Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto (49938 Views)

Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Tale's From FGC Vandeikya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2016
Suliyat looked at John, this idiot didn't want to save himself. "You fancy death, eh?" she asked him, somewhat annoyed at his ridiculously stupid reaction.

"I-I am a-a d-doc-tor. I won't u-use a fe-fetish an-ant-antidote" he replied weakly, stuttering.

This man's persistence was a prick on Suliyat's skin. She hated him for his guts. He isn't even scared of death? She broke into tears, much to the surprise of the dying John.
Kneeling beside him, she pleaded.

"Please, John. Chew"

His resolve broke. He couldn't bear seeing her cry over him. He was proud of his profession, and under a different circumstance, he would stand by the tenets. He opened his mouth, and Suliyat carefully put it in. John put his teeth to use.

After some time, he fell and his eyes shut.

Fearing the worst, Suliyat wasn't alone in her surprise. Ebeyo and the thin woman held an enchanted look on their faces. Turning to the old woman who was now smiling devishly.

"oh no!" Suliyat kicked the air in anger, gritted her teeth, pulling her hair, she couldn't believe it- this woman, the devil incarnate had deceived her, and now, John was dead.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2016
I sight you bro, This update is too short o embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 10:51pm On Sep 30, 2016
This update small oooo, but I luv it, carry gO!!!!
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by jellybabee(f): 11:45pm On Sep 30, 2016
wowww....av miss this
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 3:37am On Oct 01, 2016
Shortest update ever readeth!!
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 6:05am On Oct 01, 2016
The sinister smile was still registered on the woman.

Heaving a sigh, Mama Saliu asked "you love am abi?"

Suliyat turned, her back to hers, arms folded into each other. She wondered what this witch knew about love.

"Naso e do me when I meet Saliu papa" she kept giving answers to inexisent questions. Suliyat's eye popped wide as she said that. She wondered why a woman who claims to love her husband would then proceed to use him for fetish reasons.

"HIV" Suliyat said, looking at the woman "e no dey kill sharp sharp"

Now, surprise switched faces. The woman shifted uncomfortably, as if protesting against lying down.

She continued, pushing her luck in her flawed execution of pidgin English "if dem detect am early, come dey treat am, the person will not die immediately".

Mama Saliu listened with a slightly opened mouth. It was as if she wasn't the one who perpetrated the hideous crime. Suliyat was beginning to think, that either she was a very good actor, or she just might not be so guilty.
"De-detent, wetin be that one?" she asked.

Suliyat laughed mildly, the tension was gradually easing between these two. "O, detect? E mean if them know early" she explained contextually.

"okay, tisa"

A lengthy stare between both women. The older broke it, turning her face slightly.

"Him dun suppose wake up"

Suliyat was confused. Who was sleeping? She couldn't tell if Mama Saliu was speaking proverbally.

"Him go soon wake" she said assuredly this time, as the journalist's mind jumped in and between theories as to what this woman was talking about.

They had totally forgot that Ebeyo and her counterpart was in the room. When Suliyat's mind eventually flickered on their presence, she turned and found the fatter one sleeping, her mouth opened, and at intervals, sticky spittle escaped from them. Her cheeks now looked swelled as if the heavy hands of Goliath had served her a deserved blow. Save for her frantic breathing which could be heard, she could easily be thought to have slumped. This person was another prediction gone bad for she didn't looked like a light sleeper. Suliyat doubted if even a slap to the face would wake her from her courageous slumber, inside this house, where myriad fetish objects and activites might have called home.

Suliyat still got to know that rather, it was her prediction that was wrong.

A familiar voice mumbled rubbish, and Suliyat, saw happiness, fufilment and surprise all in the confines of the thin lady's eyes, which was looking past her.

Happy, albeit shocked, she was, when she turned and saw John attempting to stand up, his color was gradually becoming restored, his eyes were no longer bland.

The leaf worked. Suliyat and the good thin woman rushed to John and placed both his arms on their shoulders, helping him maintain balance on his feet.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 7:22am On Oct 01, 2016
I am a feeler of you: I dey feel you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Hasmos(m): 10:36am On Oct 01, 2016
Nice one. Keep it up.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 6:10am On Oct 02, 2016
As seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. It became clear to the dazed John that life wasn't as it seems. His life was preserved by women. He had always treated women inferior.

Suliyat nudged John. It's better they get leaving. She promised the old woman that help will come her way. The thin woman had become heroine through her efforts in a moment of distress. Ebeyo looked like a mannequin. Lifeless, devoid of emotion.

They got out of the house, which had tempted their resolve, their bravery, their love. John held Suliyat's hands, and when they were back into the street, normalcy returned. The buzz of life immediately resumed. With both Ebeyo and the thin woman having declined returning back on Suliyat's car, they both walked slowly, as if entering into the market.

"Hey!" John's voice fought through the noise in the place, finding its way to the thin lady's ears.

"What's your name?" John asked

She flashed a smile that made her beautiful than she'd ever been. "Obiageli" she said.

Nearby stores and shops had people, likely the sales persons popping out and stretching giraffe-like necks, wanting to catch a glimpse of this scene and the people, went in and came out of the house.

"Obiageli, thank you" John said, with so much gratitude in his heart than words can convey. She kept on smiling, as if the words "thank you" was new to her. The truth was, she smiled because for the first time in as long as she could remember, her name was mentioned in a positive sentence. Men had taken her as nothing more than a cheap liquor seller, who had no ambition nor dignity. Men had slapped the living daylight out of her buttocks to satisfy their pervesion. One had even tried to rape her. But, she didn't quit. She told herself, that even if she had to endure the most inhumane actions of men, she would, as long as she raises enough money to learn bakery and start a shop thereafter.

She left. John scratched his head, as he followed her trail with his eyes till she had gotten away from his sight. It was illogical to him, why a total stranger, in Ajegunle, where the motto was "mind your business. Be wise" would want to help him, an egocentric, narcisstic person, who had no respect for any woman that wasn't his mother.

He got into the car. Suliyat had been waiting. He entered, and saw a wide grin on her face. It was the first time he had seen her smile that way. The smile was nostalgic. It rminded him of when he was a kid, and someone would smile like that, after proving a point.

"What have you learned? After this hell we've gone through, after how you almost died, after how your skin color changed, after you woke up. John, what have you learned?" Suliyat asked, highlighting everything bad that happened, leaving out how that life was saved by an act of nobility. He knew the point she was trying to make.

John looked at her, into her eyes. He leaned closer, she did too. The next action is known to anyone who had been privileged to have lived with his tongue inside a woman's, with their eyes closed, in that moment of bliss, which only Cupid could have ordained.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 6:29am On Oct 02, 2016
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 7:56am On Oct 02, 2016
Observing.

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 10:45am On Oct 02, 2016
Good job Alaye, oil dey your head
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by ruggedadventure(m): 1:05pm On Oct 02, 2016
Tgold1:
I swear I dey follow they feel fikfaknuel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by ruggedadventure(m): 1:15pm On Oct 02, 2016
Tgold1:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 1:15pm On Oct 02, 2016
ruggedadventure:
I swear I dey follow they feel fikfaknuel
I zoom you mate........ S.O bro
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Gofwane(m): 1:35pm On Oct 02, 2016
This story- a master piece! Keep it rolling mr fik.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by ruggedadventure(m): 2:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
Tgold1:

I zoom you mate........ S.O bro
Boss. How u been. bro,dis story's got me glued to ma fone.

1 Like

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 10:25pm On Oct 02, 2016
ruggedadventure:
Boss. How u been. bro,dis story's got me glued to ma fone.
I bin dey cool..... Sailing weLlemly......
Na tori na ogbonge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by joanee20(f): 8:41am On Oct 03, 2016
fikfaknuel:
sleemoon ebukav jumizie13 dominicnuel ashatoda kingdave30 joanee20 spikedawson.... slimhan daeveed Rex1 prettydock22 favou iamlukas sharonnnn donpoker9 mattkent fiyah ddonoflife herzern rosalieene datjohn starrylady young03 angelsss laddybay TheSociopath gattus amyvals

(appears) what did I miss? thanks for the mention...
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 8:49am On Oct 03, 2016
CHAPTER TEN
He was on the run. But even he, didn't know why. Running from himself, running from no one. Running from his thoughts. Someone seemed to be pursuing him. He wasn't delirious, even though alcohol was his favorite liquid, even though tramadol was his best candy. As he fleed away from no one, he told himself that he wasn't mad.
The wind blew ferociously, sending dust, paper, nylon and anything that could be risen off the ground to the air. The cloud was dark, evil, depressing. He ran, and ran, and stopped. He heard a voice behind him call his name. Turning back, he saw a familiar face he never thought he'd see again.

He woke up from the lucid dream like a deranged person. He ran his fingers through his body, pinched himself, slapped his face, and he became sure; it was a dream. His head throbed as if Thor's hammer was used to hit it into shape. His body was clad in sweat. He shook, standing up from the bare ground on which he laid. He walked to the rectangular opening on the walls of the incompleted building which was reserved for the window and looked outside. It was hot, he could see people shielding their faces with their hands. It was only normal that it was hot after all, it was noon but people like Saliu, did nothing but sleep. But now, a terrible dream had woken him up.

Papi.

He remembered how they met in school. Papi was a brilliant chap who seemed to have the world in his brains. He would make money from writing people's exams for them, copying notes--in their handwriting.

Saliu was quite fascinated by his skills and one day, he approached him in the farm of Sinclair, the street name for the Ajeromi-Ifelodun High College. He knew he would find Papi there, for he was a very quiet person, who loved to escape from the noise of the real world.

Counting his steps, he walked gently, closer to Papi, who sat on a low stool amongst the weeds, head bent down. He didn't notice Saliu's presence or coming. As Saliu touched him, he, Saliu, saw what he had never before seen in Papi's eyes; fear. Papi was terrified at Saliu's invasion into his privacy, and he didn't hide it. He didn't hide his displeasure, he cast a long stare at the lanky invader, whose legs were like tooth picks, supporting his thin frame.

After acquainting himself with the strange persona who was this intruder, Papi asked "What have you come to do here?" much to the surprise of Saliu. It was weird, weirder even, for a person to speak such impeccable English inside the four walls of Sinclair.

"Nothing" Saliu blurted, unable to put in words what he had even come to do.

Papi was calm in the circumstance of this odd scenario. Only he knew what ran through his mind. He knew that for some reason, this lanky person could be trusted. He smiled, to which Saliu smiled back. He beckoned Saliu to sit close to him. They chatted and talked extensively on a wide range of topics, from football, girls, school, and then, in a suddeness, Saliu asked, out of fascination and curiosity "wetin you come do here?"

The small-statured Papi sighed deeply. He looked at his new-found friend in the eye and asked "will you help me?"

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 03, 2016
Thanks for the morning breakfast cheesy
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by joanee20(f): 11:22am On Oct 03, 2016
fikfaknuel:
sleemoon ebukav jumizie13 dominicnuel ashatoda kingdave30 joanee20 spikedawson slimhan daeveed Rex1 prettydock22 favou iamlukas sharonnnn donpoker9 mattkent fiyah ddonoflife herzern rosalieene datjohn starrylady young03 angelsss laddybay TheSociopath gattus amyvals

(appears) what did I miss? thanks for the mention..great story you have here..
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 11:25am On Oct 03, 2016
joanee20:

(appears) what did I miss? thanks for the mention..great story you have here..
thanks, ma'am. You're the one who made me start this. Sorry for the other story. I couldn't just complete it.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by joanee20(f): 11:52am On Oct 03, 2016
fikfaknuel:

thanks, ma'am. You're the one who made me start this. Sorry for the other story. I couldn't just complete it.

No problem... I only hope you finish this one, thumbs up
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Tgold1(m): 11:57am On Oct 03, 2016
Continue Man!!!
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by Angelsss(f): 5:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
fikfaknuel:
sleemoon ebukav jumizie13 dominicnuel ashatoda kingdave30 joanee20 spikedawson slimhan daeveed Rex1 prettydock22 favou iamlukas sharonnnn donpoker9 mattkent fiyah ddonoflife herzern rosalieene datjohn starrylady young03 angelsss laddybay TheSociopath gattus amyvals

nice story following
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 4:48pm On Oct 04, 2016
"Can you guess how old I am?" Papi asked Saliu a question which he, Saliu felt was stupid. But such people like Papi were geniuses, and such people didn't speak stupidly.

Saliu looked at Papi for a long time. He had a mild face, but his eyes were intense, it was like an adult's eyes, one that has seen things innumerable. Papi was also small-statured, but the bones of his body was strong, Saliu could tell. He looked like a person that spent way too much of his time lifting heavy things. He came to a resolution that this person wasn't that old, neither was he a kid. At the time, there were in the second class of Senior Secondary School, and the average age was fifteen, although some had repeated classes more times than they could count and ended up being in SS2, at the ages of 21-23. Saliu sighed, looking at the person that has thrown his mind into such parameters of in-depth thinking.

"19" Saliu finally said, damning if he guessed wrong. The truth was, he didn't really 'damn' the prospect of him guessing wrong. He cared. He wanted to impress Papi. He wanted to become closer to him.

He, Saliu, watched, as the lips of Papi stretched into a smile, like a rubber band does, when children tests the strength. Papi stood up, his head was just below Saliu's chin, which tried so hard to accomodate few strands of hair.

"You're perfect. I know you'll help me"

"How I go take help you?" Saliu asked

"I want to break into a woman's house. No--it's not a break-in. I don't want to steal anything. I just want to drop a-a-" Papi sighed, he was doing a bad job at explaining what he sought to do inside the woman's house "will you help me?"

A smile. Papi was confused; Saliu smiled. "I go follow you"

Papi was astounded at the bravery of this person. How did he know that it was a "follow"?

His surprise and happiness coined into something new-a feeling, an estastic feeling. His chest became lighter. The two boys chatted incessantly as they went to the canteen, where Papi bought agonyi beans and bread for the both of them, as they discussed the details of their break-in, Papi's face turned sad at times, but in one moment, it lit up in a laugh when Saliu suggested rather mischievously, that the bread was as soft as a woman's breast.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by yorhmienerd(m): 4:54pm On Oct 04, 2016
Huh! Still short.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 5:15pm On Oct 04, 2016
yorhmienerd:
Huh! Still short.
Sorry, sir. I'm absolutely displeased if causes you some inconvenience.

If you have observed, I try to stop in a 'good' place, not wanting to confuse my esteemed readers.
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by darltastic(m): 5:20pm On Oct 04, 2016
Great job Op
Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by FxHouse: 9:39am On Oct 05, 2016
Boss...honestly, I am lost. Your updates are far apart, your story lacks continuity. One might have to go back to other pages and probably read other chapters and would still not catch up. The story started out very well, it was captivating, you caught attention, and what was left was for you to steer in the right direction. Now I am lost, too many characters, story is quite confusing. Instead of going direct to the point, you pay so much time addressing irrelevancies like describing a lady's wrapper and how its hanging, a boy's sandy laps, a man's shirt and all that, all in the name of playing with words.

Hit the nail on the head, make sure not to lose your readers because, honestly I am finding it hard to follow. You have let the praises from people on your use of words sway you into spending more time on words than the story line itself, instead of concentrating more on the purpose of the story.

I duff my hat for bibijay, she caught my attention from start to finish, I looked forward to every update with relish, her story on "allen avenue" was just on point.

Keep your eye on the goal boss, stay in check, make your story less fictional, waste less time on playing with words, this is prose not poetry, there's a certain level of expectation when one is reading a prose, and another when one is reading a poetry. Do not mumble things up. If you want to show dexterity in playing with words, do a poetry, if you wanna show creativity and the fact that you could captivate without losing your readers, focus more on actions from your story, stop forcing originality by spending so much time trying to paint streets or people or clothes or just any irrelevancy. Keep it straight and simple. I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work...its getting boring tho...really

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto by fikfaknuel(f): 11:21am On Oct 05, 2016
FxHouse:
Boss...honestly, I am lost. Your updates are far apart, your story lacks continuity. One might have to go back to other pages and probably read other chapters and would still not catch up. The story started out very well, it was captivating, you caught attention, and what was left was for you to steer in the right direction. Now I am lost, too many characters, story is quite confusing. Instead of going direct to the point, you pay so much time addressing irrelevancies like describing a lady's wrapper and how its hanging, a boy's sandy laps, a man's shirt and all that, all in the name of playing with words.

Hit the nail on the head, make sure not to lose your readers because, honestly I am finding it hard to follow. You have let the praises from people on your use of words sway you into spending more time on words than the story line itself, instead of concentrating more on the purpose of the story.

I duff my hat for bibijay, she caught my attention from start to finish, I looked forward to every update with relish, her story on "allen avenue" was just on point.

Keep your eye on the goal boss, stay in check, make your story less fictional, waste less time on playing with words, this is prose not poetry, there's a certain level of expectation when one is reading a prose, and another when one is reading a poetry. Do not mumble things up. If you want to show dexterity in playing with words, do a poetry, if you wanna show creativity and the fact that you could captivate without losing your readers, focus more on actions from your story, stop forcing originality by spending so much time trying to paint streets or people or clothes or just any irrelevancy. Keep it straight and simple. I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work...its getting boring tho...really
It helps in a way. However, let me point out the fact that this is not a short story. Every update cannot be captivating. There are high and low points. About the play on words and describing 'irrelevanties' I swear, it is not intentional.

Thanks bro, anywhere you're confused, point it out, and maybe someone will fill you in. I guess the confusion is caused by the unconventional plotting I used in this novel.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Cheating Husband / The Murder Case- A short story / The Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.