Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? (14915 Views)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting / Herbal Medicine And Natural Health Course / Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by decode55(m): 7:02am On Aug 20, 2016
is there anything in Nigeria that's attractive?
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by seguno2: 7:07am On Aug 20, 2016
Because politics is more attractive.
Who wants to work when you can loaf around and fcvk about with your voters' mandate while they still pay you mega millions monthly? And when you are sick you jump on your private jet to see a doctor abroad.
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by atirolu(m): 7:22am On Aug 20, 2016
RobinRay:
they have unattractive handwritings

Handwriting?

My mother is a medical Dr but she said they where train not to make the writing visible for all expect those in that line.....reason is for self medication by some patient who might apply same drug for other sickness

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by slowbreeze(f): 7:24am On Aug 20, 2016
Dripy:
Medicine is attractive in Nigeria but the problem is lack of medical infrastructure. Even the government of the day is doing little or nothing to address the rot and decay in the health sector.
Government pays better than private hospitals but some private hospitals have better equipment which in turn makes their services more exorbitant.
Government run health facilities are understaffed and their is no effort towards maintenance of existing facilities. Old ones are not replaced and new ones are not brought in. How many dialysis machines do we have in government run health facilities in Nigeria? Even drugs and stuffs as little as handgloves are lacking in government hospitals. These things reduce the efficiency of doctors and they would rather practice in a place where all needed facilities are put in place for optimal and maximum performance.
Till we get things right, we will always have brain drain of doctors in Nigeria. This is why we have many health issues in Nigeria because the ratio of doctors to patients leaves much to be desired.
I went to a government run health facility to run some tests two weeks back: only one person was on duty; collecting money, issuing receipts, taking the sample, running the test and writing the results: tell me why errors will not be high!

My dear u av said it all..Our govt hospitals are just empty buildings with notin for d medical personnel to work wit..Sometimes even common syringe wont be dere,u av got to buy evri damn tin.And not evrione can afford private clinics.A relative of mine had to be flown abroad for radiotherapy cos no single working machine in the whole Nigeria..
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by hUmaneOne: 7:25am On Aug 20, 2016
Mosthandsomeboy:
Irony ryt

Foolish uniben hall3 boy.. This your pix posting very is childish

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Maxvasia(m): 7:27am On Aug 20, 2016
Hehehehe....this man is obviously not a Doctor. Not one of us.
idris4r83:
Lolz! U must be kidding right? With all the huge salaries doctors are collecting you call it unattractive. What is your definition of unattractive?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by hUmaneOne: 7:28am On Aug 20, 2016
atirolu:

Handwriting?

My mother is a medical Dr but she said they where train not to make the writing visible for all expect those in that line.....reason is for self medication by some patient who might apply same drug for other sickness

Haha.. Cmon your mum didn't say that..
Doctors are trained from year 2, to take much notes and to write very fast hence the writings.its not deliberate.

Some have good writings by the way

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ceaser: 7:35am On Aug 20, 2016
Araoluwa005:
and who says medicine is not attractive?

Sorry to disappoint you. As it stands now in this country, a lot of absurdities have come into play that has made the profession unattractive (unattractive is even an understatement). Ranging from intra-sectoral (health sector) hatred for the average doctor to the national dislike for anyone that bears that title, also in connivance with other professionals within the sector and with a few medical elders (CMDs et al) whose atypical attitude us is neither attributable to senility or misunderstanding, but sheer selfishness and greed aimed at enriching 'emselves at the expense of the younger colleagues. Equipments and resources to make you at par with colleagues in other climes in terms of patient handling and treatment are non-existent. You sadly watch some patients fight for their lives because oxygen cylinders are not available for you to do the needful. When you demand the government and even the hospital heads correct these anomalies, they say doctors have come with their wahala again. Remunerations nko? Ah, that one na hydra headed. Even the patients that you have hitherto contributed monies for their treatment rise up against you in defence of the government that have plunged them in poverty. Then you start hearing things like: " they like money too mush". The other members of the health team too rise up against the doctor: "A doctor must never earn more than I do"."What do they even do sef that the pharmacist cannot do?". "I as the hospital accountant is also entitled to health hazard allowance of 5 thousand naira even though I sit in an air conditioned room away from the dangers and health hazards faced by the ward maids, nurses and other core members of the medical team. Mind you, hazard allowance of 5k isn't enough to treat malaria. So how d'you think that'll handle hepatitis or Lassa (RIP to the doctor that passed on 2 days ago in ABUTH from Lassa contracted from his patient and to Doctor Adadevoh, the heroine of the Ebola war) or HIV, PTB etc. My brother, your leaders have served the country to the dogs.
Put together 10 Nigerian doctors currently resident in the country, 80% of them will wish their children go for more lucrative jobs than medicine and if they must study medicine (either in this country or outside), they will NEVER wish the children work in this country.

I must tell you that within the past seven months, 10 Nigerian medical doctors of various cadres, who are all well known to me, have taken sojourn in countries where the medical profession is valued for what it naturally is, without prejudice and without fear or favour. Four in Australia, three in Great Britain (and Ireland), two in Canada and one in Jamaica. Almost all already have their families relocated.

Now that is just the ten I know. What about the multiples of ten such doctors that are known to others as well? It's a worrisome trend, and this country is in deep shyte!

The travails of our Olympics team, though not the main issue of discussion here, is a story left for another day.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Ronaldinnioh(m): 7:35am On Aug 20, 2016
catal:
i mean the working environment not the pay.Its not like what you see in the movies.I still dream of studying and practicing abroad.

Sorry....it seems you don't know what you are saying? Maybe you go to the teaching hospitals and see for yourself. I am in medicine and Surgery in University of Ibadan.
Get to UCH
And start your clinical posting in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacology, Pediatric, O&G,Orthopedic, Community health, Mental health, morbid anatomy, hematology, chemical pathology and Micro/parasitology. You will understand the beauty of Medicine. Don't be outside and condemn what you dont know at all.

Medicine is the only course in Nigeria that have developed in the last decade. Pls mind what you post on Nairaland before you become an object of ridicule.

I wish you good luck in getting your medicine in Nigeria or abroad.

And you know how it is to get a slot in Top federal universities without knowing anyone.

And person can be withdrawn if the person fails MBcB/MBBS in limited times.

Say No To Ignorantic Post On Nairaland

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Mrreed(m): 7:37am On Aug 20, 2016
i dnt know what the op means by unattractive cos the last tym i chekd medicine practitioners especially doctors earn enough in Nigeria. a medicine personnel with msc automatically becomes a major in the nigerian army upon compeltion of its six month training while others are battling with 2nd lieutenant. what else does attractive means

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by idris4r83(m): 7:44am On Aug 20, 2016
Maxvasia:
I dey laffffff
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by MrCounselor: 7:44am On Aug 20, 2016
Really? Not attractive?
Don't know sha, but nothing really seems attractive in a land
filled with people struggling to make a daily bread.
Medicine would have being a mirage because poeple
respect/think about hospitals when their lives are in the red zone.

Cost of healthcare is killing and people who are supposed to hero-worship
doctors hardly care since doctors/hospitals in turn don't give a damn about
human life. All na money.

Not forgetting poeple have being making them inhumane due to lack of trust
---but still blame it on our economic situation. Naija have never being
smiling since amlgamation.

Shy of bet shops? You don't have to visit one, just check my signature.

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ogawisdom(m): 7:50am On Aug 20, 2016
atirolu:

Handwriting?

Lol but when u eventually get d drug from a pharmacy u will see d name clearly written.
Private hospitals do this so they can give u paracetamol n camoquine which does nt cost more than 350 naira n bill u 7000 naira to treat malaria

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ceaser: 8:06am On Aug 20, 2016
Maxvasia:

You just nailed it. On spot Diag.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ogawisdom(m): 8:09am On Aug 20, 2016
Unattractive ? Pay wise

Well compared to other Fg jobs I think their pay is not bad. A doctor on housemanship in a teaching hospital usually little boys/girls 23/24yrs earn b/w 185 to 200k Monthly so dts doctors minimum pay so hw is dt unattractive. A fresh lecturer 2 with PhD teaching history or whatever in Fed uni earn far less at abt 130k. Not many Fg entry level jobs can pay up to 185k

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Emu4life(m): 8:13am On Aug 20, 2016
KOFICOSUZARANDA:
Is anything in Nigeria Attractive?? How can it be when Even the brain of your President is full of Tetanus?? Who cum put this thing for fp sef....abeg seun comot this thing for fp....I take dead fowl beg you!!!
See dz GBANKALA! Na today e start?? U beta go and hustle o and stop putting ur frustration on Presido cuz he dnt knw u exist.. U shuld have said its bcuz of d hatred dat damaged ur sense of reasoning...ANUOFIA
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ceaser: 8:14am On Aug 20, 2016
hUmaneOne:

Haha.. Cmon your mum didn't say that..
Doctors are trained from year 2, to take much notes and to write very fast hence the writings.its not deliberate.

Some have good writings by the way

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by EdoBoy90(m): 8:23am On Aug 20, 2016
With all the many years spent in school coupled with the incessant strikes.

WOW!!!

I love my engineering oooo. well paid as a starter.

Thanks to God almighty.
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Anthony366: 8:28am On Aug 20, 2016
Nothing seems attractive anymore since 29 may 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ceaser: 8:37am On Aug 20, 2016
ogawisdom:
Unattractive ? Pay wise

Well compared to other Fg jobs I think their pay is not bad. A doctor on horsemanship in a teaching hospital usually little boys/girls 23/24yrs earn b/w 185 to 200k Monthly so dts doctors minimum pay so hw is dt unattractive. A fresh lecturer 2 with PhD teaching history or whatever in Fed uni earn far less at abt 130k. Not many Fg entry level jobs can pay up to 185k

23 ke? The mean age at grad for med students in most Nigerian public universities is 25 and that's for those lucky not to have interrupted semesters from strikes and all. While other disciplines are affected by just a few types of industrial strikes, med students may be affected by three or more in addition to ASUU, NASU or SSANU namely: SSATHURAI (Teaching hospitals health workers), MAWHUN (allied health workers), NANNM (Nurses), NARD, MDCAN.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ceaser: 8:47am On Aug 20, 2016
EdoBoy90:
With all the many years spent in school coupled with the incessant strikes.

WOW!!!

I love my engineering oooo. well paid as a starter.

Thanks to God almighty.

Good for you. I think you need to strongly work at ensuring that the absurdities and "anyhowness" the country is known for does not erode your profession. Like lack of proper job description that warrants builders claiming to take up the the job of building engineers, and the government of the day that oversees a corrupt system indulging 'em.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by DeRay98(m): 9:11am On Aug 20, 2016
There 3 categories of people who frustrate or discourage quality healthcare system in Nig,
The ministry/ ministers of health
The Chief Medical Directors of govt hospitals
The health my board.
After the late Prof. Olukoye Ransome Kuti. During IBB regime no other minister of health has made a major impact in our healthcare system. He was able to convince IBB and the was funded that's when the immunisation programme of today was solidified.
Many minister appointed ever since just occupy the position and get their own share of national cake. Lots of Chief Medical Directors of govt hospitals are incompetent administrators/manager of health care systems or any system.
If you say govt doesn't allocate much funds to the sector (Which is true )but the little they get how do they manage it?
Have you ever of medical mgt staff going on strike or ministry of health going on compare to the residents?
The ogas at the top secure their own first from the allocation and keep mute.
When they submit budget to govt, they buy refurbished equipment instead of the new they were given money and these refurbished equipment do not come after sales maintenance packages. once the equipment becomes faulty it's packed up. In case somebody is saying the funds approved may not have been enough for new equipment hence the resort to 2nd hand once. That's not true totally, while it may not buy the budgeted quantity of equipment, 2 new ones out of 6 for example will function longer and maintained than 4 refurbished equipment for a fraction of the costs.
I have friends who supply medical equipment, those who work in hospitals e.g. Med Drs, Nurses pharmacists etc.
What the medical equipment dealers tell of politics and padding of equipment budgets by Commissioners, CMDs, Directors in the ministry of health will shock you.
A Med Dr friend of mine who is almost through with residency program now, told me what she discovered about 6yrs ago in one popular govt hospital.
After her house job which she did There, on her return post-NYSC and a short-term practice in a private hospital, while she was processing her reassumption into the hospital for residency she discovered that her name and salary was still in the payroll in her absence for about 2yrs. The salary wasn't going to her instead, her name was been used to collect money from the state govt. Thats a classical example of "ghost"worker in the state govt health care systems. It's very like the same practice in most state and federal hospitals.
Now many of such former employees who have left for some years either to return or never returned but their names remain in the payrolls and money is yearly budgeted with and spent with those names?
So, no matter how much govt budgets and releases it's never really well utilised rather, it's diverted and embezzled by those who pretend to care but they have other plans.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by smileysmiley(f): 9:17am On Aug 20, 2016
Mosthandsomeboy:
Irony ryt
one dodoyo spotted
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 20, 2016
catal:
i mean the working environment not the pay.Its not like what you see in the movies.I still dream of studying and practicing abroad.
Brother, that is your opinion, don't generalize it. Medicine is very attractive even in the face of the bad environment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Dripy(m): 9:54am On Aug 20, 2016
slowbreeze:

My dear u av said it all..Our govt hospitals are just empty buildings with notin for d medical personnel to work wit..Sometimes even common syringe wont be dere,u av got to buy evri damn tin.And not evrione can afford private clinics.A relative of mine had to be flown abroad for radiotherapy cos no single working machine in the whole Nigeria..

Its a sad commentary on how the health sector has degenerated to an abysmal nadir. The goodness however is that private individuals are stepping up the throttle by helping to bring in world class medical facilities and infrastructure but alas, with the high rate of poverty, how many people can afford it?
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 20, 2016
KOFICOSUZARANDA:
Is anything in Nigeria Attractive?? How can it be when Even the brain of your President is full of Tetanus?? Who cum put this thing for fp sef....abeg seun comot this thing for fp....I take dead fowl beg you!!!
You must be basket mouth's brother.
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by missKiffy(f): 10:48am On Aug 20, 2016
Mosthandsomeboy:
Irony ryt
Stop flooding front-page topics with ur pics
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ogawisdom(m): 11:31am On Aug 20, 2016
ceaser:

23 ke? The mean age at grad for med students in most Nigerian public universities is 25 and that's for those lucky not to have interrupted semesters from strikes and all. While other disciplines are affected by just a few types of industrial strikes, med students may be affected by three or more in addition to ASUU, NASU or SSANU namely: SSATHURAI (Teaching hospitals health workers), MAWHUN (allied health workers), NANNM (Nurses), NARD, MDCAN.

Story have u not heard abt private uni b4 most students of medicine in them r admitted 16/17 some even 15 n they graduate 23/24
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 20, 2016
Ronaldinnioh:

Sorry....it seems you don't know what you are saying? Maybe you go to the teaching hospitals and see for yourself. I am in medicine and Surgery in University of Ibadan.
Get to UCH
And start your clinical posting in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacology, Pediatric, O&G,Orthopedic, Community health, Mental health, morbid anatomy, hematology, chemical pathology and Micro/parasitology. You will understand the beauty of Medicine. Don't be outside and condemn what you dont know at all.

Medicine is the only course in Nigeria that have developed in the last decade. Pls mind what you post on Nairaland before you become an object of ridicule.

I wish you good luck in getting your medicine in Nigeria or abroad.

And you know how it is to get a slot in Top federal universities without knowing anyone.

And person can be withdrawn if the person fails MBcB/MBBS in limited times.

Say No To Ignorantic Post On Nairaland

I understand you, but your response was too harsh. What level are you?
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by SonofHim: 2:24pm On Aug 20, 2016
atirolu:

Handwriting?

Cheiii!!!. You can lie for Africa. There is nowhere in the medical curriculum where doctors are taught whether formally or informally to write illegibly. Just like in other profession, people have 'good' and 'bad' handwriting. There are so many doctors with excellent hand writing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Directs Civil Servants From Level 13 To Resume Monday / TDC A Networking Platform That Can Change Your Financial State. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.