Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,283 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government (12545 Views)

Nigerians Selling El-Rufai's Letter To Buhari, 'You Have Failed' (Photos) / Federal Government, States N13.1b Richer In December – Adeosun / Tinubu Replies Tunji Abayomi: I Never Relied On Your Advice To Choose Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
plaetton:

100℅.

We should have part time legislators who are only paid sitting allowances. That way, we can attract people who mean well for the country rather than the leaches and billionaire-wanna-bes we currently have.

Supported!

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 5:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
motherfucker:
nobody is saying he is the cause, most fire outbreak an often not the fault of owners of buildings, but does that mean they should watch their house raze down by fire because they didn't cause it? His lackadaisical attitude has brought us to our knees undecided

I agree. The disturbing fact is that ALL these people in government are clueless to the solution.

..or else by now, you should be hearing some categorical statements about the way out

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 6:05pm On Aug 14, 2016
plaetton:

That measure is usually taken when inflation is caused by an overheating economy.
What we have now is the opposite, a comatose economy, where there is actually very little money floating in the system.

What we have right now is a rare case of STAGFLATION, inflation in a stagnant economic environment.

My opinion is that this STAGFLATION was caused or at the least, exacerbated by the wrong headed TSA implementation.
Therefore, any additional Moping of liquidity in this economy would make Venezuela look like a paradise.

Na true you talk my Bro!
.....but TSA wasn't the problem. TSA exposed the weakness of our Banks. They were making money from nothing. TSA also reduced corruption.

Do you know that several parastatas had several accounts in Banks where money go to. E.g. Many of the fines of FRSC people paied in Banks never got to the government. It was shared by the people at the top..

Could the problem not be that we import almost everything we consume in this counry. Eg pencils, blade, toothpicks, paper, cloths ....endless list

2 Likes

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 6:09pm On Aug 14, 2016
plaetton:

Excellent point.

How could there be technology transfer when our government allows oil companies allows oil companies to bring in medium level engineers and management staff from the Philippines and other places, instead of training available Nigerians for the work ?

The government has sooo much to do to re-engineer our entire economy.

Whenever our country dealnwith foreign investors, they think short term only. Technologically, what has Nigeria learnt from Shell or Mobil? Nothing!
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 6:13pm On Aug 14, 2016
jpphilips:

A bankers solution, how about supporting manufacturing with cheaper fx to spur production of more goods?

The government actually has to directly work out our non existent industrial base.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 6:17pm On Aug 14, 2016
donbenedict:
how abt we sack all incompetent heads of parastatals... emefiele cannot come out and say he has done d best he can do when actually he has done the worst. I want to wake up on a very fine day and get to the newspaper stand, take up a punch news paper that reads,

Godwin Emefiele has been sacked by the President.

It's really gona make my day awesome grin

I think that both the Minister of finance and the CBN Governor have tried if it is about policy statements.

Unfortunately, this problem can only be solved when the engineering infrastructure is built in Nigeria
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 6:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
jpphilips:

Looters suggestion, lol, sorry we will sustain the fight against corruption, our looters are not known to be investing in our economy but abroad.
The international community have confidence in this fight hence our ability to borrow when the need arises.

Have you ever wondered why the richest men in Nigeria do not have either a farm, a factory or even an office! They are POLITICIANS!

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by MadamExcellency: 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2016
shadeyinka:

I look at technology transfer in terms of like MTN, SHELL or MOBIL. What have they added technologicaly to this nation. Nothing!

We have more indigenous oil companies than IOC hence why not?

MTN - System programming, network synchronization, data technology etc. have already been transferred.

The IPOB guy that is charged to court with Nnamdi Kalu works for Ericsson in-charge of MTN, GLO Network Engineering hence he was able to setup the hidden transmitters, expanded the coverage area and sustained it until he was arrested. Is it not technology/technical-know-how transfer?

Technology transfer is real.

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by Longman6(m): 9:43pm On Aug 14, 2016
shadeyinka:

I agree. If the Senate is scrapped or disbanded today, Nigerian will not miss their absence.

..but you haven't given any solution to the struggling Naira.
on a lighter note I assume Nigeria incurrs about 50billion naira or more on the national assembly yearly this cash can be used for investment in Agriculture and solid mineral s over four years, that should correct the naira/ dollar deficit, let us give the job of legislation to consultants, let pat utomi Rewane +other successful Nigerians in the diaspora help with the economy, Mc kinsey and dalberg help with development issues, and professional bodies handle what ever part of the society is theirs,ministers should be paid 200k monthly+no add on,apart from petrol allowance.+ -any amount budgeted for security vote for all governors should be diverted to building road or power generation..
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 3:05am On Aug 15, 2016
MadamExcellency:

We have more indigenous oil companies than IOC hence why not?

MTN - System programming, network synchronization, data technology etc. have already been transferred.

The IPOB guy that is charged to court with Nnamdi Kalu works for Ericsson in-charge of MTN, GLO Network Engineering hence he was able to setup the hidden transmitters, expanded the coverage area and sustained it until he was arrested. Is it not technology/technical-know-how transfer?

Technology transfer is real.

I guess I have been rigid with my definition of "Technology". You are correct anyway but what Nigeria need right now is more of Production or manufacturing Technology.

Like, how to locally manufacture razors, pencils, needles, threads, plugs, electric bulbs etc. I am intact not talking about installing factories but almost 100% building factories indigenously. Nothing else will make me happier.!
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by shadeyinka(m): 3:31am On Aug 15, 2016
Longman6:

on a lighter note I assume Nigeria incurrs about 50billion naira or more on the national assembly yearly this cash can be used for investment in Agriculture and solid mineral s over four years, that should correct the naira/ dollar deficit, let us give the job of legislation to consultants, let pat utomi Rewane +other successful Nigerians in the diaspora help with the economy, Mc kinsey and dalberg help with development issues, and professional bodies handle what ever part of the society is theirs,ministers should be paid 200k monthly+no add on,apart from petrol allowance.+ -any amount budgeted for security vote for all governors should be diverted to building road or power generation..

The amount spent by Nigeria in maintenance of their political structure is indeed staggering. For a country that is in recession economically, they should reduce this incurred bill.

Its like loosing your job and yet still maintaining you rented suite in Nixon Hilton hotels...

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by totorimi: 3:47am On Aug 15, 2016
I wont waste my precious advice to someone who doesnt understand but let me just chip in one.

Empower SME's and govt should hands of the business of any profit maximization let private sector drive employment and the economy. Govt should concentrate on good roads and ensure the tax system is water tight against evasion or fraud., power and affordable housing for all. Think Nigeria first and send away all illegal aliens away from Nigeria.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by baby124: 3:54am On Aug 15, 2016
If we don't fix transportation issues, nothing will work. Most industrialized countries drove growth through improvements in transportation. Faster movement of people, better reach of farmers to sell their goods, and it opens markets for otherwise inaccessible locations. We need to take our train system seriously, and develop it through steel from Ajaokuta. And also assist farmers with subsidies, and selling their products on an international market. We also need to start putting agricultural products on the exchange market.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by Amitex(m): 5:15am On Aug 15, 2016
The presidency should immediately send a bill to the NASS to change our political system to parliamentary system. The Presidential system is for rich countries. Then commence restructuring of the country as documented on the 2014 CONFAB report.

As for the present ministers, they should all be sacked. Government should bring in tested hands to manage the already battered economy between now and May 2019. They have shown very poor capacity. Except one or two.

We do not need a Senate nor house of representatives. Neither do we need cabinet ministers. Under a parliamentary system, the ministers are appointed from amongst the parliamentarians with a Prime Minister who is head of government.

The president should be a figure head chairman of Council of States. This same system should be replicated across the states. Interesting enough our LG is already practising quasi parliamentary system of government as councillors Supervise the different departments.

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by searchng4love: 7:08am On Aug 15, 2016
SUPERPACK:
it will solve it. currently the naira is falling due to its scarcity as a result dwindling export profit as a result of global crude oil price slump, coupled with pipeline vandalization by the NDA, meaning that we earn just 20% of our previous profit. Nw an increase in agricultural exportation will increase our foreign earning since they will pay us in dollars when they buy our product and this in will make dollars available to the importers and effectively crash the demanding cost of dollars.
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND.
Unfortunately it's not that straightforward...
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by oyinkinola: 8:45am On Aug 15, 2016
[s]
shadeyinka:

My laughing did not know no end as I digested your post. ...still laughing

You are describing the most complex form of RE-DENOMINATION of the Naira. Which in other words is like saying that the government should print more Naira and distribute same to all..still LOL

After the first world war, the German were required to pay for damages ...but they were poor..one thing led to another and the country started printing money and this was the result

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/modern-world-history-1918-to-1980/weimar-germany/hyperinflation-and-weimar-germany/

Money not backed up by real values end up like Monopoly money ordinary paper!
[/s]
hoo! my God, for how many times i will say that am not calling for denomination of Naira or re-decimal nor touch the real value of Naira it's only market can do that; and the case of Nigeria is far more different btw what the European countries including Germany did after the world war and the case of Ghana and Zimbabwe recently!
what the differents:
google CBN check how many denomination in ciculation today, check your pocket how many denomination rest in circulation? where are the rest? also, Nigeria (₦1) least denomination know to world and exchange market is ₦1, where is that ₦1 in your pocket(circulation)? how can Nigerian take ₦1 that is not in our pocket to the market for exchange to $1 (other world active currency) and expect ₦1 to have eqaul value with $1 in your pocket and in american wallet(circulation), just imaging!
in Nigerian today the smallest denomination in the market(pocket) is ₦5! is this realistic? if will take our least currency to the exchange market today american will not accept because we will cheat them they only know ₦1 as our least denomination not ₦5, now we are killing ₦5 by force if dead, the next smallest currency is ₦10! is this how monetary work in america, europe and asia?
our currency is powerful, i maintain, ₦1 has what is worth in the market today, eg if you can take ₦5 to market and have 3 articles, when you divided ₦5 / 3 = ₦1.66k...eg poly bag, tom tom etc ₦1 fair in the market it was killed, CBN must return it!

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by Eazybay(m): 9:57am On Aug 15, 2016
MadamExcellency:
He needs a new cabinet (ministers), advisers and kitchen cabinet with focus on returning Nigeria to path of growth. For instance, read the excerpts below

The rich (no matter how they made their money) are hiding the cash and are no longer willing to invest in whatever venture for the fear that Buhari will either confiscate the cash or run them down. I want Buhari to apply wisdom when dealing with business community and investors. This is not a time to scare away investors, employers and entrepreneurs.

I want him to suspend public show of fight against corruption and do it more intelligently and underground until our economy recovers.

If it's possible, Buhari should give conditional amnesty to treasury looters (though this sounds absurd) to invest their loot in Nigeria within a specific time frame and this should be done in conjunction with NASS for a legal backing.

We need to put back Nigerians to doing something reasonable with their lives (decent jobs) to earn a decent wage.

If care is not taken, what post elections civil war couldn't do because of peaceful transition of political power in Nigeria may still be done by frustration, hunger and starvation - death, death and more death.

Bros u nailed it!! Most rich men who used to donate massively to communities and all have now gone underground. Someone said d Nigerian economy thrives on CORRUPTION. I mean datz abnormal but itz looking true. Let's encourage local investment for pardon or tax waiver
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2016
shadeyinka:

Have you ever wondered why the richest men in Nigeria do not have either a farm, a factory or even an office! They are POLITICIANS!

The richest man in Africa is a legitimate buisnessman with investments littered everywhere home and abroad, only the politicians hide their loot abroad therefore, it is paramount that corruption fight is sustained if possible, intensified.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 1:58pm On Aug 15, 2016
shadeyinka:

The government actually has to directly work out our non existent industrial base.

Our industrial base is non existent? wow!! so the Manufacturers association of Nigeria are mere pallbearers abi?
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 2:00pm On Aug 15, 2016
donbenedict:
how abt we sack all incompetent heads of parastatals... emefiele cannot come out and say he has done d best he can do when actually he has done the worst. I want to wake up on a very fine day and get to the newspaper stand, take up a punch news paper that reads,

Godwin Emefiele has been sacked by the President.

It's really gona make my day awesome grin

I agree with you completely!!
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by ajepako(f): 2:41pm On Aug 15, 2016
Diversify the economy

Discourage importation and export more

Put incentives in place to stimulate the growth of our local firms so they can export
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2016
[quote author=MadamExcellency post=48468004]

1. Technology transfer

Who does that in the real world?

2. Modernization

Too vague!!

3. Provision of Employment

How

4. Risk sharing (Joint venture partnerships)

Which sector?

5. Bringing out the best potential out of our Local Industries that are bound to be part of their supply chains thereby exposing them to modern challenges and bringing out the best in them.

Manufacturers satisfy their customer base and no one else. PZ cussons can make a world class beauty soap but if the customers can afford lux, then lux it is.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by lakez(m): 3:56pm On Aug 15, 2016
We all prefer imported goods to what is being made in our own country

The simple solution to the dwindling naira is to reduce our balance of payment deficit , the economist in the house will more or less agree and we can only do that if we export more than we import
And we can not export what we have not used within the Shores of the land
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 15, 2016
THE ONLY WAY IS TO LET BIAFRANS GO..... OUR MARRIAGE (AMALGAMATION) HAS EXPIRED..... IF BIAFRANS ARE NOT LET GO..... THE ECONOMY WILL BE WORST.... AND TISSUE PAPPER WILL WORTH MORE THAN NAIRA
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2016
MadamExcellency:

No matter whatever means we get it, No company ever employs 100% foreigners, learning on the job is also technology transfer.

Have you ever heard of re-engineering?

When you dismantle gadgets, study them and think of a way of making it better helps.

It's actually reverse engineering not re-engineering, that is stealing like the man you quoted stated, no sane person in the world transfers his technology, it has never happened.
Again even if you work for a foreign company, the trade secret is with R&grin and most foreign companies in Nigeria have their R&grin offshore, so you as an employer is an instrument of implementing solutions, but where the solution came from will elude you even if you serve the company for 50yrs.
Coca cola has bottling companies littered everywhere, who has the concentration formula of coca-cola even in those bottling companies?
Again you have the issue of Patent to contend with while considering Technology transfer. It is not really a piece of cake. When you get the technology, you have the issue of raw materials to deal with, let me give you a few global examples.

Till the US sanctioned Russia few years ago, all the rocket engines utilized in the US are all Russia made, the mighty US? can you beat that?
The silicon Valley of the US is depending on 80% chinese raw materials surprised huh!!
Adolf hitler got the E=MC2 formula before the US but guess who made the first Nuclear bomb? US because Germany had no access to plutonium even though he has the technology to enrish one, you see my friend, even the countries you are looking up to are actually looking up to each other, the real world doesn't run on the personal feelings of most Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 4:14pm On Aug 15, 2016
nabiz:
For our naira to improve, we need to increase exportation and reduce importation. To achieve this, i think th federal government should build a production friendly environment.

The unit cost of production in nigeria is higher than average in the world and as a result our prduct may hardly compete other product in the international market in terms of cosst and qaulity which in long ruin affect export which improve our currency

To build a production friendly environment, government should improve power output, and other infrastructure

Excellent!! step one, create a manufacturing atmosphere to guarantee competitive products outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2016
shadeyinka:

Buhari did not cause the problem on ground. The problems has been a cumulative of successive mismanagement previous government over the period of our existence as a country.

it is easy to forget that oil that sustained us for over 40yrs was actually thought out and implemented by persons who had foresight, Low crude price does not mean that Nigeria failed from history, that is absolute hog wash.
we only failed to educate people over the years, we bred a huge population of charlatans without reasoning ability, that seed was replicated in our leaders who led successive governments, don't forget that the politicians represent the quality of the people who make up the society.
Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by MadamExcellency: 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2016
jpphilips:

It's actually reverse engineering not re-engineering, that is stealing like the man you quoted stated, no sane person in the world transfers his technology, it has never happened.
Again even if you work for a foreign company, the trade secret is with R&grin and most foreign companies in Nigeria have their R&grin offshore, so you as an employer is an instrument of implementing solutions, but where the solution came from will elude you even if you serve the company for 50yrs.
Coca cola has bottling companies littered everywhere, who has the concentration formula of coca-cola even in those bottling companies?
Again you have the issue of Patent to contend with while considering Technology transfer. It is not really a piece of cake. When you get the technology, you have the issue of raw materials to deal with, let me give you a few global examples.

Till the US sanctioned Russia few years ago, all the rocket engines utilized in the US are all Russia made, the mighty US? can you beat that?
The silicon Valley of the US is depending on 80% chinese raw materials surprised huh!!
Adolf hitler got the E=MC2 formula before the US but guess who made the first Nuclear bomb? US because Germany had no access to plutonium even though he has the technology to enrish one, you see my friend, even the countries you are looking up to are actually looking up to each other, the real world doesn't run on the personal feelings of most Nigerians.

If you care to note, two of my husband's friends that worked in Engineering Department in one multinational firm in Nigeria that were recently disengaged just opened a Nail factory in Imo State. I saw them in the market distributing their products. They are now employers of Labour

That is just one example, I have innumerable examples of technology transfer operational in Eastern Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2016
plaetton:

That measure is usually taken when inflation is caused by an overheating economy.
What we have now is the opposite, a comatose economy, where there is actually very little money floating in the system.

What we have right now is a rare case of STAGFLATION, inflation in a stagnant economic environment.

My opinion is that this STAGFLATION was caused or at the least, exacerbated by the wrong headed TSA implementation.
Therefore, any additional Moping of liquidity in this economy would make Venezuela look like a paradise.

The bold part can only come from a banker, TSA is wrong because the government decided to remove its funds from the banks abi?
What have the banks contributed to manufacturing since being in charge of the funds?
You forget that banks are private businesses why should government funds be there in the first place? Abi na only banks dey do business in Nigeria? Don't you think that Ibeto and Dangote deserve to have government funds too?

1 Like

Re: Failed Naira: Your Advice For The Federal Government by jpphilips(m): 4:28pm On Aug 15, 2016
plaetton:

The bold part can only come from a banker, TSA is wrong because the government decided to remove its funds from the banks abi?
What has the banks contributed to manufacturing since being in charge of the funds?
You forget that banks are private businesses why should government funds be there in the first place? Abi na only banks dey do business in Nigeria? Don't you think that Ibeto and Dangote deserve to have government funds too?
Banks should devise modalities to attract idle funds not depending on the governmnet, there is no country in the world where Government funds make money for banks while the real sectors decay, you guys should grow up and do real banking not whining about awoof money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Egyptian Ambassador, Salama, Travelled By Road From Maiduguri To Yobe - Buhari / President Buhari To Reconsider Re-opening Nigerian Embassy In Sri Lanka / Lagos Moves Against One-Way Driving, Forms Special Taskforce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.