Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture (21209 Views)

Reasons Why Oil Is Not The Problem Of Agriculture In Nigeria / Sterling Bank Emerges Best Bank In Support Of Agriculture / South East Businessmen Don’t Repay Loans, Bank Of Agriculture Laments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 3:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
This is another huge money spinner better than saving your money in the bank (off course you don't save in the bank in this 21st century because you're currency is losing it's value very fast, what wise people do is hedge or invest their currency/money)
Storage bussiness is a beautiful way of hedging against the fall of the naira (value), this means that the price of the agricultural produce will increase in price in off season.
Let us take a look at some agricultural produce and their prices @ their on and off season in benue state for 2015-2016

Okpa(bambara nut) on season 12,000 per bag off season 44,000 per bag presently

Yam on season 10big tubers 500 off season 1900

Melon on season 13k per bag off season 45,000

Groundnut on season 4500 per bag off season 13000

Off course all these prices could increse the more depending on the demand and supply dynamics.
The truth is there is going to be food scarcity next year due to fulani crisis so those investing/hedging in agricultural produce would be making serious money next year. I'm personally investing in okpa cos the maintenance is less stressful

How to invest in the storage
1. Understand the on and off season of any produce you wish to invest in
2. Locate then rent a store
3. Pay for the store for the specific number of months you want your produce to stay( make sure it's gonna land in the off season)
4. Then relax and watch your produce yield huge return on investment (ROI)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by uboma(m): 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
this is very informative.

What time of the year is right to buy the Bambara nut for storage?
How does one preserve it for storage?
What time of the year (off-season) can one sell off the nuts?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
uboma:
this is very informative.

What time of the year is right to buy the Bambara nut for storage?

How does one preserve it for storage?

What time of the year (off-season) can one sell off the nuts?

On season begins from November to December it is stored in an air tight container, or drums once air is not entering iy can stay for years
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by uboma(m): 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
dboss444:

On season begins from November to December it is stored in an air tight container, or drums once air is not entering iy can stay for years

Why would I want to store the nuts for years? That will mean holding down my investment for years. Are you sure you really know the ABC of this storage business?
If one buys by November, how long does one have to store the nuts before selling? when is the off-peak season?
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by oduz: 1:22am On Aug 21, 2016
Palm Oil

Firewood

Kolanut etc also fall into this group of seasonal goldmines
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 9:56am On Aug 21, 2016
uboma:

Why would I want to store the nuts for years? That will mean holding down my investment for years. Are you sure you really know the ABC of this storage business?
If one buys by November, how long does one have to store the nuts before selling? when is the off-peak season?

I was just telling you that okpa can last very long that's all. When you buy in november to december this year by april next year the price begins to climb till november another on season. Presently in ugba benue state a bag of okpa is going for 44000 naira. The demand of okpa is very high cos it's the cheapest filling food in town.

1 Like

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by uboma(m): 10:13am On Aug 21, 2016
dboss444:

I was just telling you that okpa can last very long that's all. When you buy in november to december this year by april next year the price begins to climb till november another on season. Presently in ugba benue state a bag of okpa is going for 44000 naira. The demand of okpa is very high cos it's the cheapest filling food in town.

Okay.

Thanks for the feedback.
I will make further research on my own.
If it is truly profitable, I will pay visit to Benue by the middle of November.
I will contact you then.
Cheers
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 10:47am On Aug 21, 2016
Yams will be out (on season) in ugba benue state by the beginning of september.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Juliana7: 1:01pm On Aug 21, 2016
@op, pls when is d on season and off season of yam in benue state and where can one get yam cheap in benue.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 4:23pm On Aug 21, 2016
Juliana7:
@op, pls when is d on season and off season of yam in benue state and where can one get yam cheap in benue.

You cheap majorly in logo LGA and kastina ala LGA the headquater of yam is ZAKI-BIAM yam market.
On season begins from september to december off season begins febuary march down to august. The best specie of yam to me is ogoja yam, they have here in abundance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2016
Juliana7:

You can get yam cheap majorly in logo LGA and kastina ala LGA the headquater of yam is ZAKI-BIAM yam market.
On season begins from september to december off season begins febuary march down to august. The best specie of yam to me is ogoja yam, they have here in abundance
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Juliana7: 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2016
@op, thanks, how can we preserve dis yam till d off season. Thanks
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2016
Juliana7:
@op, thanks, how can we preserve dis yam till d off season. Thanks

Yam case is special in the sense that you have to work with indigenes because they know how to select yams that would be good for storage and won't spoil easily. Once you have selected your yams are they are kept in the store you have to check the head of the yam constantly to see d one dat is growing and cut it off but if you are storing here in benue the owner of the store would collect money for the store and money for checking the yams.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by corpROYAL(m): 10:58pm On Aug 21, 2016
How best can someone prevent melon in the store till the price appreciate. Can someone apply chemical against pet? Morealso okpa how best can someone store in a way that it will not spoil. Your suggestion will be higly welcome.

1 Like

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by africanman85: 11:27pm On Aug 21, 2016
Good
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by mrsage(m): 7:59am On Aug 22, 2016
Educative.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 9:23am On Aug 22, 2016
corpROYAL:
How best can someone prevent melon in the store till the price appreciate. Can someone apply chemical against pet? Morealso okpa how best can someone store in a way that it will not spoil. Your suggestion will be higly welcome.

For melon they always rebag the bag constantly and check for seeds that are change colour.

Okpa is stored in an airtight drum or container
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Charpell(m): 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2016
dboss444:

Nice information bro, one thing is to store another is to find buyers.
How can someone find serious buyers during those off season?
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Ltrust(m): 6:18pm On Aug 22, 2016
Feasibility studies palm plantation and palm oil business is carried out for a client located in South western Nigeria. 20 hectares will service a palm oil mill. 5 tons of fresh palm from a hectare. 120-140 palm seedling per hectare@ N700 per seedling. Also on palm mills,planting,harvesting,pest and diseases etc/07033097160.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 10:55am On Aug 23, 2016
Charpell:
Nice information bro, one thing is to store another is to find buyers. How can someone find serious buyers during those off season?
There are always buyers ready to buy. People would always eat
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 2:30pm On Aug 23, 2016
Heard a bag of Peeled ground nut is going for 30 thousand in lagos. Can som1 in lagos please confirm this because a bag of peeled gnut is going for 25 thousand over here.
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 7:01pm On Aug 23, 2016
For those who want to store bambara nut(okpa) you could also put pepper inside your drums and use pesticides
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Juliana7: 9:00pm On Aug 23, 2016
@op, can we use any type of pepper and which pesticide can we use(the name pls) thanks
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2016
Juliana7:
@op, can we use any type of pepper and which pesticide can we use(the name pls) thanks
Dry pepper (ungrounded 1)
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
The price of guinea corn going for 23,000 naira presently in benue state
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
A basket of tomato in benue going for 100 naira
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Olayimikami: 9:28am On Aug 28, 2016
I like to be as realistic as possible when making comments and stating prices.

Please state all cost including hidden and additional cost when quoting figures for markets specified.

How much is the cost per modu of egusi when measured? What is the size of the Modu been used in measuring? How many modu fills a sack? Can I bring my bagger along to measure so I ascertain quantity?

If you can assure me of a full jamilu sack of white face egusi at 14k. Will join you at any known market of your choice in benue this week to buy 20 bags
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
Olayimikami:
I like to be as realistic as possible when making comments and stating prices.

Please state all cost including hidden and additional cost when quoting figures for markets specified.

How much is the cost per modu of egusi when measured? What is the size of the Modu been used in measuring? How many modu fills a sack? Can I bring my bagger along to measure so I ascertain quantity?

If you can assure me of a full jamilu sack of white face egusi at 14k. Will join you at any known market of your choice in benue this week to buy 20 bags

I said 19k
Send me your watsapp number so I cn send you pics 2 confirm if it's d spec you are talking about
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Orion21: 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
dboss444:

There are always buyers ready to buy. People would always eat

dboss444 what part of benue state are you ?
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Olayimikami: 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
dboss444:

I said 19k
Send me your watsapp number so I cn send you pics 2 confirm if it's d spec you are talking about

Saw your pchat. Will respond accordingly
Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by dboss444: 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2016
Orion21:

dboss444 what part of benue state are you ?
I'm in ugba logo LGA of benue state close to gboko

1 Like

Re: STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture by Blackkie: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2016
You have the most needed info about agriculture here - storage!
I think Nigeria must have surpassed food sufficiency years ago if there are standard storage infrastructure in the nation.
Nearly all farm produce are in excess during its harvest time and scarce just few weeks later. What is sold as cheap items are actually items that are not stored for the future.

I will predict that the future agro-millionaires may came from storage of farm items. Innovation is another thing we lack.
A cow is sold for about N60,000 up north but here in Lagos it goes for N130,0000.00 Anyone who will device a means of conveying butchered cows from the north to west is in money.

Egg are thrown away now for lack of buyers so also tomatoes, okro et al.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CBN Disburses Smaller Naira Notes To Traders To End Scarcity / I&E Window Records $53.02m Turnover After CBN Lifts Forex Ban / 10 Fastest Ways To Find New Customers For Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.