Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken (30821 Views)

Nigerian Atheist, Carl Maobi, Kidnapped / Nigerian Atheist: / What If Zuckerberg Were A Nigerian Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 26, 2016
Seun:
Religious People Are Suffering & They Need Our Help

People often ask outspoken atheists why they like to argue with religious people. "If you don't believe in God", they ask, "why do you spend so much time attacking people's religious beliefs?" They often respond by saying, "religious people keep trying to impose their religious beliefs on us through evangelism and politics, so we have to defend ourselves." Atheists who don't feel threatened usually choose to remain silent. I used to be a pretty quiet atheist myself, until I noticed something about religious people that I hadn't noticed before. Religious people are suffering!

Religion is not a harmless delusion. It's not a benign folly that merely wastes people's time. It's a malignant malady that systematically robs the majority of humanity of their freedom, pleasure, joy, comfort, knowledge, intelligence, health, money, lives, and much more. It would be selfish of us as atheists who are free from religion not to make every effort to free people from religion so that they can have much better lives.

Many religious people are not allowed to have blood transfusions. This means thousands of religious men, women and children have died from treatable medical conditions, such as pregnancies with any kind of complications, non-fatal car accidents, treatable gunshot wounds, etc. simply because they are not allowed to accept blood transfusions. So many children have become orphans needlessly; so many men and women became widows and widowers; so many fathers and mothers lost their children. All because of a religious rule that make no sense at all.

Many religious people are forbidden by their religions from enjoying most of the good things in life. Things like secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had to forgo most of these wonderful things? Horribly boring. You'd probably kill yourself. I guess that's why many religious people are violent.

Most religious people believe in the afterlife. As a result, instead of focusing on the current life and making it as enjoyable as possible for themselves, their friends, and family members, they often endure miserable lives in the hope that they'll be rewarded after they die. An extreme case of this is the case of suicide bombers and religious fighters who embrace violent deaths for the sake of an imaginary paradise.

Many religious people are pressured to give a sizable proportion of their income to the religious establishments they worship with. Poor people are taught that the best way to get rich is not to save their money and invest in education and entrepreneurship, but to "sow" it by giving it to their rich religious leaders who will use it to live flamboyantly, and build religious monuments to attract more cash cows. When this stupid idea of "sowing"doesn't make the poor people rich, they are told that it's because they don't have faith, have sin in their lives, etc.

Many religious people are made to believe that the secret to good health and healing is prayer, having been brainwashed by dishonest sermons and misleading testimonies. When they have health problems, instead of going to good hospitals, they embark on prayer and fasting. When their friends slump due to heart attacks or strokes or seizures, they start praying on them instead of rushing them to good hospitals where they can get competent medical help. People have died of curable diseases like malaria because they didn't accept treatment until it was too late.

Many religious people are tolerant and liberal by nature, but due to certain verses in their holy scriptures, they feel that they must be intolerant of various groups of people that God supposedly doesn't like, such as lesbians and transexuals. They are against abortion, which they think is murder, but also against sex education, which reduces abortion rates dramatically, because they think it may encourage premarital safe sex. As a result their daughters end up getting pregnant outside wedlock, having illegal abortions, and dying despite their opposition to abortion.

Many religious people are women, and it sucks to be them because the scriptures of the major religions are clearly sexist. One scripture claims that women must be quiet and submit to men because man were created first and woman came from man, which is rather suspicious because in real life it's women who give birth to men. Another scripture proudly asserts that woman are deficient in intelligence and piety. There are almost no female prophets, apostles or disciples. The few famous women in major scriptures are famous not for personal exploits but for giving birth to important men, marrying them, or leading them astray (Eve, Jezebel). Religious women can't live up to their full potential.

And don't even get me started on the horrible treatment of "demon-possessed" people (the mentally ill) and "child witches".

Clearly, religious people are suffering. Our parents, siblings, and children. Our friends, crushes, and admirers. Our colleague, bosses, and employees. To save them, we who are atheists must come out of our closets and start speaking out; challenging them and educating them.

if part of our bodies were created by stars which exploded.

then how did the stars came into being?

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 12:42am On Sep 26, 2016
exhibition:
if part of our bodies were created by stars which exploded.

then how did the stars came into being?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_formation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
Seun:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_formation
Everything that was explained there has its origins from space.
So who created space? or how did space came into being?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Lordfave(m): 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2016
Seun:
Religious People Are Suffering & They Need Our Help

People often ask outspoken atheists why they like to argue with religious people. "If you don't believe in God", they ask, "why do you spend so much time attacking people's religious beliefs?" They often respond by saying, "religious people keep trying to impose their religious beliefs on us through evangelism and politics, so we have to defend ourselves." Atheists who don't feel threatened usually choose to remain silent. I used to be a pretty quiet atheist myself, until I noticed something about religious people that I hadn't noticed before. Religious people are suffering!

Religion is not a harmless delusion. It's not a benign folly that merely wastes people's time. It's a malignant malady that systematically robs the majority of humanity of their freedom, pleasure, joy, comfort, knowledge, intelligence, health, money, lives, and much more. It would be selfish of us as atheists who are free from religion not to make every effort to free people from religion so that they can have much better lives.

Many religious people are not allowed to have blood transfusions. This means thousands of religious men, women and children have died from treatable medical conditions, such as pregnancies with any kind of complications, non-fatal car accidents, treatable gunshot wounds, etc. simply because they are not allowed to accept blood transfusions. So many children have become orphans needlessly; so many men and women became widows and widowers; so many fathers and mothers lost their children. All because of a religious rule that make no sense at all.

Many religious people are forbidden by their religions from enjoying most of the good things in life. Things like secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had to forgo most of these wonderful things? Horribly boring. You'd probably kill yourself. I guess that's why many religious people are violent.

Most religious people believe in the afterlife. As a result, instead of focusing on the current life and making it as enjoyable as possible for themselves, their friends, and family members, they often endure miserable lives in the hope that they'll be rewarded after they die. An extreme case of this is the case of suicide bombers and religious fighters who embrace violent deaths for the sake of an imaginary paradise.

Many religious people are pressured to give a sizable proportion of their income to the religious establishments they worship with. Poor people are taught that the best way to get rich is not to save their money and invest in education and entrepreneurship, but to "sow" it by giving it to their rich religious leaders who will use it to live flamboyantly, and build religious monuments to attract more cash cows. When this stupid idea of "sowing"doesn't make the poor people rich, they are told that it's because they don't have faith, have sin in their lives, etc.

Many religious people are made to believe that the secret to good health and healing is prayer, having been brainwashed by dishonest sermons and misleading testimonies. When they have health problems, instead of going to good hospitals, they embark on prayer and fasting. When their friends slump due to heart attacks or strokes or seizures, they start praying on them instead of rushing them to good hospitals where they can get competent medical help. People have died of curable diseases like malaria because they didn't accept treatment until it was too late.

Many religious people are tolerant and liberal by nature, but due to certain verses in their holy scriptures, they feel that they must be intolerant of various groups of people that God supposedly doesn't like, such as lesbians and transexuals. They are against abortion, which they think is murder, but also against sex education, which reduces abortion rates dramatically, because they think it may encourage premarital safe sex. As a result their daughters end up getting pregnant outside wedlock, having illegal abortions, and dying despite their opposition to abortion.

Many religious people are women, and it sucks to be them because the scriptures of the major religions are clearly sexist. One scripture claims that women must be quiet and submit to men because man were created first and woman came from man, which is rather suspicious because in real life it's women who give birth to men. Another scripture proudly asserts that woman are deficient in intelligence and piety. There are almost no female prophets, apostles or disciples. The few famous women in major scriptures are famous not for personal exploits but for giving birth to important men, marrying them, or leading them astray (Eve, Jezebel). Religious women can't live up to their full potential.

And don't even get me started on the horrible treatment of "demon-possessed" people (the mentally ill) and "child witches".

Clearly, religious people are suffering. Our parents, siblings, and children. Our friends, crushes, and admirers. Our colleague, bosses, and employees. To save them, we who are atheists must come out of our closets and start speaking out; challenging them and educating them.
sorry to say this buh it's the truth. The fool says in his heart that there is no God
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by HyDef(m): 11:11pm On Sep 26, 2016
exhibition:

Everything that was explained there has its origins from space.

So who created space? or how did space came into being?

Forgive me, I'm actually VERY curious. If God created space, who created God?

A lot of people I know say scientific theories of the existence of the universe make no sense because something can not come from nothing, but trolling aside, I would like to see your view on this. Because I feel the exact same argument can be used for God.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 27, 2016
HyDef:

Forgive me, I'm actually VERY curious. If God created space, who created God?

A lot of people I know say scientific theories of the existence of the universe make no sense because something can not come from nothing, but trolling aside, I would like to see your view on this. Because I feel the exact same argument can be used for God.

You cannot use that exactly for God. Because there is an absolute record in the Bible that he created the earth. Job 38:4-41

....In Verse 4...."Where was thou (the scientists, atheists etcetra) when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou has understanding." Can you answer this? Also to Mr. Seun Can you answer this?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Ranchhoddas: 1:01am On Sep 27, 2016
exhibition:

You cannot use that exactly for God. Because there is an absolute record in the Bible that he created the earth. Job 38:4-41

....In Verse 4...."Where was thou (the scientists, atheists etcetra) when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou has understanding." Can you answer this? Also to Mr. Seun Can you answer this?
You must be joking!

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by HyDef(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2016
exhibition:

I can't answer it.

I'm skeptical of the use of 'absolute record'. There's Greek mythology, recorded just as certainly, but why do we take those for merely stories?

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 2:49pm On Sep 27, 2016
exhibition:
The earth doesn't have any foundations. How could God not know that?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by UyiIredia(m): 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

Doesn't the earth rest on a molten core that could be said to be its foundation.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

on what basis do you infer that the earth doesn't have foundation? what's the proof?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
HyDef:

I can't answer it.

I'm skeptical of the use of 'absolute record'. There's Greek mythology, recorded just as certainly, but why do we take those for merely stories?

Atheists tends towards relativism, and they probably would not agree to the fact that all of creation is absolute. It is not a matter of your perception...because creation was settled and has been before man was made by God.

so therefore, you have no right to challenge absoluteness of what has already been before you as a human even exist.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:
Doesn't the earth rest on a molten core that could be said to be its foundation.
exhibition:
on what basis do you infer that the earth doesn't have foundation? what's the proof?
The purpose of a foundation is to anchor a building to the ground. The earth is not anchored to anything; it's flying through space and spinning. The idea of the earth having "foundations" makes some sense if you think the earth is flat and stationary, but why would God think that?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

The purpose of a foundation is to anchor a building to the ground. The earth is not anchored to anything; it's flying through space and spinning. The idea of the earth having "foundations" makes some sense if you think the earth is flat and stationary, but why would God think that?
Actually its held in place by gravitational attraction to the sun. The sun is stationary relative to the earth which revolves around it** but our solar system as a whole is moving.
But yeah. 'Foundations' makes no sense.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

Job 38:
In verses
 5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Just try and read the whole verses of chapter 38 of Job. A structure does not necessarily need to be on the ground before we can infer the word foundation on its build up.

Can you answer these questions?, if you go through those verse you would observe that scientists have proved what was explained there.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

The Bible describes the suspension of the
Earth in space.

Job 26:7
He stretches out the north over empty space;
He hangs the earth on nothing.

A consistency of science with the Bible.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:

These questions from God to Job in chapter 38 points out the fact that there are somethings he does which Man cannot just understand or explain it.

I mean how do you explain "setting foundation in space"

You can see that you failed in that aspect because from your response you do state that

"having foundation makes some sense if you think the earth is flat and stationary" this is man's level of understanding. Humans cannot decipher some of these things and the same applies to why we cannot question him that who made God.

Also can you answer this question? Mr. Seun Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2016
To those who feel concerned.

The Bible describes the chemical nature of flesh.

Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.

After someone dies we all should know as biology students that the body decomposes.

So tell me how could God not exist if He was actually the one that created Man with such chemical nature as proven by man himself? Mr. Seun

Before you can conveniently say there is no God and then take it as a belief, I think you should approach this issue Via Negativa and exhaust your research options.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by JackBizzle: 4:03am On Sep 28, 2016
exhibition:

These questions from God to Job in chapter 38 points out the fact that there are somethings he does which Man cannot just understand or explain it.

I mean how do you explain "setting foundation in space"

You can see that you failed in that aspect because from your response you do state that

"having foundation makes some sense if you think the earth is flat and stationary" this is man's level of understanding. Humans cannot decipher some of these things and the same applies to why we cannot question him that who made God.

Also can you answer this question? Mr. Seun Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou? 

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 28, 2016
JackBizzle:

There is a difference between A Fanatic and A Christian. You don't just generalize words...and that's a fallacy from your end.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 7:25pm On Sep 28, 2016
exhibition:
To those who feel concerned.

The Bible describes the chemical nature of flesh.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.

After someone dies we all should know as biology students that the body decomposes.

So tell me how could God not exist if He was actually the one that created Man with such chemical nature as proven by man himself? Mr. Seun
People have always known that the body decomposes. Even animals know this. There's no special divine or scientific wisdom in that passage. Also, the chemical composition of our bodies (mostly protein) is very different from the chemical composition of soil (mostly minerals).
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by plaetton: 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2016
UyiIredia:

The molten core is part of the earth, not its foundation.
undecided
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 8:00pm On Sep 28, 2016
plaetton:

The molten core is part of the earth, not its foundation.
undecided

What is the earth's foundation then?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 8:18pm On Sep 28, 2016
exhibition:
The Bible describes the suspension of the Earth in space.

Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth on nothing.

A consistency of science with the Bible.
This was not said by God. It was said by Job. Job was not a prophet, so everything he said was just his opinion. (I made a mistake initially)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by plaetton: 8:30pm On Sep 28, 2016
hahn:

What is the earth's foundation then?
None.

The Earth floats in space just like every other celestial objects.

We are only thinking of foundations because it's difficult for us to THINK outside of the gravitational bubble( so to speak) that we are encased in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2016
plaetton:

None.

The Earth floats in space just every other celestial objects.

We are only thinking of foundations because it's difficult for us to THINK outside of the gravitational bubble( so to speak) that we are encased in.

Cool. I thought as much.

The foundation thing seems to be a religious idea

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by DeepSight(m): 8:53pm On Sep 28, 2016
^^^ Plaetton Einstein and Seun Einstein - I really don't know how you brilliant Physics Laureates failed to recognize the said "gravitational bubble" as the "foundations fastened" written therein.

It's such a pity party to see one of you also alluding to the "opinion" of one of Job's friends in order to exculpate himself from the implications of the knowledge stated therein.

As for Seun, his motivations are understandable. Making kindergarten statements by the dozen as he has been doing of late is obviously simply intended to keep traffic going on his forum in these hard times right? But as for you Plaetton, you have never needed an excuse have you. . . . ?
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 28, 2016
Seun:

People have always known that the body decomposes. Even animals know this. There's no special divine or scientific wisdom in that passage. Also, the chemical composition of our bodies (mostly protein) is very different from the chemical composition of soil (mostly minerals).

Humans only prove what God has established. that in itself points to the fact that God exists.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by plaetton: 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2016
DeepSight:

^^^ Plaetton Einstein and Seun Einstein - I really don't know how you brilliant Physics Laureates failed to recognize the said "gravitational bubble" as the "foundations fastened" written therein.

It's such a pity party to see one of you also alluding to the "opinion" of one of Job's friends in order to exculpate himself from the implications of the knowledge stated therein.

As for Seun, his motivations are understandable. Making kindergarten statements by the dozen as he has been doing of late is obviously simply intended to keep traffic going on his forum in these hard times right? But as for you Plaetton, you have never needed an excuse have you. . . . ?
Lol.
Do you need a lesson in beginners astronomy?

All bodies , all particles of matter exert a gravitational pull.
It's the gravitational pushes and pulls that are largely responsible for angular momentum and consequently, rotation.

Even the tiniest objects in space have a gravitational force proportional to their Mass.

So, my friend, gravity is not unique to the Earth, and was definitely not put there by " thegodidit", the TOOTHFAIRY or the invisible pink UNICORN.
undecided
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by DeepSight(m): 9:11pm On Sep 28, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.

It's the gravitational pushes and pulls that are largely responsible for angular momentum and consequently, rotation.

Even the tiniest objects in space have a gravitational force proportional to their Mass.

So, my friend, gravity is not unique to the Earth, and was definitely not put there by " thegodidit", the TOOTHFAIRY or the invisible pink UNICORN.
undecided

Jesus Wept!

Just where did the written text state anything about the "foundations" it refers to being unique to the Earth? ? ? ?

Sometimes I wonder how you read - upside down. The very same thing that afflicts the religious afflicts you: desperate fanaticism.
It blinds you to elementary reason.
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 28, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.

undecided

if you understood what deepsight said then you would not have attempted this folly of a retort.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by plaetton: 9:13pm On Sep 28, 2016
exhibition:

Humans only prove what God has established. that in itself points to the fact that God exists.

Yeah.
Brilliant deduction.

Don't you see nicely convenient it is?
Humans mentally labouring to prove what The Conveniently Invisible mystery established.

Mystery CREATED the Universe.
Why can't we just agree on that.

I will accept if the Oxford dictionary decides that "God" is a synonym for " Mystery".

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Challenges Pastor Who Contracted Him To Give Fake Prophecies (Pix) / Apostle S.S. Aderibigbe 2018 Prophecies: “3 Senators Will Die This Year!” / Grail Message Or Grail Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.