Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist (1825 Views)

The Most Detribalised Nairalanders / Rochas Okorocha Is Detribalised But Let's Give Him More Time. / What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Sijien(m): 3:17am On Dec 17, 2006
Yes. Obasanjo is an example of a “de-tribalised” Nigerian. He hates poor people from every corner of the country.

A resounding majority of Nigerians are “de-tribalised”. It is just that the minority are noisier. With their noise, they elevate ethnicity beyond its proper level in the scale of importance. This takes ethnic sentiments and other primordial attitudes out of their real contexts.

Most people that are prejudiced are just mainly ignorant and chronically incapable of reason. As soon as you apply logic to the “arguments” of prejudiced folks, those arguments collapse like a pack of cards. Therefore to be a “tribalist” requires the suspension of logic.

It is not possible to be a “tribalist” and a “nationalist”, unless the nation is made up of just one ethnic group. A “nationalist” theoretically puts the interests of the nation at the top of the agenda, while a “tribalist’s” main concern is his ethnic group. Pushing the agenda of one ethnic group excludes others and therefore opens the person up to charges of discriminatory behaviour. By extension, to champion the cause of one group involves a sort of ideology which entertains notions of supremacy of the ethnic group over others. It calls for the rallying of folks from that group under one banner and thrives on creating the sort of divisions that stoke ethnic hatred. So people that cover themselves in this garb usually evolve into fascists and bigots.

Of course, I can claim to be “de-tribalised”. I never subscribe to notions that I cannot back up with logic. I am not an ethnic chauvinist, not particularly for any lofty reasons, but because it doesn’t make sense.

“Tribalism”, just like racism, is a pattern of behaviours and attitudes. Sometimes the perpetrator is aware that he is a bigot, sometimes the bigotry is unconscious and unwitting. In the latter category, people at the receiving end would be aware of this before the perpetrator.

“Tribalists” and racists are birds of the same ignorant feather. So a “tribalist” has no moral standing to condemn a racist.

It is also pertinent to note that some of the most “de-tribalised” Nigerians are members of the ruling elite. For them ethnic division is just an instrument for controlling the populace.

http://chxta..com/2006/12/does-detribalised-nigerian-exist.html

i dey miss chxta walahi. seun don delete my thread.
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by shango(m): 3:28am On Dec 17, 2006
direct this to the cabal that is the ruling elite of Nigeria that believes resources in other parts of the country are Allah's giving right and that they should live with opulence like their Arab "brothers" in Arabia.

You advocate Nationalism for a Nation that is comprised of different major ethnicities, tribes AND religion (the worst divisive factor). You never here of Yorubas killing Igbos or vice versa simply because they are Igbo. Most Nigerians do not subscribe to such things.

What most people do not understand is that the concept of Nations is incopatible with multitribe and multiethnic especially when there is no dominant culture. Nations like European and Western nations work because they do not have majority populations that are different tribes. Alot have minority groups but there is a dominant culture that drives the nation. Most former colonies lack such cohesiveness and direction because they where created artificially and cut through tribes and ethnicities.
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Sijien(m): 3:33am On Dec 17, 2006
d guy wey for fit snwer u no dey here again. cry
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 17, 2006
Winston Churchill created the albatross called Iraq, today the US is reaping the fruits of that tragic mistake.

Very soon Nigeria will follow suit!
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Backslider(m): 3:27pm On Dec 20, 2006
Dear Sijien,

You are correct and some people dont know almost every language that existed died before and that is why tribalism is not worth dying for. Languages die off.

I know for a fact that some of this Elite marry their Children out accross tribal lines and some of this same people fan tribal hatred. A man that is tribalistic is a dangerous person wether a yoruba Igbo hausa or Efik.

I am proud to be a Yoruba but I dont go beyond that.

To detribalise this is what I say we do Let us Create our own writing and USE A MINORITY LANGUAGE AS OUR NATIONAL AND OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. OUR MONEY WILL BE MADE IN THIS MONEY OUR TEXT BOOKS WILL BE MADE IN THIS ALSO. Dont get me wrong this is only one step to detribalise.
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by jona2: 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
jona. cool
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by citizenY(m): 5:39pm On Dec 22, 2009
^^^^^^^^
I laugh like the wake of a whale passing by with jona in its belly. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by mekusxxx: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2009
How can there be a detribalized Nigerian when Nigeria operates under tribalism? Try to get a job in the East, North, West or South-South where the people in charge are indigenes of those places. Try the same thing in those places where your ''brother'' is in charge and then you will see the difference. Our hypocricy is tiring.

I once went to certify some documents in a state court in Lagos. The registrar asked for bribe money on top of the official money I have to pay. I refused and went to another court (fed high court) where an Igbo was the registrar and it was done for just the normal fee. The reverse for a Yoruba could simply be the case. The Igbo man could as well have asked for bribe from me, but once I noticed he was Igbo, I ''enter'' am well well,  grin telling him how my mom was from his state and all such blah! blah! blah!. He fell for it and would have been ashamed to ask for extra bribe money.
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by paddylo1(m): 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2009
Winston Churchill created the albatross called Iraq, today the US is reaping the fruits of that tragic mistake.

Very soon Nigeria will follow suit!
because u dey america no give u license to misyarn like who no get sense. . .
may america reap what it sows in iraq and leave nigeria out of it. . .
no be by force to come here. . .i don tell a lot of u yankee
abi na uk peeps sey make una go play with oyibo and akata ppl
leave nigeria alone
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by paddylo1(m): 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2009
as for detribalized nigerian they are everywhere but especially in lagos and abuja
and amongst the young ppl in naija
if u have not met one,then u are probably over 30,dont reside in nigeria or
just too much of a tribalist to have friends from other tribes in naija
as for me am one. . and a lot of ppl i know are too
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 23, 2009
Tribalism only exists on Nairaland. I have not seen or heard of a tribal war in Nigeria. It's all political and religious wars.
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by mekusxxx: 12:10am On Dec 23, 2009
9jaganja:

Tribalism only exists on Nairaland. I have not seen or heard of a tribal war in Nigeria. It's all political and religious wars.

So tribalism is only about a tribal war? And who even says there are no tribal wars in Nigeria?

See am here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-369890.0.html
Re: Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist by Nobody: 2:22am On Dec 23, 2009
mekusxxx:

So tribalism is only about a tribal war? And who even says there are no tribal wars in Nigeria?

See am here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-369890.0.html

Nigerians are thinking beyond tribal and ethnic shits right now and you'll be surprise if you go to Nigeria. People are beginning to have a common enemy which is our corrupt government.

(1) (Reply)

Delta State Govt Building Burnt (document Destroyed) / Seun Osewa Should Be Ashamed / America's CIA and UK Sponsored IBB To Overthrow Gen Buhari's Government ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.