Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists (9335 Views)

Analysing Dasuki's Statements On Weapons Scam / Analysing Adebayo Shittu, The Speculated Minister From Oyo State. / Analysing The DSS "Incriminating Evidence" Against Sambo Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2009
One of the things that make my day is to pick a newspaper and see a fine analysis, a fine write-up; whether I agree with the writer or not may be another thing though. But serve me with an incisive analysis and I will give you my food.

At a time, few years ago, when Punch was my favourite Nigerian newspaper, I followed the columns of Wale Adedayo(now Media Asst to Ogun governor, I think), Casmir Igbokwe(MUSINGS), Azubuike Ishiekwene(AZU), Tunde Fagbenle, and my favourite then, Yomi Odunuga(KNUCKLES, now with The Nation). Then, Tribune had Festus Adedayo(later became Media Asst to former Enugu Governor); Wale Okediran(or was he with Punch?)Lasisi Olagunju(now Media Asst to Gov Oyinlola of Osun state); the old horse, Ebenezer Babatope and a host of other columnists.
Other columnists I followed then were Kola Animashaun(VOICE OF REASON, Vanguard), Doyin Abiola(Sunday Punch), Jonathan Power(that oyinbo man that writes for Sunday Punch). Gani himself also briefly wrote for Punch(or was it Tribune?). Ditto for Festus Keyamo.

Now, or at least before the Abuja land-gate, Reuben Abati(Guardian)seems to be many Nigerians favourite columnists. Other notable columnists with Guardian are Edwin Madunagu, that rabid marxist, Levi Obijiofor and one columnist whose surname I can't spell but his first name is Luke. They are all fine writers with good grasp of history.

Today, Thisday appears to be leading the pack in column journalism, with those hard-to-ignore analyses on its backpages and with wordsmiths like Simon Kolawole(LIVE), Yusuf Olaniyonu(The Polity), Ijeoma Nwagwugwu(Facts Behind the Figures), Dele Momodu(PENdulum, let's forget about our differences), Segun Adeniyi(before becoming Media Asst to President Yar'adua),Chidi Amuta,Bisi Ojediran(Tolling Bells) and others.

One of the things I brought home from my NYSC year in Sokoto was addiction to Daily Trust and The Sun. When I couldn't lay my hands on Punch, my favourite pre-NYSC, again, I had to switch to Daily Trust and Sun, the two major papers that can be found in Sokoto, and most core northern states, on daily basis. This saw me getting used to writings of Daily Trust columnists like Muhammad Haruna(ex-Media Assistant to Head of State Abubakar Abdus-Salam), Mahmud Jega, Garba Deen Mohammed, Adamu Adamu, Kabir Mato, Bala Muhammad, Is'haq Modibbo Kawu, and  Muhammad Al-Ghazali (Ghazalism).

The Sun has good columnists in Olu Obafemi(Reflections), Dimgba Igwe(Side view), Femi Adesina (Kulikuli), Steve Nwosu (Frank Talk), Amanze Obi (Broken Thoughts), Lindsay Barret(From other side), Shola Osunkeye (Random Notes- former CNN African journalist of the year) and others like veteran journalist and IBB's former Press Secretary, Duro Onabule(Today); Funke Egbemode(I think she was formerly with Independent) etc.

Also mentionworthy are Segun Gbadegesin(Vanguard, or is it the Nation he writes in?), Mobolaji Sanusi(Vanguard), Olatunji Dare (The Nation), Joseph Adeyeye(Punch-this guy once quoted Nairaland) and other journalists and writers that feed us with analyses week in, week out.

MY TOP TEN NIGERIAN COLUMNISTS

1, SIMON KOLAWOLE [THISDAY]
Although he once uttered a statement that drew my ire, but I give it to him as Nigeria's most unbiased, incisive columnist today. My weekend is not complete without grabbing Thisday to see what Simon has for me.

2, AZUBUIKE ISHIEKWENE [PUNCH]
It's a pity I hardly read Punch these days and I have not been following Azu's writings again. But what I have read from his column when punch was my favourite, plus the few articles of his I still come across by chance, he is a great analyst with sharp pen and unbiased mind.

3, MAHMUD JEGA[DAILY TRUST]
This guy stunned me with his writings and one of the few people that demystified my uninformed perception of Hausa/Fulani folks as intellectual laggards(I'm embarrassed I ever held that stupid thought). Combining word artistry with breathtaking analysis, he is one of the reasons I still open Daily Trust website everyday.

4, IJEOMA NWAGWUGWU[THISDAY]
While others write more on the political side of our national life, Ijeoma writes on teh economic side more often. Another Thisday columnist I hardly miss. Although we hold extremely opposite opinion on the Sanusi debate but I give it to her, she is a good analyst.

5, REUBEN ABATI[GUARDIAN]
Reuben is perhaps the most popular columnist in Nigeria today. I'm not much of his fan as he is too radical for my liking, but you can't just ignore his writings. The Abuja land-gate further soils his name, but there is no disputing the fact that Reuben is a very sound analyst. His creativity with words is another endearing asset of his.

6, CASMIR IGBOKWE [PUNCH]
Oh, I'm missing my Punch friends! Casmir's analyses are another unputdownable pieces. There was a time he was writing his column from Cardiff when he was undergoing a course there and his column was retitled 'MUSINGS FROM CARDIFF'. I remember teh piece he did on one popluar Cardiff professor taht rides bicycle to office. I hardly follow him on weekly basis again, but if he's still the Casmir I read till a couple of years ago, he will still makes my favourite list.

7, YOMI ODUNUGA [formerly PUNCH, now DAILY INDEPENDENT]
When Punch was my favourite, Yomi was another columnist that made my weekends with his column, KNUCKLES. Very incisive and analytical. He has now crossed over to The Nation (or is Daily Independent?), where he continues his KNUCKLES column, and I still see his writings but they don't appeal to me again, maybe because of teh quality of the printing of Daily Independent.

8, MUHAMMAD HARUNA, [THE NATION and DAILY TRUST]
I got to know Haruna late, just two years ago, but I have known much about him, especially from the war of opinions/history he and Dare Olatunji(another senior journalist and 'The Nation' columnist) fought late last year. He is another columnist I follow around. He is perhaps the most veteran print journalist from the North(He's from Niger state). I like his diction and grasp of history. I also like his independent-mindedness. He writes what he feels is correct, even if he is the only Nigerian holding that opinion. Sanusi, the current CBN governor, doesn't agree with him on most issues and, like Simon Kolawole, Sanusi had picked holes in their writings in the past. His minus is being close to IBB and maybe Buhari.

9. IS'HAQ MODIBBO KAWU, DAILY TRUST
This Ilorin guy is another columnist whose column I hardly miss. Another fine writer.

10. JOSEPH ADEYEYE, PUNCH
A new generation columnist with Punch. When I used to 'eat and drink' Punch, he wasn't a columnist with them then. I first knew him when he quoted the nairaland topic UGLY BRITAIN in his column sometime last year. Since then, I follow his writings. A fine analyst and tries to be as objective as possible.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by pcicero(m): 6:12pm On Sep 18, 2009
A job well done. I agree with most of your submissions. However, i would not place Simon Kolawole as number One. I think his closeness to Segun Adeniyi has an effect on some of his write ups. I hold the same opinion of him but i think he gets too carried away and whips up unnecessary sentiments sometimes (i.e ThisDay on Sunday 13-09-2009 "Do Yorubas hate Arik?"wink, just like Abati. They are both intelligent and have sound knowledge of countemporary issues but they tend to pontificate more often than necessary. I am a fan of ThisDay because of Simon anyway.

Luke Onyekayekah always sounds too technical. He writes mostly on UN MGDPs i.e affordable water, global warming etc. Edwin Madunagu is quintessential, a friend of none and higly independent minded but glorifies the ruthless Leninists at times. He possesses an unrivalled dialetical ability, and not given to trivialities. Another Guardian writer, Banji Adisa should have made your list. He is also interesting.

Azu Punch is still powerful but i think his designation takes most of his time now. Casmir too is very good, doesn't mince words. Joseph Adeyeye is budding and very interesting. He doesn't assume too much. Yomi Odunuga was just writing Abuja notes then i think.

The Duro Onabules, Dimgba Igwe, Mike Awoyinfa, Femi Adeshina are sometimes limited by their employers, i suppose.

Dele Momodu with all due respect because as an Undergraduate then at Ife, he was our role model. But now, i think what he does most times is to write about the countries he has visited, the cuisines he had been priviledged to consume etc. I also think his Ovation Magazine helps promote the get-rich quick syndrome, a precursor to corruption , drug trafficking, money laundering etc. in Nigeria.

Ijeoma This Day is very didatic, well groomed and comfortable with figures. She would not do bad as another Okonjo Iweala.

Mohammed Haruna is truly intelligent but with the likes of Jega, you would think Daily Trust was founded just to antagonize OBJ just like Tinubu's The Nation can't be taken too serious, some of the writers are sectional and lopsided in their thinking.

I know Prof. GbadegesinThe Nation, he is my namesake, a former lecturer at OAU. His junior brother was my lecturer too. He's an Harvard Professor of African Studies. But you can't help noticing the Afenifere agenda and anti-PDP sentiments in his write-ups.

I have tried, what would you say about me?
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 3:40pm On Sep 20, 2009
I have tried, what would you say about me?
Very excellent analysis there, pcicero! I always feel at home discussing with like-analytical-minds.

I agree with most of your submissions. However, i would not place Simon Kolawole as number One. I think his closeness to Segun Adeniyi has an effect on some of his write ups. I hold the same opinion of him but i think he gets too carried away and whips up unnecessary sentiments sometimes (i.e ThisDay on Sunday 13-09-2009 "Do Yorubas hate Arik?"wink, just like Abati. They are both intelligent and have sound knowledge of countemporary issues but they tend to pontificate more often than necessary. I am a fan of ThisDay because of Simon anyway.
What I actually admire about Simon is his simple and straight forward analysis. Add sense of humour and detribalized nature to that and you will have a quintessential Simon Kolawole. He is still a junior columnist compared to veterans like Duro Onabule, Edwin Madunagu, Reuben Abati, Haruna Mohammed, Kola Animashaun but his analyses of issues are usually thought provoking. In fairness to him, I don't think his closeness to Segun Adeniyi has deterred him from baring his mind on the Yar'adua administration.

Luke Onyekayekah always sounds too technical. He writes mostly on UN MGDPs i.e affordable water, global warming etc. Edwin Madunagu is quintessential, a friend of none and higly independent minded but glorifies the ruthless Leninists at times. He possesses an unrivalled dialetical ability, and not given to trivialities. Another Guardian writer, Banji Adisa should have made your list. He is also interesting.
Yes, Luke Onyekayekah was the guy I tried recalling his surname in my first analysis. He is too technical. You are very observant. You also spoke my mind in all the qualities of Edwin Madunagu you mentioned from not discussing trivialities to his leninist bend. I hardly read both of them because the issues they discuss hardly interest me. Most times, I just glance through first and last paragraphs of their columns, but I think I read Edwin more. I read Banji Adisa too but can't decipher his mind. But like other Guardian columnists, he also sounds too serious and technical and sometimes boring.

Azu Punch is still powerful but i think his designation takes most of his time now. Casmir too is very good,  doesn't mince words. Joseph Adeyeye is budding and very interesting. He doesn't assume too much. Yomi Odunuga was just writing Abuja notes then i think.
I reason with you, Azu's 'dip in form' may not be unconnected to his recent elevation that sees him running all the Punch titles. I believe he's just struggling with time to write now. His piece in 2006 after the series of air mishaps, titled BLOOD IN THE SKIES and another masterpiece titled DARE TO TAKE ON YOUR LEGISLATOR, written sometime around 2006 too, remain the best I have read from him. The guy is too much.
Joseph Adeyeye is still upcoming let's wait and see whether he will stand teh test of time. He comes to NL, I know.
You're spot on on Casmir too.

The Duro Onabules, Dimgba Igwe, Mike Awoyinfa, Femi Adeshina are sometimes limited by their employers, I suppose.
I agree with you. These guys just have to do the bidding of Kalu or at least the editor will 'edit' their writings.

Dele Momodu with all due respect because as an Undergraduate then at Ife, he was our role model. But now, i think what he does most times is to write about the countries he has visited, the cuisines he had been priviledged to consume etc. I also think his Ovation Magazine helps promote the get-rich quick syndrome, a precursor to corruption , drug trafficking, money laundering etc. in Nigeria.
Good to know you are also a 'Great Ife'. I was a core Awoite and the most consistent columnist with 'Economic Insight', the Press outfit  of my department from 2003-2006. Dele is also Great Ife. I share same opinion with you on him.
Which set were you in Ife?

Mohammed Haruna is truly intelligent but with the likes of Jega, you would think Daily Trust was founded just to antagonize OBJ just like Tinubu's The Nation can't be taken too serious, some of the writers are sectional and lopsided in their thinking.
Much as the paper is struggling to be truly national, Daily Trust truly appears to be a Northern newspaper but Its reportage of Abuja news is the best. It is the paper that keeps me updated about what si happening in Abuja. I also have a 'crush' for Sokoto since I served there a couple of years ago, and DT serves me news from my third home(Kwara is my first home, Lagos second and Sokoto third).
Jega is very brilliant and good with words. Haruna is also a wordsmith, but more senior and experienced, having been in the business of journalism for about three decades. I don't however think Jega is that lopsided. It is Haruna that fits that description more. Haruna is an unrepentant defender of the north. There was a time he and Dare Olatunji exchanged diatribes over June 12 issues in their respective columns. It was an interesting challenge and I followed their war of columns for weeks then.

I know Prof. GbadegesinThe Nation, he is my namesake, a former lecturer at OAU. His junior brother was my lecturer too. He's an Harvard Professor of African Studies. But you can't help noticing the Afenifere agenda and anti-PDP sentiments in his write-ups.
So Gbadegesin was a former Ife lecturer. Good to know that.

Finally, if you can't list your top 10, who will you give the prize to as Nigeria's best columnist in your opinion?
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by pcicero(m): 12:08am On Sep 21, 2009
Jarus:

Very excellent analysis there, pcicero! I always feel at home discussing with like-analytical-minds.

Thank you, I'm flattered.

What I actually admire about Simon is his simple and straight forward analysis. Add sense of humour and detribalized nature to that and you will have a quintessential Simon Kolawole. He is still a junior columnist compared to veterans like Duro Onabule, Edwin Madunagu, Reuben Abati, Haruna Mohammed, Kola Animashaun but his analyses of issues are usually thought provoking. In fairness to him, I don't think his closeness to Segun Adeniyi has deterred him from baring his mind on the Yar'adua administration.

Well said.

Yes, Luke Onyekayekah was the guy I tried recalling his surname in my first analysis. He is too technical. You are very observant. You also spoke my mind in all the qualities of Edwin Madunagu you mentioned from not discussing trivialities to his leninist bend. I hardly read both of them because the issues they discuss hardly interest me. Most times, I just glance through first and last paragraphs of their columns, but I think I read Edwin more. I read Banji Adisa too but can't decipher his mind. But like other Guardian columnists, he also sounds too serious and technical and sometimes boring.

I think Luke Onyekakeyah is good for research stuffs.

I reason with you, Azu's 'dip in form' may not be unconnected to his recent elevation that sees him running all the Punch titles. I believe he's just struggling with time to write now. His piece in 2006 after the series of air mishaps, titled BLOOD IN THE SKIES and another masterpiece titled DARE TO TAKE ON YOUR LEGISLATOR, written sometime around 2006 too, remain the best I have read from him. The guy is too much.
Joseph Adeyeye is still upcoming let's wait and see whether he will stand teh test of time. He comes to NL, I know.
You're spot on on Casmir too.

I love them so much.

I agree with you. These guys just have to do the bidding of Kalu or at least the editor will 'edit' their writings.
Good to know you are also a 'Great Ife'. I was a core Awoite and the most consistent columnist with 'Economic Insight', the Press outfit of my department from 2003-2006. Dele is also Great Ife. I share same opinion with you on him.
Which set were you in Ife?

I left Ife in 2002. I was in SRC (Arts Constituency) and Transport Committee of the Student Union. I stayed in Awo Hall (Block 5,6 and7) all through. Was a close friend of Burkina. I wrote briefly for Voice of Awoites when one of my classmates was the Hall Secretary (2001-2002).

Much as the paper is struggling to be truly national, Daily Trust truly appears to be a Northern newspaper but Its reportage of Abuja news is the best. It is the paper that keeps me updated about what si happening in Abuja. I also have a 'crush' for Sokoto since I served there a couple of years ago, and DT serves me news from my third home(Kwara is my first home, Lagos second and Sokoto third).
Jega is very brilliant and good with words. Haruna is also a wordsmith, but more senior and experienced, having been in the business of journalism for about three decades. I don't however think Jega is that lopsided. It is Haruna that fits that description more. Haruna is an unrepentant defender of the north. There was a time he and Dare Olatunji exchanged diatribes over June 12 issues in their respective columns. It was an interesting challenge and I followed their war of columns for weeks then.

They are there to give the "Lagos/ Ibadan" press are good run for their money. They always think that the likes of Punch, Guardian, ThisDay are bent towards the South. Had no choice than to read it while serving in Taraba.

So Gbadegesin was a former Ife lecturer. Good to know that.

Yes, he was in Philosophy with the likes of Dr Fashina, Moses Oke and co.

Finally, if you can't list your top 10, who will you give the prize to as Nigeria's best columnist in your opinion?

Still compiling grin grin grin
Cheers

Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 10:09am On Sep 21, 2009
Oga, still waiting for your compilation o grin
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by mbulela: 11:20am On Apr 16, 2010
jarus, Jarus!!
You and this your list.i suprise say you no put Segun Adeniyi grin

1. Ijeoma Nwaogugu - was my number one until she refused to apologise for her arrogance that was evident in a write up during the recent bank saga.
In spite of her refusal to apologise and my public stance not to read her again, i still hide my tails behind my legs and peep at her article.She is that good.

The list don finish.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 16, 2010
mbulela:

jarus, Jarus!!
You and this your list.i suprise say you no put Segun Adeniyi grin

1. Ijeoma Nwaogugu - was my number one until she refused to apologise for her arrogance that was evident in a write up during the recent bank saga.
In spite of her refusal to apologise and my public stance not to read her again, i still hide my tails behind my legs and peep at her article.She is that good.

The list don finish.

Ijeoma Nwogwugwu is highly cerebral, one of the best out there. But I can't help suspecting that all those guys at ThisDay have been sucked into Obaigbena's shady interactions with Abuja.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by mbulela: 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
i feel you.
i feel Nduka acts like a mafia boss.if you fall out of line, they have enough evidence to nail you.
I wonder what men like KK (kayode komolafe) who keep spewing socialist crap all over the place are doing in such a place with such a man?
The day i saw KK attending Thisday concert in USA, i just bow.
One day, the story of Nduka Obiagbena would be told.
And optimists like Jarus will open their mouths ajar in surprise.
me i no go dey surprised at all.
na naija men!!!
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Afam(m): 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2010
Deleted.

Meant for another post, don't know how it got here.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 16, 2010
I use to Love Simon Kolawole, would always stop on my way from church to buy thisday sunday even though i could read it online, felt i owed him that much. But Since this YarAdua Saga, He is neither here no there, his indept analysis is missing, he gives some shallow and Apologistic arguements. I have writeen to him to air my views
One columnist I am growing to respect is Funke Ebga-------, cant get the full and correct spelling, she writes for Sun, saturdays and sundays, sunday politics, saturday family, she strikes the right cord and she a smart
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2010
aisha2:

I use to Love Simon Kolawole, would always stop on my way from church to buy thisday sunday even though i could read it online, felt i owed him that much. But Since this YarAdua Saga, He is neither here no there, his indept analysis is missing, he gives some shallow and Apologistic arguements. I have writeen to him to air my views
One columnist I am growing to respect is Funke Ebga-------, cant get the full and correct spelling, she writes for Sun, saturdays and sundays, sunday politics, saturday family, she strikes the right cord and she a smart
Funke Egbemode
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by mbulela: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
aisha2:

she comes across as a street wise lady.
very smart and can be witty.
she used to edit Independent and i think before that she was at Punch (Jarus, correct me if i am wrong on that last bit).
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2010
Jarus:

Funke Egbemode
Thanks Dear
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by AjanleKoko: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2010
Well, I only read BusinessDay, and no other newspaper. I think it's the best business paper out there. Stopped reading all those political newspapers a long time ago.
Although BD 'falls' my hand occasionally with some silly stories like 'And The Ministers Laughed', front page material o! shocked about how all the ministers were laughing when they should be working. That kind of nonsense belongs only in City People!

Anyway my best columnists in BD are Ogho Okiti, Prof. Ok. Jemie, and JK Randle. I like the 'old money' quality of Randle. Those men don't pour out the usual Nigerian vituperations, they write good prose, and entertain you with their experience and humour.
There's also an old interview series running, of Chinweizu. As you may have guessed. I am strongly anti-imperialist, and pro-Black.
Then of course I read the FT syndications.

I think most of those guys you mention suck. Azu right now has some issues with a former subordinate, Simon Kolawole just plays to the gallery, Reuben Abati is irrelevant, and Casmir is just whipping up sentiments, not really producing good writing. I remember someone ticking him off one time when he was gushing about Fashola's achievements, asking him how many Welsh politicians were praised so shamelessly in the papers  when he was at Cardiff. I kind of liked that. cool

In fact, have you guys every thought about the Nigerian media and the mindset of the people that read them?

Typical columnists write like this: Nigeria is bad bad bad, leaders are bad, country is bad, everything is bad, we are dead, Lord, help us!

Typical response to the columnist: Columnist, God bless you for writing this. In fact, your children's children are blessed for ever. In fact even, come and collect my two daughters for marriage. You are too brilliant, you are too smart. You are too correct. Nigeria is truly bad bad bad, leaders are bad bad bad, everything is bad, we are dead, God help us! Thank you for writing this, and keep writing stuff like this!

See why I only read BusinessDay?
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2010
NB: Pls I have struck out Azu's name from my list.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Well, I only read BusinessDay, and no other newspaper. I think it's the best business paper out there. Stopped reading all those political newspapers a long time ago.
Although BD 'falls' my hand occasionally with some silly stories like 'And The Ministers Laughed', some nonsense front page material about how all the ministers were laughing when they should be working. That kind of nonsense belongs only in City People!

Anyway my best columnists in BD are Ogho Okiti, Prof. Ok. Jemie, and JK Randle. I like the 'old money' quality of Randle. Those men don't pour out the usual Nigerian vituperations, they write good prose, and entertain you with their experience and humour.
There's also an old interview series running, of Chinweizu. As you may have guessed. I am strongly anti-imperialist, and pro-Black.

I think most of those guys you mention suck. Azu right now has some issues with a former subordinate, Simon Kolawole just plays to the gallery, Reuben Abati is irrelevant, and Casmir is just whipping up sentiments, not really producing good writing. I remember someone ticking him off one time when he was gushing about Fashola's achievements, asking him how many Welsh politicians were praised so shamelessly in the papers  when he was at Cardiff. I kind of liked that. cool

In fact, have you guys every thought about the Nigerian media and the mindset of the people that read them?

Typical columnists write like this: Nigeria is bad bad bad, leaders are bad, country is bad, everything is bad, we are dead, Lord, help us!

Typical response to the columnist: Columnist, God bless you for writing this. In fact, your children's children are blessed for ever. In fact even, come and collect my two daughters for marriage. You are too brilliant, you are too smart. You are too correct. Nigeria is truly bad bad bad, leaders are bad bad bad, everything is bad, we are dead, God help us! Thank you for writing this, and keep writing stuff like this!

grin grin grin grin grin I'm cracking up so hard, my colleague is now fully convinced am crazy  grin grin grin grin  Funny I never saw it well from this angle but it's true.

I believe it's Naija politics that has that effect on people, not that they really set out to be pessimists. For quite some time now criticism has been the only means available for the average Nigerian to engage in political activities. People are put-off/scared by the violence, horse-trading and such other unsavoury baggage that go with politics in this country which (imho) implies a lack of courage on our part. So all we do is criticize, on the pages of newspapers, in our offices, at the beer parlours, on Nairaland.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 4:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Although BD 'falls' my hand occasionally with some silly stories like 'And The Ministers Laughed', front page material o! shocked about how all the ministers were laughing when they should be working. That kind of nonsense belongs only in City People!

I think most of those guys you mention suck. Azu right now has some issues with a former subordinate, Simon Kolawole just plays to the gallery, Reuben Abati is irrelevant, and Casmir is just whipping up sentiments, not really producing good writing. I remember someone ticking him off one time when he was gushing about Fashola's achievements, asking him how many Welsh politicians were praised so shamelessly in the papers when he was at Cardiff. I kind of liked that. cool

grin
Yee, what a perfect illustration!!!
Funny but 100% true. Some respondents add: 'You are the only reason why I buy ThisDay on Monday. My Saturday is not complete without reading your column. God bless you. More grease to your elbow.', From Wale Ademakin, Ilesha.

. . and those columnists proudly publish those stupid responses

That said, Nigerian columnists still have an avid reader in me, principally because newspaper is the only material I read(I'm a lazy reader, I don't read novels etc), and if I should drop that too, then you can imagine how poor I'll be. Secondly, I'm a public affairs commentator myself, so I follow what others have to say on issue.

I must admit the quality of commentary and column writing in Nigeria has declined. I read much about the Stanley Macebuhs, Biodun Jeyifos, Daras of the 80s, but I didn't meet them. Guardian is trying in this respect, I think.

I also read BD. I like Dr. Ogho Okiti too, but my favourite is Opeyemi Agbaje.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 5:27pm On Apr 16, 2010
mbulela:

she comes across as a street wise lady.
very smart and can be witty.
she used to edit Independent and i think before that she was at Punch (Jarus, correct me if i am wrong on that last bit).
Yeah, you're very correct. She edited Independent, I think up to 2007. I rememeber her writing about the por.nography crisis in Ife in 2006 when she was maintaining a column with Independent. She was also formerly of the Punch.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by AjanleKoko: 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2010
Jarus:

I also read BD. I like Dr. Ogho Okiti too, but my favourite is Opeyemi Agbaje.

You go like am na. He writes soppy Nigerian political idealistic stuff grin
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 7:37pm On Apr 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

You go like am na. He writes soppy Nigerian political idealistic stuff grin
Maybe you're right. I have more interest in political happenings. grin
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by henry101(m): 7:58pm On Apr 16, 2010

You are so right about this.

But Jarus where would you classify those sunday vanguard columnists. I cant remember their names but I know I used to buy the sunday edtion of vanguard 'cos of the way they write.
I think Eric Osagie, Funke and Dimgba are also good columnists.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by mbulela: 1:13am On Apr 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Is there no contradiction in the two sentences above?
As it concerns the first sentence, i am neither of both.
I am strongly pro-human, irrespective of skin colour.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by AjanleKoko: 12:53pm On Apr 20, 2010
mbulela:

Is there no contradiction in the two sentences above?
As it concerns the first sentence, i am neither of both.
I am strongly pro-human, irrespective of skin colour.
cheesy What about the animals? Don't they get a crack? grin

Seriously, I mean, I'm anti-imperialist. By that I mean I am against the covert attempts of the West to continue to indirectly rule us by their policies and skewed trade arrangements.
I am pro-black, meaning, I believe the establishment of a Strong Black Nation is long overdue, Nigeria is an ideal candidate, and we need to find the guts to do it somehow.

I am not anti-others. But they've had their shake, mostly at our expense. Time for us to remove their steel-toed boots from our behind, and get busy building our own civilization, while we still have the time and luxury of resources.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Kabikala(m): 8:49am On Jun 07, 2010
My romance with Nigerian columnists

I first became fascinated with newspapers and newsmagazines in my secondary school days when I would stay glued to very old editions of Drum and Spear magazines which were subscribed to by my uncle who lived just next door to us. Daily newspapers such as Times, Sketch, Tribune and Concord were also a delight to read as I became educated on the various tendencies of the politicians of the second republic in their attempt to win the people’s votes. In the process, I succeeded in broadening my horizon compared to my peers as I got to know the meaning of words like “Lilliputian”, ever before reading Gulliver’s Travels. What attracted me to a write-up then was its ability to communicate in a simple and sensible manner to a young mind like mine, and to make interesting reading. (The same reason I loved Cyprian Ekwensi much more than Chinua Achebe). Of course, my experience was shaped considerably by the limited variety of newspapers I had access to as my parents were not literate or buoyant enough to subscribe to newspapers. I had to always rely on my uncle’s supplies, which though not diverse, was regular.
The first column that caught my fancy then was by a writer named Wakabout who wrote for Lagos Weekend, a tabloid that was published every weekend and is usually filled with news of marriage divorces with all the salacious details which usually appealed to less-serious minded folks. I always looked forward to each edition and was really pained when they stopped publishing. I also discovered Sam Akpabot, a professor at the University of Ibadan who maintained a weekly column with the Daily Sketch of which I was a faithful devotee then.  His column was actually focused on sports and he made it a point of duty to predict the results of matches to be played by the Green Eagles, as the Super Eagles were called then. He always had very beautiful explanations as to why his predictions did not come to pass; which is more the rule than the exception. And the commonest excuse was that the coach failed to listen to his advice on team selection and technical approach. His fortune-telling skill appears to be rooted on a combination of clairvoyance and knowledge of soccer, though always difficult to know which one formed the more tangible basis for his predictions. In the Nigerian Tribune, I liked reading Tai Solarin’s State of the Nation, Ayekooto by Bisi Onabanjo as well as Periscope.
The first time I read Ndaeyo Uko’s column in the Daily Times, I was so mesmerized and awed by his ability to process humor and satire in beautiful prose. He remained one of my all-time favorite columnists. I felt a sense of loss when his column was no longer featured in the paper as I learnt he left the country abroad for greener pastures.
I had a thing for Doyin Osagie-Okojie’s column titled Lipstick in Vanguard and that was my first experience with a female columnist. Chris Okojie (Doyin’s husband) ran a column titled Outraged on the inside back page of Vanguard newspaper and found an interactive way to discuss sports using combative language; this also piqued my interest. I did not know what happened to both of them as they also seemed to have melted into thin air. Perhaps, they also relocated abroad for a better life. Like Chris Okojie, Ade Ojeikere who was running a similar sports column in ThisDay some years back is a writer I admire for his expressiveness and passion. He recently got back to doing the same for the Nation newspapers.
The late 80s and early 90s witnessed the booming of soft-sell magazines like Prime People, Vintage People, TopLife, Hints, Hearts, Sweetheart and the likes. The next generation of writers I fell in love with were some of the writers in these magazines. I then began to appreciate writers who could bring out interesting perspectives from entertainment, fashion and life generally. Toni Kan who was writing for Hints then thrilled me to no end, but I also admired the writings of Helon Habila, Goke Jaiyesimi and Kayode Ajala. I first came across Reuben Abati through his column in Hints magazine then and he was also one of the writers I admire a lot. May Ellen Ezekiel’s MEE and You column in Classique magazine also thrilled me immensely, and to a lesser extent, RMD’s Adlib column. Among the group of celebrity journals like Fame, Global Excellence, Treasure, City People and Climax (what a name!), I grew to like the writings of Femi Akintunde Johnson (FAJ Live), Mayor Akinpelu, Dele Momodu (Pendulum) and Funke Egbemode.
The period of tyranny under the successive regimes of Buhari, Babangida and Abacha created a lot of psychological challenges for a young person like me seeing oppression face-to-face and being powerless to deal with them. I found succor in columnists who took on the government on behalf of the rest of us.  I therefore started becoming less fascinated by style, and became more enamored by substance and abiding principles. It then became difficult for me to enjoy beautiful prose white-washing government’s tyrannical actions or worse still, avoiding having to address them. My search for crusaders drifted my focus to writers who squared it up with government by criticizing unpopular policies and actions of government officials. I was told of the quintessential style of Dele Giwa but could not appreciate him before he was killed as I was only a teenager by then. With the repeated assault on my psyche as a citizen by successive Nigerian governments through various oppressive actions, I gradually began to define my favorite columnists along three streams: those with substance and style, those with substance and less style, and those with style and little substance, a categorization I still use till the present moment.
The first group which represents those I can not do without include writers mainly from the Guardian newspaper stable such as Okey Ndibe (now in The Sun), Sonala Olumhense, Paul Nwabuikwu (before he joined government and disappeared from the radar), Peter Claver Oparah, Luke Onyeakakah, and Levi Obijiofor. Back page columnists in The Nation such as Idowu Akinlotan and Marijata as well as in ThisDay such as Eni-B and Yusuph Olaniyonu also appealed to me. As far as I am concerned, ThisDay’s Simon Kolawole is one of the greatest writers in Nigeria. With his brilliance and unique style, he could, using simple prose, passionately drive home a point. I quite appreciate the humanity in him and would never forget some of his forgivable temperamental outbursts when he described Anyim Pius Anyim as a “mass of protoplasm”, paraphrasing Chuba Okadigbo. Godwin Agbroko was another great columnist I cherished. I always loved Femi Osofisan’s articles the few times he manages to put one up. I liked Joe Igbokwe except on occasions when he was unable to shed his partisan inclination which always beclouds his perspectives on certain matters. Ishaq Moddibbo Kawu of New Nigerian is a grade one writer in my reckoning, and Mohammed Haruna less so.
In more recent times, online writers like Michael Egbejumi-David and Pius Adesanmi also thrilled me with their unique styles. I marveled at the latter’s description of Bode George’s trial as the “Gelefication of corruption”. Such wordsmiths! Mobolaji Aluko, another online writer, does not pretend to be a style-driven columnist, but I enjoy his analytical approach all the same. Aliyu Tilde also strikes a good cord with me. I also rate The Perceptor column in SaharaReporters very highly.
The second group included writers that are generally acknowledged as fine columnists but I have failed to appreciate, try as I might. It included writers like Adebayo Williams who used to write for Newswatch magazine and Edwin Madunagu who still maintains a weekly column with the Guardian. Ijeoma Nwagwuwu who tries to discuss economics on the back page of ThisDay also belongs in this group as is Odia Ofeimun. I am sure there are many more like these writers whose articles I must have come across at one time or the other (like the Newswatch trio) but they just could not strike a chord with me. Perhaps I am a lazy reader. Brilliant writers they apparently must be as acknowledged by others, I just couldn't understand them. Even with extraordinary efforts to digest their writings, I failed to be enticed by their over-intelligent analysis. I guess my IQ just couldn’t cope. These folks struck me by their ability to take government to task on their various policies and actions, or propounding new ideas, but I just could not process and synthesize their writings.
The third category is actually a burgeoning group as I keep adding more columnists from the first group to this group based on my observations that their motives were not always altruistic. I regard them as excellent writers whose writings must be enjoyed, but would not take a chance with assuming that these columnists actually believe all that they preach about. For example, I moved Segun Adeniyi into this category immediately he became Yar’Adua’s mouthpiece and I now tended to look at his past criticism of government actions as a strategy to get attention. I think the right word is Opportunism. Azubuike of the Punch is, in my reckoning, firmly ensconced in this group. Reuben Abati and Dele Momodu script beautiful articles, but I just have found it rather difficult to trust them. They are still hovering on the fringes as I am yet to decide whether they belong here or in the first group and I am actually bidding my time on them. Chidi Amuta of ThisDay relocated here a few weeks back when his devotion to IBB could no longer be disguised. Good writer he is, in my reckoning, but shallow on principles. There is another small category under this group and it includes writers who appeal to me with their peculiar styles but do not address political and governance issues primarily; Onoshe Nwabuikwu (Airtime in ThisDay and later in The Punch newspaper) and the Dear Bunmi problem-solving columnist in The Vanguard.
I will end this piece by going a little off-course. There was this guy in the newspaper industry that I really loved (only God knows where he is presently). Albert Ohams, though not a columnist, was a talented cartoonist with an unbeatable sense of humor. I will never forget one of his cartoons where he depicted an accused person in court being defended by a lawyer. I will try to recount the piece as best as I can.
The lawyer, while pleading his client’s case grabbed him and said,
“My Lord, it is totally unfathomable that this short and tiny man could be accused of defiling this 6 feet tall and very huge woman. Look at his stature, look at his height, even look at his organ, tiny and miniscule”, (the lawyer said, grabbing the man’s focal places).
The accused man whispered to the lawyer,
“Oga Lawyer, softly softly touch my thing o. If the thing wake up penren, we go lose this case o!”
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Bawss1(m): 9:38am On Jun 07, 2010
^^ Now that was quite lengthy. Goodness.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by fodiyo(m): 10:03am On Jun 07, 2010
Am surprised that no one is even mentioning Sam Omatseye of (now) The Nation
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 7:08pm On Jun 07, 2010
My favs now are the famed The Nation commentariat(Sam Omatseye - Monday, Segun Gbadegesin- Monday, Olatunji Dare - Tuesday, Mohammed Haruna - Wednesday, Gbenga Omotoso - Thursday, and Segun Gbadegesin - Friday). I hardly even read Simon Kolawole these days.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by mbulela: 5:39am On Jun 22, 2010
Kabikala:

I first became fascinated with newspapers and newsmagazines in my secondary school days when I would stay glued to very old editions of Drum and Spear magazines which were subscribed to by my uncle who lived just next door to us. Daily newspapers such as Times, Sketch, Tribune and Concord were also a delight to read as I became educated on the various tendencies of the politicians of the second republic in their attempt to win the people’s votes. In the process, I succeeded in broadening my horizon compared to my peers as I got to know the meaning of words like “Lilliputian”, ever before reading Gulliver’s Travels. What attracted me to a write-up then was its ability to communicate in a simple and sensible manner to a young mind like mine, and to make interesting reading. (The same reason I loved Cyprian Ekwensi much more than Chinua Achebe). Of course, my experience was shaped considerably by the limited variety of newspapers I had access to as my parents were not literate or buoyant enough to subscribe to newspapers. I had to always rely on my uncle’s supplies, which though not diverse, was regular.
The first column that caught my fancy then was by a writer named Wakabout who wrote for Lagos Weekend, a tabloid that was published every weekend and is usually filled with news of marriage divorces with all the salacious details which usually appealed to less-serious minded folks. I always looked forward to each edition and was really pained when they stopped publishing. I also discovered Sam Akpabot, a professor at the University of Ibadan who maintained a weekly column with the Daily Sketch of which I was a faithful devotee then. His column was actually focused on sports and he made it a point of duty to predict the results of matches to be played by the Green Eagles, as the Super Eagles were called then. He always had very beautiful explanations as to why his predictions did not come to pass; which is more the rule than the exception. And the commonest excuse was that the coach failed to listen to his advice on team selection and technical approach. His fortune-telling skill appears to be rooted on a combination of clairvoyance and knowledge of soccer, though always difficult to know which one formed the more tangible basis for his predictions. In the Nigerian Tribune, I liked reading Tai Solarin’s State of the Nation, Ayekooto by Bisi Onabanjo as well as Periscope.
The first time I read Ndaeyo Uko’s column in the Daily Times, I was so mesmerized and awed by his ability to process humor and satire in beautiful prose. He remained one of my all-time favorite columnists. I felt a sense of loss when his column was no longer featured in the paper as I learnt he left the country abroad for greener pastures.
I had a thing for Doyin Osagie-Okojie’s column titled Lipstick in Vanguard and that was my first experience with a female columnist. Chris Okojie (Doyin’s husband) ran a column titled Outraged on the inside back page of Vanguard newspaper and found an interactive way to discuss sports using combative language; this also piqued my interest. I did not know what happened to both of them as they also seemed to have melted into thin air. Perhaps, they also relocated abroad for a better life. Like Chris Okojie, Ade Ojeikere who was running a similar sports column in ThisDay some years back is a writer I admire for his expressiveness and passion. He recently got back to doing the same for the Nation newspapers.
The late 80s and early 90s witnessed the booming of soft-sell magazines like Prime People, Vintage People, TopLife, Hints, Hearts, Sweetheart and the likes. The next generation of writers I fell in love with were some of the writers in these magazines. I then began to appreciate writers who could bring out interesting perspectives from entertainment, fashion and life generally. Toni Kan who was writing for Hints then thrilled me to no end, but I also admired the writings of Helon Habila, Goke Jaiyesimi and Kayode Ajala. I first came across Reuben Abati through his column in Hints magazine then and he was also one of the writers I admire a lot. May Ellen Ezekiel’s MEE and You column in Classique magazine also thrilled me immensely, and to a lesser extent, RMD’s Adlib column. Among the group of celebrity journals like Fame, Global Excellence, Treasure, City People and Climax (what a name!), I grew to like the writings of Femi Akintunde Johnson (FAJ Live), Mayor Akinpelu, Dele Momodu (Pendulum) and Funke Egbemode.
The period of tyranny under the successive regimes of Buhari, Babangida and Abacha created a lot of psychological challenges for a young person like me seeing oppression face-to-face and being powerless to deal with them. I found succor in columnists who took on the government on behalf of the rest of us. I therefore started becoming less fascinated by style, and became more enamored by substance and abiding principles. It then became difficult for me to enjoy beautiful prose white-washing government’s tyrannical actions or worse still, avoiding having to address them. My search for crusaders drifted my focus to writers who squared it up with government by criticizing unpopular policies and actions of government officials. I was told of the quintessential style of Dele Giwa but could not appreciate him before he was killed as I was only a teenager by then. With the repeated assault on my psyche as a citizen by successive Nigerian governments through various oppressive actions, I gradually began to define my favorite columnists along three streams: those with substance and style, those with substance and less style, and those with style and little substance, a categorization I still use till the present moment.
The first group which represents those I can not do without include writers mainly from the Guardian newspaper stable such as Okey Ndibe (now in The Sun), Sonala Olumhense, Paul Nwabuikwu (before he joined government and disappeared from the radar), Peter Claver Oparah, Luke Onyeakakah, and Levi Obijiofor. Back page columnists in The Nation such as Idowu Akinlotan and Marijata as well as in ThisDay such as Eni-B and Yusuph Olaniyonu also appealed to me. As far as I am concerned, ThisDay’s Simon Kolawole is one of the greatest writers in Nigeria. With his brilliance and unique style, he could, using simple prose, passionately drive home a point. I quite appreciate the humanity in him and would never forget some of his forgivable temperamental outbursts when he described Anyim Pius Anyim as a “mass of protoplasm”, paraphrasing Chuba Okadigbo. Godwin Agbroko was another great columnist I cherished. I always loved Femi Osofisan’s articles the few times he manages to put one up. I liked Joe Igbokwe except on occasions when he was unable to shed his partisan inclination which always beclouds his perspectives on certain matters. Ishaq Moddibbo Kawu of New Nigerian is a grade one writer in my reckoning, and Mohammed Haruna less so.
In more recent times, online writers like Michael Egbejumi-David and Pius Adesanmi also thrilled me with their unique styles. I marveled at the latter’s description of Bode George’s trial as the “Gelefication of corruption”. Such wordsmiths! Mobolaji Aluko, another online writer, does not pretend to be a style-driven columnist, but I enjoy his analytical approach all the same. Aliyu Tilde also strikes a good cord with me. I also rate The Perceptor column in SaharaReporters very highly.
The second group included writers that are generally acknowledged as fine columnists but I have failed to appreciate, try as I might. It included writers like Adebayo Williams who used to write for Newswatch magazine and Edwin Madunagu who still maintains a weekly column with the Guardian. Ijeoma Nwagwuwu who tries to discuss economics on the back page of ThisDay also belongs in this group as is Odia Ofeimun. I am sure there are many more like these writers whose articles I must have come across at one time or the other (like the Newswatch trio) but they just could not strike a chord with me. Perhaps I am a lazy reader. Brilliant writers they apparently must be as acknowledged by others, I just couldn't understand them. Even with extraordinary efforts to digest their writings, I failed to be enticed by their over-intelligent analysis. I guess my IQ just couldn’t cope. These folks struck me by their ability to take government to task on their various policies and actions, or propounding new ideas, but I just could not process and synthesize their writings.
The third category is actually a burgeoning group as I keep adding more columnists from the first group to this group based on my observations that their motives were not always altruistic. I regard them as excellent writers whose writings must be enjoyed, but would not take a chance with assuming that these columnists actually believe all that they preach about. For example, I moved Segun Adeniyi into this category immediately he became Yar’Adua’s mouthpiece and I now tended to look at his past criticism of government actions as a strategy to get attention. I think the right word is Opportunism. Azubuike of the Punch is, in my reckoning, firmly ensconced in this group. Reuben Abati and Dele Momodu script beautiful articles, but I just have found it rather difficult to trust them. They are still hovering on the fringes as I am yet to decide whether they belong here or in the first group and I am actually bidding my time on them. Chidi Amuta of ThisDay relocated here a few weeks back when his devotion to IBB could no longer be disguised. Good writer he is, in my reckoning, but shallow on principles. There is another small category under this group and it includes writers who appeal to me with their peculiar styles but do not address political and governance issues primarily; Onoshe Nwabuikwu (Airtime in ThisDay and later in The Punch newspaper) and the Dear Bunmi problem-solving columnist in The Vanguard.
I will end this piece by going a little off-course. There was this guy in the newspaper industry that I really loved (only God knows where he is presently). Albert Ohams, though not a columnist, was a talented cartoonist with an unbeatable sense of humor. I will never forget one of his cartoons where he depicted an accused person in court being defended by a lawyer. I will try to recount the piece as best as I can.
“My Lord, it is totally unfathomable that this short and tiny man could be accused of defiling this 6 feet tall and very huge woman. Look at his stature, look at his height, even look at his organ, tiny and miniscule”, (the lawyer said, grabbing the man’s focal places).
“Oga Lawyer, softly softly touch my thing o. If the thing wake up penren, we go lose this case o!”

that was a lengthy sermon but i am glad that i read it.
You sure have come a long way and i can see that our paths crossed along the way.
Those were the days.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by favouredjb(f): 10:20am On Jun 22, 2010
Kabikala:

The first column that caught my fancy then was by a writer named Wakabout who wrote for Lagos Weekend, a tabloid that was published every weekend and is usually filled with news of marriage divorces with all the salacious details which usually appealed to less-serious minded folks. I always looked forward to each edition and was really pained when they stopped publishing. I also discovered Sam Akpabot, a professor at the University of Ibadan who maintained a weekly column with the Daily Sketch of which I was a faithful devotee then.  His column was actually focused on sports and he made it a point of duty to predict the results of matches to be played by the Green Eagles, as the Super Eagles were called then. He always had very beautiful explanations as to why his predictions did not come to pass; which is more the rule than the exception. And the commonest excuse was that the coach failed to listen to his advice on team selection and technical approach. His fortune-telling skill appears to be rooted on a combination of clairvoyance and knowledge of soccer, though always difficult to know which one formed the more tangible basis for his predictions. In the Nigerian Tribune, I liked reading Tai Solarin’s State of the Nation, Ayekooto by Bisi Onabanjo as well as Periscope.
The period of tyranny under the successive regimes of Buhari, Babangida and Abacha created a lot of psychological challenges for a young person like me seeing oppression face-to-face and being powerless to deal with them. I found succor in columnists who took on the government on behalf of the rest of us.  I therefore started becoming less fascinated by style, and became more enamored by substance and abiding principles. It then became difficult for me to enjoy beautiful prose white-washing government’s tyrannical actions or worse still, avoiding having to address them. My search for crusaders drifted my focus to writers who squared it up with government by criticizing unpopular policies and actions of government officials. I was told of the quintessential style of Dele Giwa but could not appreciate him before he was killed as I was only a teenager by then. With the repeated assault on my psyche as a citizen by successive Nigerian governments through various oppressive actions, I gradually began to define my favorite columnists along three streams: those with substance and style, those with substance and less style, and those with style and little substance, a categorization I still use till the present moment.

@kabikala,nice post,i dont regret reading it.

i started reading most of these guys u mentioned too,as a very young girl
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Jarus(m): 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2010
Kabikala:

The first column that caught my fancy then was by a writer named Wakabout who wrote for Lagos Weekend, a tabloid that was published every weekend and is usually filled with news of marriage divorces with all the salacious details which usually appealed to less-serious minded folks. I always looked forward to each edition and was really pained when they stopped publishing. I also discovered Sam Akpabot, a professor at the University of Ibadan who maintained a weekly column with the Daily Sketch of which I was a faithful devotee then. His column was actually focused on sports and he made it a point of duty to predict the results of matches to be played by the Green Eagles, as the Super Eagles were called then. He always had very beautiful explanations as to why his predictions did not come to pass; which is more the rule than the exception. And the commonest excuse was that the coach failed to listen to his advice on team selection and technical approach. His fortune-telling skill appears to be rooted on a combination of clairvoyance and knowledge of soccer, though always difficult to know which one formed the more tangible basis for his predictions. In the Nigerian Tribune, I liked reading Tai Solarin’s State of the Nation, Ayekooto by Bisi Onabanjo as well as Periscope.
The period of tyranny under the successive regimes of Buhari, Babangida and Abacha created a lot of psychological challenges for a young person like me seeing oppression face-to-face and being powerless to deal with them. I found succor in columnists who took on the government on behalf of the rest of us. I therefore started becoming less fascinated by style, and became more enamored by substance and abiding principles. It then became difficult for me to enjoy beautiful prose white-washing government’s tyrannical actions or worse still, avoiding having to address them. My search for crusaders drifted my focus to writers who squared it up with government by criticizing unpopular policies and actions of government officials. I was told of the quintessential style of Dele Giwa but could not appreciate him before he was killed as I was only a teenager by then. With the repeated assault on my psyche as a citizen by successive Nigerian governments through various oppressive actions, I gradually began to define my favorite columnists along three streams: those with substance and style, those with substance and less style, and those with style and little substance, a categorization I still use till the present moment.

Good analysis you have up there kabikala. The part of a newspaper I also enjoy most is teh column, so in a way, I can predict the mind of many of those columnists on issues.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by olaolabiy: 11:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
my God! why have you all forgotten dare babarinsa of TELL magazine? king of style. he's my man in the 90's. was it epilogue or something?
and (sports)mumuni alao. they're many, dele momodu(then), kunle bakare, toni kan, rueben abati, wale olomu, tosan(motoring), desola bakare, kunle ajibade(thenews), and many others.
Re: Analysing The Analysts And Their Analyses: A Look At Nigerian Columnists by Mustay(m): 10:22am On Jul 03, 2013
ola olabiy: my God! why have you all forgotten dare babarinsa of TELL magazine? king of style. he's my man in the 90's. was it epilogue or something?
and (sports)mumuni alao. they're many, dele momodu(then), kunle bakare, toni kan, rueben abati, wale olomu, tosan(motoring), desola bakare, kunle ajibade(thenews), and many others.

I loved Dele Omotunde of TELL before he left for governance. He was just too funny. The way he cooled your temperament on burning national issues, he was a comic relief.

Things have changed now, especially in Punch but that lady (forgotten her name now), I like the way she writes in her back page analysis. I remember her article on GEj vs Amaechi where she gave a "no sainthood" to both parties. The Azugate is what people still accuse Punch of a la ACN's paper. The prof that writes from US too, he was accused of being a Mimiko writer prior to and after the elections. Now, Ogunlesi writes for Punch but except for lady, I've got no fav for .

Time doesn't make me follow across board to often now but I like Luke's writings. He comes with so many facts and with Guardian being a scholarly paper, I ain't surprised.

Once I notice a writer's undisguised bias, I just yimz. Additionally those who are behind the paper determine some thoughts wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dapchi: Parents Occupy NASS, Demands Probe And Recovery Of Abducted Daughters / INEC To Present Certificates Of Return To 26 ODHA Members-elect Today / Public Power Supply Continues To Improve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 240
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.