Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana (8205 Views)

Fayose Defeats EFCC As Court Says EFCC Lacks Power To Probe State Finances / Femi Falana Protesting Fuel Price Increase By Jonathan In 2012 (Throwback Pic) / Femi Falana Reacts To Baru's Defense With Three Legal Arguments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by mile12crises: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2016
Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, has criticised the decision by the Nigerian military to declare three persons ‘wanted’ in connection with the war against Boko Haram insurgency.
In a statement on Monday, Mr. Falana said the power to declare civilians ‘wanted’ rests with the Nigeria Police Force and the State Security Service.
“Thus, by declaring the three persons wanted without any legal authority the army has usurped the statutory powers of both the Police and the SSS,” said Mr. Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.
“In the process it has breached the fundamental rights of the ‘suspects’ to personal liberty, dignity of the person and fair hearing guaranteed by the Constitution.”

Shortly after the Boko Haram sect released a video on August 14 showing the abducted Chibok girls, the army declared Ahmad Salkida, a journalist; Aisha Wakil, a lawyer; and Ahmed Bolori, a social worker, wanted.
According to the army, the three persons have links with the sect as well as the abducted girls.
“There is no doubt that these individuals have links with Boko Haram terrorists and have contacts with them,” Sani Usman, the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, said in the statement declaring the three people wanted.
“They must therefore come forward and tell us where the group is keeping the Chibok Girls and other abducted persons to enable us rescue them.”

Mr. Usman, a colonel, added that the army relied “on the relevant laws of the land and in particular the Terrorism Prevention Act (as amended) where Nigerians could be punished for failure to disclose information about terrorists or terrorist activities.”
But Mr. Falana said the army declaring the ‘suspects’ wanted “is ultra vires, illegal and unconstitutional in every material particular.”
“Realizing that we are under a constitutional democracy which requires that the infringement of the rights of any citizen be justified in law, the army has relied on the provisions of the country’s anti terrorism legislation.

“Since the wanted persons are not serving military personnel who are subject to service law they cannot be investigated or tried under the Armed Forces Act Cap A20 LFN, 2004,” he said.
“Furthermore, under the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011 as amended the army has not been authorized to perform any duty whatsoever.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/209511-nigerian-army-lacks-power-declare-civilians-wanted-femi-falana.html

3 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by mile12crises: 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
Wailing in top gear cheesy

I trust the Yorubas to be hypocrites cool

18 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by bantudra: 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2016
ehhhh...hello....are you still sleeping mr lawyer??..nigeria is practicing democratic-millitary-theocratie......

we tried direct-democracy and landed in more and more mess..no more....finish...

go and learn the new laws...we are at war anyways!..........soooo.....democracy is suspended till further notice.... angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

democracy only thrive in a peacefull enviroment...what we never had since 1960.....

as soon as we have a peacefull enviroment,we will practise..democratic-millitary-theocracy.........

6 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 29, 2016
The end justify the means...

MR. falana, do u understand what is called territorial integrity?

Those men are menance to National security

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Mylove55(f): 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2016
becos na police dey fight the boko-haram, or is it not the duty of police to fight internal insecurity like boko haram and millitant, why falana no talk when army started performing the duty of the police. nevertheless, falana is stil my man

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by rapistomenka: 7:09pm On Aug 29, 2016
This illiterate and incompetent charge and bail lawyer should please take the back seat

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
We need to test this in court preferably Supreme Court.
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by sarrki(m): 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
Point of correction

Army are trained to kill

So when you ear that army declared one as wanted is as good as dead

Less I forget why didn't he say anything when the

military declared shekau wanted
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by magicminister: 7:41am On Aug 30, 2016
You're talking "rights" with a military that bully and attack bloody civilians?
You're talking rights with a military that is known to rape, torture and carry out extrajudicial killings

Is this guy in Nigeria at all??
Our Nigerian army is themost cowardly armed forces I have ever seen cos they never have the courage to do the right do.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Zaikon(m): 7:42am On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
Point of correction
Army are trained to kill
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by lifezone247(m): 7:43am On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
Point of correction

Army are trained to kill

Jst like you say, trained to kill, so they declare shekau wanted cos they want to kill him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by opalu: 7:46am On Aug 30, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Eliteklaus(m): 7:46am On Aug 30, 2016
Femi my guy while wot u r saying might b true u gat to realise that 1 my presidog does not know d law nor does he is care abt d law. Mama madu once said d SSS has d right to detain a 'bad' person even if d courts order his release

4 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by repogirl(f): 7:50am On Aug 30, 2016
This same Falana that said Governors don't enjoy immunity?

He should be sure he has consulted his law books to be sure...because his knowledge of the law can't be trusted anymore.

5 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by MidasTouche01(m): 7:53am On Aug 30, 2016
I wonder wetin dey always worry this man,

So what is he trying to say, the Army should have told the police to declare them wanted abi We know the Nigerian Police na... bunch of idiots...

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by BUHARImyDOG: 7:57am On Aug 30, 2016
BossDike:
I don't take this serious!

Anybody frm this stretch mark region is a definition of hypocrisy & cowardice including Awolowo who died a coward.

#execpt the Fayoses, FFKs, Aribisalas, & co

I AM AN IGBO

THIS YOUR TRIBAL BIGOTRY IS OUT OF CONTROL

7 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Charly68: 8:00am On Aug 30, 2016
kenonze:
The end justify the means...

MR. falana, do u understand what is called territorial integrity?

Those men are menance to National security
This lawyer's argument at times can be too extreme. I am not a lawyer but I have common sense that when a matter requires security urgency the army are licensed to act accordingly .

2 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by DrLee(m): 8:07am On Aug 30, 2016
Declaring them wanted could have spoilt their reputation, they should have just been invited instead.

But why them get links with the stupid terrorists sef?
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by omogidi234(m): 8:08am On Aug 30, 2016
It is better he says it. If he doesn't say it, is it me that would say it and they would declare me wanted?
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 30, 2016
Ok but for how long
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by worlexy(m): 8:10am On Aug 30, 2016
Falana has forgotten that this is a government of dictatorship, democrazy is currently on recess in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by sekundosekundo: 8:10am On Aug 30, 2016
Army lacks power to declare civilians wanted just as you lacks power to stop civilians from demanding for Buhari's WAEC result.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Gkemz: 8:13am On Aug 30, 2016
mile12crises:
Wailing in top gear cheesy

I trust the Yorubas to be hypocrites cool
Take the message and leave the messenger.
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by talk2hb1(m): 8:16am On Aug 30, 2016
Martial Law cry
Earthians with their common sense undecided
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 30, 2016
I'm with Falana on this issue. The authority to declare individuals "wanted" rests on the law enforcement agencies. The constitution is superior to any statute that is in conflict with it.
Moreover, Falana and his fellow human rights' lawyers should sue the army over its ridiculous regulation on the wearing of 'camo' by civilians. In a country governed by constitutional and common law, the military have no authority to decide what civilians should or should not wear in public.

3 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by Neddstark: 8:33am On Aug 30, 2016
When Boko Haram kills army personnel, I dont see this fake SAN consoling the army
Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by brainpower(m): 8:45am On Aug 30, 2016
After more than two weeks you are now speaking out. I respect this man, cos for long he's been popular trying to fill the shoes of Gani. But our Nigerian politicians are very deadly and cunning and they know how to change a man.
At times his statements and actions makes me believe what people say that he's been bought over and only speaks if he doesn't get his payment.
What if they wanted to kill them, by now they would have been dead and you are just coming out to say this.
May God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by ATERI(m): 9:04am On Aug 30, 2016
brainpower:
After more than two weeks you are now speaking out. I respect this man, cos for long he's been popular trying to fill the shoes of Gani. But our Nigerian politicians are very deadly and cunning and they know how to change a man.
At times his statements and actions makes me believe what people say that he's been bought over and only speaks if he doesn't get his payment.
What if they wanted to kill them, by now they would have been dead and you are just coming out to say this.
May God help us in this country.

God bless you! The same applies to hopeless lawyers that have now become interested in the case of the guy that named his dog Buhari. Pure cowards!

2 Likes

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by ikdaddy01(m): 9:09am On Aug 30, 2016
When Bubu is a dollard. Amymy will follow suit

1 Like

Re: Army Lacks Power To Declare Civilians ‘Wanted’ – Femi Falana by shammah1(m): 9:40am On Aug 30, 2016
Sry sold out Falana. In Buhari's military dictatorship, reverse is the case

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019 Election: Fulani Group Denies Endorsing President Buhari / Unknown Gunmen Kills Man Accused Of Exposing Ikonso To Soldiers - VIDEO / Gbenga Daniel On Hunger Strike In EFCC Custody - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.