Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This (110223 Views)

Throat Cancer & MouthAction: Why Men Should Use Fingers & Not Tongue - Dr. Mensah / This Is Why You Should Not Eat Snakes / Men, See Why You Should Not Eat “okro” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by IncredibleJoe(m): 11:37am On Sep 13, 2016
Okro, also known as the "ladies finger" is a flowering plant in the mallow family. it is very nutritious as it is highly rich in carbohydrate, vitamins, water, and protein.

Although, it is very nutritious, studies have shown that it may be dangerous to men as it can cause infertilty. Okro has aunique substance called "GOSSYPOL". Gossypol inhibits sperm production and motility by blocking several enzymews that are highly important in energy metabolism in sperm  and sperm producing cells.

Gossypol has been used as a male contraceptive for years in china. some clinical research were conducted in regards the effectiveness of gossypol as a contraceptive in 1986 and 1990 in china and Brazil respectively. The studies showed that gossypol lowered the number and motility of sperms and made small percentage of men infertile permanently.

Gossypol may also cause menstrual irregularity in women. it has also been linked to hypokalemia and also damage to red blood cells leading to heamolytic anaemia.

Conclusively, Okro in higher amount is not recommended in people with following conditions:

Anaemic people
athletes
Infertile men undergoing medical investigation and treatment.
women who complains of irregular menses.

Source:http://sakajoe..com.ng/2016/09/why-you-should-not-eat-okro-if-you-male.html?m=1

8 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by HungerBAD: 11:39am On Sep 13, 2016
Cool.

Okro and Stew always on point.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by themonk(m): 11:54am On Sep 13, 2016
Please don't tell me what to eat in this economic situation. Every food na food now except rice undecided

423 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by JewelRegi(f): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yea it's truth have read about it before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by yanabasee(m): 1:13pm On Sep 13, 2016
Op I got this on google as well....

Okra and okra seeds contain trace amounts of
gossypol, a polyphenolic aldehyde with male
contraceptive properties that is also found in higher
concentrations in cottonseed. The amounts present
in okra seeds are too low to have any noticeable
effect even if you ate an enormous amount in one
sitting.

Concentrated gossypol tablets have been tested as a
male contraceptive but generally found to be too
dangerous. There isn't a big difference between the
dosage of gossypol required for temporary
contraception and dosages that cause permanant
sterility, potassium deficiency, and paralysis- and it
would be impossible to regulate this dosage if you're
eating unprocessed seeds.
In short, okra seeds are not an effective, safe or
reliable method of contraception.

I love okro soup and I cook it and make it rich for consumption... I wouldn't want to stop eating coz of infertility!... Haba!

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by yanabasee(m): 1:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
themonk:
Please don't tell me what to eat in this economic situation. Every food na food now except rice undecided

Lol.. Aswear down.. Okro's been safin life sinz 01BC.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by herzern(m): 5:46pm On Sep 13, 2016
Okro lovers will be like...."no...no....no....Ion aqree with dheez!"....

169 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by AntiWailer: 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
nice piece
Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
Naija guys abeg relax and eat your Okra. angry That gossypol is ineffective. Nothing go do your sperm.

My great, great, grandfather favorite soup na Okra. As a matter of fact, legend have it that he go sometimes roast plenty Okra dey cum walk around dey chew like kola nut. You know how many pikin him get? –15!

So forget this shiit and enjoy. No shaking. cool

148 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by amanze15(m): 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
what would kill you would kill you angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by agwom(m): 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
Chai!
Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by jmoore(m): 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
But my Papa dey eat am, come give my Mama belle six times.

Moderation is the key word. Even cholesterol has its own benefits.

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Flashh: 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
I don't like okro.

11 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by gabazin080(m): 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
shey na dis kain buhari regime pesin go still dey select soup to eat. hungry neva wire u dats y u no go chop okro

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Ikigia: 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
I have heard this before.....
Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Ajusshi: 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
embarassed My fav soup..chai!

2 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by adaksbullet: 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
So op his telled me that am not sopose too be eaten okroo vejitabu soop undecided undecided undecided are u whant too telled me whot too eaten? undecided undecided undecided

Mtcheeeeeeeeeee nosense poste angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
oyinbo pple nd formulations gossypol ko ammapol ni

8 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by abbey621(m): 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
The quacks are at it again, if I listened to half of you locos I wouldn't be able to eat anything but eggplants(yuck)! Besides we are Africans, the damages of Okra can be corrected with a daily dose of Alomo bitters or other herbs. Life is too short to deprive oneself of delicious ila alasepo grin grin grin

27 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by stephany007: 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
wetin we no go see for this hunger period

4 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Lero15(m): 5:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
Lol. Okro wey cheap pass other vegetables. Especially for this economy wey we dey so... Omo chop okro dey go grin chop am with eba or semo wink

Abeg. Na too much of everything no good joor. Next go be "jollof rice no good for consumption"

3 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by SuperBlack: 5:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
Na lie. Because it's my favourite Soup. I can't stop eatin it.

1 Like

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Sultty(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
IncredibleJoe:

Source:http://sakajoe..com.ng/2016/09/why-you-should-not-eat-okro-if-you-male.html?m=1
story!! that does not mean I'll fear to eat my favorite vegetable

2 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Michellla(f): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016

4 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by nevilbot: 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
If all these research about okro causing infertility in men was really true the way I have been hearing it since my uni days, my dad should not av had a single child, but the man has 6 already and if u still doubt his fertility at his above 55 age, u can donate ur sister for experiments. #fear mongering post. #walks out of thread

16 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Kaybee14(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
Ok. Thanks for the info.
Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by Sinbad2007(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
China and fake Okro is like 5&6

6 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by emerged01(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
Big lie! In my house,we chop okro pass any soup. My papa born me,meself don born pikin.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by kennyjam: 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
point 1... So I shouldn't eat it because It's lady finger. abeg who sells okro here, I wan buy cook and eat for ontop Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by veekid(m): 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
Who dey eat am before?
Re: Men Should Not Eat Okro Because Of This by philo3(m): 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
If we want to follow everything we read on the internet...
I'm not sure we'll be eating again.....

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

COVID-19 In New York: Hundreds Of Bodies Buried In Mass Grave On Island(Pics) / Could This Be STD Or Bad Immune System? / Just Confirmed I Am HIV Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.