Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,027 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? (7967 Views)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / A Sincere Letter To All Atheists On Nairaland / Nigerian atheists should take several seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by TomHagen: 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol . You couldn't even keep a straight face while typing this lie . Lol , again
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by felixomor: 8:22pm On Aug 04, 2016
HCpaul:

Any theist that tag this man as a believer (a Christian) is a desperate Christian and not a friend of Jesus.
Don't just try to associate people to your religion because of their high social status (aristocracy).

He is an atheist just that he is trying to be a good Communist by not speaking his views about religion but better still, based on the above statements, he ain't a Christian at all (I don't care if he is an agnostic or what ever).

Offline, I am also like bill that doesn't give a damn at religion even when I was still a Christian. Even now, I don't use to engage in religious conversations cuz am not just motivated to do so. I still go to church when I feel like watching a live entertainment at my custody especially when am told that a drama will be holding and that the choreographers will be presenting their ministrations.
I love discussing about knowledge in general and including theology which is a branch of philosophy.

Based on this my offline status, am I a real Christian or a believer??

Religion is very good at making superstitious folklores. Using human emotions to demonstrate a written poet. Their quality over-moral standard, their loving and giving nature. To be honest, the society do have their own positive side effect. I love those men that organized those principles just that the main book (the Bible) needs a lot of editing to fit into an effective use in this 21st century.

You seem to be living in 1997, 2 decades ago.

Here is an excerpt from 2014 interview of William gates

Just to set the records straight.

"Bill Gates is not only the world’s richest person, he’s also one of the most generous. His organization, The Gates Foundation, is dedicated to eradicating diseases and helping the world’s most poor, and he’s committed to giving away almost his entire fortune. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, he revealed that part of the inspiration for helping others is based on religious principles. He told the magazine (the questions about faith are on page five of the interview),

The moral systems of religion, I think, are superimportant. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief."

Read more at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/bill-gates-discusses-god-church-charity-and-faith#qhDSuefgyRiABj1B.99

Please try to always do current research cool

"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by HCpaul(m): 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
felixomor:

"Bill Gates is not only the world’s richest person, he’s also one of the most generous. His organization, The Gates Foundation, is dedicated to eradicating diseases and helping the world’s most poor, and he’s committed to giving away almost his entire fortune. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, he revealed that part of the inspiration for helping others is based on religious principles. He told the magazine (the questions about faith are on page five of the interview),

The moral systems of religion, I think, are superimportant. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief."

Read more at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/bill-gates-discusses-god-church-charity-and-faith#qhDSuefgyRiABj1B.99

"

Current research??
Ok!

Am not talking about how he raised his children, his wife belief, but what am saying here is that the gate personality is a science genius and cannot analyze empirical observations and logical explanations by been religious.

I too intend to have an average religious wife like Malinda and raise up my children on how to make that fictional book a reality.

Am now getting it that you love utilizing opportunities in affiliating great men into your religious belief while isolating others.

Bill Gate is not a theist and that is final. I don't care if people call me agnostic, deist, a pantheist or a freethinker, all I care about is that I USE MY BRAIN AND NOT MENTALLY COLONIZED.

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by montezz(f): 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
Seun:
I'm also a 100% Nigerian atheist. When I deconverted, the only atheists I knew were Tai Solarin and Bill Gates. I only recently started watching and reading vocal atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. There's so much to learn.
Wow!
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by felixomor: 9:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
HCpaul:

Current research??
Ok!

Am not talking about how he raised his children, his wife belief, but what am saying here is that the gate personality is a science genius and cannot analyze empirical observations and logical explanations by been religious.

I too intend to have an average religious wife like Malinda and raise up my children on how to make that fictional book a reality.

Am now getting it that you love utilizing opportunities in affiliating great men into your religious belief while isolating others.

Bill Gate is not a theist and that is final. I don't care if people call me agnostic, deist, a pantheist or a freethinker, all I care about is that I USE MY BRAIN AND NOT MENTALLY COLONIZED.

Please take time and read the full article before u continue to argue with yourself on the definition of an atheist.

He even went ahead to state that it makes more sense to believe in God than not.
Read it, and be illuminated cool
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by wirinet(m): 9:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
felixomor:

"

The quotes of Bill Gates reflect my philosophy in life. I also believe the moral systems of religion are important, but the immoral aspects should be discarded. My wife is also a good christian, who takes our children to church. The church fellowship is even held in my house. But all these do not change the fact that I do not give a hoot about religion. I believe everybody should worship the way that makes them happy, without disturbing others. It should be a personal affair. What I detest is trying to impose your belief on others.
Proudly 100% Nigerian atheist - always been.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by felixomor: 9:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
wirinet:

The quotes of Bill Gates reflect my philosophy in life. I also believe the moral systems of religion are important, but the immoral aspects should be discarded. My wife is also a good christian, who takes our children to church. The church fellowship is even held in my house. But all these do not change the fact that I do not give a hoot about religion. I believe everybody should worship the way that makes them happy, without disturbing others. It should be a personal affair. What I detest is trying to impose your belief on others.
Proudly 100% Nigerian atheist - always been.

Sorry, u r not an atheist. sad
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by wirinet(m): 10:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
felixomor:

Sorry, u r not an atheist. sad
Then what am i?
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by felixomor: 10:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
wirinet:

Then what am i?

More like a pantheist.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2016
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by freethinker01: 1:01am On Aug 05, 2016
Proudly a nigerian 100% atheist. I've never felt better for like 6 years now since i discarded the whole bs.

4 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by JackBizzle: 1:23am On Aug 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The touts in the car parks are 100 percent Nigerian atheists - fun fact . If you think it's a lie try preaching to them , they go ballistic just like you people

The same touts that have religious quotations all over their buses?

Gerarahere!

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by hopefulLandlord: 8:29am On Aug 05, 2016
felixomor:

So u r now a muslim?
Wow wonders, of the world. shocked

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by raphieMontella: 10:30am On Aug 05, 2016
There are a lot of nigerian atheists out there...nothing is better than when one has the ability to think for himself nt sm medieval human thought put in our heads as kids..
We are all born into this world as atheists..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by raphieMontella: 10:47am On Aug 05, 2016
crixtex:
By the. time most of these dumb atheist close their eyes, i hope wen they see the Lord Jesus Christ, dey wont feel disappointed after.letting the Devil trick them with atheism...

Even the wickedest man ever lived, Aleister Crowley believed in God and was sorry over his wrongful life after all his atheism and sadomaso lifestyle ....

Anton Lavey the founder of the Church of satan, wept at his death bed...

Shun Atheism, Believe in the Lord Jesus and be saved from God's coming wrath.....
have u ever considered the possibility of u burning in the islamic hell?
Or the greek god hades underworld?
When ever u fully know why u feel they are non existent then u wud know urs isnt...
P.s
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 05, 2016
Seun:
I'm also a 100% Nigerian atheist. When I deconverted, the only atheists I knew were Tai Solarin and Bill Gates. I only recently started watching and reading vocal atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. There's so much to learn.

Also look up the late Christopher Hitchens. I think having almost absolute confidence that there is no God is a greater leap of faith. According to a logic by Ben Carson I quote "Imagine aliens visiting this planet and all they see are bicycles, and a spectrum of cars ranging from old model cars like Volkswagen beetle to new model cars like G-wagon. The aliens may want to read meaning to it which is the bicycle may have evolved to old model cars which evolved to new model cars meanwhile these different cars were manufactured". Also comes the issue of consciousness... ability to plan ahead. Why do only humans have the ability to plan ahead?. I also think agnostics exhibit more intellectual honesty than atheist who claim to be more than 80 percent sure that there is no God.

I have watched virtually all of Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris debate religious folks. Something you should keep in mind is that Richard Dawkins is a prominent evolutionary biologist hence he naturally tends to be against any religion(I remember one question he was asked by a reporter that what if he dies and find out that God actually exist what will he do. The answer he gave was that he was going to ask God which exact one he is (Thor, Jesus, Buddhist, etc. ) and the reporter just laughed.). The point is Richard will always be strongly biased against religion no matter the evidence presented. That is why I like Neil deGrasse Tyson and some prominent theoretical physicists who believe that there is evidence of an intelligent design but not sure if there is a God.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by felixomor: 2:36pm On Aug 05, 2016
Seun:

Bill Gates is not atheist, at least going by recent interviews.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Thebrightest(m): 7:47pm On Aug 05, 2016
GrizzlyBear:
I had a discussion with an Atheist friend yesterday, and that discussion raised an interesting question.
My friend, confidently proposed, that there is hardly any full blooded, 100% Nigerian, living in Nigeria,( and I'll explain the meaning of this phrase later on), that is an atheist. And as a reply to that, I happily told him I knew lots of 100% Nigerians on Nairaland who are Atheists. But his reply to this surprised me. He said that non of the Atheists on NL are 100% Nigerians.

And this brings me to the description of what a 100% Nigerian is. A 100% Nigeria is an individual who was born in Nigeria, to 100% Nigerian parents, did his primary and secondary school in Nigeria, wrote jamb and waec in Nigeria, and did his Higher institutional learning in Nigeria. He doesn't have non Nigerian relatives and hasn't been outside Nigeria before, at least before he became an Atheist.

Is there anyone like this on Nairaland? I really want to prove my friend wrong.

NB: Atheist, as used in this context, is just a general term for those who don't sympathize with Theism. You could be an Atheist or Deist or Pantheist or whatever vague term or description you choose to use to classify your views on mankind's purpose in the universe, that doesn't fall under organized religion.

Cc

Seun, Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , hoefullandlord , weah96 , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, unclesnr, thebrightest hahn LoJ plaetton otemanuduno sleekAfonja omenka Tonyebarcanista TomHagen NgeneUkwenu Holargyde EBLABOR AnakinSkywalker AnonyNymous joseph1013
I am atheist and by your explanation on what being 100% Nigerian means, i will say i am 100% Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by plaetton: 8:11pm On Aug 05, 2016
I am a Toothfairian .

I don't know if that makes me an atheists or other.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Antiparticle(m): 8:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
I am 100% atheist although I guess I don't fit your definition of "100% Nigerian". However a very close family member is 100% atheist and is 100% Nigerian by your definition; my discovery of our shared disbelief surprised me.

Here are my opinions for why the percentage of "100% Nigerian" atheists may not (yet) be as high as it is in the West.
1. Social factors: most people don't even consider questioning religion because it could lead to significant social fallout.
2. Education: our educational system does not encourage questioning authority, and does not encourage unbounded critical thinking.
3. Superstitious culture & mental inertia: Most Nigerian traditional cultures believe in the spirit world so most of our minds are deeply brainwashed from birth. Additionally, our society has not even yet entered a scientific "age of reason".
4. Our collectivist culture: Our collectivist culture is very good when it comes to bringing family and friends together, but it can be stunting when it comes to asserting one's individualism. This collectivism is a generally good trait (as it helps stave off loneliness and depression that is rampant in individualist western countries) HOWEVER this communal approach fosters groupthink and can impede truly independent thinking.
5. Scientific illiteracy: A lot of Nigerians are scientifically illiterate. Even certain so-called people trained in the sciences think only within their training domain, and are unable or unwilling to process and synthesize any scientific information that doesn't fit their predetermined intuition. The debates on the Religion thread about the factuality of evolution is an example of this.

It is the "100% Nigerians" that are truly radical thinkers or boundless readers that end up unconvering the scam that is theism.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
i am 100% nigerian and atheist ,in my almost two decades of existence never have i ever felt much relief, freedom,joy and love etc name it .

and another thing atheism has to do with the fact that god does not exist .because god requires belief to exist not facts or proofs ,but our loved ones do not need belief to exist we know them ,we see them etc.so 100% atheist and nigerian
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 06, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

See eh , If you've noticed I am not usually active because these arguments are now banal and vapid . So don't expect me to continue this argument . Pay attention to the emboldened texts and take correction abeg .

God's judgement decides that .

What's the point of this question since you claim to understand Deism .

There are theistic evolutionists . Or religious people who are evolutionists . There is no proof for macro-evolution . A deist could most likely subscribe to progressive creationism though there are certainly Deists who are evolutionists .

This is incongruous with the definition

Every deist has his own concept of the creator . Most of these concepts are influenced by religion . "Anthropomorphic" is the appropriate term .

A deist's version of eternal life could be reincarnation .

If He wants to . Its very advisable to

Congrats on your graduation from secondary school . What were your college choices ?
don't downgrade secondary school students. They are simply at that point in life. In fact, if there's any one to disgrace, it should be so called "computer scientists" who would rather spend their time trolling on the internet instead of actually contributing to their field.

Your replies are ambiguous and illogical as usual. A Deist's eternal life will be decided by God's judgement. After almost countless verses in the Bible directly stating otherwise. This is yet another instance of you lying through your teeth just so you can win an argument. Go jump off a cliff, You're the most useless Christian I've ever met.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by hahn(m): 1:42pm On Aug 06, 2016
Teempakguy:
don't downgrade secondary school students. They are simply at that point in life. In fact, if there's any one to disgrace, it should be so called "computer scientists" who would rather spend their time trolling on the internet instead of actually contributing to their field.

Your replies are ambiguous and illogical as usual. A Deist's eternal life will be decided by God's judgement. After almost countless verses in the Bible directly stating otherwise. This is yet another instance of you lying through your teeth just so you can win an argument. Go jump off a cliff, You're the most useless Christian I've ever met.

I agree grin
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2016
JackBizzle:

The same touts that have religious quotations all over their buses?

Gerarahere!

Mtcheew ... Smh ... Bus owners are not touts , their conductors and the bus loaders , the ones that help load the buses with passengers at the motor park and are paid little money are the touts - the atheists .

Try preaching to those ones and see their reaction .
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:08pm On Aug 06, 2016
Teempakguy:

I told you were very unintelligent when you had that discussion with sukkot on the meaning of intelligence . Remember ? And here you are committing logical fallacies, another blatant show of abysmal vacuousness

"Your replies are ambiguous and illogical " - argumentum ad lapidem , Pooh-pooh

"You are the most useless Christian I've ever met" - argumentum ad hominem

"This is yet another instance of you lying through your teeth" - Pooh-pooh

Nigga still did not refute my posts . Just the usual emotional outbursts and affronts when faced with superior logic.

Please read up deism and stop this foolish puerile talk and false accusations - my compliment was not contemptuous and I was not being supercilious .

And I'm willing to give you another chance boy .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2016
raphieMontella:
100% full blooded nigerian atheist..
There are a lot like us...nothing is better than when one has the ability to think for himself nt sm medieval human thought put in our heads as kids..
We are all born into this world as atheists..
P.s
oh..... This is WRONG. Atheism is NOT "Lack of belief in the existence of God".... It is ACTUALLY, at bottom, the belief that There's NO God, which is, of course, an ASSERTION, a philosophical position, that could never have been held by a young mind just entering the human sphere.... We were all born with BLANK minds, minds as white as canvas which could be painted ANY colour by the RIGHT person. That's why your environment and upbringing determine your beliefs and mindset...... Your Education may, or may not have any major effect on it, as it depends on the kind of mind and situation (as well as degree of exposure)..... Although, if you're rational enough, your rationality will eventually interfere with the kind of consciousness (Most times, FALSE consciousness) your environment and parents have constructed for you. It is at that point, that you begin to CREATE YOURSELF... Your true self begin to emerge, although unless you're infinitely rational, you will never be able to be TOTALLY free of the identity constructed for you, of the influence the environment has exerted on you. However, you would have developed substantially enough to have expressed your true character to a reasonable degree.

These all depend on your rationality, which can be affected by whether you're a FEELING type, SENSING type, INTUITIVE type, or THINKING type.......

There's probably more to it though.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2016
Of course, there are..... I'm one.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
4kings:
100% Nigerian Deist.
Deism is superflous....
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:30pm On Aug 06, 2016
KingEtienneSky:
Deism is superflous....

Bro ... what does this mean ?
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Bill Gates is not an atheist . This is like the third time I'm telling you this . Its like you are repeating it to assure yourself He is one . He is not an atheist and will never be .

So are you a gnostic atheist ?
The Holy Spirit told you that, I suppose?
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2016
KingEtienneSky:
The Holy Spirit told you that, I suppose?

I'm a clairvoyant !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sam Adeyemi To Older Generation: Get Nigeria To Work, Youths Won’t Keep Silent / Atheists, You Are All Invited. / The Key To Be Eligible For Ressurection To Live Forever Like Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.