Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (672331 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:57am On Jan 05, 2017
Solonzo17:
Happy new year to everybody ,my profound appreciation to the guru that is keeping this alive
Pls oo I need GRE material ,i need help thanks in advance

This has been posted several times , in the future the quickest way is to use the search button on top

For GRE materials: send a blank mail to selfstudy360@gmail.com or selfstudy.version2@gmail.com and soft copies (Pdf’s) will be emailed back to you

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by oluphy: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2017
Bidexluv:
Hello and good evening

I read this thread a lot alongside the travel to Canada thread.

I do wish to study abroad for my Masters.
I have a 2.2 degree and below 3.0.

I sent a mail to a school and this is what I got?

Is it possible?
my advise : except you have a very strong GRE score. PhD is a tougher path for you with your GPA. Go for MSC. Confirm the acceptance rate of the department before you apply. Most US schools will give you hope at the beginning. Getting a rejection letter is a small piece. In searching for schools, acceptance rate is very important but then you might lots of cash and wanna try your luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Solonzo17(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

Go to Lagos island and buy a copy.
Bro where in Lagos island
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by nybol(m): 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2017
USnobeparadise:

From your Web link, I didn't see countries treated different, could you screen-shot please?

Anyway, my post is not compulsory for everyone. If you like you take it, if you don't, leave it. But I posted it for the best interest of this forum, if it didn't work for me, I couldn't have posted it.
I sent u a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 05, 2017
Nice post bro ..
please is it possible to pay the tution fee in batches ..
Like splitting the school fees and working alongside schooling ..
What advise will you give someone with 2million Naira which is approx 5000UsD which is just 1/3 part of the total tution fees..

[quote author=damine post=48448213]I was inspired by warriboy21's post about his school (Valparaiso University). It was actually one of my options when initially evaluating schools and programs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2017
iamwale007:
Fanx warriboy....plz don't u fink getting a conditional admission from ur school or any other school would dampen one's chance of getting visa @the embassy? I have a 3rd Class 2.15/5.0 and am finking of applying to ur school since u Said they admit students with low gpa....

What's the name of the school please ??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 3:36pm On Jan 05, 2017
USnobeparadise:

Nigerian Visa Card with visa logo on it
Abeg which Bank?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lordgosh: 3:55pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

Go to Lagos island and buy a copy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lordgosh: 4:04pm On Jan 05, 2017
bjhaid:
i sent you a pm

Boss have not seen it......buh i av sent u 1
Thanks boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lordgosh: 4:58pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

They simply did not understand how your qualifications compare with a typical US 4-year degree. You should have your degrees evaluated by a reputable agency like WES and try again.

Under the evaluation, should i go for grade by grade evaluation or document by document....In a nutshell which option is the best for academic purpose.

Sheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Bidexluv(f): 6:12pm On Jan 05, 2017
oluphy:
my advise : except you have a very strong GRE score. PhD is a tougher path for you with your GPA. Go for MSC. Confirm the acceptance rate of the department before you apply. Most US schools will give you hope at the beginning. Getting a rejection letter is a small piece. In searching for schools, acceptance rate is very important but then you might lots of cash and wanna try your luck.
Thought as much.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 05, 2017
Iblad0994:
Nice post bro ..
please is it possible to pay the tution fee in batches ..
Like splitting the school fees and working alongside schooling ..
What advise will you give someone with 2million Naira which is approx 5000UsD which is just 1/3 part of the total tution fees..

Don't apply to Valpo with this sort of money. Look for a school that would grant you a scholarship. I don't want you to drop out of school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 05, 2017
DeeTus:
Don't apply to Valpo with this sort of money. Look for a school that would grant you a scholarship. I don't want you to drop out of school.

Okay thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2017
Bidexluv:
Thought as much.
Thanks

The Phd isnt tough to apply for depending on 3 factors;

1. GRE score - needs to be very high
2. Your transcript - if you show continuous improvement over the years (i.e. your 2.2 was based solely on poor performance in the first/second years), then you stand a good chance.
3. Well articulated statement of purpose - i.e. your research plans and who you intend to work with and why.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by femidaniel10: 6:56pm On Jan 05, 2017
Hello guys been following this thread nd I must say u guys are great. Need an urgent help tho friends my travel date is on d 13th nd my destination is new york actually going 4 my masters in the state university of new york binghamton problem is I'm new to d terrain and I dnt av anyone there I wud appreciate anyone. Who cud help me out here. Tnks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mrsmith11(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2017
Please,how long does it take to issue form i-20 after financial documents are recieved
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kelvyn29(m): 7:18pm On Jan 05, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Why would u think u get denied ? ..... think positive

Prepare well for the interview, you are more than enough resource that have been posted here on Nairaland for F1 application .. with that you should be fine ..Also as someone has corrected a denied F1 application doesnt affect the existing B1B2

Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kelvyn29(m): 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

Come back to Nigeria and apply for an F1. You can't change status from B1 to F1 in the US.
No your B1 visa will not be cancelled just because you applied for an F1 visa. Subsequent applications to renew the B1 visa may be problematic should your F1 application be denied though.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kelvyn29(m): 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2017
anaccondac:
I didnt say you have an F-1, that was an assumption. Why are you scared about denial. You have a chance of getting you F-1 approved since you have travel history. Better chance than fresh applicants.

Thanks. Would come back and apply for the F1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by anaccondac: 7:21pm On Jan 05, 2017
kelvyn29:

Thanks. Would come back and apply for the F1
If you're already in US, you can apply for your admission from there. You can change status too if you don't have any intention of coming back. I thought you're in Nigeria
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2017
anaccondac:
If you're already in US, you can apply for your admission from there. You can change status too if you don't have any intention of coming back. I thought you're in Nigeria

No you can't. This wanton disregard for rules is why getting visas to the US has become an exercise in praying and fasting. Simply come back to the country, as you stated you would in your B1 visa interview, then apply for an F1. Be honest! It really isn't that hard!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 7:29pm On Jan 05, 2017
femidaniel10:
Hello guys been following this thread nd I must say u guys are great. Need an urgent help tho friends my travel date is on d 13th nd my destination is new york actually going 4 my masters in the state university of new york binghamton problem is I'm new to d terrain and I dnt av anyone there I wud appreciate anyone. Who cud help me out here. Tnks

You applied to the school, gained admission, applied for an F1 visa and obtained one... but have no idea what to do when you get to NY? undecided

By now you should have done the following:
1. Searched for and found housing - either through the school or directly through a rental agency.
2. Requested a chaperone through your program liaison who can pick you up from the airport and help you navigate the system for the first few days.

If you did nothing of the sort, what was your plan?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lionlee216(m): 7:30pm On Jan 05, 2017
Travel Transcript.
-------------------

check in started arround 6pm and after that I proceeded to the immigration and he asked me where is my final destination is and i told and he asked me to give him christmas gift which i gave him 1k willingly and he stamped me(the guy that we were going together got stopped by another immigration officer asking him his admission letter, undergraduate transcript and where his father is working and he told him he has checked in his documents alongside his bag that he only needs his i20 and the man later allowed him to go).

We passed through screening and I proceeded to the boarding gate abi wetin dem dey call it. they did final check and we entered plane. it left arround 11pm(Turkish Airline) and we landed Antuark Airport 8.06am(turkish time) and we proceeded to our connecting flight. i was unable to eat the food, so i took tea, water and juice throughout. when our plane took off, i saw lot of water and i was damn scared but thank to God, we got to JFK 11.15am and proceeded to POE, i spent less than 2 minutes

CBP : Good Morning
Me : Good Morning, I passed my customs declaration, i20 and passport
CBP : Any foodstuffs?
Me : No
CBP : No dried fish? Smiling
Me : Not at all **smiling too**

She stamped me in and off I went and i waited almost 30 minutes for my host to come pick me up, Oh boy! The cold na die. my hands got stiffed and i had a running nose. na so i para for my host when wan come pick me up lol

so i went to a store, i bought some cake and a big fanta and i went to pay and the cashier said "four eigthy two" You need to see my fear on my face and she smiled and pointed to one machine and i saw $4.82 and found peace with my heart grin grin grin grin grin.

Na yesterday I just ate good food. i no chop their chicken i ate my food without chicken make i no come turn to Yokozuna lol.

Went to walmart today and took some pictures in the snow as a village boy that I am cheesy cheesy

Lest I forget, on our way to JFK, I was a plane at the other side flying in opposite direction in the cloud and it was going at great speed with exhaust and i was so scared that the plane is about crashing as i was praying inside my heart sad sad. so hours later, i saw another plane with same condition and i now realised that it is normal maybe the same plane i dey is moving the same way. grin grin

God bless America but mehn that turkey airport fine like mad..

drops Mic

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by anaccondac: 7:31pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

No you can't. This wanton disregard for rules is why getting visas to the US has become an exercise in praying and fasting. Simply come back to the country, as you stated you would in your B1 visa interview, then apply for an F1. Be honest! It really isn't that hard!
Calm your tip down. They wouldn't make provision for such in the first place. You can adjust your status to F-1 while on B1 visa. You are not violating your visa terms in NO way

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2017
anaccondac:
Calm your tip down. They wouldn't make provision for such in the first place. You can adjust your status to F-1 while on B1 visa. You are not violating your visa terms in NO way

Of course, those provisions were put in place for special circumstances, not to be used as a way to avoid applying for F1 visas in your own home country. Its a matter of time before it gets shut down, thanks to wanton abuse from folks like you... and people wonder why its incredibly hard for Nigerians to get visas anywhere.

Here is your problem - you are not thinking long term. Applying to adjust status to F1 from a B1 within the first 60 days of entering the US will trigger a red flag - it will be viewed as preconceived intent (unless you mentioned the possibility of attending school in your B1 interview). Even if you scale through, expect to have it pop up when you get to the point of adjusting status to permanent residency a few years down the line. Considering that you have no more than 90 days to stay in the US and adjustment of status will take 1-2 months to be approved, how is it possible to reasonably adjust status in the US?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

You applied to the school, gained admission, applied for an F1 visa and obtained one... but have no idea what to do when you get to NY? undecided

By now you should have done the following:
1. Searched for and found housing - either through the school or directly through a rental agency.
2. Requested a chaperone through your program liaison who can pick you up from the airport and help you navigate the system for the first few days.

If you did nothing of the sort, what was your plan?
To be honest i think your reply is harsh with no sense of reality. How many student get housing before leaving Nigeria? How many students will pay for housing they cant see? Not all schools have chaperon or whatever you call it that will pick one up at the airport. Most of us had people in the respective cities our schools are that gave us head ups and made the settling down easy and i think that's what he/she is try to do too. Because it was smooth for you doesn't mean everybody always have it smooth.

10 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
femidaniel10:
Search for any Nigerian student in your school through Linkedin, you people dont know the power of Linkedin..you will be amazed of how many you will fine even if it is just 2. Also try to Contact your school's African student organization, you should find there contact somewhere on your school website or use google..Try facebook too..If you are proactive i am sure you will find someone somewhere. You might not find anyone here on nairaland since not all schools in the Us are represented here.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 7:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
femi321:
To be honest i think your reply is harsh with no sense of reality. How many student get housing before leaving Nigeria? How many students will pay for housing they cant see? Not all schools have chaperon or whatever you call it that will pick one up at the airport. Most of us had people in the respective cities our schools are that gave us head ups and made the settling down easy and i think that's what he/she is try to do too. Because it was smooth for you doesn't mean everybody always have it smooth.

I'm not sure i understand your point. These things are not rocket science at all. Every school program has a student liaison who typically serves as a chaperone for international students. That you haven't asked does not mean they don't exist. You need to do your own homework.

NL did not exist prior to 2005, i started school in the same upstate NY without knowing a soul too... i was not 40 years old at the time. That is reality.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

I'm not sure i understand your point. These things are not rocket science at all. Every school program has a student liaison who typically serves as a chaperone for international students. That you haven't asked does not mean they don't exist. You need to do your own homework.

NL did not exist prior to 2005, i started school in the same upstate NY without knowing a soul too... i was not 40 years old at the time. That is reality.
Okay

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by anaccondac: 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2017
TWoods:

Of course, those provisions were put in place for special circumstances, not to be used as a way to avoid applying for F1 visas in your own home country. Its a matter of time before it gets shut down, thanks to wanton abuse from folks like you... and people wonder why its incredibly hard for Nigerians to get visas anywhere.

Here is your problem - you are not thinking long term. Applying to adjust status to F1 from a B1 within the first 60 days of entering the US will trigger a red flag - it will be viewed as preconceived intent (unless you mentioned the possibility of attending school in your B1 interview). Even if you scale through, expect to have it pop up when you get to the point of adjusting status to permanent residency a few years down the line. Considering that you have no more than 90 days to stay in the US and adjustment of status will take 1-2 months to be approved, how is it possible to reasonably adjust status in the US?
You need some coaching. When I get off, would come back to erase all the crass ignorance you've displayed so far. Again, stop soundig like a little kid.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by anaccondac: 8:08pm On Jan 05, 2017
femi321:
Search for any Nigerian student in your school through Linkedin, you people dont know the power of Linkedin..you will be amazed of how many you will fine even if it is just 2. Also try to Contact your school's African student organization, you should find there contact somewhere on your school website or use google..Try facebook too..If you are proactive i am sure you will find someone somewhere. You might not find anyone here on nairaland since not all schools in the Us are represented here.
You are absolutely right. Some students have contacted me on there and I was of great help to them.

He should also Google African organization in his school or put a call through to the international office to ask if such exist

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.