Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Bmw Engines - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bmw Engines (13921 Views)

Mercedes-Benz Is Phasing Out V-6 Engines In Favor Of Inline-6s / The Differences Between Straight 6 And V6 Engines / Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 9:54pm On Sep 05, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Would it cost $5000 for a second hand engine?
Never driven or owned a Hyundai before

Find out from auto-parts seller!
Re: Bmw Engines by Lexusgs430: 10:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
fatbims:

Find out from auto-parts seller!

Since you already know, spill the heavy beans.

Re: Bmw Engines by USAutoBuy(m): 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2016
Lexusgs430:
On a lighter note, why are the Kazeem's not advising replacing this engine, with a Toyota lump?
$5000 to buy engine, how much for shipping and logistics?
Big Man Big Engine Big Gbese.............

$5,000 is the total cost to deliver to Nigeria. Ships from the USA. Its all in perspective, a car that cost $130,000 new will have an expensive part. Even the 5.7L 2008/9 Tundra Engines costs between $3-$4k.

Nothing higher than the 760IL under the BMW badge. Same V12 engines used on some Bentley (which costs like $200k).

Its all relative
Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2016
fatbims:
Mandmiss007 na wa for u o. You have a good price already! The $5k is too high, you can get it cheaper if you have someone in the USA. No big deal about that. No let anyone they form part dealer for here

Like I said somebody in lagos is offering one for 650k. It's just am not too sure of its quality n durability.

Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 10:35pm On Sep 05, 2016
sultaan:

Did someone forget to put engine oil in the car or was someone topping it up with roadside 20w50?

hole in oil pan?

Just trying to figure out why it knocked

on ebay for sale

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Complete-Engines/33615/i.html?selfil=2%2C3%2C1%2C4%2C5&MMake=BMW&MModel=760Li&MYear=2007&vToken1=Base&vToken2=6.0L&mvsub=1&_mcatda=true&selvel=BMW~760Li~2007~Base%2520Sedan%25204-Door~6.0L%25205972CC%2520V12%2520GAS%2520DOHC%2520Naturally%2520Aspirated

Not oil or hole, the water somehow dried up or leaked.
Re: Bmw Engines by USAutoBuy(m): 10:50pm On Sep 05, 2016
mandmis007:

Like I said somebody in lagos is offering one for 650k. It's just am not too sure of its quality n durability.

See if he can give you a guarantee. From my little findings the V12 is same thing from 2003-2006. Different for a 2007. Yours is a 2007

You can post the VIN for your vehicle, i will stop by the BMW dealer later in the week to see if it possible that 2003-2006 can work. From my little understanding, its not the same.

You need to be sure before you buy cos the brainbox will be different to control it.
Re: Bmw Engines by Lexusgs430: 11:02pm On Sep 05, 2016
USAutoBuy:

$5,000 is the total cost to deliver to Nigeria. Ships from the USA. Its all in perspective, a car that cost $130,000 new will have an expensive part. Even the 5.7L 2008/9 Tundra Engines costs between $3-$4k.

Nothing higher than the 760IL under the BMW badge. Same V12 engines used on some Bentley (which costs like $200k).

Its all relative

Nice clarifications. I am not querying the logistical cost. But pesin wey buy big motor suppose expect big bill. Cos when repair bills arrive, they are not usually the average corolla bill.

Re: Bmw Engines by Lexusgs430: 11:05pm On Sep 05, 2016
mandmis007:

Not oil or hole, the water somehow dried up or leaked.

Wow, an expensive mistake. I am surprised the vehicle did not throw out any warning lights, when the radiator was running dry.

Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 12:08am On Sep 06, 2016
USAutoBuy:

See if he can give you a guarantee. From my little findings the V12 is same thing from 2003-2006. Different for a 2007. Yours is a 2007

You can post the VIN for your vehicle, i will stop by the BMW dealer later in the week to see if it possible that 2003-2006 can work. From my little understanding, its not the same.

You need to be sure before you buy cos the brainbox will be different to control it.

Gracia, I will send the VIN ASAP, will go to d mechanic shop on Wednesday.
Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 12:16am On Sep 06, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Wow, an expensive mistake. I am surprised the vehicle did not throw out any warning lights, when the radiator was running dry.

It actually did show warning light, from what I gathered, it was ignored thinking it was electrical fault! Stupid

Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 7:53am On Sep 06, 2016
mandmis007:

Buy from Lagos! They give guarantee even in Ladipo market, the buyer will write it on the receipt. They usually give 2weeks. If you negotiate well, you will get the engine cheaper... bmw parts are cheaper in lagos than most brands!
Re: Bmw Engines by mayor2013: 9:24am On Sep 06, 2016
fatbims:

Buy from Lagos! They give guarantee even in Ladipo market, the buyer will write it on the receipt. They usually give 2weeks. If you negotiate well, you will get the engine cheaper... bmw parts are cheaper in lagos than most brands!

Pls show me where bmw parts are cheaper in lagos. Trunk gate lift module is 90k. And you talkn cheap?
Re: Bmw Engines by kingreign(m): 9:35am On Sep 06, 2016
fatbims:

[s]Buy from Lagos! They give guarantee even in Ladipo market, the buyer will write it on the receipt. They usually give 2weeks. If you negotiate well, you will get the engine cheaper... bmw parts are cheaper in lagos than most brands![/s]

Re: Bmw Engines by chukel(m): 10:09am On Sep 06, 2016
Pls pics of this BMW 760 abeg. I wan see this ride wey the engine cost pass most vehicles.
Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 11:25am On Sep 06, 2016
mayor2013:

Pls show me where bmw parts are cheaper in lagos. Trunk gate lift module is 90k. And you talkn cheap?

Do this in comparison with other brands...mercedes, toyota, lexus etc. Then we can argue. Compare the price of engines of bmw in lagos with toyota engines from 2000 to 2009. If you want quotes I will drop them. I say what I know bro. Show me that car you can get the engine for 40k and I will show you a 2000 e46 m43. Compare the parts of 2005 x5 to a 2005 rx330.

Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2016
fatbims:

Do this in comparison with other brands...mercedes, toyota, lexus etc. Then we can argue. Compare the price of engines of bmw in lagos with toyota engines from 2000 to 2009. If you want quotes I will drop them. I say what I know bro. Show me that car you can get the engine for 40k and I will show you a 2000 e46 m43. Compare the parts of 2005 x5 to a 2005 rx330.

@fatbims, thanks for ur insightful contributions. I am illuminated. I think I will do the shopping in Lagos.
If am lost I will request for ur invaluable contributions again pls.
Re: Bmw Engines by sultaan(m): 2:26pm On Sep 06, 2016
mandmis007:

@fatbims, thanks for ur insightful contributions. I am illuminated. I think I will do the shopping in Lagos.
If am lost I will request for ur invaluable contributions again pls.

You are trying to take the easy way out which I can understand but you looking for a cheap way out will end up in scrapping that car.

You need the exact same engine for that model year and you probably won't find it in Ladipo.
What you will find is an idea to covert to a I6 for a lot less and will be persuaded to convert;that will be the beginning of scraping.

It's a 760 there is no conservative way of fixing it.

Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 3:01pm On Sep 06, 2016
Someone already gave him a price for the same engine in Lagos, someone has also offered to help in checking the vin. Make sure there is a guarantee written on the receipt. Let them include the validity of the guarantee. It is usually 1 or 2 weeks.

I am available whenever you are in Lagos.

7series doesn't have the most expensive part Mayor. Stop deceiving people else you are talking of recent models of 7series (2010 above). E65 parts is cheaper than S class of same year.

This is just 2007 760LI for God sake! Cheap car!!!

Re: Bmw Engines by mayor2013: 3:24pm On Sep 06, 2016
fatbims:
Someone already gave him a price for the same engine in Lagos, someone has also offered to help in checking the vin. Make sure there is a guarantee written on the receipt. Let them include the validity of the guarantee. It is usually 1 or 2 weeks.

7series doesn't have the most expensive part Mayor. Stop deceiving people else you are talking of recent models of 7series (2010 above). E65 parts is cheaper than S class of same year.

Carry out your research well. Am talking about recent models. I smell something fishy here. You call 2007 760i ordinary. What's the net worth of the car. Like I said earlier I smell something fishy here
Re: Bmw Engines by nurey(m): 4:08pm On Sep 06, 2016
According to research I made online, there are 9 engine variants for this car and not all can work with the 2007 model year.

The V12 has only one variant the N73B60 engine. Though the engine is same for the 2003 to 2008 model year so you make your research well.

As for trying to fit an I6 or V8 into that engine bay, I won't advice that, the BMW engine compartment are so tight, modification and butchering won't be easy. The hardest part would be how to by pass electrical in this sweet ride.

The man wey dey call this car ordinary hope you know it has more outward appeal than 2014 S-class more appeal not better ooo

Re: Bmw Engines by sultaan(m): 4:09pm On Sep 06, 2016
fatbims:

So I can find an Audi R8 V10 engine, a VW W12, a Corvette LS7,a Porsche flat 6 and a MB S600 in Ladipo?

Those are engines used in some premium brands for comparison
Re: Bmw Engines by USAutoBuy(m): 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
Only the VIN will tell and i will go to the dealership for the last word. No need to argue
Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 11:25pm On Sep 06, 2016
sultaan:

You are tryig to take the easy way out which I can understand but you looking for a cheap way out will end up in scrapping that car.

You need the exact same engine for that model year and you probably won't find it in Ladipo.
What you will find is an idea to covert to a I6 for a lot less and will be persuad be the beginning of scraping.

Its a 760 there is no conservative way of fixing it.
Actually I was looking @ how not to fall for 'wururu' mechanics n ways. But USAutoBuy posted d exact engine yesday. Cuz I took d picture n compared it to the one in the car. It's exact!

Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 11:28pm On Sep 06, 2016
USAutoBuy:
Only the VIN will tell and i will go to the dealership for the last word. No need to argue
The engine you posted yesday fits the one in the car. Which is it? As in model?
Re: Bmw Engines by mandmis007(m): 11:34pm On Sep 06, 2016
USAutoBuy:
Is this E65 or E66? What's their differences?
Re: Bmw Engines by sultaan(m): 3:45am On Sep 07, 2016
mandmis007:

The engine you posted yesday fits the one in the car. Which is it? As in model?

Did you check the ebay link I attached it is the same engine mileage on the engine affects the price.

A limited number of those cars are sold yearly so the engines are not readily available until someone wrecks their 760Li or a Bentley
Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 9:20am On Sep 07, 2016
@ Mayor....if you like smell Titus fish, is your problem! My point is bmw parts are not expensive especially in Lagos when placed side by side with other brands. Cheaper than the price in Yankee.

The owner of the car himself said he found the engine in Lagos, someone else said it is $5k in usa. The usa price is too high and I told the guy buy in Lagos and get a guarantee. So why the attack on me with Ladipo??. The guy that introduced me to Nairaland drives a 750LI 2006 model. And he has bought part in the USA and Ladipo as well.

It is not an expensive car to maintain, they share parts with the normal e65 (730, 745 etc.

Someone even gave him an option of installing another engine but you all don't see anything wrong with it.

The price you get online is different from the price you get from bmw store, from Indies store and from scrap yard. If you have someone in the USA you will get this engine as low as $2k. (something fishy right??)!

I checked at Ladipo yesterday on my way back from work, I didn't see the engine in Ladipo.
Re: Bmw Engines by USAutoBuy(m): 9:53am On Sep 07, 2016
mandmis007:

Is this E65 or E66? What's their differences?

The one i posted is for 2007. Like i mentioned, IT SEEMS that 2007 engine is different from the others. A VIN number will be the best to verify. You take the VIN to the dealer and they will see which engine was installed. They will then cross check if the same engine is installed in other years as well. Engines are cheaper for older year models. Don't just be asking that you want a BMW V12 engine, compare the pics and BE SURE ITS APPLICABLE TO YOUR MODEL YEAR!

The 2008/2009 models of the engines are running like almost $8500. A 2003 model is much much cheaper. The V12 in the 1988 - 90's models BMW750 can be had for as little as $1500.

I really hope that you can find a cheaper alternative, either way you go make not a whole lot of different to me.

But whatever you pay for has to work. 760LI's are not very common and few are sold each year like someone else mentioned. THEY ARE THE ONLY BMW MODELS WITH V12 ENGINES (For someone talking that they share same parts with other cars). These engines are built to almost last forever, unless someone is careless with them, they don't damage for no reason. And the only way to come across one is from damaged vehicles.

May be they have (or do not have at Ladipo) i wouldn't know. Just be sure that you are paying for the right item.

Good luck!

Re: Bmw Engines by mayor2013: 9:55am On Sep 07, 2016
Your statement is void. You say bmw parts are not expensive. You call ladipo a spare part market. Never am I going to blame you for any reason basically because you are not an automobile engineer. Recently I bought a used eps (electric power steering rack) for bmw528i 2012 xdrive for 850k. Brand new cost 1.2m. Coscharis requested for 1.35m and here you are talking. Pls tell me if that is cheap. I always make a mockery of them when I request for bmw parts from ladipo. Never call bmw cheap pls

Re: Bmw Engines by kingreign(m): 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2016
Inception:
Electric water pump for BMW E90 2006 was sold to a friend of mine for 128k. He got it from Ladipo, Lagos.

Re: Bmw Engines by fatbims: 1:26pm On Sep 07, 2016
Mayor ofcourse you have to order that very part. No business man will use all his fund to buy a delicate part when he is not sure of demand.

I really don't understand your attack on Ladipo! If Ladipo is not a parts market, what is Ladipo market?? Even auto-medic has a store there.

I won't argue with you on this anymore because you have failed to understand my point.

Compare the price of that eps with a volkswagen passat or mercedes, even lexus and acura. This is when we can talk.

Good day!!!

Re: Bmw Engines by mayor2013: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2016
fatbims:
Mayor ofcourse you have to order that very part. No business man will use all his fund to buy a delicate part when he is not sure of demand.

I really don't understand your attack on Ladipo! If Ladipo is not a parts market, what is Ladipo market?? Even auto-medic has a store there.

I won't argue with you on this anymore because you have failed to understand my point.

Compare the price of that eps with a volkswagen passat or mercedes, even lexus and acura. This is when we can talk.

Good day!!!

Join the team of engineers and comprehend it better. You went to search for the engine of the op's car. Did you get it capital NO? That's to tell you that the engine can't be found in the local market. Considering the fact that the op is not a resident in lagos, If you have done good business with part suppliers in ladipo you would know what am talking about. The guys there would only tell him they have got the engine only on arrival would he be disappointed seeing some thing else. He would even be hearinh stories of how another engine can fit in for his car. I rest to my case @ this junction. Have got loads of work to attend to in the workshop. Peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FRSC Begins Operation “show Your Licence’’ In Lagos / Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. / Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55