Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,804 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer (39772 Views)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / I Got A Job Two Months After Service. / My Twin Brother Just Got A Pay Rise In A Micro Finance Bank: Don't Give Up! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Slimflame(m): 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2016
ikbnice:
Lalasticlala and mynd44, please move this thread to the front page.
he has moved it...so cum put ur suggestions
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by dollyp88(f): 5:08pm On Aug 22, 2016
In my opinion,I tink u shud request for a new team u can work with,state the problem to ur company,possibly d set of people currently working there are d cause of bad sales,since u have a gud record they shud listen to u,with a new team u can re-strategised......Just be positive about it all.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Yteflon(m): 5:09pm On Aug 22, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
Have you heard of sales promotion? That's the key. I do tell people that in business, promotion is what matters most. If it's shit you sell, with great promotion, you'll make good money. On the other side, If you have a great product and you can't promote effectively, your business will die. Let me stop here.
Sales promotion is 4 amateur, business outsiders, laymen.. And apart frm DAT there is limit to OP's capability to change d structure of d company,
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by MadCow1: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:
Hello nairalanders, i need your suggestions. I work with one of the leading paytelevison companies in Nigeria. I might not be able to mention name for image sake. I got the job few months after my graduation and i can say i put in more than a 100% in the job. I worked with a team of young graduates and our branch recorded the highest decoder sales ever made by the company.

Fast forward to 2016, i reminded my boss that my promotion is due and he pulled the trigger.I arrived work on this faithful day and saw a letter, with joy i opened the letter expecting the obvious. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I have been transferred to the company's worst branch. Infact, the company had considered closing the branch down last year. With anger and frustration, i stormed into my boss office to know why i got a transfer intead of a promotion letter, he told me the comapny has charged me with a responsibility of reviving the branch after a year. If i do this successfully, i will be made the branch manager. Upon enquiry, i realised that the branch manager was sacked due to fund and mismanagement issues. I have accepted the offer but on arrival i realised that the condition was far worse than i anticipated. Therefore i seek advise on the following pressing challenges because i believe when we share ideas, we help each other:

1. How do i improve sales: The sales is so bad that days will pass by and no single decoder sold infact, you can count the number of people who entered the office.

2. Coperation from staff: Unlike the young talented team i worked with, what i have here are unmotivated staffs who believe you cannot tell them anything because they are older than you both inn age and in the business.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Improve Sales:: Employ Oloshos.. Fine sexy Oloshos.. Your sales will be phenomenal. Don't hire guys o!! Nobody listens to them.

Cooperation from Staff:: You need a scape Goat.. angry What I usually do is find the worst employee (hopefully the oldest one in the group) and fire him in the middle of a meeting in front of others for a very flimsy excuse. They must respect and fear you...

Then two days later, give the second worst employee a hard task that you know they can't possibly meet.. Then walk into the office the next day, demand for the task in the presence of everybody, and even if the person does the task, complain and fire the person..

You have to be tough.. Nigerian Workers only respect tough. angry

Thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:
Hello nairalanders, i need your suggestions. I work with one of the leading paytelevison companies in Nigeria. I might not be able to mention name for image sake. I got the job few months after my graduation and i can say i put in more than a 100% in the job. I worked with a team of young graduates and our branch recorded the highest decoder sales ever made by the company.

Fast forward to 2016, i reminded my boss that my promotion is due and he pulled the trigger.I arrived work on this faithful day and saw a letter, with joy i opened the letter expecting the obvious. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I have been transferred to the company's worst branch. Infact, the company had considered closing the branch down last year. With anger and frustration, i stormed into my boss office to know why i got a transfer intead of a promotion letter, he told me the comapny has charged me with a responsibility of reviving the branch after a year. If i do this successfully, i will be made the branch manager. Upon enquiry, i realised that the branch manager was sacked due to fund and mismanagement issues. I have accepted the offer but on arrival i realised that the condition was far worse than i anticipated. Therefore i seek advise on the following pressing challenges because i believe when we share ideas, we help each other:

1. How do i improve sales: The sales is so bad that days will pass by and no single decoder sold infact, you can count the number of people who entered the office.

2. Coperation from staff: Unlike the young talented team i worked with, what i have here are unmotivated staffs who believe you cannot tell them anything because they are older than you both inn age and in the business.

Which particular decoder,lemme see if I can help
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by free2ryhme: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2016
ask for entire change of members in that office and see the magic
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by nams77: 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
If you are on WhatsApp, reach me on 0902870599. I have some personal questions to ask you
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by DICKtator: 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:

Dude, if you are as good as you claim,you should be able to turn around the business of the branch you were transferred to without coming up here with the factors you believe may hinder your progress.

What i expect of you is to carry out a market research (SWOT analysis) to identify issues that are mitigating against a profitable sale. With an analysis, you would discover areas you can leverage on, and issues you can tackle. Look at the demographics of the area ( what type of people reside there- are they low class, middle class or high class?). . With a SWOT analysis, you would be able to determine and chart a reasonable course of action. Market intelligence is key here!!.
This is the chance to prove your worth and not in an easy situation. Smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by nams77: 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
If you are on WhatsApp, reach me on 09028705999. I have some personal questions to ask you
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by jaybee3(m): 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
Are you going to pay me for the consultation?

Anyhoo, here are some practical ideas

Organise a team away day to address the obvious unease present with your new team. The theme of the away day should be centered around team bonding and market strategy

Open a communication channel with the team and encourage them to share their concerns/worries in privacy whilst ensuring all raised concerns are channelled through to the decision makers

Employ flexible policies where reward/money is at premium. You can work with the management team to offer them training that will help them with their career going forward

Above all, how do you expect your team to be motivated if your strategic input/stewardship lacks positive direction?

1 Like

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Guyman02: 5:21pm On Aug 22, 2016
BoboYekini:
The innocence of youth. You're being punished as a precursor to getting the sack and you still want to impress?
Newsflash: Your boss hates your guts and he would fire you straight up if he wasn't trying to kill your spirit first.
"Go and sell our Chinese pay-TV in the remotest area with epileptic power and next to zero motivation/resources. And if somehow you manage to bring in subscribers, well I'll still fire you and keep the new customers. You little shît."

Nigerian bosses are vindictive tin gods and the only way to keep them happy is to keep sucking up. If you start to get airs above your station, they are understandably slighted and they do not forget. Performance be damned.

We are talking about business and money, no boss dismantles a winning team and want to sack an asset to his firm; he needs to restrategize and find out why the previous manager failed and what made his previous team to succeed.
If he can answer these questions then he may request for the injection of some new blood into the branch, it should be people burning with a desire to succeed.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by DICKtator: 5:21pm On Aug 22, 2016
MadCow1:

Improve Sales:: Employ Oloshos.. Fine sexy Oloshos.. Your sales will be phenomenal. Don't hire guys o!! Nobody listens to them.

Cooperation from Staff:: You need a scape Goat.. angry What I usually do is find the worst employee (hopefully the oldest one in the group) and fire him in the middle of a meeting in front of others for a very flimsy excuse. They must respect and fear you...

Then two days later, give the second worst employee a hard task that you know they can't possibly meet.. Then walk into the office the next day, demand for the task in the presence of everybody, and even if the person does the task, complain and fire the person..

You have to be tough.. Nigerian Workers only respect tough. angry

Thank me later.

On that your (b) advice, i beg to differ even if you are entitled to your opinion. It is only a boss that fires without understanding the REAL reason for staff demotivation. I would rather he settled down and observe his colleagues for a week or two identifying the dedicated and non-dedicated ones. Preferably, he calls a meeting highlighting the goals and objectives he intends to achieve, the strategies he would map out to achieve the objectives( with everyone having a significant role/input to play!!) all in line with the budget placed before him. As a rule of thumb, try and identify what the past manager wasn't doing right( apart from mismanagement) and learn from it. Coming to a new terrain as a servant-leader, you would still learn one or two tricks from those that have been there.....

grin grin grin grin
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by MandingoXXX: 5:21pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:

PM me and i will help you perform magic there.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by cinderellashoes(f): 5:22pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sack one or two of those incompetent staff to serve as a lesson to others.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by texazzpete(m): 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2016
eluquenson:

It's totally wrong regardless of your relationship with your boss.

Apply your own strategy used at your former branch or you engage the company to do promo for the customers in that locality + market survey

Play along with them for a while, if they are rigid to adapt to your style of approach to work, request for good hands or probably recommend a staff to be redeployed.

'Play along' with lazy and incompetent staff? What sort of terrible advice are you giving?
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by emerged01(m): 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2016
Are people still buying the decoder? The decoder is not food people demand for everyday. Just joking!

Do you have Technicians in charge of decoder repairs? Create a department for decoder repair,through that you can re-create customer awareness. Embark on after sales service. Query or recommend penalty for any worker who is not ready to work.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by kingdenny(m): 5:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
@op u sound like you have a lot of energy drive and it's being exploited by a mean superior , close your eyes for a moment, Imagine you have a product, a brand, and you put all these energy to make it successful, verily verily I say unto thee, you would be a successful boss
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Ugosample(m): 5:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
BoboYekini:
The innocence of youth. You're being punished as a precursor to getting the sack and you still want to impress?
Newsflash: Your boss hates your guts and he would fire you straight up if he wasn't trying to kill your spirit first.
"Go and sell our Chinese pay-TV in the remotest area with epileptic power and next to zero motivation/resources. And if somehow you manage to bring in subscribers, well I'll still fire you and keep the new customers. You little shît."

Nigerian bosses are vindictive tin gods and the only way to keep them happy is to keep sucking up. If you start to get airs above your station, they are understandably slighted and they do not forget. Performance be damned.

You are right on that your final paragraph.
these "bosses" are easily threatened.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by ojuolu(m): 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:

2 problems identified. Step to address them are: 1.Do a critical analysis of the problems to determine the root cause.
2. Determine if problem are solvable internally or externally. 3. determine the most effective and efficient solution given the available options.
4.Work with the resources on ground(available resources to initiate a solution driven recovery plan. 5. review your plans and review feedback6. re-strategise if need be and continue if plans are working.
Always pray as you work along with your plans. Remember...Nothing good come without pains.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by saintgwizard(m): 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
Buy and read - Working with emotional intelligence by Daniel Goleman. If you can sit down and study this book you will get enough tips to manage your demotivated team and the high expectations from your boss.

Always remember "the darker the night, the brighter your shine". So see this as an opportunity to grow.

God's strength.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by tundepelebzy: 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2016
first imbibe the spirit of you can do, you as a manager, redefine yourself and get things done through people, cooperate with your news staff, apply strategies, such as reduction of price, such as discount, it will help increase sales, also innovation should matter to you, do old things in a new way, am sure this little keys and more will help you succeed, God be with you.......
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by timtunday: 5:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
The best option is for you to be an Entrepreneur. You can start your own outlet and sell decoder for the leading digital television companies. You do not need huge capital to start. Just draw up your plans and start small. My opinion though.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by KangaIye: 5:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
hmmmmmmm...................... the lord will help you with good wisdom and understanding to carry out the task.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by DICKtator: 5:42pm On Aug 22, 2016
texazzpete:

'Play along' with lazy and incompetent staff? What sort of terrible advice are you giving?

Yes. i agree with him.

Play along and study your environment first before you strike. Some people resist change by nature and this may be one of the reason for their actions or inactions (apart from the we-feel-we-are-older-than-he-is attitude). Play along ,while still making everyone know that it is no longer business as usual!!) and determine those that would be a great asset in achieving your goals and objectives and with time, you would be able to sieve the chaffs from the wheat.

grin grin grin grin
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by tunary(m): 5:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
donbenedict:
Sack every one in there.

Employ me. We'll go paint the town red with decoder.
I believe u this guy. How wish he can listen so he can employ us together
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 22, 2016
Sllime:

In my opinion this is a fantastic opportunity.

Work with hr to terminate every living being and then hire your own staff.

The old hands may reapply because they might have offers to you based on knowledge.

You'll never make headway if you retain the old regime.

There's a reason why coups exist and why they kill all old hands, mostly.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by mjbaba: 5:51pm On Aug 22, 2016
Believe in yourself, document your interaction with staff. Let them know u respect them as individuals but you are here to get results and things must change. Tell them Management has plans to close the branch and send everyone home if things don't change. But rather than let that happen, u will be ready to sacrifice a few uncooperative ones. Ginger them. Let them know u must work together and they must support u. Seek their advise. As u talk hard, u blow soft also. Let them not see u as dictatorial.
To improve sales, Create awareness in d locality as has never been done before, within what your management can allow u to.
See it as a challenge rather than a punishment. Management has sent u there because they believe in you. Be determined to succeed
Best of luck

1 Like

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Temitoppe(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
I think you should ask the oldest staying staff how things were when he joined. how the sales had been
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Richy4(m): 6:00pm On Aug 22, 2016
I kinda think your boss doesn't want u there anymore.. He has seen your confidence, how you are good with what u are doing, and he wanna kill that....

I have seen people asking u to request for better team mates.. By requesting that, u might get another surprise....

A light will always over shadow the darkness, no matter how little the light is...

If u are a Christian, I suggest u take your case as if u were Joseph in prison... Do not worry we will be warming up to see u in Egypt when u become governor..( new boss)
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by uracocksucker: 6:01pm On Aug 22, 2016
lmao!! do you plan to share your salary with advisors ?
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by okoro2much: 6:01pm On Aug 22, 2016
You just need to clean staff, don't spare a single one. Retraing the new onec wouldn't be hard because from what you explained; the business is already dead. You would revive it with new staffs. Goodluck.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by funbamby(m): 6:02pm On Aug 22, 2016
Guy you are on the right part the approach is

(1) Evaluate the environment and determine the root cause of the problem ( You have achieved dat already)

(2) Set-up a performance monitoring System inclusive of a daily actiivity reporting ( Daily Situation report must be submitted by everyone before they can close for the days job)

(3) Set-up penalty for whoever violates "2" above to achieve strict conformance

(4) Re-Organize your attendance system to ensure strict staff movement monitoring ( Create Log book for Inward and outward movement)

(5) With 2,3,4 above you would be able to identify idle staffs and you can then set-up a full fledged marketing department with your experienced staffs that you have identified to have lighter work load

(6) Set-up targets for the marketing team and create a reward system for those who meets the target and those who surpasses the target with this approach you have lots of space to think and move to strategic planning ( Review your existing customer database and if there's none plan on setting up one.)

(7) Flesh this up and make a proposal out of this points to your management as your starting point; with this they don't need any one to confirm to them that you are on track.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems / Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.