Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? (33353 Views)

"Cheating Is Okay If Your Home Is Okay" - Nigerian Man Advises / The Woman My Best Friend Is About To Marry This Saturday Has No Womb, Help / 16-Year-Old Girl Writes Letter/Will Before Her Death In The North. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by komododragons: 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please
na una dey make our women still dey single at 40 undecided

so once she reach 25 yrs you still expect the man to come dey look for her?

in fact 18 yes dey over ripe for marriage, why una black men dey make things hard for una self?

you won tell me say if she enter university boys no go dey fuccck her like mad or she no go dey do abortion or even catch that disease? undecided

na that time you as there adviser and her parents go dey say "I thuus know I thusss know she for Ku ku marry the guy"

check the street now, no be age 25 and above dey walker like like mad people up and down dey look for who go marry them?

make she choice weti dey best for her jorr.

peradventure now na you go go snick fucck the girl clean mouth comot.

abeg make we hear word jior.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Smallyyyyy: 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2016
I married at 18 n hubby sent me to school thereafter... Let her marry..

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ademy2007: 2:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
If she love the man, let her sincerely ask for Gods direction n let his will prevail. Begging any body and taking decision that will affect you 4 life should not be joke with. later if yes she can continue her education. Do not look at materials things an decide for 4 her cos when problems start she might need to start all over again .
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ObodoJ2: 2:21pm On Sep 13, 2016
There's no stipulated age for a woman as long as she's no longer a minor. The most important thing is what your sister really want. in my opinion, your sister should focus on her education because with exposure, women tend to change their priorities especially concerning marriage. If there's no strong footing for her, she might end up being a housewife which will not favor her on the long run. some men don't fulfill their promise of sending their wives to school after wedding. One of my classmates in high school is yet to recover from that failed promise.

Above all, your parents should not force her if she doesn't really want to get married now. As for you, you can only advice her and not decide for her. shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by sanpipita(m): 2:22pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please
Its very much okay to marry at 20 if one is independent and responsible enough but again your sis is still schooling and no guarantees this guy will fulfil his promises, you might be surprised after marriage he will be one to complain about your sister being a liability to him, let her complete her studies and if possible get a job before any talk of marriage

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by naijafeminist: 2:23pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:

I don't like arrangee marriage at all so I won't support this. See how you guys her trying to make life decisions for her in 2016. Does she even love him?

4 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by godunia(m): 2:25pm On Sep 13, 2016
If you want to see your great grandchildren, pls do. If you want to be satisfied bringing up your children only then wait. ...
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 13, 2016
Be careful, most of the ladies advising you here have passed marriageable age . Some of them will be biased in their opinion.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by komododragons: 2:26pm On Sep 13, 2016
schumastic:
she is not ready yet
but you dey go fuccck small small girls Girls? undecided

so those small small girls you dey fucck them no dey ready for marriage abi ?

ask your mother when she marry your father she go tell you say she marry at the age of 18......

una dey make things hard for una self joor.

there is no law that say 18 is not ripe for marriage. even the oyinbo were una dey follow.

18 is recommendable for marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Drunkinlove(f): 2:28pm On Sep 13, 2016
My dear,am a student counsellor by d grace of God.From my own side of view,i think d guy has some negative things in mind aside marriage,cos he came wen she was 18 nd later came back at d age of 20,nd his reasons for marrying her being a stupid reason dat he wants a light skinned person.ok,does dat mean he hasnt seen a light skinned person from ur village since,nd d way he begs for d marriage is suspicious.pls let ur sis enter tetiary institution(university)at least to 300level,den she will be sure dat she wnt be told to stop school nd will graduate soon.for me,a graduate in marriage is beta because she has hope of getting job by d grace of God.I rest my case oo

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2016
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde married when she was 18, go figure

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Taryur3(m): 2:30pm On Sep 13, 2016
20? Walahi if the girl am eyeing now is 20...nothing can delay me buh d issue is she is still 17 and am angrily waiting for her to clock 18.for the fact that the guy is from a good home...and d love is there for both pls allow dem to unite.dere are so many guys outdere...buh husband dey very scarce.ask Lady comfort she will tell u her own ordeal
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by komododragons: 2:31pm On Sep 13, 2016
BABANGBALI:
No try am o. My is for mature people. You must be matured in everything including your toto.
Tell your sister to face her studies and enjoy life small. Marriage no easy o. I have tolded you my own
so those women were there Toto don over mature for marriage and never see husband weti you come call them undecided

abeg park well jorr
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by xendra: 2:33pm On Sep 13, 2016
OseIbhadode93:
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde married when she was 18, go figure
omotola was lucky oooo. she married a good man not every woman gets that lucky. at least if the decision was yours you have no one to blame.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by BABANGBALI: 2:35pm On Sep 13, 2016
komododragons:
so those women were there Toto don over mature for marriage and never see husband weti you come call them undecided

abeg park well jorr
if I tear you hungry man slap,you brain go reset tongue tongue
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by DjAduba(m): 2:35pm On Sep 13, 2016
naijamakossa:
our northern ladies are in the right position to answer you sir/madam

because many of them,their bride price was paid when they are still in their moms womb
Youngman that belongs to all African cultures irrespective of their traditional belief. check it up pls.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 13, 2016
As long as the lady in question ie your sister loves the man,I really dont see the big deal here!
BTW tell your mother to stop visiting prophets and pray to God unless your family aren't staunch Christians!
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ceeceeuwa: 2:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
Combining education and marriage is no child's play o! Even single persons still struggle to find their footing, let a lone a married woman... imagine a pregnant woman with morning sickness preparing for exams, at that moment you will feel like the world has come crashing. You people should look at it from different angles. The guy should wait till she gains admission, probably he can come for her in her 200 or 300 level if he is really serious about the whole marriage stuff.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by CaptainRahl(m): 2:37pm On Sep 13, 2016
VolT0xic:
My Mum married at the Age of 21-22. She was majoring in nursing at then. Well, 25 years later and counting, she is very, very happy and blessed in the union. And that's cos she loved my Dad. What I'm trying to say is maturity isn't the precursor to a happy marriage. Love is. So I ask is your sister in love with the man? Or is this just a case of arranged marriage? At that age 20, she's physically ready. But socially, mentally & emotionally, I don't know.
I can relate to this. A similar thing happened to big sis. She got married as an undergraduate (20/21yo). I never liked her husband one bit. May be I was just a boy who feels jealous that some guy is planning to snatch my lovely sister in marriage wink . 10 years later, their marriage is blessed with three naughty sweethearts. I also realized that her husband (a staunch aviator just like me) was a cool guy afterall.

@ Mosesbutez I think you guys should allow your sister to decide if she really wants to get married at his age or not.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by akaballball: 2:38pm On Sep 13, 2016
my advice.....If d girl wants to go to school..let her get admission first . then she can marry...but to stay in d mans house n start n pregnancy strightooo....she has to ...choose marriage or school..

my story....

a well good guy came to marry me when i finished secondary school....promised to send me to school..my parent said no i havr to go to school ..
am also fair skinned n pretty...
forward match...
after school....i am married now

but to a better good guy educated....

but d former is not educated..n am sure i wondnt av gone to school if i av married him...

give her a chance to go to school..

if d guy loves her he will wait ...

but there are many better guys..shaaa

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 13, 2016
True
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by diva90: 2:41pm On Sep 13, 2016
VolT0xic:
My Mum married at the Age of 21-22. She was majoring in nursing at then. Well, 25 years later and counting, she is very, very happy and blessed in the union. And that's cos she loved my Dad. What I'm trying to say is maturity isn't the precursor to a happy marriage. Love is. So I ask is your sister in love with the man? Or is this just a case of arranged marriage? At that age 20, she's physically ready. But socially, mentally & emotionally, I don't know.

Remember that was back then! Times have greatly changed. These days it's not a good idea for any woman to get married at such a young age. Not only is she naive and hasn't seen what life is all about at that age but then again, marriage is just too complicated these days. Let her go to school and discover herself first. Explore a career while building her skills and making some little money of her own. Marriage can come when she's 24 or 25 and above.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by jaywhoco(m): 2:45pm On Sep 13, 2016
20? What those girls know ehn some mama no know!
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by lagdmark(m): 2:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
able20:
In Northern part of Nigeria a 20year women has stopped giving birth after 4 children.
But the Op no be Abooki naa
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ik360: 2:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yes it is very ok but u will need to b mature as maturity is not just age and consider so many things. My mom got married at 18 and I can tell u she is d best.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by fortunechy(m): 2:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
ask ur yard pple
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by abdulkayus(m): 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
able20:
In Northern part of Nigeria a 20year women has stopped giving birth after 4 children.

U guys shld take it easy wit all this lies nah abeg. Even though, i agree that northerners do marry early, bt sayin dey hav stop givin birth at 20 after 4 kids is a blatant lie.
Nowadays, some northerners dont even marry till during their final year in university, or after graduation or after service.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by rosalieene(f): 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
Its up to the girl
Besides 90% of guys that promise to send the girls they intend to marry to school don't. Most times, its the ladies that try as much as possible to train herself even in pregnancy.
Tell the guy to wait till she gets admission... That's if your sister really wants to settle with him. marriage is a life time contract and not what someone should rush into.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by tjay01(m): 2:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
It is very obvious that u cooked up this story just to get attention because the story just dosent add up.

No Nigerian parent who struggled to train his/her child will give her up for marriage unless he is wealthy and in any case they wont seek your advise before making a decision but nonetheless ill share my opinion.

If d guy is mature in every sense and has achieved a lot for himself materially, emotionally then she should CONSIDER it if she loves him, otherwise she shd obtain her degree first. The reason why i said that is because Money plays a very vital role in determining the success of a marriage even when there is love.

With money, love can grow but without it, it could be very difficult unless they have genuine love for each other and are willing to stick together no matter the circumstance.

Kanu married Amara when she was 18 and they are still together so age dosent really matter provided he is mature enough, has d financial wherewithal to take care of her and is not just lusting after her young body. But from what u posted, i can deduce that the imaginary guy is not mature enough, since he is only attracted by her skin color and is only lusting after her.

Next time, think thoroughly b4 cooking up a story. Fiction is an art and it requires intelligence.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
If he can wait two years for her to finish her secondary, he can wait four years for her to finish her tertiary.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by repogirl(f): 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
Please let your sister go to school. There is no reason to rush her like this. He might default on his promise to send her to school and then what would happen to her? She will become almost useless to the society except she works extra hard to help herself.

Even if he sends her to school, it is very hard managing one's education along with distraction as huge as a husband and kids. She doesn't need the stress please.

Besides his reasons for getting married to her are not good enough. How would you see an intelligent girl and entrap her in marriage instead of encouraging her so that she can become useful to her family and the society. Then what is fair skin and from the same village? Is that what makes up a woman ready to be married?

He should wait for her abeg. If this were the olden days, yeah maybe they could have married but this is the 21st century and both men and women have to be well equipped to face the challenges of the society we live in. Let her finish school.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 13, 2016
I got married dis year and am 21 and am heavy with pregnancy... I love my husband...he loves me too am in my 200l In school plus feeding allowance and iPhone 6...I love him so much tho he's not always around a military man in sambisa forest...I remember wen he proposed to me at yabatech love garden and av never regret saying yes to his proposal and Insha Allah I will not...we r expecting our baby girl in two months. Tho he is strict and his temper his hot dats y am d water that always quench his fire....if u pray about it no matter what may happen...just put everything in God s hands and u will see God s hands in everything...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does A Working Couple Cope Without A Maid? / Son Pranks Father With Fake SMS Alert / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.