Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,132 members, 7,845,758 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Nobody Benefited From Lagos Shares In Econet - Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Benefited From Lagos Shares In Econet - Tinubu (690 Views)

Fayose Benefited From Arms Cash:apc / Some Of The Unforgetable Things That Kogi State Benefited From Late Prince Audu / What I Benefited From Jonathan – Pastor Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Benefited From Lagos Shares In Econet - Tinubu by Nigerd(m): 8:18am On Sep 18, 2009
Nobody benefited from Lagos shares in Econet - Tinubu

THE former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Tinubu, has again insisted that the state investment in Econet (now Zain), currrently a subject of controversy in the media, was a straightforward institutional investment, which earned the state a profit of more than N15 billion and from which no individual benefited.

Reacting to allegations that there might have been some illicit payout, now a subject of British Metropolitan Police investigation, Tinubu said the claim was not true.

He said the transaction was made by IBILE Holdings, a government-owned investment company, and that no broker was involved in the transaction. He added that the state, through IBILE, invested N4 billion, but reaped more than N19 billion when it divested.

“I must , stress that when Lagos State sold its shares, it hired no broker, agent, or intermediary of any kind – just as it did not hire any agent when it bought the Econet shares,” he declared in a paid advert in major national dailies.

“So, the allegation that a broker called African Development Fund Inc. (ADFI) was ever used, by the Lagos State government is false. The state did not pay any commission to anybody, from whatever profit it earned from the investment.”

The former governor, however, challenged anyone who had contrary facts on that matter to come forward with them, and also called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to carry out a speedy but thorough probe into the matter.

“I challenge anyone who claims any commission was paid, received or laundered to come forward with proof. I also call on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to carry out a speedy but thorough investigation into the matter, since some of us have families, relations and well-wishers; and these allegations are rather traumatic to them,” he said

(1) (Reply)

Will Yar Adua Declare His Own Independence? / Rich Country, Poor People, Visionless Leaders–tmg Boss By Razaq Bamidele / Australia To Say Sorry To Abused British Child Migrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.