby shooting yourself in the leg.

Your "idea can NEVER hold water in the academic world" but you painted it on the front page like its purely and proven scientific assertions(academics)
and even stated it clearly there. Lol
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
freecocoa:
Got no superstitious bone in me, even before kicking religion to the curb.
I get the feeling you have a religious bone in there somewhere.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by freecocoa(f): 5:36am On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
I get the feeling you have a religious bone in there somewhere.
Nobody cares what you feel.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
Nobody cares what you feel.
Do not waver. You are in good company.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity."
...There is no second coming.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by freecocoa(f): 10:36am On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
Do not waver. You are in good company.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity."
...There is no second coming.
Stop talking to me biko, mschew.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
my dear freecocoa leave the bobo no mind am na rubbish e dey talk
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
Sorry.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by freecocoa(f): 8:15pm On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
Sorry.
Better.
Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Weah96: 7:28am On Jul 30, 2016
oglalasioux:

My idea can never hold water in academics.

Don't be so sure. Ever heard of psychedelic drugs? It's not your fault that the government banned these substances before any further information could be revealed to the public.

http://deoxy.org/h_leary.htm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/news/mind_brain/psychedelic_drugs/

There is a way to set up a scientific experiment. Unfortunately, few governments and universities would dare sanction it. We can manipulate these particles during altered states of consciousness.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions? Like These Ones... by Zodiac61(m): 7:06am On Aug 05, 2016
oglalasioux:

Let me give you a little insight about Schrodinger's equation.

The equation states, correctly, that the subatomic particles that makes up everything can exist in more than one place at the same time. Experiments show this is true. So scientists argue that since subatomic particles are the building blocks of everything, then what they built up can exist in the same way.

The saliva you spitted out of your mouth is therefore still connected to you in the subatomic state. If it comes into contact with a disease, quantum mechanics prove that disease can affect you.

Also consider telepathy. When you hear a little voice it means someone far away is talking behind your back. This also is true. How does your GSM work? Or let us use a simple wireless microphone as an instance.

Our voices (and thoughts) radiate and flow into the atmosphere at 670 million miles per hour. So when you speak, it takes a second for your voice to reach as far as the moon and it continues to travel forever in all directions of the universe. The path the voice follows is electromagnetic waves. So if I have a magnet, it can attract your voice in real time and you can hear it loud through amplifiers. That's how microphones work and interestingly your GSM.

When you make a phone call to someone in USA, it's not the phone that took your voice there. Your voice is already radiating through the universe. The phone simply sifts the voice out of trillion others because you and the person you are talking to are on the same frequency.

I took time to explain this to you because that's how television works too. And shockingly, it's what our brains pick when we sleep which we know as dreams. People we call prophets and miracle workers just have the privilege of higher brain frequencies. When Einstein died, it was discovered that his brain was different. It's still in a jar at Princeton University.

Without messing with your belief, I must tell you that 90% of what religion do which we term miracles is actually solid science. The white people know but they won't just blow it up yet and expose religion because the existence of the state of Israel hinges on the belief that a being somewhere is controlling the universe. The contrary is the truth.

What utter rubbish. This is nothing more than word salad - meaningless drivel.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Liberian Pastor Polishes His Wife's Nails (Photos) / Chris Oyakhilome's Mother And Benny Hinn On The Altar (Photos, Video) / Money Orisha ~ Money Charm ~ Money Spells

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.