Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant (37686 Views)

Soludo Backs Buhari’s Emergency Bill, Proposes N19trn ‘Anti-Recession’ Blueprint / Emergency Powers Bill: LCCI, MAN, NLC, Others Back Buhari’s Proposals / Lawmakers Reject Buhari's Invitation To Dinner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by charlesucheh(m): 10:19am On Aug 23, 2016
Those senators against this, are the saboteurs sabotaging the Nigerian economy for their selfish interest!!! Period!

2 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chernest2002: 10:19am On Aug 23, 2016
The dictator is not comfortable with democratic laws and would want to change it to take people's businesses and claim taxe evasion. Steal from people's bank accounts, imprison sporadically. Nigerians are leaping what they sow.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Miles300: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2016
Izonpikin:
rather the president was busy fanning the embers of tribalism and agitations in the country..went all out to fight a fake corruption war, all to land us where we are presently...
am telling you , we only think it's by import we get affected economically . Every country depends on import as well , but we often forget that fundamental principles also destroys the economy as well , no fiscal policies for months and they think d economy will just be d way it is without contraction ?

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Forwetinnah: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2016
Tokt:
The objectives of the bill will include shoring up the value of the naira, job creation, boosting foreign exchange reserves, reviving the manufacturing sector, and improving power supply.

Why will any senator who has his senses intact go against the above noble intentions.
Buhari should go ahead to present the bill and leave these senators for us. Am sure majority are pdp senators.

Indeed they're pdp senators, the only ones left with brains in the house...people like will never see the gimmick in bubu's rubbish..let him fulfill his campaign promises first. "Boosting economy, improving power supply, shoring up the naira blaaaaah blaaaaah blaaaaah". What a complete joke, the Presidency will still deny this rubbish when NOTHING IS DONE!! He'll get the powers and channel it into fighting the opposition instead, if boooooohari has any iota of shame...he would resign but alas! An illiterate is always desperate and strong headed

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by tiredface: 10:25am On Aug 23, 2016
HE'S ALREADY OPERATING AS TYRANT, JUST WANT RO LEGALIZE IT. WHAT AN IDIOT

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by tiredface: 10:26am On Aug 23, 2016
EFCC, IM NOT IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chelseajoy: 10:35am On Aug 23, 2016
DropShot:
Wrong, sensational and misleading headline.

Journalism in Nigeria is very junk. How can personal opinion of a few senators outside the senate in session be made to look like the body of senators has officially rejected a bill not yet tabled at the senate?
U re on point, some fools av already started throwing words, without taking time to digest n understand d write up.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chelseajoy: 10:37am On Aug 23, 2016
saintkash:
if wat I read here is wat is in the emergency bill then I see no reason why the National Assembly will be against it or how it will make PMB a dictator.
GBAM !!!!!
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by nwamehn: 10:38am On Aug 23, 2016
I don't know about the contents of the bill yet, but if granting him absolute economic powers as I read above is what the bill actually implies, then there is wahala. I don't think that the present powers he enjoys handicap him from making good economic policies that will drive the nation forward if he actually wants to. Besides, there are three major things that dictators all over the world operate with:
1. Absolute Economic and Financial Powers
2. Absolute Defence and National Security Powers
3. Emergency Powers to override the Judiciary at Strategic Times
If the first is given to any individual now, and the third, for instance follows suit in a matter of time, then before we know it, we would become no different from the states ruled by military dictators.
I would suggest he looks for ways to improve our economic state without seeking these emergency and absolute powers in question, there is a reason it's actually called DEMOCRACY, unless we want to give it up. Second, it's not even like giving him the powers will cause an automatic turn around, it will still take a lot of time before things change.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chelseajoy: 10:41am On Aug 23, 2016
Oxenomy:
You don't give sweeping power of any kind to a madman.. Yes Buhari is a madman and giving him that power is a suicide mission for our country's democracy. After giving him sweeping economic power, he will seek for sweeping security power to fight insecurity and when that happens, then it's safe to say bye bye to our democracy.. That's how tyrant rulars start.. Buhari must abide by our extant laws in all his dealings, if he can't do that, then he should step aside.
It takes a mad man to kno a mad man

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by nkechiasogwa(f): 10:42am On Aug 23, 2016
These Legislators are all cowards. The Legislative arm of government has never been reduced to nothing like now. This was how they initially kicked against Buhari's list of Ambassadors, did they not shamlessly take back their vomit by accepting the list? They may be kicking against this now just to make noise, believe me, they will still accept it.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by KanwuliaExtra: 10:43am On Aug 23, 2016
ChappyChase:

Bubu will never be a Tyrant! He is all ready a Tyrant with or without the emergency power!

Ehen na.

TINUBU and co go carry ANCIENT BARRACK TOUT to rule Nigeria AGAIN!

See dem life? grin

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by PROPHETmichael: 10:44am On Aug 23, 2016
The objectives of the bill will include shoring up the value of the naira, job creation, boosting foreign exchange reserves, reviving the manufacturing sector, and improving power supply.

Tell him not to bother coz the one wey him don shore, create, boost, revived and improved don do us.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by ephi123(f): 10:50am On Aug 23, 2016
BeClever:
I support that this bill be passed into law as soon as possible before and that the house should stop deceiving us and themselves. .

Buhari is already a tyrant and the earliest they grant him his tyrannical powers the better, to see if he could scuffle the remaining big wigs feathers to achieve even if it's just one out of his numerous campaign promises..

LMAO!!! cheesy
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by AZeD1(m): 10:50am On Aug 23, 2016
The amount of illiterates on this thread is mind boggling. Most of those shouting "tyrant" don't know the contents of the bill.

Y'all need to get an education.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by saint047(m): 10:53am On Aug 23, 2016
Emergency power seeks Virements without NASS

E.g Take money meant for Schools to Grazing at will

Let's just change our name to North Korea

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by olajizz01(m): 10:54am On Aug 23, 2016
Your house leaders both higher and lower chambers do not have gut to reject such proposal from PMB talkless of you that your opinion is inconsequential.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by DauraDullard0(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2016
KanwuliaExtra:
Ha!

Too late to cry o.
Name your DOG AISHA, and testify! cheesy
Where have you been? It's been ages!
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by ephi123(f): 10:59am On Aug 23, 2016
Tokt:

Why will any senator who has his senses intact go against the above noble intentions.
Buhari should go ahead to present the bill and leave these senators for us. Am sure majority are pdp senators.

But why can't Buhari address any of these without the bill? What is his job as the president if he cannot address these needs with his current powers?
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Standing5(m): 11:03am On Aug 23, 2016
GreatEngineer:
@standing5, what can you say about about this? Maybe these people have not taken their breakfast for seven days or their thinking have K-leg also.

You will soon hang yourself for the sake of defending selfish politicians.
You should av allowed me give my opinion about the topic before cursing your generation. Please read my posts well to gets a glimpse of my stance regarding Buhari dictatorial tendencies.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by biggerj(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2016
de kind entateiment wey dis pple sabi ba i pass hollywood own ooooo
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by hawwal84: 11:09am On Aug 23, 2016
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
Tokt:

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by jydeskill1(m): 11:12am On Aug 23, 2016
socialmediaman:
Hitler was elected by the people of Germany. He also sought the same powers from the assembly and they gave it to him, oblivious. The first thing he did with the powers was to suspend the assembly. Sounds familiar? I'm only saying... Mr President could use the power and suspend the assembly and constitution out of 'the need' to save Nigeria money. Completely unacceptable, Nigeria doesn't need another dictator. That bill is dead on arrival

The house of assembly has majority APC leadership, I don't see why he can't work with them to implement his planned stimulus packages
Oga PMB is not asking for exclusive power, he is only asking for specific power in few areas to jump start the economy by a way of economic stimulus. We politicize everything in this country.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by urchmoney73(m): 11:16am On Aug 23, 2016
Comenting on buhari's issue is wasting of mb. No need

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Jephyard(m): 11:16am On Aug 23, 2016
This bill might go through reason are being both daraki and dogora are being accused of one shittty deal or the other, those guys will like to buy their way out and couple with the current investigation of both past and present senator s on constituency project either done or not. If buhari is going to push this is going to go through. Politics na game.think about this.

But true be told if this will make us be like China and Russia I give him my full support. By the who religion epp

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 23, 2016
solace2013:
"explaining that if given further powers, he would more or less reduce the
National Assembly to a rubber stamp like the kinds of legislature that exist in China and Russia".

If our National Assembly can become rubber stamps and our country can become like China and Russia, then that's good for all of us. Who has the independent legislature help? No one except they themselves and members of their thieving gangs.
Did you actually read what you wrote? So because it's Baba the constitution no longer matters? Smh

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by jydeskill1(m): 11:23am On Aug 23, 2016
AZeD1:
The amount of illiterates on this thread is mind boggling. Most of those shouting "tyrant" don't know the contents of the bill.

Y'all need to get an education.
God bless you, the literate level in dis country is still very low. A lot of graduates can't analyse a simple proposal.
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by ebenholer(m): 11:25am On Aug 23, 2016
But do we need emergency power before all these promises that have been made during election come to pass? Na who I go ask o as it seems the government is not listening to me.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Skybee1(m): 11:25am On Aug 23, 2016
plz Senate mbok mk una no gree gv dt old tyrant man oo mk hin no finish ds country oo

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by chisky02: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2016
Buhari with this move you are in for impeachment, because the National Assembly will not listing to you.

1 Like

Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 23, 2016
He thinks he's Erdogan now having subtly laising with Turkey under some shady and unclear agenda thesedays. Cluessless illiterate
Re: Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant by oglalasioux(m): 11:47am On Aug 23, 2016
saintkash:
if wat I read here is wat is in the emergency bill then I see no reason why the National Assembly will be against it or how it will make PMB a dictator.

This is the surest trick to dictatorship. Adolf Hitler used it and you know what happened. Franklin Roosevelt used it in the New Deal and ruled America for four tenures (only American president to do so). It's an old trick used by dictators all over the world. Once granted such powers the legislature becomes rubber stamp.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari At The AU Summit In Addis Ababa (Photos) / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Jonathan Encourages Corruption In Nigeria - Tambuwal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.