Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? (7982 Views)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / A Sincere Letter To All Atheists On Nairaland / Nigerian atheists should take several seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 03, 2016
I had a discussion with an Atheist friend yesterday, and that discussion raised an interesting question.
My friend, confidently proposed, that there is hardly any full blooded, 100% Nigerian, living in Nigeria,( and I'll explain the meaning of this phrase later on), that is an atheist. And as a reply to that, I happily told him I knew lots of 100% Nigerians on Nairaland who are Atheists. But his reply to this surprised me. He said that non of the Atheists on NL are 100% Nigerians.

And this brings me to the description of what a 100% Nigerian is. A 100% Nigeria is an individual who was born in Nigeria, to 100% Nigerian parents, did his primary and secondary school in Nigeria, wrote jamb and waec in Nigeria, and did his Higher institutional learning in Nigeria. He doesn't have non Nigerian relatives and hasn't been outside Nigeria before, at least before he became an Atheist.

Is there anyone like this on Nairaland? I really want to prove my friend wrong.

NB: Atheist, as used in this context, is just a general term for those who don't sympathize with Theism. You could be an Atheist or Deist or Pantheist or whatever vague term or description you choose to use to classify your views on mankind's purpose in the universe, that doesn't fall under organized religion.

Cc

Seun, Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , hoefullandlord , weah96 , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, unclesnr, thebrightest hahn LoJ plaetton otemanuduno sleekAfonja omenka Tonyebarcanista TomHagen NgeneUkwenu Holargyde EBLABOR AnakinSkywalker AnonyNymous joseph1013

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by herzern(m): 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2016
Wanna-be's grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by braithwaite(m): 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2016
[b]

Yea am not yet 100% but what's gonna hold me? undecided..despite the impossible odd of you being a full atheist in a society where you'll be tagged as a devil or an occult is slim been fully 100%.

Have been on this since my secondary schl days..dunno what prompt it out but I just kinda see it odd why would some preacher tell me how to a sinner is gonna end up in hell and the righteous in heaven..have always been on that curious tale since then..always skip religious gathering for one or two silly excuses..it all changes in my early twenties, I had a last fling with religion in a desperate attempt to hold on to something that had been very important to me which is questioning the exisstence of God.bla bla bla ,being an atheist is a privilege, curiously I have more freedom about questioning about myself, and our existence. and It is a path to swap religion for philosophy. Wisdom without the divine filter. It takes out of the equation stress from thinking about pleasing a deity. I redeem my life better knowing I have the advantage to die together with my consciousness. That my afterlife would only exist if my actions impact life after me. And REINCARNATION would be only possible if my body get decomposed naturally so I become a nutrient for another living being.wasn't easy being an athiest. I still do attend religious gathering till date just to sum up their waspy tales and folklores to have more insight on their contradicting books and novel..

Fully blooded Nigerian

[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by johnydon22(m): 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
GrizzlyBear:
I had a discussion with an Atheist friend yesterday, and that discussion raised an interesting question.
My friend, confidently proposed, that there is hardly any fulled blooded, 100% Nigerian, living in Nigeria,( and I'll explain the meaning of this phrase later on), that is an atheist. And as a reply to that, I happily told him I knew lots of 100% Nigerians on Nairaland who are Atheists. But his reply to this surprised me. He said that non of the Atheists on NL are 100% Nigerians.

And this brings me to the description of what a 100% Nigerian is. A 100% Nigeria is an individual who was born in Nigeria, to 100% Nigerian parents, did his primary and secondary school in Nigeria, wrote jamb and waec in Nigeria, and did his Higher institutional learning in Nigeria. He doesn't have non Nigerian relatives and hasn't been outside Nigeria before, at least before he became an Atheist.

NB: Atheist, as used in this context, is just a general term for those who don't sympathize with Theism. You could be an Atheist or Deist or Pantheist or whatever vague term or description you choose to use to classify your views on mankind's purpose in the universe, that doesn't fall under organized religion.

I am a 100% Nigerian going by the definition of a 100% Nigerian you have above and i am an atheist.

so you have your answer now

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
space booked ----to comment later
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by hahn(m): 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
johnydon22:

I am a 100% Nigerian going by the definition of a 100% Nigerian you have above and i am an atheist.

Same here @ op smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by McSterling(m): 4:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
I'm one

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by kevoh(m): 5:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
I'm not 100% Nigerian atheist according to your definition but my five years outside 9ja has zero influence on my being atheist. I'll still tag myself 100% Nigerian.

6 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by ichommy(m): 5:11pm On Aug 03, 2016
hahn:

Same here @ op smiley

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by davien(m): 5:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
100% Nigerian atheist.

4 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by PastorAIO: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
Are you suggesting that lack of exposure is what stops nigerians from becoming atheists?

It seems that your friend does not believe in the objective Truth of Theism, if all it takes to leave it is exposure to the world outside nigeria.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Pdizzle(m): 5:49pm On Aug 03, 2016
It is actually very sad that most black people assume the black man cannot have any independent thinking and come to conclusion of his own without western influence.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by hahn(m): 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2016
[quote author=ichommy post=48156657][/quote]

tongue

Na true na
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by 4kings: 6:12pm On Aug 03, 2016
100% Nigerian Deist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by donnffd(m): 6:35pm On Aug 03, 2016
100% Nigerian atheist here, just checking in

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by efismikoko(m): 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2016
So sad people think Nigerians can not think

Well am a full Nigerian never bin out not even Benin republic hav not even bin to badagry sef grin

Am an atheist

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by EyeofHorus: 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
A million % Nigerian and A trillion % Atheist in n out.

I've been bullied a lot by theists for being an Atheist. No shaking.

My family and everyone around me knows I'm Atheist. They love me like this and respects my stance.

I will be an Atheist til I die.

And I'm a female.

#wefoundhappinessinatheism

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 7:45pm On Aug 03, 2016
I'm also a 100% Nigerian atheist. When I deconverted, the only atheists I knew were Tai Solarin and Bill Gates. I only recently started watching and reading vocal atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. There's so much to learn.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukaNaija: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2016
Seun:
I'm also a 100% Nigerian atheist. When I deconverted, the only atheists I knew were Tai Solarin and Bill Gates. I only recently started watching and reading vocal atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. There's so much to learn.

Bill Gates is not an atheist . This is like the third time I'm telling you this . Its like you are repeating it to assure yourself He is one . He is not an atheist and will never be .

So are you a gnostic atheist ?

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by 4kings: 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Bill Gates is not an atheist . This is like the third time I'm telling you this . Its like you are repeating it to assure yourself He is one . He is not an atheist and will never be .

So are you a gnostic atheist ?
Bill gate is an agnostic atheist, not a religious guy.
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukaNaija: 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2016
Honestly I consider myself an atheist going by the definition . It says atheism is the lack of belief in God . Belief is the confidence in the truth of something without proof . I have confidence in the reality of God's existence and I have proof so it makes me an Atheist . If you contravene my logic , then you have to accept that Atheism is actually the belief that there is no God .

3 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukaNaija: 7:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
4kings:

Bill gate is an agnostic atheist, not a religious guy.

Bill Gates is not an atheist of whatever type . Irreligiousity =! atheism . Having no religion does not make you an atheist . Bill Gate is most likely a deist . "It makes sense to believe in God" as he puts it .
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by 4kings: 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Bill Gates is not an atheist of whatever type . Irreligiousity =! atheism . Having no religion does not make you an atheist . Bill Gate is most likely a deist . "It makes sense to believe in God" as he puts it .
Aye aye captain

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by finofaya: 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
100% Nigerian. I realised I was an atheist after someone described my worldview as secular humanism and I went to read up on the topic. Your friend is just clutching at straws.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 8:08pm On Aug 03, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Bill Gates is not an atheist . This is like the third time I'm telling you this . Its like you are repeating it to assure yourself He is one . He is not an atheist and will never be.
He used to be nonreligious until he married his catholic wife. Now he talks with both sides of his mouth.

So are you a gnostic atheist?
There is no real difference between the types of atheists. We all agree that there is virtually no good evidence for the existence of any God. The probability that any God exists is very very low, but not zero. Gnostic vs agnostic atheism is a matter of style, not substance. Even Richard Dawkins won't say he's 100% sure.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by KingEbukaNaija: 8:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
Seun:
He used to be nonreligious until he married his catholic wife. Now he talks with both sides of his mouth.

He is most likely a deist . Deists are nonreligious .

There is no real difference between the types of atheists. We all agree that there is virtually no good evidence for the existence of any God. The probability that any God exists is very very low, but not zero. Gnostic vs agnostic atheism is a matter of style, not substance. Even Richard Dawkins won't say he's 100% sure.

We Christians have accessed the kind of evidence you want to support God's existence and come on its ludicrous . You cannot subject a supernatural being to any scientific observation .

So since you are clearly not 100 percent certain , will you recant your unbelief in God if you discover your kind of evidence that proves His existence ?

1 Like

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 03, 2016
By the. time most of these dumb atheist close their eyes, i hope wen they see the Lord Jesus Christ, dey wont feel disappointed after.letting the Devil trick them with atheism...

Even the wickedest man ever lived, Aleister Crowley believed in God and was sorry over his wrongful life after all his atheism and sadomaso lifestyle ....

Anton Lavey the founder of the Church of satan, wept at his death bed...

Shun Atheism, Believe in the Lord Jesus and be saved from God's coming wrath.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by bolt000(m): 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2016
smiley
Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by ValentineMary(m): 9:26pm On Aug 03, 2016
GrizzlyBear:
My friend, confidently proposed, that there is hardly any fulled blooded, 100% Nigerian, living in Nigeria,( and I'll explain the meaning of this phrase later on), that is an atheist. And as a reply to that, I happily told him I knew lots of 100% Nigerians on Nairaland who are Atheists. But his reply to this surprised me. He said that non of the Atheists on NL are 100% Nigerians.

Cc

Seun, Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , hoefullandlord , weah96 , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, unclesnr, thebrightest hahn LoJ plaetton otemanuduno sleekAfonja omenka Tonyebarcanista TomHagen NgeneUkwenu Holargyde EBLABOR AnakinSkywalker AnonyNymous joseph1013
This is funny. Am 100% Nigerian and am atheist. Most atheist on this forum are also 100% Nigerians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2016
I'm 100% Nigerian. I'm 100% atheist. Quote me anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by TomHagen: 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2016
Richard Dawkins in his book 'The God Delusion' created a scale to measure levels of atheism. The scale ran from one to seven; one being absolute certainty that there is a God and seven being absolute certainty that there is no God (100% atheism). He rated himself six and said he would be suprised to find number seven atheists... I believe that faith would be required to be 100% atheist as 'absence of evidence' cannot be evidence of absence.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? by urahara(m): 9:56pm On Aug 03, 2016
johnydon22:

Ditto

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is Sin? / Rccg Sunday School, 23 April 2017 / God knows I love Frank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.