Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family (2632 Views)

Aregbesola - Governors Not Chief Security Officers / SSS Detain El-rufai At MMIA In Lagos / Some Top Security Officers Are Boko Haram Members - Uwazurike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by floriana(m): 7:25am On Sep 29, 2009
Security officers detain El Rufai’s family members

Security officers detained family members of Nasir El-Rufai, the former minister of the Federal Capital Territory, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, in Lagos, on Monday, according to the account of Mr. El-Rufai.

Four of them, Asia El–Rufai (his wife), and their three children, Ahmed (nine), Bilkisu (seven), and Mustapha (three) were returning from Dubai where they had gone to celebrate the Muslim Eid el-fitr festival when “[the] State Security Service (SSS) invited them for dialogue and held them for an hour,” Mr. El Rufai said in a telephone interview.

No official responses could be obtained at press time, and efforts to reach the Minister of Information, Dora Akunyili, failed. She did not respond to text messages either.

Mrs. El Rufai declined comments on the matter, but her husband told NEXT that “they came here to Dubai to spend the Sallah holidays with me. So, they were here for about eight to 10 days. They left Dubai this morning. When they got to the airport, the immigration officials told them to wait after collecting their passport and returned the passport to them after about 30 minutes.”

Speaking more on the ordeal further, the former minister said, “by that time, their luggage had arrived, they got their luggage and were about to leave when somebody from [the] SSS accosted them and asked my wife to hand over the passports to him. And she handed over the passports to him. He took the passports, and took my wife and the children and they were made to wait about an hour without any explanation.”

Mr. El-Rufai said he was “naturally concerned about this development” which he characterised as a “slippery slope on the political landscape when family members can be held hostage to resolve political differences.”

His words: “This is unprecedented and very strange and it shows the extent to which this administration can go just to harass and traumatise anyone related to anyone that is supposedly opposed to them. It’s really sad, and there is no basis for it whatsoever whether in law or in our administrative procedures. It is just a reflection of how petty this government has become that even wives and children are part of the political persecution that has been unleashed on me.”

Mr. El-Rufai said the State Security Service officials offered no explanation.

“They were not given any reason. They were just made to wait while the officer said he is trying to get clearance from Abuja. Nobody gave them any reason. By the time they collected the passport, immigration had already stamped the passport anyway. And so there was no issue, and no explanation was given” he said.

Speaking on his next line of action, Mr. El-Rufai said “my lawyers are already filing a petition against the government on the matter of the denial to renew my passport. We are filing a suit on that so we will now add this among the reliefs that we want. We want the courts to stop the Federal Government from violating our constitutional rights. I have the right to a passport because I am a Nigerian. [President] Yar’Adua cannot cancel my nationality,” he said.

The Nigerian High Commission in London on September 15 refused to renew Mr. El-Rufai’s passport, saying, it was acting on orders from Abuja.

The former minister is also on a wanted persons list posted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC which filed an eight count charge against him in May. The charges which made claims of abuse of office, corruption, and gratification are before a Federal High Court in Abuja.

Mr. El-Rufai has refuted the allegations saying that they are politically motivated because of his opposition to the government of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5464798-146/story.csp
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by bibiking1(m): 11:51am On Sep 29, 2009
These security officials are just incompetent fops!
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by kayman2u(m): 12:20pm On Sep 29, 2009
This is the country where the good guys are made fugitives while the bad/corrupt/incompetent fools that call themselves rulers are made to reign supreme. God have mercy.
For those nailing this guy, i hope u now know the difference considering what Abuja has turned out to be since his exit.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Rooneyboy(m): 12:27pm On Sep 29, 2009
I dont buy this one at all o. If the government has problem with el rufai y dont they go after him ?They should leave his family alone o.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by emekatimsu(m): 12:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
Most Nigerians (especially the Igbos) residing in Abuja can't 4give El-rufai for rendering them homeless during his days as FCT minister,then he disobeyed court orders & won't mind whose ass he kicked while discharging his duties. I am of the opinion that he should'nt complain or petition any body since the SSS people are also doing there work.
Nonsense.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by bibiking1(m): 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2009
emekatimsu:

Most Nigerians (especially the Igbos) residing in Abuja can't 4give El-rufai for rendering them homeless during his days as FCT minister,then he disobeyed court orders & won't mind whose ass he kicked while discharging his duties. I am of the opinion that he should'nt complain or petition any body since the SSS people are also doing there work.
Nonsense.

Okay, you have a point!
But lets put a human face to it all. If he was being partisan about whose house he demolished, then you people would have labeled him corrupt! He decided to stick to the hardest part, which i still believe he would have done in a more humane way, and executed his duties. However, because we live in a society as ours, this man has been found wanting NOT his family! so why dont they go after EL RUFAI?
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by okeey(m): 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2009
i also support dey shd leave is family alone
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 1:08pm On Sep 29, 2009
emekatimsu:

Nonsense.

I won't attempt to hold brief for El-Rufai but every casual and unbiased observer of the face-off between El-Rufai and the Yar Adua Government will admit that Yar Adua and his SSS goons are going too far !!! Haba !!! First you disgracefully and dictatorially attempt to prevent the guy from renewing his Nigerian Passport when he has never been a citizen of any Country other than Nigeria !!!! What the hell is that about ?

Now his family , to include his young children , are being harrassed at point of entry/exit of our borders when , as bonafide Nigerians, they have human rights equal to what Yar Adua and his family enjoy !!!! . Yar Adua should stop this nonsensical abuse of power ASAP. Whatever one feels about El-Rufai's past actions no one should support the dictatorially tyrannical actions  against the former Minister by the Yar Adua Government . Tomorrow it may be you and your family the Government will be bullying like this .
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by chosen04(f): 1:13pm On Sep 29, 2009
emekatimsu:

Nonsense.

GBAM!!! U Spoke my mind. Infact it wont be a bad idea if his family members are forced to taste a little of the lawlessness he subjected most nigerians to.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2009
Wait, wait  w-a-i-t i !

El-Rufai's family was delayed for ONE HOUR in an air conditioned room at the Airport and he wants to sue? Ehn?!

Has anyone of you ever had to wait at a Nigerian airport for one hour for anything? - luggage, go-slow, ticket, canteen, immigration, flight delay, bla-bla-bla!!

And he's suing??  shocked What did he expect with all the noise he's making? Sirens and covoy and express protocol?

This is the same man who was throwing people's families on the street and demolishing their properties EVEN AFTER THE COURT SAID HOLD-ON?!

E no easy to be a bloody Nigerian  cool!!

Mallam, welcome to the People's Republic of Nigeria!! Your citizenship of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has expired  grin!!
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 1:21pm On Sep 29, 2009
chosen04:

GBAM!!! U Spoke my mind. Infact it wont be a bad idea if his family members are forced to taste a little of the lawlessness he subjected most nigerians to.

That is not on at all !!!!! Those young kids are innocent. Every decent adult , and I hope this includes yourself, should attempt to protect them from vendetta aimed against their father. It is only a savage and barbaric society that would seek to justify terror being visited on young children because their father 'messed up' - according to some people. When we dont attempt to be fair always we are destined to become victims of unfairness as well.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 1:35pm On Sep 29, 2009
marissa:

Wait, wait w-a-i-t i !

El-Rufai's family was delayed for ONE HOUR in an air conditioned room at the Airport and he wants to sue? Ehn?!
Has anyone of you ever had to wait at a Nigerian airport for one hour for anything? - luggage, go-slow, ticket, canteen, immigration, flight delay, bla-bla-bla!!

And he's suing?? shocked What did he expect with all the noise he's making? Sirens and covoy and express protocol?

This is the same man who was throwing people's families on the street and demolishing their properties EVEN AFTER THE COURT SAID HOLD-ON?!

E no easy to be a bloody Nigerian cool!!

Mallam, welcome to the People's Republic of Nigeria!! Your citizenship of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has expired grin!!

Is that what you think this is ? You must not be aware of how Yar Adua vindictively targets those he hates with Federal Government powers. You must have missed how the SSS, on behalf of Yar Adua , were locking up journalist who spoke against Yar Adua's ailing health. You could not have seen how Yar Adua was dictatorially ordering News Stations closed , and the station bosses detained, because he did not like what was written about his inept and ill-health driven leadership !!! Yar Adua has already done worse than OBJ in terms of cowering and bullying the media.

Anyone who sees the big picture will agree that Yar Adua should not be getting away with all he is doing lately . Hate El-Rufai if you want but don't support a situation within which Yar Adua is ,allowed to set a new and unprecedented level of dictatorially callous behaviour. You and your beloved family may be on the recieving end tomorrow.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by otukpo(f): 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2009
kayman2u:

This is the country where the good guys are made fugitives while the bad/corrupt/incompetent fools that call themselves rulers are made to reign supreme. God have mercy.
For those nailing this guy, i hope u now know the difference considering what Abuja has turned out to be since his exit.

Pls who are the good guys?
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by idupaul: 2:01pm On Sep 29, 2009
marissa:

Wait, wait w-a-i-t i !

And he's suing?? shocked What did he expect with all the noise he's making? Sirens and covoy and express protocol?

E no easy to be a bloody Nigerian cool!!

Mallam, welcome to the People's Republic of Nigeria!! Your citizenship of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has expired grin!!

WORD MAN, God bless u, this is the best post of today
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Witi(m): 2:10pm On Sep 29, 2009
Evil now reside with the doer while alive gone are the days when evil only live after the doer is far gone. Pele Rufai grin
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by nethacker(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2009
chosen04:

Which lawlessness did he subject most nigerians to? He was doing his job without any ounce of sentiments.If he had exempted any1, YOU will be d 1st person to criticise and crucify him  angry . Wat is good for the goose is also good for d gander  grin

marissa:

Wait, wait  w-a-i-t i !

And he's suing??  shocked What did he expect with all the noise he's making? Sirens and covoy and express protocol?

E no easy to be a bloody Nigerian  cool!!

Mallam, welcome to the People's Republic of Nigeria!! Your citizenship of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has expired  grin!!

I dnt want to believe dat u r blind to read d handwriting on the wall angry . Can't u c dat d present dispensation is working so hard to nail any1(first class citizens) who raises an eyebrow on hw d country is being govern? shocked .At 1st it was Ribadu,now it's El-rufai.who knws,tomorow it might be Fashola or Tinubu.Injustice is at its peak in 9ja where we(all the less priviledged citizens)  r politically disenfranchised by all these visionless scoundrels calling themselves leaders. Nonsense!!! angry
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by muhsin(m): 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2009
This country nawa o!
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by MUNEER2(m): 2:58pm On Sep 29, 2009
Gbawe:

Yar Adua has already done worse than OBJ in terms of cowering and bullying the media

I'm afraid you are wrong with that statement

Please, I'm sure Yar'adua can never do up to 1/10th of what OBJ has done, come to think of it, a whole President harrasing journalist, and telling them off point blank on tv, It's a shame embarassed embarassed embarassed

But really, his families should not be kept waiting lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

It's just too unfair and unreasonable
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 29, 2009
Gbawe:

Is that what you think this is ? You must not be aware of how Yar Adua vindictively targets those he hates with Federal Government powers grin grin grin (sound familiar?). You must have missed how the SSS, on behalf of Yar Adua , were locking up journalist who spoke against Yar Adua's ailing health. You could not have seen how Yar Adua was dictatorially ordering News Stations closed , and the station bosses detained, because he did not like what was written about his inept and ill-health driven leadership !!! Yar Adua has already done worse than OBJ in terms of cowering and bullying the media.

Anyone who sees the big picture will agree that Yar Adua should not be getting away with all he is doing lately . Hate El-Rufai if you want but don't support a situation within which Yar Adua is ,allowed to set a new and unprecedented level of dictatorially callous behaviour. You and your beloved family may be on the recieving end tomorrow.

nethacker:

Which lawlessness did he subject most nigerians to? He was doing his job without any ounce of sentiments.If he had exempted any1, YOU will be d 1st person to criticise and crucify him  angry . Wat is good for the goose is also good for d gander  grin
I dnt want to believe dat u r blind to read d handwriting on the wall angry . Can't u c dat d present dispensation is working so hard to nail any1(first class citizens) who raises an eyebrow on hw d country is being govern grin grin grin?(sound familiar?) shocked .At 1st it was Ribadu,now it's El-rufai.who knws,tomorow it might be Fashola or Tinubu.Injustice is at its peak in 9ja where we(all the less priviledged citizens)  r politically disenfranchised by all these visionless scoundrels calling themselves leaders. Nonsense!!! angry

@Gbawe and @nethacker

Is a one-hour delay at the airport in any way comparable to the brazen display of power in dealing with political enemies of the 'powers that be' both el-Rufai and Ribadu meted out on Obasanjo's enemies grin? Abi you've forgotten so soon? Were they not both Obasanjo's Rotweillers? Is Baba-go-slow not 'going-jeje' on them compared to what they did to others when it was 'their time'?

Abeg, its same shit, different day!! Welcome to the real world! When Yara-te-slow's time is up, we will still see another show. Ibori will be championing Fela and Fawehinmi's legacies!!!
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by babzyshe: 3:05pm On Sep 29, 2009
It's so convinient for El-Rufai to complain about his family being detained without reason.

what is going to happen to the houses and livelyhoods he destroyed without legal reason or explanation ?
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 29, 2009
Muneer

Can you please name one internet blogger that was arrested for gossipping on the internet during the OBJ era

Arresting online Bloggers is now Joe Gadzama's past time and he gets direct orders from the NSA.

OBJ was bullish but he was not bullying the media nor bribing judges

OBJ got bad press unchallenged, OBJ lost cases in court and will rather try to prove his case somehow than bribe or intimidate Judges.

But right now under Yar'adua regime, we have seen the use of choice acres of land in Abuja to swindle journalists and those who did not fall in line were arrested and threatened by Joe Gadzama without charging them to court.

Under Yar'adua we have Aondoakaa fixing all sorts of cases, bribing judges to determine cases in certain ways. This explains why Ibori's case can be tranfered to delta but the case will not be used as a precedent to transfer Henry Okahs case.
It is also instructive that on the week that OBJ appointed Idris Legbo Kutigi as Chief Justice of Nigeria he lost a case with Atiku at the Supreme Court.

So forget the noise OBJ makes, he had more respect for the Institutions than Yar'adua and his Mafia Government.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 3:17pm On Sep 29, 2009
MUNEER2:

I'm afraid you are wrong with that statement

Please, I'm sure Yar'adua can never do up to 1/10th of what OBJ has done, come to think of it, a whole President harrasing journalist, and telling them off point blank on tv, It's a shame embarassed embarassed embarassed

But really, his families should not be kept waiting lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

It's just too unfair and unreasonable

No doubt OBJ could be verbally abusive  in a bullying manner towards the press  but when , even at the heights of his brutishness , was he ever petty and vindictive enough to have the SSS monitor the movement of diasporan-based journalists to the exent that , upon their entry into Nigeria at MMIA , they are picked up and locked up without charge and without access to their family and legal representative !!!! OBJ is no doubt a monster but Yar Adua is one also- and perhaps worse . He has hounded pressmen and ignored their fundamental human rights   far more , in 2 years ,  than OBJ did in his entire tenure as a democratic President !!!! Ask any sincere Nigerian journalist wether they were better off under OBJ or Yar Adua and see the response you will get.

Better yet , and seeing as this is the information age , why not email the editor of Saharareporters, pointblanknews ,elendureporters, channels television and Sam Nda-Isaiah (leadership Nigerian news) to ask them who is more malevolent towards the Nigerian press i.e OBJ or Yar Adua . Please paste whatever response you receive here on Nairaland .
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Nezan(m): 3:25pm On Sep 29, 2009
I wonder why Mr. El-Rufai is still hiding?
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by nethacker(m): 3:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
babzyshe:

It's so convinient for El-Rufai to complain about his family being detained without reason.
what is going to happen to the houses and livelyhoods he destroyed without legal reason or explanation ?
wat r u saying  angry ? The absence of law in a state or rather ,lawlessness should not give any citizen the credence to do as they like knowing fully well d dangers they expose themselve to in d coming future. maybe u should ask for the reason y he demolished those buildings.Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that man's shoes  grin
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2009
Nezan:

I wonder why Mr. El-Rufai is still hiding?

Because a matching order has been given to convict him by all means of trumped up charges even for mere driving offence.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by kuramo: 3:37pm On Sep 29, 2009
It's easy to see the dirty hands of Thief Ibori and Mafioso Andoooooaka in the action of the moronic security officers who are under the delusion that the country belongs to them.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by back2back(f): 3:46pm On Sep 29, 2009
this is no news!

thousands of Nigerians are detained everyday.

Immigration offices have RIGHT to detain and question whoever they deem fit.

We complain of corruption/in-efficiencies and when they try to do their work, we complain again!

what a country!
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by samstels: 3:50pm On Sep 29, 2009
Ibori,Odili and co are all walking about free men while the good guys are now on exile.

Naija , what a funny country.

May the Good lord deliver us from the hands of the evil clique.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 3:54pm On Sep 29, 2009
mikeansy:

Because a matching order has been given to convict him by all means of trumped up charges even for mere driving offence.

My brother , please help me tell dem !!!! It is only an imbecilic fool ( and I don't believe El-Rufai is one) that will expose himself to the Kangaroo Courts controlled by a Federal Government that protect and promotes it allies and benefactors , however criminally exposed and tainted , while it hounds its enemies relentlessly for not wearing appropriate uniform at a Police Graduation ceremony !!!!!

Men like  Ibori, Odili, Anenih and Edevbie are blatant criminals. Some of them are being sought abroad. Shamelessly , Yar Adua is protecting them , to the detriment of our image as a nation, while he carries on the charade that El-Rufai and Ribadu are public enemies number 1. I feel sorry for Yar Adua. He is a total political novice. There will be a time he will be politically irrelevant . He should pray his health holds up to any incarceration and persecution that may follow for him and his family.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by kuramo: 4:03pm On Sep 29, 2009
@ Gbawe,

I seriously doubt that the lame duck President will survive to answer for and pay the consequence of his actions, his ill health and eventual demise will rob Nigerians the opportunity to witness that.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by Gbawe: 4:25pm On Sep 29, 2009
kuramo:

@ Gbawe,

I seriously doubt that the lame duck President will survive to answer for and pay the consequence of his actions, his ill health and eventual demise will rob Nigerians the opportunity to witness that.

My brother, you may be right but Turai and her kids will be around. No one should complain when Turai is denied a Nigerian Passport or when her kids are deported to Chad as illegal immigrants !!!! Dictatorial abuse of power is wrong . Full stop. The excuse that the victim of abuse of power was himself an abuser of power is not tenable. We will all be affected someday by a society that fails to protect and secure th fundamental rights of all citizens. I am surprised that some folks can ignore injustice by being cool with how a Nigerian and his family can suddenly be made 'less Nigerian' , even as they have never had any other nation, by despotic and dictatorial behaviour. Lets hope none of you , and those you love, are ever on the recieving end in future.

OBJ , a far stronger and tougher chap than Yar Adua will ever be , thought he was next to God. We now see how emasculated he is today.
Re: Security Officers Detain El Rufai's Family by MUNEER2(m): 5:00pm On Sep 29, 2009
Gbawe:

No doubt OBJ could be verbally abusive  in a bullying manner towards the press  but when , even at the heights of his brutishness , was he ever petty and vindictive enough to have the SSS monitor the movement of diasporan-based journalists to the exent that , upon their entry into Nigeria at MMIA , they are picked up and locked up without charge and without access to their family and legal representative !!!! OBJ is no doubt a monster but Yar Adua is one also- and perhaps worse . He has hounded pressmen and ignored their fundamental human rights   far more , in 2 years ,  than OBJ did in his entire tenure as a democratic President !!!! Ask any sincere Nigerian journalist wether they were better off under OBJ or Yar Adua and see the response you will get.

Better yet , and seeing as this is the information age , why not email the editor of Saharareporters, pointblanknews ,elendureporters, channels television and Sam Nda-Isaiah (leadership Nigerian news) to ask them who is more malevolent towards the Nigerian press i.e OBJ or Yar Adua . Please paste whatever response you receive here on Nairaland .
yeah, i think  i'm convinced enough to succumb to your intellectualism, i salute your experience, but, still, his families are to be left out of the whole issue, especially the kids

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News : Jos Boils Again, Over 500 Killed In Reprisal Attack! / Jonathan: Why I Did Not Attend Presidential Debate / Yorubas Are The Problem In Nigeria - Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.