Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,737 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" (42206 Views)

Siasia Backs Dream Team Boycott Of Quarter-Final Against Denmark / Mikel, Others Stop Siasia From Resigning As Coach / Samson Siasia Signing Keshi's And Amodu's Condolence Registers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by miqos02(m): 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2016
Samson Siasia, who coached Nigeria's men's football team to a bronze medal at the Rio Olympics, is quitting the game in his country because of what he describes as "a disrespectful system".

Siasia, the most decorated African football coach at the Olympics having also won a silver medal in Beijing in 2008, claims to have gone unpaid for five months by his employers - the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

He says he has quit football in Nigeria after "a turbulent and incredible campaign in Brazil."

"I have reached that point where I have to say I have had enough," Siasia, whose contract expires at the end of the Olympics, told BBC Sport.

"I've gone several months without getting paid, years of being derided and disrespected by the sports authorities in Nigeria but I am done already.

"It's sad that after all we went through to get to Brazil and end up winning a bronze medal, the players, coaching and backroom staff never received a 'thank you' in appreciation despite a turbulent time at the Olympics" Sisasia added.

Before arriving in Rio, Nigeria's 'Dream Team VI' were held up in Atlanta, USA, because of a problem with the payment for their flight, and they only landed in Brazil just hours before their opening 5-4 win over Japan.

Nigeria also had a troubled build-up to their quarter-final against Denmark after the players boycotted a training session in a dispute over pay.

Amid all the problems that blighted their campaign, the team showed courage under adversity to clinch the country's only medal at the Rio games.

"First we had the minister deride us for camping in Atlanta and even denied our existence as a group before the flight problems," recalled Siasia.

"Players had to embark on a strike to be heard, then the boys kept a good spirit to win an incredible medal, only to be publicly criticised for speaking to the Japanese surgeon who supported and rewarded the team for their brave spirit.

"I've taken a deep look at everything and concluded that things need to change for us to progress as a country not just in football but our general lives.

"I have fulfilled my obligations as a citizen, footballer and coach; right now I do not want to be involved in the Nigerian football system anymore," said Siasia.

The BBC has tried to contact the NFF and the sports ministry for comments on Siasia's decision, but has not received a reply.

Nigeria, the 1996 Olympic football champions, are now the most successful African country in Olympic men's football, and the first African country to complete an Olympic medal sweep having won a silver medal in Beijing in 2008.

SIASIA coaching success:

Winner: 2005 African U-20 Youth Championship

Runners-up: 2005 Fifa World Youth Championship

Silver medal winner: 2008 Olympic Games

Winner: 2015 African U-23 Nations Cup

Bronze medal winner: 2016 Olympic Games

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37205549

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by akinze100(m): 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2016
The man is patient enough for Nigeria.If he must retain his reputation he must quit
FTC #Da'Broda

324 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by agarawu23(m): 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2016
Good for him.
Not a fan of football.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by miqos02(m): 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2016
akinze100:
The man is patient enough for Nigeria.If he must retain his reputation he must quit
FTC #Da'Broda
lalasticlala will credit your account soon

26 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by DonCortino: 5:19pm On Aug 27, 2016
Good for him
Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Alimtoheeb(m): 5:40pm On Aug 27, 2016
the right thing to do at the right time

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by adewumiopeyemi(m): 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2016
Good for him one of the best coach that NIGERIA will have let clap for him smiley

179 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by nerodenero: 5:57pm On Aug 27, 2016
A combination of this present administration plus beret-wearing, without wisdom Solomon Dalung plus Amaju Pinnick is a recipe for disaster. The disaster is evident.

Respect for Samson Siasia!!!

263 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by EMMYB0Y(m): 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2016
oga abeg go back. .... employment scarce oh... just be patient with that red beret sacked man-o-war

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by admax(m): 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2016
I am tempted to say their is no hope for this country but as a Christian, I wouldn't.

We have clueless leaders elected by hungry citizens in this country.

I wish you well Samson, Kindly look for an organised African country to coach.

160 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2016
He quit because of d rift between him and d minister of sport.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by twheeny(f): 7:26pm On Aug 27, 2016
Nice decision sir! You are respected

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by EmekaBlue(m): 7:26pm On Aug 27, 2016
he don hammer japanese money nah plus mikel share..no time to drag d money wey NFF dey eye so na to quit sharperly

9 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by klexycole(m): 7:26pm On Aug 27, 2016
He's still coming back. Mark my words! cool

6 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Deilluminator(m): 7:26pm On Aug 27, 2016
He has endured the embarrassment enough. I respect his decision. God bless him.

101 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by clefstone(m): 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
We should just go back to our precolonial way of ruling ourselves where our Obas, Igwes and Emirs were our rulers. This democracy and oyibo way of govt doesn't suit is at all. It's the reason why we cannot get the simplest thing right. Imagine common sport we cannot manage. We hv to create a system that works for us otherwise Nigeria will not move an inch forward

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
Let us stop pretending, Nigeria cannot work as a country. the differences are too great to resolve. The problems in Nigerian sports is a microcosm of the wider problems in the country.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by dragonking3: 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
"First we had the minister deride us for camping in Atlanta and even denied our existence as a group before the flight problems," recalled Siasia.
"I've taken a deep look at everything and concluded that things need to change for us to progress as a country not just in football but our general lives.

"I have fulfilled my obligations as a citizen, footballer and coach; right now I do not want to be involved in the Nigerian football system anymore," said Siasia.

The BBC has tried to contact the NFF and the sports ministry for comments on Siasia's decision, but has not received a reply

Good one Siasia. Our useless leaders are not ready to do their duties. Look for a better country that will pay you your wages on time.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Jameskelvin(m): 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
And i made fp..........thanks to the gworo eating dullard General cassandra..pls don't come back siasia.united state of nigeria is not worth the stress jor

3 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by LuvU2: 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2016
I support him

5 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Section8(m): 7:28pm On Aug 27, 2016
Nigeria Has lost it!! Smh

5 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by coolzeal(m): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Reminds me of Sunday Oliseh. NFF is a dreadful organisation full of incompetency.

7 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by kaen1317: 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Siasia is getting heat for a job well done when Mr Red Beret dalung is sitting pretty. Rubbish system truly

8 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Philinho(m): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
even that foreign coach will soon run.....That Mr red beret should take over

4 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by meezynetwork(m): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Nigerians never value their own. Such a pity

7 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by XtraSmooth404: 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Nothing seems to be working well in this country.. dammit angry

10 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by katerine7(f): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
chai ehya
Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by martineinstein(m): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Thanks man,u did well

2 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2016
Useless government of change

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by tall2ce(m): 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2016
miqos02:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37205549
we can all see that Oliseh was right to quit

5 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2016
Next thing we will hear is Siasia must refund those dollars he chop!

7 Likes

Re: Coach Siasia Quits Over "A Disrespectful System" by yankeedude(m): 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2016
Useless NFF,useless ministry,useless minister and useless system.

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Dragged For Wishing Christians 'Merry Christmas' / Ahmed Musa Takes A Lovely Selfie With The Security Men (Picture) / NFF Gives Oliseh 3 Months Salary In Advance Worth N15m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.