Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,751 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics (40927 Views)

How I Celebrated New Year With N19800 In Kano State. Photos (mrphysics) / NYSC: Why I Should Serve In Niger State? / My NYSC Experience In Kano State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by tripoli007(m): 10:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
Op what about KAno Night life .. Cos all this one u re just saying am not understanding at all .. Shey kano dey groove wella for nite
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by horexy(f): 10:07pm On Sep 11, 2016
2. PPA

In Kano, there's no 70% probability of being posted to town o...only 8 outta d 44 LGAs are towns. I was posted to a village like I said earlier...there's no constant power supply, when I left camp had to be charging my fone with #20 each time my battery got drained. Presently as I type, our power supply is 'low current' which is wat we are given most tyms when we are remembered as per electricity. My PPA doesn't give us food every month except Kiln and two bottles of Izal. Who says there's no U-report? Had to register 100 pple b4 I was able to sign my August clearance. Things are NOT cheap here at all...if u don't understand their language...u are soooooo OYO, they wil not reduce price not even 10kobo angry
There ar some friendly sellers tho but they are 1 outta 200.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by beautyerhu86(f): 10:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
mrphysics:
Numbed Four: Opportunities:

Truth be told, if you can adapt to Kano way of living I. e living in a Muslim community, if you can also stay away from home, the Kano can be a home far away from home. in my last post , someone asked me to compare Kahuna with Kano, the I haven't been to Kaduna , I just passed it. But I took time for the purpose of this post to go down to Kaduna and make a good finding, and I can tell you that Kano beats Kaduna hands-down.

Kano Is a big city home to most companies including dangote , there are diverse product in Kano than in other part of the country, there are companies, schools, hospitals, institutions in Kano. take a walk round Kano, submit your CVs and you will surely be called.

Apart from that, the business life in Kano is another advantage, they are about 3 million persons in Kano and as such a large market. if you have business mindset, am sure you will make money here in Kano. I have Corp members who import things from east and west and sell it in Kano. Also, you can learn many things, sewing, decorations etc in Kano almost free of charge. I don't know How else to talk about this, when you come, I think it will be so obvious.

Think about this, you can move things from Kano down to east or west, you can do many things. Just think of what you want. think of life after NYSC, just meditate on all these things. Kano is a fertile ground for you. yes you

OP write what you know, you have not lived in kaduna to write not good things about it. I was born and brought up in Kaduna, I served in Kano 7 years ago. Funny enough I have families in these two states but I can tell you that Kaduna is more safer than Kano. Stop the hype about kano. I knew how my friends (who came while I was passing out) who lived in a lodge meant for corp members in Taurani L.G ran helter skelter during the 2011 election violence. Even my uncle who lives there always look for a safe place when it's crises. I lived in kaduna till I was 25 before leaving to Lagos and from Lagos to Eastern Europe to further my studies. Never for one day did my family and I ran helter-skelter during crises. As I write, my family members are still living in kaduna and Kano and the difference is clear.

So Mr OP write what you know.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by AnibabaQuadri(m): 10:11pm On Sep 11, 2016
Talking about getting extra certificate lyk PGDE, i will agree with you. Am one dat beneficiary. Currently doing my PGDE in my ppa. and it as being going fyn. Hoping to finish by April next year, by God grace. Well Kano is a nice place to be, but it as is own bad side sha.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mohioma: 10:13pm On Sep 11, 2016
amodu:

I am sorry but aren't few exceptions and I will like to quickly contribute so that intending Kano PCM will not preempt too much and when they eventually find themselves here, disappointment won't be their lot and as a result sending words to you.

» 70% of corpers cannot find themselves in town as Kano has 44 LGAs while only 8 (Nasarawa, Kano Municipal, Ungogo, Dala, Fagae, Tarauni, and two others I can't remember now) constitue the major towns and the rest 36 are villages.

» It is widely known here that Kano have been battling with little/no power supply for quite a while now and the villages are not exempted.

» My village LGA (Bunkure) here, our LGI has made it mandatory since the last two months to bring along our you-report while failure to do so is no clearance and this I confirmed from surrounding village LGAs like , Kibiya, Rano, Tudun-Wada and co. to be the same.

Every other thing I concur, ranging from security, low cost of living, provision of lodges, no cds at villages, etc.

Wow, I served in Bunkere LG in 2004-2005.How is d place now, d corpers lodge etc
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Majorobansa(m): 10:20pm On Sep 11, 2016
iam serving in Plateau state but came to Kano to check on my friend serving in Kano,i have already fallen in love with the state.Telling myself how I wish I served in Kano.Kano is a good place to serve.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by amodu(m): 10:22pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ugmama:

Also, Kano has poor water supply system, flies plenty and sun yakataa....i have been to sabongeri, karaye, and few towns and more villages

Pathetic so to say.

Flies problem during the day, mosquitoes in the night.

To get water, you have to experience an exhausting Manual borehole requiring you pumping it yourself.

Scorching sun when other parts of the country are experiencing heavy rainfall.

We have a story to tell
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Greenbullet(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
mrphysics:
Two, PPA: As a corper, the most important thing is not your state of deployment rather your Place of Primary Assignment (PPA). when we got posted, one of my classmate who was posted to Abuja Was feeling too high. I felt intimidated but before going for service, I knew that state of deployment isn't the Ultimate rather, ones PPA. After Camp, he was posted to a secondary school outside the city of Abuja and he started wailing.

Here in Kano, there is 70% percent possibility of being posted to the town. Most Corp members are posted to the Town and here in the town many opportunities abound.

My friends posted to the village here in Kano enjoy more than us in town. They have constant light, good lodge I. e 1/room, their PPA give them food every Month. remember only few persons go to the village. Also there in the village, No CDS, no U-report, no disturbance from anyone.

Majority posted to the village are most lucky as they can get things doing. most private companies in the town employ Corps members and pay them very well ,if you get lucky, kedco I. e Kano distribution company or dangote company employ your service, then you are of all men most blessed. most PPA here in the town employ you and give you the opportunity of doing other things to earn money. and trust me, as a graduate, if you are wise you will see things u can do and if you are business inclined, believe me, Kano is a fertile ground only be focused.

Also you can't compare cost of living in Kano to most other places, it's far cheaper. Don't mind people talking about rice been costly, here in Kano it's far cheaper, example, as at today, a bag of Thailand rice goes for 22000 in Lagos same bag of rice is 18000 in Kano. I will talk about cost of living separately. The fact that you have high chance of getting a good PPA and been posted to the town is something worth considering. I have seen HND holders use NYSC here in Kano to run their PGD program for the period of one year. Their PPA gives them time and encourages them to do it. when we came we were told at our PPA to go and get PGD ,MSc form at BUK.

You can Maximize your stay in Kano than anywhere else. Therefore, give Kano a chance. It's worth taking.
OLOSHO PLENTY??
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by amodu(m): 10:43pm On Sep 11, 2016
AnibabaQuadri:
I see my oga, how bunkure now

Oh, my brother and colleague. So you also frequent here?

Bunkure should be fine judging by my observation and assessment during this month's clearance and we also received local allawee for the first time.

How is your local government and aku ipalemo odun oooo
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by EazyMoh(m): 10:43pm On Sep 11, 2016
Lol! A friend's sibling was posted from Enugu to Kano this B16, the whole family was crying uncontrollably when his sister who happened to be my colleague when we served together remembered to call me. I gave them assurance that nothing wrong would happen to him. I was giving him direction all the way from Enugu till he entered camp. At the end he was very disappointed when his elder sister worked and relocated him to Cross River. He came and passed the night with me and he was telling me how he fell in love with Kano and that I should help him cancel the relocation....
Anyway the real pity are those who have never left there region but sit down in their villages to conclude how other parts of the world are.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 11, 2016
Me when dey look forward to straff during service no go fit survive kano be that oh, although I find hausa girls irresistable I dey always imagine the kind package dem dey hide under hijab, God forbid say my curiosity take me 6ft before my time.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by zorroeta(f): 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ugosample:

What do you mean by "way of life" and communication problem?
Second, I know some of my cousins who married Hausa peeps there, so I'm just thinking how they did it without "toasting" the girls.

Please expand on these.
Thank you

1. Let me start wit Communication(language barrier), indeed most corpers have issues when they want to buy something, or to locate places. The Hausas are deeply engrossed in Hausa speaking and they are comfortable with it even in govt schls and orgnstns.

2. The peoples way of life in Kano cannot be even compared wit some northern states like kaduna, plateau, niger, - talkless of coming from d south where clubs, hotels, brothels, k**s**g in public/ hugging/partying, beer parlor, and joints are very common. Am sure u must heard of d HISBA board(whose sole objective is fighting against all sort of these immoralities). So u need 2 adapt.

3. Its true, intermarriages often occurs between a southerner and the hausas but majority are not wit their daughters(believe me, b4 it happens, a serious fight do occurs wit both parties coz of religious/cultural differences. Some parents even disown their daughters). And u know, Kano ar vry religous, A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian woman, but a Christian man is not permitted to marry a Muslim woman. Better u stay off!

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Ugosample(m): 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2016
zorroeta:

1. Let me start wit Communication(language barrier), indeed most corpers have issues when they want to buy something, or to locate places. The Hausas are deeply engrossed in Hausa speaking and they are comfortable with it even in govt schls and orgnstns.

2. The peoples way of life in Kano cannot be even compared wit some northern states like kaduna, plateau, niger, - talkless of coming from d south where clubs, hotels, brothels, k**s**g in public/ hugging/partying, beer parlor, and joints are very common. Am sure u must heard of d HISBA board(whose sole objective is fighting against all sort of these immoralities). So u need 2 adapt.

3. Its true, intermarriages often occurs between a southerner and the hausas but majority are not wit their daughters(believe me, b4 it happens, a serious fight do occurs wit both parties coz of religious/cultural differences. Some parents even disown their daughters). And u know, Kano ar vry religous, A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian woman, but a Christian man is not permitted to marry a Muslim woman. Better u stay off!

Why is a Muslim man allowed to marry a Christan but not the same with Muslim women?
Is it a complex or something?
That has been my orobkrn with these people, double standards.

Only if things could be less volatile up north...
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by amodu(m): 10:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
mohioma:

Wow, I served in Bunkere LG in 2004-2005.How is d place now, d corpers lodge etc

Wow, I remove head dress and offer 3 hearty cheers for a forefather of Bunkure LGA.

Well, the road is now a four lane with a divider.

The lodge is still there but dilapidated though we're managing as half a loaf of bread is better than none.

The Local Government is always dry as if it is a graveyard, workers' presence aren't felt at all, portions of land within the premises are leased out for farmers to cultivate while it also houses a livestock farmer.

Those are the things I can pinpoint for now SIR

CAN I BENEFIT FROM COPING MEASURES YOU ADOPTED WHILE HERE
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by zorroeta(f): 11:02pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ugosample:

Why is a Muslim man allowed to marry a Christan but not the same with Muslim women?

Yap, we may need answers frm our muslim folks.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ugosample:

If a Christian woman marries a Muslim man – the family of the husband, will not abuse or insult any of her Prophets – because in Islam, we believe in all the Prophets of the Jews and the Christians – what Prophets they believe in, we believe in. We both believe in Adam, in Noah, in David, in Moosa, in Isaa (May peace be upon them all). Because we believe in all of their Prophets… the lady, when she enters a Muslim family, she will not be ridiculed.

But the vice-versa – if a Muslim lady goes to a family of a Christian or a Jew… but natural, they do not believe in Prophet Muhammed (May peace be upon him), and she will be ridiculed. That is why, Islam gives permission for a Muslim man, to marry a girl from the Christian or Jews family

Hope I did not offend you 4 telling u d reason.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Ugosample(m): 11:19pm On Sep 11, 2016
FriendChoice:

If a Christian woman marries a Muslim man – the family of the husband, will not abuse or insult any of her Prophets – because in Islam, we believe in all the Prophets of the Jews and the Christians – what Prophets they believe in, we believe in. We both believe in Adam, in Noah, in David, in Moosa, in Isaa (May peace be upon them all). Because we believe in all of their Prophets… the lady, when she enters a Muslim family, she will not be ridiculed.

But the vice-versa – if a Muslim lady goes to a family of a Christian or a Jew… but natural, they do not believe in Prophet Muhammed (May peace be upon him), and she will be ridiculed. That is why, Islam gives permission for a Muslim man, to marry a girl from the Christian or Jews family

Hope I did not offend you 4 telling u d reason.

Your reason does not offend me, not at all.

But it has been a thought I could not comprehend at all.

But in Yoruba land, Muslim girls marry Christian guys a lot.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Alcatraz003: 11:24pm On Sep 11, 2016
I wont advise any southern christian to go anywhere near the core north to serve. It is tantamount to suicide.

Nuffsaid

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ugosample:

Your reason does not offend me, not at all.
But it has been a thought I could not comprehend at all.
But in Yoruba land, Muslim girls marry Christian guys a lot.
Ok they did it. Then it's against the islamic teaching.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by divalindiway(f): 11:42pm On Sep 11, 2016
The best State to serve in is no other state than Akwa Ibom
I served there, and I currently live in Kano. Social life in Kano is -0.5% even in the Sabon Bari everyone is talking about, no quality social life. No good event to bring like minds, Most business that strive here are the buy and sell type of business.
The only thing I can say is the cost of living which is quite fair
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by greggng: 11:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
mrphysics:
statistics have shown that more corpers die in south south than North west of recent. one thing that pushes prospective corps members from choosing Kano state as their choice of state is insecurity and unless they are told they wouldn't believe that Kano is more secure than other states unlike what is widely thought. Serving in Kano state has been a blessing and I have seen reasons why YOU should choose Kano state.

I Will spend time talking about Kano state and give some detailed reason why Kano should be your first choice of state during NYSC.

let's get started

one: Security when the call up letter showed and I was posted to Kano, The fear of security gave me some sleepless night. as the only son, my physical well being is not only important but paramount to my decision making, but I can boldly tell you that as a Corp member in Kano, you are more secured than anyone. since we came, we haven't heard of any Corp member dying because of

security, not even beating or attacked. those serving in villages are given tight security and their affairs given top priority. The natives of Kano have been warned to obey Corpers. they respect you, love you, honour you and render help to you as long as you let them know you are a corper. unlike what is heard in other states of Corpers dying, beating or kidnapped.

Also, due to the sensitivity of security here in Kano, your movement is restricted only by yourself making you more secured as no one will ever think of breaking into your house to harm you.

Kano indigenes are very religious and as such most of them can't harm you. ladies are angels in Kano. everything favours them, they can't be raped nor harassed provided they respect themselves by dressing decently. you see, security is not a reason why you shouldn't choose Kano state. Everywhere in Kano is well secured, you can see the presence of security in most places even at your work places. l challenge you to call any serving corper in Kano and you will never here that her security is bleached. As a corper you are more secure than anyone else living in Kano. Always go with your I. D card.

Pay me 20billion I won't serve or work in the north. The yorubas and igbos re more accommodating and secure. I did my nysc at ogbomoso and I was treated like a king by the people. Aju wire was the name they call us. I don't pay for anything in the market including transportation. Just wear ur head dress and u re good to go. As the clo I was always visited by the dpo in the corper lodge to discuss security matters. We even play football matches with the community. We end it up with a big party irrespective of who won
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by omoikea(m): 11:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
if u like tell me say them dey pick money for ground there
or you like tell me say their trees there dey produce money
I WILL STILL NOT CHOOSE IT grin grin grin
#proudly PCM B 16
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by sylviaeo(f): 12:02am On Sep 12, 2016
amodu:

My sister, I disagree.

There are no security threats in Kano and for the first time in 2 years, the Seriki N Kano (Emir of Kano) celebrated the salah fun fair whereby he will ride on horse along the major streets of Kano with his entourage.

Also, things are considerably cheap considering other states.

Perhaps your prior impression about Kano and fear of North informed your relocation.
but when u r a Christian, d chances of being safe gets shot down to hell.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by hUmaneOne: 12:13am On Sep 12, 2016
alfarouq:

After everything you complained about, you have spent 2 years and still counting. What do you take people for

Attack my message and not the messenger..
Am I speaking the truth or not?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by imlawal3: 12:23am On Sep 12, 2016
I was born n brought up in kano,non Muslims area are most expensive but also make more money if business oriented in kano,most corpers dat serve in my secondary school still lives in kano n are doing great, corpers are respected coz they are d only opportunities of good teachers

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:17am On Sep 12, 2016
beautyerhu86:

OP write what you know, you have not lived in kaduna to write not good things about it. I was born and brought up in Kaduna, I served in Kano 7 years ago. Funny enough I have families in these two states but I can tell you that Kaduna is more safer than Kano. Stop the hype about kano. I knew how my friends (who came while I was passing out) who lived in a lodge meant for corp members in Taurani L.G ran helter skelter during the 2011 election violence. Even my uncle who lives there always look for a safe place when it's crises. I lived in kaduna till I was 25 before leaving to Lagos and from Lagos to Eastern Europe to further my studies. Never for one day did my family and I ran helter-skelter during crises. As I write, my family members are still living in kaduna and Kano and the difference is clear.

So Mr OP write what you know.
Madam, a seven years old child is in primary three
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:19am On Sep 12, 2016
Ugosample:

That is the key issue with the north.
ILLITERACY And lack of exposure (inferiority complex too)
if we tackle this, then the north will be better.
Exactly what makes it better for you, because you are wanted everywhere because of your education level
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:51am On Sep 12, 2016
Fingerprinter:
Hmm
OP, please anytime you write, always state that the things you're writing are things obtainable in your current location.
Everything you wrote up there about Corp members having a lot of free time is only applicable to Corp members posted to government institutions. This is also what is obtainable everywhere in the country, not just in kano alone.
Again, Sabon gari which is the only in habitable place for foreigners in kano state is a bit expensive. Accommodation there is expensive and lot of other things because of the presence of the Igbos there. Infact if you don't have any other means of generating income as a copa in sabon gari, then you're definitely on a long thing as the nysc stipend would barely take you for three weeks there.
The light situation in kano only improved last month and is already beginning to falter again.
Continue sha, we are following
Maybe the light in your location is having an issue. Because, light is stable in Kano even my friends in the village confirms this. Yes things are way higher in Sabon gari beacuse of the presence of the igbos but let it be the price they will pay because it's also more secured. my friend always visit me beacuse of our constant light. Also most private institutions in Sabon gari pays corpers and the government ones that don't pay also give free time to run around and make money. You should know that kano is given much attention compared to other northern state, even the infrastructures in Kano, the road and flyovers is not in anyway obtainable in kaduna.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 2:11am On Sep 12, 2016
omoikea:
if u like tell me say them dey pick money for ground there

or you like tell me say their trees there dey produce money

I WILL STILL NOT CHOOSE IT grin grin grin

#proudly PCM
B 16
How will you understand PCM B16
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 2:14am On Sep 12, 2016
divalindiway:
The best State to serve in is no other state than Akwa Ibom
I served there, and I currently live in Kano. Social life in Kano is -0.5% even in the Sabon Bari everyone is talking about, no quality social life. No good event to bring like minds, Most business that strive here are the buy and sell type of business.
The only thing I can say is the cost of living which is quite fair
Madam, when did you finish service, Akwa Ibom isn't what it used to be. here everyone lives a low key life,making small money and atleast eating three square meal pay day

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 2:17am On Sep 12, 2016
zorroeta:

Yap, we may need answers frm our muslim folks.
sister, please, don't turn this thread to a religious one. thanks and Eid Mubaraq
Re: Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 2:21am On Sep 12, 2016
amodu:

Pathetic so to say.

Flies problem during the day, mosquitoes in the night.

To get water, you have to experience an exhausting Manual borehole requiring you pumping it yourself.

Scorching sun when other parts of the country are experiencing heavy rainfall.

We have a story to tell
Then go to Enugu and you will understand better. i live in Enugu, spent lot of my time and years in enugu, so i can tell you that there is more water in kano than in Enugu. In which stay do corps members have water connected directly to their bathroom? kano is better because, these boreholes are everywhere. Mai rua that sell water, sell it very cheap. N20/25 liters gallon. Let's be truthful brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Consider Suspending NYSC Camps For 2 Years, Osinbajo Committee Tells FG / Ebola: NYSC Suspends Orientation In Six States / What are the effects of missing NYSC Clearance For A Month?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.