Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,920 members, 7,821,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads (3560 Views)

My Adorable Niece Paying Rapt Attention To Her Ipad With Legs Crossed. Photo / How Does A Husband Cope With A Wife Who Gives More Attention To The Kids / 'my Husband Has Attention Each Time He Carries Our Daughters On His Lap' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by EfemenaXY: 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2016
I think with the recent influx of scamming threads being created on nland, a lot of people will agree that something drastic needs to be done. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against helping people in genuine need, but totally against opportunists taking advantage of others for their own personal gains. I made a post in response to the thread created by the questionable character called HumbledByFaith which I'm reposting here, albeit some slight modifications:

Looks like we've got some corporate scammers trying it out with bolder moves. So the modus operandi now is:

1. Identity Theft: Get as many personal details as possible, preferably of female university students. Name, student ID, course, department, faculty, year of study, and a few receipts to boost your claim.

2. Cook up a heart wrenching story about dead parents, wicked family members, and spice it up with threats of suicide. Play the humble, suffering victim never responding to direct attacks, but respond with the standard response of I pray you don't go through what I'm experiencing.

3. Request for front page coverage. In the meantime, ramp up the heat by ensuring e-fights between posters. The nastier, the better.

4. Create several monikers, one per stolen identity and post in high traffic sections.

5. Be sure to create several aliases claiming to be "friends" of the sob story thread creators. Take it one step further by pretentious claims of having verified the "plight(s)" to be true.

6. Pretend you're more interested in prayers than financial assistance when asked. Be sure to "reluctantly" accept any money when pressured.

7. Fold arms, sit back, and watch the entertaining cat fights with a chilled bottle of Coke. An increase in the number of fights is directly proportional to the prospective number of magas paying out.

8. Laugh all the way to the bank. Life can be so easy, can't it?

Seun: I think a lot of people on here, including those who've been a victim of online scammers will agree that something drastic needs to be done. How about creating a section specifically to name and shame these online thieves? Their scamming threads should be dumped there. Then a stickied thread showcasing the names and bank details of the scammers should be listed, with a corresponding link to their scamming threads for reference purposes. The only people with access to this main thread should be you and the supermods.

What do you think?

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by nanaman(m): 8:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
EfemenaXY:
I think with the recent influx of scamming threads being created on nland, a lot of people will agree that something drastic needs to be done. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against helping people in genuine need, but totally against opportunists taking advantage of others for their own personal gains. I made a post in response to the thread created by the questionable character called HumbledByFaith which I'm reposting here, albeit some slight modifications:

Looks like we've got some corporate scammers trying it out with bolder moves. So the modus operandi now is:

1. Identity Theft: Get as many personal details as possible, preferably of female university students. Name, student ID, course, department, faculty, year of study, and a few receipts to boost your claim.

2. Cook up a heart wrenching story about dead parents, wicked family members, and spice it up with threats of suicide. Play the humble, suffering victim never responding to direct attacks, but respond with the standard response of I pray you don't go through what I'm experiencing.

3. Request for front page coverage. In the meantime, ramp up the heat by ensuring e-fights between posters. The nastier, the better.

4. Create several monikers, one per stolen identity and post in high traffic sections.

5. Be sure to create several aliases claiming to be "friends" of the sob story thread creators. Take it one step further by pretentious claims of having verified the "plight" to be true.

6. Pretend you're more interested in prayers than financial assistance when asked. Be sure to "reluctantly" accept any money when pressured.

7. Fold arms, sit back, and watch the entertaining cat fights with a chilled bottle of Coke. An increase in the number of fights is directly proportional to the prospective number of magas paying out.

Seun: I think a lot of people on here, including those who've been a victim of online scammers will agree that something drastic needs to be done. How about creating a section specifically to name and shame these online thieves? Their scamming threads should be dumped there. Then a stickied thread showcasing the names and bank details of the scammers should be listed, with a corresponding link to their scamming threads. The only people with access to this main thread should be you and the supermods.

What do you think?

I CONCUR
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by opeaceo: 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2016
Nothing can be done about it. I honestly think he should place a fee for any thread opened, it would go a long way to curb it.

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 06, 2016
opeaceo:
Nothing can be done about it. I honestly think he should place a fee for any thread opened, it would go a long way to curb it.
This should be on front page to enlighten people on the threaths posed by scammers and similar threads should be encouraged to shame these low-lives. Op,I seconded.

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Ewizard(m): 9:03pm On Aug 06, 2016
opeaceo:

Honestly??

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by opeaceo: 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2016
Ewizard:

Honestly??
Yeah, honestly, or do you have a better option?
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by remsonik(f): 9:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
I think Efemena is right. I think there should be mods ready to meet this people asking for help or they themselves should be ready to present themselves and valid identification of the problems should be carried out.

1 Like

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by EfemenaXY: 9:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
opeaceo:

Requesting a fee be charged for every thread created defeats the underlying purpose of nland which is to promote a free, entertainment forum to everyone, and would definitely reduce traffic - considerably - which is certainly not what Seun would want, I'm sure.

Secondly, think about it: who really would want to pay just to open a thread if not for advertising purposes? And how many people would log on just to read advertisements they neither want nor care for in the first place?

Thirdly, enforcing a fee for creating threads would not totally eliminate the problem. It may to an extent as you've suggested but a hardened scammer would see it as a small sacrifice to yield bigger returns.

No, I think it should remain a free forum, but those misusing the privilege for scamming purposes should be named and shamed, with the threat of reporting them to the authorities as a deterrent to other potential would-be-scammers.

12 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2016
pple get time
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 06, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Requesting a fee be charged for every thread created defeats the underlying purpose of nland which is to promote a free, entertainment forum to everyone, and would definitely reduce traffic - considerably - which is certainly not what Seun would want, I'm sure.

Secondly, think about it: who really would want to pay just to open a thread if not for advertising purposes? And how many people would log on just to read advertisements they neither want nor care for in the first place?

Thirdly, enforcing a fee for creating threads would not totally eliminate the problem. It may to an extent as you've suggested but a hardened scammer would see it as a small sacrifice to yield bigger returns.

No, I think it should remain a free forum, but those misusing the privilege for scamming purposes should be named and shamed, with the threat of reporting them to the authorities as a deterrent to other potential would-be-scammers.
creating a thrash area for scam threads n dumping the threads there is enuff message to dem, no point shaming , bullying them. up to nlerz to use judgement in which thread is a scam . nlez r gud at dis , we're not dumb. report dem to authorities in 9ja or where ? grin undecided

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 06, 2016
Seûn cannot do anything. If one doesn't want to fall prey of these scammers, then people should stop being unnecessarily altruistic online.

5 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by An0nimus: 12:34am On Aug 07, 2016
A scam thread is ok. Possibly stickied. But then that could make the section, and by extension Nairaland, look like it's battling with scams. Not the best image. I'm guessing this is why scam threads get locked (and taken down?) quickly. Sometimes, such threads should be left for others to learn.

Another suggestion is to add disclaimer or a rule 17 in red bold fonts like the cryptocurrency rule 16.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:

As in...

i wanted to reply you later found out it was
a little girl then I kept quite. ....

if you're looking forward in helping NL to generate
money then you can place an advert...
and thank me later

bye the way what are you doing in family section
you should be romancing in romance section

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Ewizard(m): 6:27am On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:

Dats a bad business choice bae..
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by opeaceo: 7:19am On Aug 07, 2016
carmag:

As in...

and thank me later

When has age or looks determine what section I should contribute to??

What has my profile pic got to do with my contribution?? How are you so sure I'm the one on my profile pic??

Oga, take your sweet time and stick to it.

BTW, it is quiet not quite.

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by opeaceo: 7:21am On Aug 07, 2016
Ewizard:

Dats a bad business choice bae..

I still think it is, charge them, if the thread is commonsensical, return their money, if it's not, spend it! But the only problem I see is, "commonsensical" is subjective.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Ewizard(m): 7:25am On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:

I still think it is, charge them, if the thread is commonsensical, return their money, if it's not, spend it! But the only problem I see is, "commonsensical" is subjective.

Can you do dat.... pay for a thread??

1 Like

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by opeaceo: 7:27am On Aug 07, 2016
Ewizard:

Can you do dat.... pay for a thread??

Yeah, sure I would, and I know I'll get my money back IF and only if, the thread does make sense.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Ewizard(m): 7:39am On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:

Yeah, sure I would, and I know I'll get my money back IF and only if, the thread does make sense.

Get your money back?? Its not of you to decide... unless you are making the rules!

Paid threads?? not even close to being an idea
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by njiasi30(f): 9:00am On Aug 07, 2016
carmag:

As in...

and thank me later

grin grin grin
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by oweniwe(m): 9:41am On Aug 07, 2016
Seun doesn't listen to these kinds of advice.

Siena advised Seun to license traders in the Auto section... Seun refused... If they had license and can be easily traced or identified, ... All those Auto scams might not have happened.

If it were me, I'll ban soliciting for cash on nairaland altogether. If someone need help with job or so, okay.... But to beg for cash and say.... Please help me I need N5000 for drugs.... I'll ban that.

I've gone through some rough times.. No job since graduation.. But I never came to nairaland to beg anybody... And lots other ppl here too have gone through same but dey never came here to beg..

So why are they coming here to beg?

Left to me, na to thrash begging threads and ban the OP for 100 years....

Nonsense

17 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by eyinjuege: 10:02am On Aug 07, 2016
EFCC must hear this
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by sisisioge: 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2016
Seun na Capone o, guy just dey observe.

I strongly agree with Efe, these touts need some serious redress. They must think they are invincible. Also, I think no scam thread should be deleted again, it pays to be able to tap into the perpetual memory of the internet in tracing them. A word, a name, a phrase or a whole sentence might be their giveaway when history is sorted.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Prettiepearlz(f): 9:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:
Really? undecided. On a social forum?

opeaceo:

And how do you intend to get your money back? undecided, is it by also telling all those who are going to comment on the thread to pay a specific charge before commenting? undecided . This your suggestions get as e be ooooo and instead of you to just leave it your first suggestion, you keep typing more questionable and funny suggestions cheesy. grin
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by izzou(m): 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2016
opeaceo:

Am very sure you are joking?

grin

Very funny babe grin grin

Pay for what?.. .... angry

No talk am again abeg cool

3 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by thorpido(m): 6:20pm On Aug 08, 2016
I agree those threads should not be deleted but a section created for them and such threads brought to front page once in a while so everyone sees them.Eventually,there will be a need for law enforcement agents to get involved.

@Oweniwe,I wouldn't agree on a total ban of soliciting for help(and cash) on this forum.There are people who genuinely need help and sometimes they may not be able to get that help offline.I have such case here and created a thread because of her.
I just think people should observe due diligence before sending money to anyone.There should be a scrutiny and the case verified before any exchange of cash.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by oweniwe(m): 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2016
thorpido:

@Oweniwe,I wouldn't agree on a total ban of soliciting for help(and cash) on this forum.There are people who genuinely need help and sometimes they may not be able to get that help offline.I have such case here and created a thread because of her.
I just think people should observe due diligence before sending money to anyone.There should be a scrutiny and the case verified before any exchange of cash.

TEHN 's thread is there nah.... Anyone that needs help can go there to state his/her case.

Or suggest to Seun to create a child board for "beg threads".

Anyone who needs help or want to help can go there go do whatever they wish. grin

2 Likes

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by Acidosis(m): 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2016
Scammers are here to stay.

As long as we have scammers on the street of Nigeria, they will always find their way to Nairaland.

Again, whoever condemns Nairaland because of a longstanding Nigerian issue is only acting ignorantly. Scammers are on Facebook, they are everywhere. They go with the name "custom car auction", and I don't remember Mark placing a ban on Nigerians.

Buyers, donors are solely responsible for their actions. I do not think Seun has control over emotional threads.

My only suggestion to Seun is to ban the idea of shouting lala.. all over the forum with the aim to get a wider susceptible and perturbed audience. Front page threads mean a lot to people who only come here to read. Placing a stup!d thread on the front-page is as good as saying, "Nairalanders come and donate your money, I've confirmed the OP's course to be real and true."

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by baby124: 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
EfemenaXY:

5. Be sure to create several aliases claiming to be "friends" of the sob story thread creators. Take it one step further by pretentious claims of having verified the "plight(s)" to be true.

Seun: I think a lot of people on here, including those who've been a victim of online scammers will agree that something drastic needs to be done. How about creating a section specifically to name and shame these online thieves? Their scamming threads should be dumped there. Then a stickied thread showcasing the names and bank details of the scammers should be listed, with a corresponding link to their scamming threads for reference purposes. The only people with access to this main thread should be you and the supermods.

What do you think?
The ones asking for help should be directed to TeHN if I have the name right, for confirmation. The other ones creating false super story threads cannot be avoided.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by thorpido(m): 10:31pm On Aug 08, 2016
oweniwe:

TEHN 's thread is there nah.... Anyone that needs help can go there to state his/her case.

Or suggest to Seun to create a child board for "beg threads".

Anyone who needs help or want to help can go there go do whatever they wish. grin
they can be directed to TeHN then.
Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by fretfingers: 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2016
opeaceo:

Lol... Young lady, a fee would as a matter of fact encourage more scammers... Y? Cause tell me how much seun would charge them that wouldn't be affordable (1kobo, 2kobo or 5naira may be)?

Secondly, when you open a thread you have that mindset that the OP paid for it hence, you will believe most (if not all) of the things he/she says, well assuming we all see it from ur perspective/POV.

Thirdly, forget about good threads, why? Because why would I want to share my knowledge or expertise in a field on NL when I will be required to pay before I can tutor people (seriously?) when I can as well go on other social platforms and share freely... Guess what would happen--yeah u guessed right--- all threads would be ads cause to open a thread may be cheaper than putting up ads on NL.. So why pay for ads when I can open a thread and interact with so many people... Lol I will jst advertise soap one week then advertise wristwatches n shoes the next...

Lol.. I hope with this few(kinda exaggerated) points of mine av been able to convince n not to confuse you that paying before opening threads on a forum as NL aint d way forward to curbing scam/scammers..

Regards.

1 Like

Re: For Seun's Attention: Scamming Threads by jaybee3(m): 2:15pm On Aug 10, 2016
remsonik:
I think Efemena is right. I think there should be mods ready to meet this people asking for help or they themselves should be ready to present themselves and valid identification of the problems should be carried out.

That's the common sense approach

PLUS

People should embed the understanding of not being able to help everyone into their decision making process. That will hopefully help safeguard oneself from the obvious scammers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

... / I Am Having Second Thoughts Concerning My Wedding / Housemaid Arrested For Raping Employer's 14 Year Old Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.