Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Closed - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Closed (80240 Views)

5 Sounds That Signal Your Car Needs Auto Repairs Immediately / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Closed by charlie44nike: 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
My car ac fan comes on a few minutes after I switch off my engine. It blows for a while and later goes off by itself. What could be the cause?
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2016
charlie44nike:
My car ac fan comes on a few minutes after I switch off my engine. It blows for a while and later goes off by itself. What could be the cause?

what type of car?
Re: Closed by 9icetoo(m): 7:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
gazzuzz, my Ac matter don tire me. like u rightly guessed, my compressor was weak. I changed it. while changing it, we discovered it has already started wearing itself out and had deposited the black fluid in the lines and condenser. while flushing the lines and condenser, plastic particles (apparently stripped from one of the Ac lines) was shooting out of the condenser. a decision was made to replace the condenser with a new one.
so a tokunbo compressor was installed, some suspect hoses replaced, all hoses flushed, evaporator flushed (in situ with expansion valve). the expansion valve and evaporator were not pulled out but were flushed with a vulcanizers machine while in place. (its a nightmare to loosen the dashboard of the Octavia to get to the evaporator).
however after this fix, Ac worked well for only three days and packed up again. I checked the low pressure line for gas and the black goo came out again. meaning the compressor has worn itself out again after 3 days!. its costing me a fortune to fix this Ac. what do you advise as the way forward?
Re: Closed by mayor2013: 8:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
9icetoo:
gazzuzz, my Ac matter don tire me. like u rightly guessed, my compressor was weak. I changed it. while changing it, we discovered it has already started wearing itself out and had deposited the black fluid in the lines and condenser. while flushing the lines and condenser, plastic particles (apparently stripped from one of the Ac lines) was shooting out of the condenser. a decision was made to replace the condenser with a new one.
so a tokunbo compressor was installed, some suspect hoses replaced, all hoses flushed, evaporator flushed (in situ with expansion valve). the expansion valve and evaporator were not pulled out but were flushed with a vulcanizers machine while in place. (its a nightmare to loosen the dashboard of the Octavia to get to the evaporator).
however after this fix, Ac worked well for only three days and packed up again. I checked the low pressure line for gas and the black goo came out again. meaning the compressor has worn itself out again after 3 days!. its costing me a fortune to fix this Ac. what do you advise as the way forward?

Fresh installation is the way forward. For the fact that the expansion valve was not replaced and evaporator.The problem would be there
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
9icetoo:

Meet me outside it's a bit complicated, but easy.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
mayor2013:

Fresh installation is the way forward. For the fact that the expansion valve was not replaced and evaporator.The problem would be there

I see you have taken up a new hobby.
Re: Closed by mayor2013: 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I see you have taken up a new hobby.

Am only here to help after a long battle with those cars cheesy
Re: Closed by charlie44nike: 3:06am On Dec 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what type of car?
Volvo s80
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:15am On Dec 09, 2016
charlie44nike:
Volvo s80

I'm not very Familiar with the electronics of that vehicle, but when the coolant temp of a vehicle exceeds it's safe limits, the fan will come on and stay on until it drops to friendly values wink. Now in most cars (Japanese and korean) if the coolant temp exceeds normal limits and the ignition is turned off, fans will stop spinning, but other vehicles like (peugeot) will keep the fans running until temp drops to about 90degrees centigrade.

Summary, your coolant temp is exceeding normal values, have it checked sir.
Re: Closed by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

compressor is not faulty, most likely the bearing in the pulley. It is an easy straight forward fix, that can be done some times without discharging the Gas in the system.

Look at the pic below

Replace bearing and noise should go away.

P.S hope you are sure the noise is from compressor area?

Thank you Gazzuzz, as a matter of fact, am not sure about anything. I dont know anything about cars , i hardly drive the car sef, my hubby drives it sometimes .
Re: Closed by charlie44nike: 10:03pm On Dec 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I'm not very Familiar with the electronics of that vehicle, but when the coolant temp of a vehicle exceeds it's safe limits, the fan will come on and stay on until it drops to friendly values wink. Now in most cars (Japanese and korean) if the coolant temp exceeds normal limits and the ignition is turned off, fans will stop spinning, but other vehicles like (peugeot) will keep the fans running until temp drops to about 90degrees centigrade.

Summary, your coolant temp is exceeding normal values, have it checked sir.

Thanks gazzuz. But what if it's not the fan? What If it is the ac itself that comes on after the car engine is switched off?
Re: Closed by 9icetoo(m): 1:47am On Dec 10, 2016
charlie44nike:

Thanks gazzuz. But what if it's not the fan? What If it is the ac itself that comes on after the car engine is switched off?
the Ac cannot come on after the engine is switched off. the compressor which is the main component in your Ac cannot work without your engine. like Gazzuzz explained, your coolant temp is high which triggers the fan to come on. it happens on my Skoda too. the fans come on sometimes after I turn off the car usually after long drives with the Ac on. the condenser heats up my radiator which turns on the fans briefly to bring the temp down. its normal. it is even written in my car manual. read your owners manual, it may be written there too.
Re: Closed by charlie44nike: 2:14am On Dec 10, 2016
Ok thanks. But I don't know which one is happening. Just hear this humming sound a few minutes after I switch off the car, it goes off buy itself though. But I feel it's the ac. Cos sometimes i have to turn the ignition on and turn the ac off again.
9icetoo:

the Ac cannot come on after the engine is switched off. the compressor which is the main component in your Ac cannot work without your engine. like Gazzuzz explained, your coolant temp is high which triggers the fan to come on. it happens on my Skoda too. the fans come on sometimes after I turn off the car usually after long drives with the Ac on. the condenser heats up my radiator which turns on the fans briefly to bring the temp down. its normal. it is even written in my car manual. read your owners manual, it may be written there too.
Re: Closed by ojtopsy: 8:56am On Dec 12, 2016
Gazuz my AC works well in the morning but not effective in the afternoon. It's a 2001camry.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:44am On Dec 12, 2016
ojtopsy:
Gazuz my AC works well in the morning but not effective in the afternoon. It's a 2001camry.

Low charge, Defective compressor, defective cooling fans, Defective. Expansion valve.
Re: Closed by ojtopsy: 6:54pm On Dec 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Low charge, Defective compressor, defective cooling fans, Defective. Expansion valve.
Which kind wahala is this is it that all of them are bad or any one of the above.

1 Like

Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2016
ojtopsy:

Which kind wahala is this is it that all of them are bad or any one of the above.

so sorry I was in traffic when I typed it. One or more of them could cause the issue.
Re: Closed by ojtopsy: 9:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for your response. I can relate with others except for the low charge. Please explain. The cooling fans is working if not, overheating supposed to happen. Or does AC have a different fan,?
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:29pm On Dec 12, 2016
ojtopsy:
Thanks for your response. I can relate with others except for the low charge. Please explain. The cooling fans is working if not, overheating supposed to happen. Or does AC have a different fan,?

Take it to a professional, and rule out the possible faults 1 at a time.
Re: Closed by Ovipop: 8:39am On Dec 14, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
If you have vehicle air-conditioning issues, or want to learn more about how the system works, this thread is for you.

Also there is a whatsapp group for any one who wants further consultation on a.c issues.

Contact me on 08033910382 and you will be added.
thanks boss for this wonderful tips ...the evaporator of my Bmw e36 compact coupe was leaking and I could not find the evaporator to buy so I decided to block off the mouth that was leaking ... I don't know if it is a safe practice or if it will work well ..
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:54am On Dec 14, 2016
Ovipop:
thanks boss for this wonderful tips ...the evaporator of my Bmw e36 compact coupe was leaking and I could not find the evaporator to buy so I decided to block off the mouth that was leaking ... I don't know if it is a safe practice or if it will work well ..

Take a pic, of what was blocked.
Re: Closed by austin4real(m): 10:55am On Dec 14, 2016
Hi, Please my nissan primera AC stopped working like last week, the AC techie checked all the pipes and compressor for any physical leaks, but none was found, he then concluded that the evaporator was the culprit, The compressor activates whenever i switch on the AC, but it doesnt blow cool air, what can be done plz.....
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:20pm On Dec 14, 2016
austin4real:
Hi, Please my nissan primera AC stopped working like last week, the AC techie checked all the pipes and compressor for any physical leaks, but none was found, he then concluded that the evaporator was the culprit, The compressor activates whenever i switch on the AC, but it doesnt blow cool air, what can be done plz.....

look for somone who can scientifically explain why the evaporator is leaking, and not guess work.
Re: Closed by Jerri7(m): 5:59am On Dec 22, 2016
I have a Toyota corolla 09 and the AC works fine except that whenever I enter traffic, the AC starts blowing hot. But immediately I leave the traffic and start accelerating again, the AC picks up. Please what can be the best way out? I have also searched some online Toyota forum but they couldn't provide answer
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:44am On Dec 22, 2016
Jerri7:
I have a Toyota corolla 09 and the AC works fine except that whenever I enter traffic, the AC starts blowing hot. But immediately I leave the traffic and start accelerating again, the AC picks up. Please what can be the best way out? I have also searched some online Toyota forum but they couldn't provide answer

Defective compressor.
Re: Closed by Jerri7(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Defective compressor.

Thanks for the response. Pls what is the average price of the compressor before I am fleeced by our people.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:50pm On Dec 22, 2016
Jerri7:

Thanks for the response. Pls what is the average price of the compressor before I am fleeced by our people.

brand new OEM denso 150k condenser OEM 50k. grin
Re: Closed by Inception(m): 2:27pm On Dec 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

brand new OEM denso 150k condenser OEM 50k. grin
Is this the price for the one with variable displacement?
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Inception:

Is this the price for the one with variable displacement?

yes sah
Re: Closed by Chelseafan1: 11:11am On Dec 23, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Take a pic, of what was blocked.

Weldone sir, messaged you on WhatsApp yesterday, I ll do anything to make my car AC work fine even if I have to refill every 3 months, its still OK by me.
I have spent too much nd its beginning to affect my savings, im sad and confused, if I have the cash, I'll dump this golf 4 nd get a new car, my AC is the only problem, it chills very well wen I refill nd I just love d car and cruise around but after a week or 2 weeks max, it starts blowing hot air, I have changed hose, did so many tins, still same problem, recently, the compressor started giving one funny, annoying noise when its engaged, one AC guy told me Drier needs to be replaced, expansion valve too nd den I took it to anoda one, he said my compressor is gone, I need a replacement, I am ready to buy anything to make this thing serve me well, I hate dust and heat, but I don't trust these guys in Ife, I just want u to help me out. I am frustrated, dere was a day my car almost caught fire cos of bad wiring, the small fan I installed b4 gets stucked at tyms, I had to get a new one dt now runs well.
There is gas in it now but its not even cooling again nd d compressor still rolls but give ds annoying noise, I get forced most tyms to switch it off.
Re: Closed by pobeaf(m): 10:18pm On Dec 24, 2016
I always put my car ac into highest, yet the people at the back don't feel it much. Gazzuzz or any other person, can you please recommend somebody who can help me fix the problem here in Ibadan. The car is 2004 Toyota corolla sport. I will appreciate your prompt reply sir
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:26pm On Dec 24, 2016
pobeaf:
I always put my car ac into highest, yet the people at the back don't feel it much. Gazzuzz or any other person, can you please recommend somebody who can help me fix the problem here in Ibadan. The car is 2004 Toyota corolla sport. I will appreciate your prompt reply sir

description is vague. Start by replacing cabin filter.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Weird Toyota Camry Spotted In Edo State (Photos) / Innoson Not Using Farouq Osuolale's New Logo Now. Gives Reasons / Has Any One Ever Purchased A Vehicle From Owode Market? Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.