Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,206 members, 7,836,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant (37683 Views)

Soludo Backs Buhari’s Emergency Bill, Proposes N19trn ‘Anti-Recession’ Blueprint / Emergency Powers Bill: LCCI, MAN, NLC, Others Back Buhari’s Proposals / Lawmakers Reject Buhari's Invitation To Dinner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by seguntijan(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2016
Lee Kuan Yew used this policy in his country and it transform the country from 3rd world country to First World country.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 23, 2016
chisky02:
Buhari with this move you are in for impeachment, because the National Assembly will not listing to you.
listing kor,sorting ni...
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:59am On Aug 23, 2016
socialmediaman:
Hitler was elected by the people of Germany. He also sought the same powers from the assembly and they gave it to him, oblivious. The first thing he did with the powers was to suspend the assembly. Sounds familiar? I'm only saying... Mr President could use the power and suspend the assembly and constitution out of 'the need' to save Nigeria money. Completely unacceptable, Nigeria doesn't need another dictator. That bill is dead on arrival

The house of assembly has majority APC leadership, I don't see why he can't work with them to implement his planned stimulus packages
I doubt you understand this piece. The senate has not had plenary session as it's on recess. It's just some senators that were interviewed that rejected the bill. Go read the emergency power that Hitler got. Every emergency power is defined. The one being sought after by PMB is on the economy.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by seguntijan(m): 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
please can someone explain to me how this Bill will turn him to a dictator, and kind of confused here.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 23, 2016
seguntijan:
please can someone explain to me how this Bill will turn him to a dictator, and kind of confused here.
u should know it is being said by those BIAFOooooLS now.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by jaiyezy(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2016
Its pathetic and total bad for a country like Nigeria.we are dysfuntional in reasoning because if we have a leader. Like Buhari and we call him a dictator!!! Its a shame. A man trying to fight corruption and we call him a diictator cause the National Assembly are just. Out there serving their pockets,now they are on summer and having continuos salaries and here we have a president that wants to revamp the economy through due process and we call it Dictatorship!!!.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by lafuria1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 23, 2016
ephi123:

But why can't Buhari address any of these without the bill? What is his job as the president if he cannot address these needs with his current powers?
Did you read the bill , do you know why he needs and what for?

Example, the government needs money from an agency, but to get that, it will take 6 month, buhari wants to get within a month to address the economy.
I'm sure you agree the economy is bad and believe we should act fast, buhari wants to act fast. This is the reason aim of the bill. This emergency power is for certain agency, nafdac, UBEC,
How does more power to address our economy a bad thing?

anyway it's left for the NASS to grant or not.

This link should helhttp://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/emergency-powers-bill-lcci-man-nlc-others-back-buharis-proposals/

Not everything is politics
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by socialmediaman: 12:26pm On Aug 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

I doubt you understand this piece. The senate has not had plenary session as it's on recess. It's just some senators that were interviewed that rejected the bill. Go read the emergency power that Hitler got. Every emergency power is defined. The one being sought after by PMB is on the economy.

Are you insinuating I mentioned anywhere that the house had already deliberated on this? The story clearly stated that the president will make that proposal once he gets back to office, didn't it? Maybe I'm thinking in line with the same senators who're apprehensive of the president's intentions here if that bill is proposed...

And please it's very rude to tell someone to go read up something in a discussion like this, if you've read it, state how it didn't apply in this instance...

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Akanaz(m): 12:29pm On Aug 23, 2016
This bill must be passed by the national assembly. But before that, they must go into contract with the president that if the president should use this power to satisfy personal interest he shall face heavy sanction.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by CioAngels(f): 12:32pm On Aug 23, 2016
Buhari seek more powers, maybe, to stop senate from stealling constituency allowances belonging to the masses of their constituencies. Panama papers senators. On the other hand abba kyari and mamman daura are the people asking for powers to preside over Nigeria and not buhari. My own is that buhari is in the cage of these two people and his larger familes. Lets see who will bail who, masses, buhari or his immediate family from the deadly strongholds of the evilmen?
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Sammy121(m): 12:33pm On Aug 23, 2016
[quote][/quote][color=#990000][/color]But structurally we government but functionally we do not have presently.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:34pm On Aug 23, 2016
socialmediaman:

Are you insinuating I mentioned anywhere that the house had already deliberated on this? The story clearly stated that the president will make that proposal once he gets back to office, didn't it? Maybe I'm thinking in line with the same senators who're apprehensive of the president's intentions here if that bill is proposed...

And please it's very rude to tell someone to go read up something in a discussion like this, if you've read it, state how it didn't apply in this instance...
Emergency powers are defined. How does the President getting emergency power to tackle our economic problems amount to sacking the NASS?
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Sammy121(m): 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2016
But structurally we have a government in place but functionally we do not have presently.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chysam: 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2016
DropShot:
Wrong, sensational and misleading headline.

Journalism in Nigeria is very junk. How can personal opinion of a few senators outside the senate in session be made to look like the body of senators has officially rejected a bill not yet tabled at the senate?

Do you need to be told that the writer is a "STRANGE AGENT?".They are quick to ask for a very quick economic intervention,but each time a move is made towards achieving this,their hypocrisy resurface and they begin to condemn again. So how would Nigeria get better?. Is it by everyone complaining??

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by ephi123(f): 1:38pm On Aug 23, 2016
lafuria1:

Did you read the bill , do you know why he needs and what for?

Example, the government needs money from an agency, but to get that, it will take 6 month, buhari wants to get within a month to address the economy.
I'm sure you agree the economy is bad and believe we should act fast, buhari wants to act fast. This is the reason aim of the bill. This emergency power is for certain agency, nafdac, UBEC,
How does more power to address our economy a bad thing?

anyway it's left for the NASS to grant or not.

This link should helhttp://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/emergency-powers-bill-lcci-man-nlc-others-back-buharis-proposals/

Not everything is politics

Because Buhari is the first president we are having in Nigeria I guess
The same president who spent 6 good months to select ministers has shown he is not someone who acts FAST in any way, we refuse to let wool be pulled over our faces. Se fini.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Uthmanloay: 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2016
U DIS PEOPLE DONT KNOW DAT D HOUSE IS D MOST CORRUPT ARM IN NIGERIAT AND BUHARI CANNOT DO ANYTIN GOOD WITHOT INCLUDIN SMALL MILITARY POWER INCLUDIN PEOPLE OF HIS PARTY LIKE (SARAKI,DOGARA ,TINUBU,AMECHI AND CO
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Eluwilussit(m): 1:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
AZeD1:
The amount of illiterates on this thread is mind boggling. Most of those shouting "tyrant" don't know the contents of the bill.

Y'all need to get an education.

Prof, why don't you educate the illiterates? angry

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by july66: 2:20pm On Aug 23, 2016

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by sweetgala(m): 2:36pm On Aug 23, 2016
saintkash:
if wat I read here is wat is in the emergency bill then I see no reason why the National Assembly will be against it or how it will make PMB a dictator.

Hmmm. The NASS is a waste of space. It would seem they are trying to play the hard game by denying the FG what it needs to turn the economy around becuse from what I just read this are similar powers most world presidents like Cameron and Obama enjoy.

How one can become a tyrant in pursuit of economic liberation of his country is beyond me.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by sweetgala(m): 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2016
Tokt:
The objectives of the bill will include shoring up the value of the naira, job creation, boosting foreign exchange reserves, reviving the manufacturing sector, and improving power supply.

Why will any senator who has his senses intact go against the above noble intentions.
Buhari should go ahead to present the bill and leave these senators for us. Am sure majority are pdp senators.

I'm afraid like the people on NL most of the senators who commented on the bill did not read the bill.

I'm even surprised the president doesn't have the emergency powers he is now seeking

2 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
DropShot:

Journalism in Nigeria is very junk. How can personal opinion of a few senators outside the senate in session be made to look like the body of senators has officially rejected a bill not yet tabled at the senate?

I just stopped reading further the moment I saw that

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by AZeD1(m): 2:43pm On Aug 23, 2016
Eluwilussit:

Prof, why don't you educate the illiterates? angry
You can only educate people who want to be educated.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by sweetgala(m): 2:48pm On Aug 23, 2016
nkechiasogwa:
These Legislators are all cowards. The Legislative arm of government has never been reduced to nothing like now. This was how they initially kicked against Buhari's list of Ambassadors, did they not shamlessly take back their vomit by accepting the list? They may be kicking against this now just to make noise, believe me, they will still accept it.

You must be very new to nigerian politics because if I remembers right OBJ got rid Senate presidents and wrote the resignation letter for a party chairman and many governors who were put under scrutiny and pressure .

EFCC were worse then too , going after political enemies

This president has actually been most civil , if GEJ had his way he would have turned the NASS to his personal.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Tokt: 3:02pm On Aug 23, 2016
hawwal84:
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions

Av u been to hell before, share more about ur experience
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Eluwilussit(m): 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2016
AZeD1:

You can only educate people who want to be educated.

Put it out there, regardless. Some people who crave knowledge will appreciate it. You have no idea how much I have learned through Nairaland. Even the stupid comments teach you how not to be stupid. grin grin grin
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Tokt: 3:21pm On Aug 23, 2016
Forwetinnah:

Indeed they're pdp senators, the only ones left with brains in the house...people like will never see the gimmick in bubu's rubbish..let him fulfill his campaign promises first. "Boosting economy, improving power supply, shoring up the naira blaaaaah blaaaaah blaaaaah". What a complete joke, the Presidency will still deny this rubbish when NOTHING IS DONE!! He'll get the powers and channel it into fighting the opposition instead, if boooooohari has any iota of shame...he would resign but alas! An illiterate is always desperate and strong headed

Ignorance is a disease. Here are the highpoints for ignoramus like u. Come back and tell me how opposition will be fought with it

Operation Resuscitate Nigerias Economy...

Bullet Points:

● Abridge the procurement process to support stimulus spending on critical sectors of the economy

● Make orders to favour local contractors/suppliers in contract awards

● Abridge the process of sale or lease of government assets to generate revenue

● Allow virement of budgetary allocation to projects that are urgent, without going back to the National Assembly

● Amend certain laws, such as the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) Act, so that states that cannot access their cash trapped in the accounts of the commission because they cannot meet the counterpart funding, can do so

● Embark on radical reforms in visa issuance at Nigeria’s consular offices and on arrival in the country and to compel some agencies of government like the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), the National Agency for Foods Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and others to improve on their turn around operation time for the benefit of business.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by olutunde12(m): 3:27pm On Aug 23, 2016
DropShot:

The simle english they thought me in school made the topic clear the first time i read it. it would have read "senate rejects ..... bill" if it has been discursed.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by DropShot: 3:34pm On Aug 23, 2016
olutunde12:

The simle english they thought me in school made the topic clear the first time i read it. it would have read "senate rejects ..... bill" if it has been discursed.
It means either your teachers taught you nonsense or you were a bad student. Senators can't reject a supposed bill not yet tabled to them. Opinions of a few senators cannot be used to read "senators reject...". Btw, I taught English for some years.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2016
eleojo23:
Bubu is having a hard time being a civilian president.
He simply doesn't know how to be a gentleman.

Exactly
Exactly
and......

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by bashydemy1: 3:51pm On Aug 23, 2016
socialmediaman:
Hitler was elected by the people of Germany. He also sought the same powers from the assembly and they gave it to him, oblivious. The first thing he did with the powers was to suspend the assembly. Sounds familiar? I'm only saying... Mr President could use the power and suspend the assembly and constitution out of 'the need' to save Nigeria money. Completely unacceptable, Nigeria doesn't need another dictator. That bill is dead on arrival

The house of assembly has majority APC leadership, I don't see why he can't work with them to implement his planned stimulus packages
You rather support it that we waste Nigeria money on useless NASS ba? you are one of the enemies of this country.. I believe if this happen to be during GEJ and Ghana must go change hands, They will approve the emergency power immediately but thank God baba is not ready to give anyone shishi.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Godmann(m): 3:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
The Tinubu clique wants to obfuscate the real issue and do a Boris Yeltsin with our national assets.

Nigerians beware; we don't need any emergency powers to turn around our economy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mudiaga Asagba Is Dead (Omo-Agege's Media Aide) / N2.051trn Scam: Petitioner Strips EFCC Naked Before Senate / Don't Lose Hope, I Will Defend Your Votes - GRV Tells Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.