Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities (43496 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / South African Cities More Beautiful Than Nigerian City / 5 Best Nigerian Cities To Live In - Do You Agree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Goke7: 11:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
mandarin:
This kind of news is good for FMG companies, manufacturers and those with intentions of having productive company. With millions of residents, agro based surburbs, and increasingly expanding muddle class Ibadan is the place to start your business, earn decent living and enjoy your fortune.

I often wondered why youths would want to play down on this city here on this forum.I was at Kano a few months ago, Ibadan beats that city economically and culturally.
Have been to Porthacourt, love the GRAs though its a small place but the energy industry makes it a worthwhile place. However come to think of Ibadan without oil, I honestly think that on economic scale, ibadan is 2nd in Nigeria without oil.

Most Ibadan haters don't really know the city well, they only pass thru the outskirts when travelling, yes the brown roofs are there but there are so many places that one will readily abandon Lagos for.

This is a city that boast of the first TV station, first university and highest storey building for many years in Nigeria. As you said Ibadan just need industrialization and no city in nigeria will come close. The population is growing crazily like Lagos with numerous traffic jams all over the place but still a very relaxing city

4 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by ace05(m): 11:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
YorubaFynest:

Igbos, always so quick to run to the mods. You can ditch it, but you can't take it grin grin
I think you meant dish not ditch.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 12:07am On Aug 18, 2016
It's funny how the three Nigerian cities have the lowest income vis a vis population. That metric alone should tell you that Nigeria is a very poor country compared to a lot of African countries.

Also, something has to be done about Ibadan. It keeps making all the lists for cities to watch out for, yet in terms of infrastructure, it's always the most backward. That just shows the master-plan from the 60s is what's keeping it afloat and, the people have failed that great city. Something has to be done about Ibadan.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 18, 2016
What is there to celebrate when household real income growth for these Nigerian cities are the poorest in the continent.
Since when did mere population explosion become positive growth where existing social amenities are grossly inadequate or completely failed.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by lokoloko84(m): 4:27am On Aug 18, 2016
Shym3xx:
It's funny how the three Nigerian cities have the lowest income vis a vis population. That metric alone should tell you that Nigeria is a very poor country compared to a lot of African countries.

Also, something has to be done about Ibadan. It keeps making all the lists for cities to watch out for, yet in terms of infrastructure, it's always the most backward. That just shows the master-plan from the 60s is what's keeping it afloat and, the people have failed that great city. Something has to be done about Ibadan.
You are right. The master's plan for Ibadan as the premier of western region during the the leadership of Awolowo was breathtaking despite his short lived leadership.Unfortunately, the military intervention truncated the completion of this plan.
I expect various leaders who have ruled Oyo state to resume the master plan but unfortunately, there are dread of good leaders in that state.
Ibadan should be one of the centers of commerce and manufacturing in Africa based on my observation with good leadership and the potential is there.
Even with that,I also think it is difficult for a state government to provide and upgrade the infrastructures in Ibadan talkless of Oyo state.
Ibadan is very large and you will see a lot of expansion here and there daily.
Finally, Ibadan can only reach her true potential as the capital of an independent Yoruba nation in whatever form for at least for the first fifty years after which we have a new capital somewhere else.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by YorubaFynest: 4:41am On Aug 18, 2016
lokoloko84:
You are right. The master's plan for Ibadan as the premier of western region during the the leadership of Awolowo was breathtaking despite his short lived leadership.Unfortunately, the military intervention truncated the completion of this plan.
I expect various leaders who have ruled Oyo state to resume the master plan but unfortunately, there are dread of good leaders in that state.
Ibadan should be one of the centers of commerce and manufacturing in Africa based on my observation with good leadership and the potential is there.
Even with that,I also think it is difficult for a state government to provide and upgrade the infrastructures in Ibadan talkless of Oyo state.
Finally, Ibadan can only reach her true potential as the capital of an independent Yoruba nation in whatever form for at least for the first fifty years after which we have a new capital somewhere else.

[size=18pt]AJIMOBI AFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO 2035 IBADAN CITY MASTER PLAN[/size]

Oyo State governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, has restated the state government’s commitment towards actualising the Ibadan City Master Plan by 2035.

He affirmed this resolve at a workshop organised by the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development for representatives of relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies, and stakeholders towards getting required data for the preparation of Ibadan City Master plan.

Represented by his Special Adviser on Environment, Mr Waheed Gbadamosi, at the event held at Ibadan Business School, Ibadan, on Wednesday, Ajimobi held that the 20-year project of an Ibadan city master plan would positively affect physical growth, development pattern and the aesthetic look of Ibadan.

While noting the funding support of the World Bank for the project, consequent upon the August 2011 flood incident in Ibadan, he noted that the project would cover flood risk identification, prevention and preparedness measures, flood risk reduction and project administration.

Permanent Secretary (General Administration) and Chairman, Technical Committee on Master Plans, Mr David Oyewole, said that the project was aimed at gaining an understanding of the current status of Ibadan metropolis, enhance acquisition of primary and secondary data and the development of strategy supporting the master plan from 2015 to 2035.

According to Oyewole, the Ibadan City Master Plan would ensure improved socio-economic development, coordinated physical growth, enhanced living standards of residents and better service delivery that would make the city resilient to flooding and responsive to natural disasters.

https://www.ibadaninsider.com/news/ajimobi-affirms-commitment-to-2035-ibadan-city-master-plan/
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by bakynes(m): 6:08am On Aug 18, 2016
One thing i noticed abt Ibadan while i was there is that,it has more tarred road than even lagos. Almost all the internal and intra-city roads are tarred.

I think the city is still enjoying its position as the Capital of Western region back in the 60's.
Many infrastructures was built by the govt of the first republic, if only the present crop of leaders can consolidate on these infrastructures .I think Ajumobi has tried anyway, the city has done well since he got in better than Ladoja and Akala.

Proudly Omo Yoruba!

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Longman6(m): 6:36am On Aug 18, 2016
Jalubarika:
Ibadan shouldn't be on this List. I'm presently in Ibadan and I'm pissed.
1. The Literacy level is not encouraging .
2. So much pressure on the infrastructures, e.g. Olorunsogo--Amuloko axis.
3. The pictures representing Ibadan on this thread had been existing even before my Dad was born. Mapo Hall and Ibá Mapo
4. Ibadan is not fast growing because religion has crippled their reasoning for Development. They look contented without development, so what the need?
Many Ibadan guys on NL can attest to this.
Note; I'm from Ibadan
Brother the index been measured here isn't literacy or infrastructure development but consumer spending, meaning this is one of the cities with the highest growth level in consumers purchasing power,
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by seguntijan(m): 7:42am On Aug 18, 2016
"When the leadership and people of Lagos swore after the war that every Igbo who left his property due to the war must get it back on return, and Chief Adeniran Ogunsanya ( Enyi Ndi Igbo) drove that project, they simply made a statement you cannot argue against and that statement was that - "Come to Lagos, you can make it your home away from home", that statement was deep. I was there during the burial of Chief Adeniran Ogunsanya and prominent Igbo entrepreneurs like Chief Augustine Ilodibe ( Ekene Dili Chukwu), Chief Chidi Anyanegbu ( Chisco), Chief Victor Obianodo, and leaders of Market Unions from Idumota to Alaba, all gave testimonies the help they got from the Yoruba upon return. Igbo community in Lagos literally took charge of Adeniran Ogunsanya's burial.....it was not for nothing that he helped formed the NPP, and insisted Zik should come and become its leader, which led to the breakaway of Waziri Ibrahim(GNPP). That singular decision to protect Igbo property in Lagos was far deeper than we thought, and Igbos came in droves.And inspite of provisional skirmishes that happen in every society in the world where ethnicity is an issue, Igbo have been very much at home in Lagos over the last 45 years. Can you contrast it with what happened elsewhere? There is a thing called hospitality, its opposite is inhospitable. Lagos ensured outsiders felt at home, and in feeling at home, they invested, built and expanded, and believed that they are Lagosians too... Their hospitality complemented whatever advantage the presence of the federal capital brought to them, and helped to create a megalopolis... Oil money might have built the bridges, the ports, airports and flyovers.....but oil money did not build the hospitable spirit... That may look like unconscious efforts to you, but it was not.It is work. All over the world, hospitable societies grow bigger and faster than those who are aggressively less accommodating. Look at Dubai and co....that is what they are doing, opening their arms wide welcoming the world, because they know that capital goes where the people feel more at home. That was what led to the renaissance of London as a global financial centre, even when Britain ceased being a manufacturing economy.....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 8:14am On Aug 18, 2016
@segutijan That yoruba lagosian tolerance for u just as deji of akure,alake of egba and others so also eleko of eko allow the ndigbo title in his cheiftaincy,but u just mention igbo communities in lagos,u are sound hilarious i dare u to mention one and discribe it location?

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 8:37am On Aug 18, 2016
Shym3xx:

have you been to ibadan before? If you haven't, shut the fhuck up and move along.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 8:41am On Aug 18, 2016
bakynes:
One thing i noticed abt Ibadan while i was there is that,it has more tarred road than even lagos. Almost all the internal and intra-city roads are tarred.

I think the city is still enjoying its position as the Capital of Western region back in the 60's.
Many infrastructures was built by the govt of the first republic, if only the present crop of leaders can consolidate on these infrastructures .I think Ajumobi has tried anyway, the city has done well since he got in better than Ladoja and Akala.

Proudly Omo Yoruba!
exactly.

I told someone sometimes ago that 95% of state roads on Oyo state are tarred and 70 % percent dualized .. He said Na lie

You hardly see untarred road in ibadan.. And ajimobi really tried with his dualization in first term.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 8:58am On Aug 18, 2016
lokoloko84:

You don't even need to look too deep to know Ibadan is living on its past glory of capital of the old western region and its growth has stagnated since the 60s. Hence I always take a dig at the city and its people whenever I've the opportunity to. I'm averse to the consciousness of the people and they need to do better and make better choices when it comes to picking their leaders.

Folks can't keep blaming the military era forever...they've had the opportunity to vote for decent leaders in the last 17 years, how they have refused to pick good leaders? Or is there a dearth of good leaders in Ibadan? If they can't find any good leader from Ibadan, since the city is more or less a no man's land when it comes to and a conglomerate of all Yorubas, why can't they import decent leaders from other Yoruba states?

The biggest problem with Ibadan is poor leadership and, the backwardness of the people is also part of the problem. Even within Nigeria, Ibadan ought to have been better than it's today, despite the size, if they had successive decent leaders. No excuse whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 9:01am On Aug 18, 2016
MutantMetahuman:
have you been to ibadan before? If you haven't, shut the fhuck up and move along.

Lol, shut ya gob, idiotic amala eater. grin

Ibadan is a disgrace to all Yorubas all over the world.

For a city like that to have stagnated since the 60s, it shows how effed up you Ibadan folks are. Even other Yoruba states that were never the capital of the old western region, with no master-plan look far more modern than Ibadan. Heck, Ekiti that's a pretty young state is far more modern than Ibadan.

I bet you've overdosed on too much amala to see that, you clown. grin
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by tundexijim(m): 9:12am On Aug 18, 2016
Shym3xx:

For a city like that to have stagnated since the 60s, it shows how effed up you Ibadan folks are. Even other Yoruba states that were never the capital of the old western region, with no master-plan look far more modern than Ibadan. Heck, Ekiti that's a pretty young state is far more modern than Ibadan.

Where was the capital of the old eastern region?
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 9:15am On Aug 18, 2016
Shym3xx:

Another ill outburst from an ill mannered ipob yoot, every yoruba will stand out for ibadan, most of us here aren't ibadanian i for example am from ikorodu lagos.But i love ibadan,and so every other yoruba with open mind.Ibadan is a city every yoruba is attach to so it not a disgrace.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 9:19am On Aug 18, 2016
[s]
Shym3xx:

[/s]okay troll.
We have seen you.

Now run along.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 9:21am On Aug 18, 2016
Henrydone:
Another ill outburst from an ill mannered ipob yoot, every yoruba will stand out for ibadan, most of us here aren't ibadanian i for example am from ikorodu lagos.But i love ibadan,and so every other yoruba with open mind.Ibadan is a city every yoruba is attach to so it not a disgrace.

Shut ya yob, I'm more Yoruba than you, you slob.

Choke on my post - the truth is bitter. grin

Ibadan is an utter disgrace. Do better, muthaphuckas.

Is Awolowo the only person who can fix Ibadan? He died over 30 years ago, yet no decent progress has been made there despite the fact that it had so many firsts. What a disgrace!
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 9:22am On Aug 18, 2016
MutantMetahuman:
[s][/s]okay troll.
We have seen you.

Now run along.

Lol, troll calling someone a troll, what a dyckhead with amala for brain matter. grin

How about post under ya real handle like I'm doing, you muppet.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 9:23am On Aug 18, 2016
tundexijim:

I don't give a shyte about no Eastern region.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 9:39am On Aug 18, 2016
[s]
Shym3xx:

Lol, troll calling someone a troll, what a dyckhead with amala for brain matter. grin

How about post under ya real handle like I'm doing, you muppet.
[/s]
K

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 9:39am On Aug 18, 2016
tundexijim:

Northern Nigeria---Kaduna Eastern Nigeria---Enugu Western Nigeria---Ibadan Mid Western province---Calabar.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 9:48am On Aug 18, 2016
MutantMetahuman:
[s][/s]
K

Lol.

Pathetic puerile troll, shouldn't you be trolling amala, rather than disturbing higher minds with ya infantile noise?

What a jobless heifer. grin
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 9:49am On Aug 18, 2016
Henrydone:
don't engage the clownish ediot..

He trolls for a living grin

Just ignore

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 9:51am On Aug 18, 2016
[s]
Shym3xx:

Lol.

Pathetic puerile troll, shouldn't you be trolling amala, rather than disturbing higher minds with ya infantile noise?

What a jobless heifer. grin
[/s]k

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Tundeobama(m): 9:53am On Aug 18, 2016
Northern Nigeria---Kaduna Eastern Nigeria---Enugu Western Nigeria---Ibadan Mid Western province---Calabar.
all this city non can withstand the economic growth of ibadan which has more industry than all this state and human resources professional am not a native of ibadan but I salute the state without oil and no port no federal project concentration.Large population and still doing well because it invested in education early one thing I notice about it is the always make some project standout.Ibadan mall and premier hotel are nice edifice for a state without oil.
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by enjoy1100: 9:55am On Aug 18, 2016
one way or the another you will will feel the change...i was looking to see Lagos Onisha and Aba
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Shym3xx: 10:10am On Aug 18, 2016
MutantMetahuman:
[s][/s]k

Lol. You know who ya boss is, not the politicians that give you crumbs, no?

Be a good kid next time and stop trolling, amala mutant. grin
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 10:11am On Aug 18, 2016
enjoy1100:
one way or the another you will will feel the change...i was looking to see Lagos Onisha and Aba
Please don't expect lagos,lagos is not developing it developed already.We are only standardizing our development.Infact where we won develop go again self we dey enter ogun dey enter atlantic. Eko oni baje oo!

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by MutantMetahuman: 10:13am On Aug 18, 2016
[s]
Shym3xx:

Lol. You know who ya boss is, not the politicians that give you crumbs, no?

Be a good kid next time and stop trolling, amala mutant. grin
[/s]k
Trolling boss grin

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 10:54am On Aug 18, 2016
Ibadan is not leaving in past glory anything for the fact That Rome is ancient does not mean it leaving in past glory.

Ibadan gra's

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 10:57am On Aug 18, 2016
Still Ibadan GRA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tipper Crushes Father Of 30 Children To Death In Kogi (Graphic) / Mecca, Washington DC And Some No-fly Zones In The World. / Rare Picture Of The First Onitsha Niger Bridge Under Construction In The 1960s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.