Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? (33335 Views)

"Cheating Is Okay If Your Home Is Okay" - Nigerian Man Advises / The Woman My Best Friend Is About To Marry This Saturday Has No Womb, Help / 16-Year-Old Girl Writes Letter/Will Before Her Death In The North. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by tjay01(m): 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2016
It is very obvious that u cooked up this story just to get attention because the story just dosent add up.

No Nigerian parent who struggled to train his/her child will give her up for marriage unless they are extremely poor or the guy is wealthy and in any case they wont seek your advise before taking a decision.

Nonetheless ill share my views; If d guy is mature in every sense and has achieved a lot for himself materially, emotionally then she may CONSIDER it, otherwise she shd obtain her degree first. The reason why i said that is because Money plays a very vital role in determining the success of any marriage even when there is love.

With money, love can grow but without it, it could be very difficult unless they have genuine love for each other and are willing to stick together no matter the circumstance.

Kanu married Amara when she was 18 and they are still together so age dosent really matter provided he is mature enough, has d financial wherewithal to take care of her and is not just lusting after her young body. But from what u posted, i can deduce that the imaginary guy is not mature enough, since he is only attracted by her skin color and is only lusting after her.

Next time, think thoroughly b4 cooking up a story. Fiction is an art and it requires some level of intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by deltateam: 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
Because the guy came before and was chased out by my parents then come again years later to ask her hand in marriage , he has even told our relatives and uncle about it, asked them to beg my parents for him to get married to her. He even begs my mum's friend for them to convince my mum, and it's makes me suspicious about him... But I kept silent bcoz I don't want to be a prosperity blocker and the guy is really successful and people said he is from a good background.

Because of it my mum went to so many prophets to know if the guy is really meant for her, the prophets saying the same thing that the guy is good but she will get pregnant immediately he marries her and for her education, its left for my dad to negotiate with him. .. So times I thought that these prophets are just using their common sense to advice her.

If I said no to the marriage I might be blocking what God has kept for her but if I accept and bad things happens I might hate my decision for her. .. She is currently working with my mum in her shop and is waiting for her admission, she said the man usually visits them and she is now gradually developing love for the guy... But I still find it difficult to accept the guy bcoz of her education and she is not well grounded in things like marriage. ...

Simply tell him that your sister is not ready cos in this Nigeria if anything happens like death, separation or divorce(variables) which I cancel though. Your sister will not be able to cope, she will then become a burden to your family.

This is recession period. Once she marries na to dey born pikin. For her to pick up again, she may find it difficult or lose interest entirely in school. 4 years is not too far to wait. Besides his reasons for marriage are shallow. Is he Mrcork? Light skin lover.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Femich18(m): 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
VolT0xic:
My Mum married at the Age of 21-22. She was majoring in nursing at then. Well, 25 years later and counting, she is very, very happy and blessed in the union. And that's cos she loved my Dad. What I'm trying to say is maturity isn't the precursor to a happy marriage. Love is. So I ask is your sister in love with the man? Or is this just a case of arranged marriage? At that age 20, she's physically ready. But socially, mentally & emotionally, I don't know.
Yea you are very right...my boss at work got married at the age of 16 and went to school in her husband's house
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by electrokcoi(m): 3:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
lilmax:
she's more than 18..... yes
it's her choice..... yes
after marriage education continues....... yes

it's her RIGHT cool
that adult age is supposed to be amended because even most girls of 25 still operate with the Brian of little children
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by delishpot: 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
If she wants to marry, let her marry.
It seems he is way older than her, hence he is rushing things. She could marry after gaining admission into school. Then they both can decide to not get pregnant until she is through with school.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Boyooosa(m): 3:09pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the to her parents, the guy came when she who to just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote has written jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please
Are you a 'Yor' man / woman

In btw read this Omotola's Interview: http://www.onigeria.com/news/36958.html
“I don’t care much about it. I don’t even want to think about that because I got married early. What I always tell people is that all fingers are not equal. The fact that I got married early does not mean that my own child will get married early. My mother didn’t marry early. So it is not hereditary. But if my daughter wants to get married early and I like the guy and If I see that he is responsible enough, why not?”
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2016
if I had a man willing to settle down when I was 20 would have agreed, by now would have finished having kids by now, so no,20 is not too young
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2016
getting married at 20yrs is not ideal. at this stage,shes infatuated and i bet u, op the guy wont complete her education. my advice:d guy shud b patient, make she gain admission in d university, then year 3,he can marry her,by then shes sure, she truly wants him as a life partner. pls talk to her and yur parents to hold on for some years. suitors are ready to promise heaven on earth.pls let him wait
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by UmmKhalifah(f): 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
VolT0xic:
My Mum married at the Age of 21-22. She was majoring in nursing at then. Well, 25 years later and counting, she is very, very happy and blessed in the union. And that's cos she loved my Dad. What I'm trying to say is maturity isn't the precursor to a happy marriage. Love is. So I ask is your sister in love with the man? Or is this just a case of arranged marriage? At that age 20, she's physically ready. But socially, mentally & emotionally, I don't know.
dat is ur mum ma dear, marriage is more dan that

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Iseoluwani: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. [/b]The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ).[b] He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

They asks my opinion on the matter and what I thought is that the girl has not matured enough. I hadn't reply to the parents so I seek to get information first before replying. .

The girl in question is my little sister. .. Please I need advice from married or someone that has an experience of it. .. Please

The one I highlighted have said it all

what a bad reason to get married, if the skin fades away nko, he would look for another reason be that

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by simplex2: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
It's just not about age, their are 20yr olds that are awaiting their Nysc. If your sis has gone thru tertiary institution, then she is mentally ready to get married. But I am afraid she is not ready yet, not because of age but because of lack of exposure, experience on how to deal with things, how to manage school stress with religion and social life, deal with lack of funds.

Of course there are loads of them we met while at school, engaged to a man and still fvcking us with all their heart. Your sis thinks she's in love with him because he's the only reasonable guy paying attention to her for now...lol.

Pls insist your sis at least gets an admission FIRST.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by mecussey(m): 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2016
CaroLyner:
at 20 what she should be thinking of is her education and how to build a successful career for herself
is your sister ready for the toils and hassles of marriage?
is she willng to get married to im?
is she mentally mature for what comes afterwards?
these are some of the questions you should be asking her

Any girl who is not matured at 20 is a dummy already. In this fast moving world, you will be thinking slow? @ 20 every girl should be a graduate to face her career. However, marriage is part of a woman's career.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by jjbest123(m): 3:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yester Years Is Not The Same As Today, Education First, Career Then Marriage Let Her Not Miss A Step IMO
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by ephi123(f): 3:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:
For a 20 years old girl to get married, is it right? .......... According the her parents, the guy came when she who just 18 years and still in secondary school but was rejected by the parents bcoz she was underaged and still in ss3 .

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

This is not a good enough reason to base such a huge decision on.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Hallenjay: 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:

Then after 2 years the guy came back again and still begs the parents to marry her but she had wrote jamb this year and is still waiting for the screening and admission to commence. The only reason that guy wanted to get married to the girl is because he said that he like natural fair skin ladies, intelligent and from the same village ( home town ). He had promised her that he would take care of her education when married to her . From the parents view, the guy is from a very good home.

nothing bad about d age...can she handle a man.... if quarrel burst.. does she behave mature, u know ur sis more dan i.... ask ur sef.. if she can handle marriage at her level... from my side... I feel she may not be able to not because of age bt her life experience bt if odawise den she's gud to go bt most important tin is her love for d man... if its not her choice pls don't force and wat abt d age gap btw dem... cos out of shy she can manage to say yes until times tell... pls u have lot of work to do.... u can begin to test her temper now... u begin d marriage seminar for her as soon as possible.... do talk to her abt mistake and tell her if she finally got married is dat how she gonna behave..... miss tins together and read out her turnout if she's ready.... u must see lot of signs
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Kazrem(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2016
Not good. Not advisable.
A girl of 20 years who is just about to get admission. How is she going to combine matrimony with academics? If she had been in university or better still in 300 or 400 level, it would be better but in 100 level, not good. Let the man wait till she is in 400 if he truly loves her. Ewoni iranu?

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by geronimoedeh1(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2016
jealousy... jealous girls advicing her against getting married cox dey are in dere late twenties,wit d so called education n career n yet no husband....so dat she wil get into school n start fuckin around lik all u girls....my daughter wil get married,finish having her babies b4 i wil let her go to part tym school..

3 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by blesoh(f): 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:

I got Married three month to my 20th birthday, 6yrs down the line we are still much in love, if your sister is matured why not? Remember ladies marry at 39 still divorce the next month, if she understands her man and the man understand her too then they are good to go. My 2cent.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by simplex2: 3:34pm On Sep 13, 2016
geronimoedeh1:
jealousy... jealous girls advicing her against getting married cox dey are in dere late twenties,wit d so called education n career n yet no husband....so dat she wil get into school n start fuckin around lik all u girls....my daughter wil get married,finish having her babies b4 i wil let her go to part tym school..

So people like you still dey exist? What stops the married little girl from fvcking fine boys she meets at school?

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by danbrowndmf(m): 3:34pm On Sep 13, 2016
baddestchic:
most guys that actually promise to send the girls to school after marriage do not do it.... they are usually afraid that they will mix and meet people of their age or meet better guys. let her discover herself

but if youre okay with playing probability with the life and future of your sister then agree

meanwhile being an housewife means you need to ask for money for maggi toothpaste.... and on a day he tells u i dnt have you cant shout or argue
GBAM!
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by lekonso: 3:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
Please don't marry out that little girl at 20. Let her complete her 1st degree at least before thinking of marriage. These days people are gunning for masters degree. You are funny o, you said the boy is from a good home, are his parents going to feed the girl for him?

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by stuffs4me(m): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2016
Its OK is she has a good suitor.

My major fear is that your little sister may start to misbehave when she gets to the University. The guy is taking a big risk with your sister.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Mrbllymer: 3:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:

The guy in question gave lame reasons for wanting to marry your sister.

Can she handle the test of time concerning the demands of marriage?

If he can wait for two years why not till the girl finishes her education, stable physically, emotionally et all.

This is twenty-first century it's a probability the guy will make her a full house wife, anything she needs will be demanded from the guy, who does that in this age?

What happens if the promise he made about sponsoring her through her tertiary education wasn't fulfilled, she becomes semi illiterate?

God forbid if something happens to the guy, can she run the family? Will the guy's family not call her a gold digger and send her out if something bad happens?

Are you sure the guy will not later call her semi illiterate and take another woman in?

It's all boils down to the main question you should ask yourself which is:
If you are in her shoes what will you do?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by stuffs4me(m): 3:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
komododragons:
na una dey make our women still dey single at 40 undecided

so once she reach 25 yrs you still expect the man to come dey look for her?

in fact 18 yes dey over ripe for marriage, why una black men dey make things hard for una self?

you won tell me say if she enter university boys no go dey fuccck her like mad or she no go dey do abortion or even catch that disease? undecided

na that time you as there adviser and her parents go dey say "I thuus know I thusss know she for Ku ku marry the guy"

check the street now, no be age 25 and above dey walker like like mad people up and down dey look for who go marry them?

make she choice weti dey best for her jorr.

peradventure now na you go go snick fucck the girl clean mouth comot.

abeg make we hear word jior.

Bros, chop knuckle.
You just hit the nail on the head..

She may grow to hate her family if she miss this opportunity. She may never get another guy that will love truly love her like this one.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by PresVA: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2016
I won't allow my daughter get married before getting atleast a BSc..
Even if the man will sponsor her, combining school, childbirth and family no easy..

It's her call shaa..

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by olubenjazzy(m): 4:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
The guy don't even have enough strong reasons to marry her... Especially talking about liking fair skinned ladies. That alone will be my reason of not letter her in Any way closer to my sister. She's still young and her skin and d beauty he saw is still fresh, so once that stuff he saw in her start changing after some time, he will surely go to another family and look for another fresh fair skinned lady.

Allow your sister get something working for her, if it's for her to start with schooling, and other training while in school, and lastly leave her to decide if she like d said man or choose another person...

Am not married yet
But I know what doesn't make sense from what do make sense. #Save #Your #Sister and defend her in all ways, she will thank you in future.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Akinaukwa: 4:13pm On Sep 13, 2016
realdee44:
Are you really comparing 25years ago with today? Besides what worked for one may not work for another.
You correct no be small. My mum married at the age of 15years then when proper home grooming led to early maturity etc, but these days many ladies even at 25 still need pampers.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by jacy67(f): 4:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mosesbutez:

Because of it my mum went to so many prophets to know if the guy is really meant for her, the prophets saying the same thing that the guy is good but she will get pregnant immediately he marries her and for her education, its left for my dad to negotiate with him. .. So times I thought that these prophets are just using their common sense to advice her.

Mind you that some prophets prophesy for their pocket and will always tell you what you want to hear.
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by Bonuwa: 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2016
Perfect
Re: Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? by komododragons: 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2016
stuffs4me:

Bros, chop knuckle.
You just hit the nail on the head..

She may grow to hate her family if she miss this opportunity. She may never get another guy that will love truly love her like this one.
I wonder ohh.

we dey talk about sch SCH sch, no be we were finish sch no see job do!

no be open university dey if she won go sch! why most it be university.

let her chose what she want, not everything goes the way of the parent and adviser. sometimes you just have to make the discission yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage / Who Is A Guy With Potential?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.