Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself (45357 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Meets With African Shipowners At Conference In Lagos. Photos / Burkina Faso Prime Minister Died Suddenly During A Press Conference In Turkey / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 9:27pm On Oct 14, 2009
Oh, so you've read it and you still demand a proof of the negative?

Does logic really mean anything to you, or is it just some fancy tool used by people who like to speak too much big big grammar?

I just read your postings again, u know at times keeping up with the barrages from every angle and liquating the threat is not easy, are u saying since that coup had reps from all region that coup cannot be said to be Nzeogwu's coup.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ezeagu(m): 9:41pm On Oct 14, 2009
What's the argument about? Probably nothing right?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 11:02pm On Oct 14, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Oh, so you've read it and you still demand a proof of the negative?

Does logic really mean anything to you, or is it just some fancy tool used by people who like to speak too much big big grammar?

@RichyBlacK
Thanks again for providing us with more detailed analysis of the 66 -67 events. Don't worry about Mr KnowAll. He sounds so much like Mr Michael Aondoakaa!(SAN?) I wouldn't be shocked if they are one and the same person!  grin
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 1:49am On Oct 15, 2009
[quote
KnowAll:

Nzeogwu remains the 1st miliatary officer who in the name of some fantacist revolutionary movement went out and bluegeoned innocent civilians to death.
[quote][/quote]

Mr knowall

is Nzeogwu Igbo or not if he is not igbo why use him as an excuse to kill people of Igbo extraction.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 7:16am On Oct 15, 2009
You guys are still asking Knowall questions when over 80% of his comments on this thread are pure lies and another 10% full of errors and blunders?

As for me I have made it clear to him, no more discussions until he states his age.

Don't be surprised you are wasting time with a 13yr old using his father's laptop whenever he is not around.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 8:17am On Oct 15, 2009
You guys are still asking Knowall questions when over 80% of his comments on this thread are pure lies and another 10% full of errors and blunders?

As for me I have made it clear to him, no more discussions until he states his age.

Don't be surprised you are wasting time with a 13yr old using his father's laptop whenever he is not around.

This is the rantings and utterances of a teneeger, bring up something concrete and factual and u will be answered accordingly.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 8:52am On Oct 15, 2009
KnowAll:

This is the rantings and utterances of a teneeger, bring up something concrete and factual and u will be answered accordingly.

Are you referring to this thread or another one? How many times have people corrected your many blunders? How many lies have been exposed here?

If you had any shame you would have taken say 2 weeks break but for a chronic liar that you are I know I am asking for the impossible here.

Your infatuation with God father movie and Hassan Katsina has effectively blinded you so you are incapable of any discussion based on facts, logic and common sense.

And by the way, what's the big deal in answering my very simple question? How old are you? Basic nursery school question.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 9:20am On Oct 15, 2009
How many times have people corrected your many blunders? How many lies have been exposed here?

Those people have been lectured properly; I suggest u read through the postings.

Your infatuation with God father movie and Hassan Katsina has effectively blinded you so you are incapable of any discussion based on facts, logic and common sense

If everything u have learnt is based on personal experience then I rest my case, but surely television, movies and drama, the internet and of course old fashion books play a role in changing, developing and enriching our perceptions of events, it also contributes to our every day lives.

You might however be an exception and if that is the case suffice it to say I am talking to some ice age cave man.

And by the way, what's the big deal in answering my very simple question? How old are you? Basic nursery school question.

I repeat grow up, if my 13 year old can deal with grown up igbo men from the four corners of the globe the way I have dealth with u lot, I would be the proudest father in the world, what a genius of a boy !!!! grin
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 9:48am On Oct 15, 2009
KnowAll:

I repeat grow up, if my 13 year old can deal with grown up igbo men from the four corners of the globe the way I have dealth with u lot, I would be the proudest father in the world, what a genius of a boy !!!! grin

Did you just type the content above? Read it again. Seems like the man in the house (read daddy) has finally spoken (read responded) to what his 13yr old has been typing all along.

I agree, you are indeed aan genianus of a boy from the proudest father in your hamlet. grin cool grin grin cool shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by okunoba(m): 11:10am On Oct 15, 2009
@Knowall, are u serious about this statement?
"I am afraid as hard and heartless as it may sound, it is not the job of the military, the military might have done the civilian police a favour in the past, but that is just what it was a favour"

The job of the army is to protect it`s citizens both from internal and external aggression, all over the World the military is used to bring security where the police has proven incapable of doing so. The Nigerian army failed in it`s duty of care to protect all of it`s citizens, by allowing the senseless killings of Igbo`s in the North. Has bad as the bad Nigerian army have been over the years, the one thing u can give them credit 4 is the fact that they have learnt from that tragic mistake. The Boko Haram incident being the latest example. If the army had done the same thing in 1966, There probably would never have been a Biafran war.

Knowall, we should be trying to heal the pain of Biafra not make it bigger, Think of those innocent kids and moms killed 4 no other reason other than being Igbo who could have and should have been better protected by the Nigerian Army, just remember it could be ur family next time. Would u be happy if the Army or police failed them.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 11:26am On Oct 15, 2009
The Nigerian army failed in it`s duty of care to protect all of it`s citizens, by allowing the senseless killings of Igbo`s in the North. Has bad as the bad Nigerian army have been over the years, the one thing u can give them credit 4 is the fact that they have learnt from that tragic mistake. The Boko Haram incident being the latest example. If the army had done the same thing in 1966, There probably would never have been a Biafran war.

The Commander-in-Chief of the army failed the igbos at the time not the army, the CinC was Balewa, the CinC during the Boko Haram debacle dealt with the situation decisively hence the overwhelming force use to put the crisis to an abrupt end.

I personally think this incident together with the amnesty are some of the high notes of Yardua’s regime, he excelled remarkably well on those 2 crisis
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Duduknight(m): 12:47pm On Oct 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

Who was Ojukwu "mutiny-ing" against at that stage? Officers who were his juniors or equals in rank Ogundipe wasn't even there! He fled.
You see my friend, this your "might is right" mindset is why Nigeria can never be one. Do you think you can keep Nigeria one by force? You are dreaming my friend. This is 21st century. Only justice can keep Nigeria one! But I'm afraid that with your type around, Nigeria's fate is sealed!
So you see him as smart because he chickened out? These are some of the cowards who let Nigeria down when it matterd most. You continue fooling yourself into thinking we have a nation when her soldiers flee at the sight of the slighest danger. Na wa o! shocked

Please do your research before coming on the net to expose your ignorance.
Ogundipe did not flee. The northern soldiers started their mutiny and took over the cantonment. Murtala, Adamu, Joe garba were all in Ikeja cantonment; they had no means of escape and had in fact commandeared an airforce plane to move their families out of the west. Ogundipe sent two units to quell the coup; both units were ambushed, one at Mobolaji Bank-Anthony way, Ikeja and the second at Bonny. Ogundipe, realising that there was a stalemate sent Gowon (who was with Ogundipe when making plans to quell the coup) to the coup-plotters at Ikeja to arrange dialogue and peaceful surrender.

On getting to Ikeja, Gowon had a dialogue with the coupists. It was during this dialogue that a northern soldier mentioned the idea of confederation. Gowon, curious as to what it meant, asked what that would entail. The British High commissioner, who was in attendance, then said to the northern soldiers that their people would suffer if they entertained such an idea.

At this point, a solution was put forward and it was that Gowon should become Head since the coupists and Ogundipe could not trust one another. Gowon was chosen because he was not part of the part, he was from the north, and he was a pacifist. Ogundipe had to agree because there was no one else who could support him. Gowon agreed to the idea because he felt it would bring peace. This is why years later, Murtala would use yar adua and Garba to overthrow Gowon.

So you see, Ogundipe did not run and he was not a coward.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 12:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
Please do your research before coming on the net to expose your ignorance.
Ogundipe did not flee. The northern soldiers started their mutiny and took over the cantonment. Murtala, Adamu, Joe garba were all in Ikeja cantonment; they had no means of escape and had in fact commandeared an airforce plane to move their families out of the west. Ogundipe sent two units to quell the coup; both units were ambushed, one at Mobolaji Bank-Anthony way, Ikeja and the second at Bonny. Ogundipe, realising that there was a stalemate sent Gowon (who was with Ogundipe when making plans to quell the coup) to the coup-plotters at Ikeja to arrange dialogue and peaceful surrender.

On getting to Ikeja, Gowon had a dialogue with the coupists. It was during this dialogue that a northern soldier mentioned the idea of confederation. Gowon, curious as to what it meant, asked what that would entail. The British High commissioner, who was in attendance, then said to the northern soldiers that their people would suffer if they entertained such an idea.

At this point, a solution was put forward and it was that Gowon should become Head since the coupists and Ogundipe could not trust one another. Gowon was chosen because he was not part of the part, he was from the north, and he was a pacifist. Ogundipe had to agree because there was no one else who could support him. Gowon agreed to the idea because he felt it would bring peace. This is why years later, Murtala would use yar adua and Garba to overthrow Gowon.

So you see, Ogundipe did not run and he was not a coward.

Thanks for sharing this new insight as to what happen to Ogundipe, this thread is for all Nigerians to contribute but the Biafrans hijack it and made it their own little baby in other to glorify Ojukwu

We need more inputs from other Nigerians, Mid- westerns don’t be mute about it.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Dede1(m): 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2009
@KnowAll

Reading some stuffs from you and your fellow thick scull colleagues on this forum exposes the reasons Nigeria is a cesspit. Please be informed that northern region premier, Ahmadu Bello, was never in the chain of command of Nigeria army. As a regional premier, he might have the power to influence the military commander’s decision as in the case of Brigadier Samuel Ademulogum’s transfer of Major Chris Anuforo from Jos Recce Squadron to Army HQ, Lagos. The premier has absolutely no power to issue direct orders to military commands.

There was never a time in history of Nigeria that Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa was addressed as Command-in-Chief of Armed Forces. The only persons ever addressed as such were either the Presidents or Heads of State.

@Duduknigth

There was never a time Ogundipe send any military unit to quell the mutiny in July 29, 1966. If Ogundipe had sent a unit, I would appreciate it if you could furnish the strength of the military unit dispatched by Ogundipe, thus, platoon, company or battalion. In addition, I would also like to know the names and the ranks of the officers commanding these counter-mutiny units sent by Brigadier Ogundipe. The only order issued by Ogundipe was to a Sergeant to gather a platoon out of the elements of the Brigade of Guards. If you are bent on regurgitating Nowa Omogiue’s crap, I suggest you seek a second opinion.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Duduknight(m): 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for sharing this new insight as to what happen to Ogundipe, this thread is for all Nigerians to contribute but the Biafrans hijack it and made it their own little baby in other to glorify Ojukwu

We need more inputs from other Nigerians, Mid- westerns don’t be mute about it.

[quote][/quote]

A fact of life is that people always look for someone else to blame for their problems. The really sad fact in all these is that some biafran propagandists are beating war drums about incidents that happened about 45 years ago when they are still being hounded and cheated by their fellow countrymen. Are their no governors in the east? are they performing to the best of their ability? No, with the probable exception of one governor, the rest are looters.

Are their no ritual killers and kidnappers in the east? Are the kidnappers hausa or yoruba people? Probable not; why not face current issues instead of issues from the past that will serve no purpose. This applies to us all as Nigerians. Why are we talking about the past when our kinsmen, country men are still cheating and killing us indirectly?

Back to the topic, why do SOME igbo people continue to blame other tribes for their problems? Please answer the folowing questions:

1. Did Yoruba/ mid-western people ask Zik to join an alliance with the North?
2. Did anyone ask predominantly igbo officers to organise a coup and murder northern political and military elite?
3. Why did Ifeajuna warn his cousin, Zik, about the impeding coup? This allowed zik the opportunity to go and chill in the carribean while the january coup was being planned and executed?
4. Why was the Eastern premier not Killed?
5. Why was Unegbe the only igbo officer killed? The coupists claimed it was because he prevented access to the armoury. This is false because as quartermaster, he did not control access to the armoury. Anyone with military antecedents will corroborate this.
6. After having killed the northerners, were they not expecting reprisals from the north?

I schooled in the east and I have many igbo friends and Nzeogwu was my military hero as a young man. The coup might have succeeded if Ifeajuna executed his part of the plan like Nzeogwu. As much as I loved Nzeogwu, him and the other coupists must be held responsible for starting it all because they drew the first blood.

Now for those beating war drums, a few facts:
1. In the months leading to the war, Yoruba officers kept quiet and acted like peacemakers. They were also outnumbered in the military in those days by Igbo and Northern officers.
2. Both Ojukwu and his opponents (Murtala, Danjuma) were all mouthing off about finishing each other on the battlefield. It was all mount because without Adekunle and Obasanjo, they would have fought forever. It is on record that the division under Murtala did not gain any ground into the east during the war. The war was worn with Adekunle's Marine commando.
3. The only Biafran success in the war, was the defeat of Federal forces in the Mid-west and the advance to Lagos which was halted at Ore. The commander of that unit was Ayo Banjo.
4. The east lost the war
5. Ojukwu fled for all his intelligence and oratory. Effiong surrendered to Obasanjo.

War or secession is not the answer. The answer lies within us all.
Please only intelligent and factual replies.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Duduknight(m): 2:47pm On Oct 15, 2009
Dede1:

@KnowAll

Reading some stuffs from you and your fellow tick scull colleagues on this forum exposes the reasons Nigeria is a cesspit. Please be informed that northern region premier, Ahmadu Bello, was never in the chain of command of Nigeria army. As a regional premier, he might have the power to influence the military commander’s decision as in the case of Brigadier Samuel Ademulogum’s transfer of Major Chris Anuforo from Jos Recce Squadron to Army HQ, Lagos. The premier has absolutely no power to issue direct orders to military commands.

There was never a time in history of Nigeria that Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa was addressed as Command-in-Chief of Armed Forces. The only persons ever addressed as such were either the Presidents or Heads of State.

@Duduknigth

There was never a time Ogundipe send any military unit to quell the mutiny in July 29, 1966. If Ogundipe had sent a unit, I would appreciate it if you could furnish the strength of the military unit dispatched by Ogundipe, thus, platoon, company or battalion. In addition, I would also like to know the names and the ranks of the officers commanding these counter-mutiny units sent by Brigadier Ogundipe. The only order issued by Ogundipe was to a Sergeant to gather a platoon out of the elements of the Brigade of Guards. If you are bent on regurgitating Nowa Omogiue’s crap, I suggest you seek a second opinion.

So you admit that Ogundipe gave an order to someone to gather a platoon out of the remaining elements of the Brigade of Guards? Why then was a poster accusing him of cowardice?

You may want to say Nowa Omogiue's account is crap but it has not been refuted by any credible historian. His version of events his corroborated by versions from Obasanjo, Adekunle, Ademoyega and others. Like they say, the truth is bitter sometimes.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
Duduknight:

You may want to say Nowa Omogiue's account is crap but it has not been refuted by any credible historian. His version of events his corroborated by versions from Obasanjo, Adekunle, Ademoyega and others. Like they say, the truth is bitter sometimes.

Credible historian you say? And you went ahead to list corroborators from a particular ethnic group? Wonderful. Nice try. Next?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Duduknight(m): 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2009
Afam:

Credible historian you say? And you went ahead to list corroborators from a particular ethnic group? Wonderful. Nice try. Next?

1. Is Nowa yoruba? No
2. The information is there, why has it not been debunked by Igbo historians? Is Ojukwu not alive?
3. You can prove or debunk publicly available information (Books written by principal actors). You can not debunk accounts put forward by others if you do not write and publish your own accounts.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Dede1(m): 4:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
Duduknight:

So you admit that Ogundipe gave an order to someone to gather a platoon out of the remaining elements of the Brigade of Guards? Why then was a poster accusing him of cowardice?

Why should any Igbo person waste time rebutting Nowa Omoguie’s conjectural crap? I must tell you that few rebuttals forwarded by Ndigbo to Nowa Omogiue’s conjectural rubbish had led to massive editing efforts on the part of Nowa.

Nowa Omogiue was one of loudest exponents of the falsehood perpetrated by western region of Nigerian government publication of 1967 that blatantly lied about Lt. Col. F. Fajuyi opting to die with Ironsi.

It was the same Nowa Omogiue that set the ball rolling on the ground that Nigeria had only five graduates in the Nigerian Armed Forces by 1966.   

No less a person than Nowa Omogiue claimed that a Biafran army unit massacred innocent citizen at a rubber plantation in mid-west region. When he was taken to the task to furnish the name of the Biafran army unit and commander of the unit that committed the atrocity, Nowa Omogiue, just as you, fell like a park of cards.

I should give Nowa Omogiue full credit for creating a lazy disciple such as you. Nowa failed in his evil machination to inform you that Nigerian constitution in 1966 does not have provision for executing coup plotters and definitely not for a position of Deputy Prime Minister.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Duduknight(m): 4:55pm On Oct 15, 2009
Dede1:

Why should any Igbo person waste time rebutting Nowa Omoguie’s conjectural crap? I must tell you that few rebuttals forwarded by Ndigbo to Nowa Omogiue’s conjectural rubbish had led to massive editing efforts on the part of Nowa.

Nowa Omogiue was one of loudest exponents of the falsehood perpetrated by western region of Nigerian government publication of 1967 that blatantly lied about Lt. Col. F. Fajuyi opting to die with Ironsi.

It was the same Nowa Omogiue that set the ball rolling on the ground that Nigeria had only five graduates in the Nigerian Armed Forces by 1966.

No less a person than Nowa Omogiue that claimed that a Biafran army unit that massacred innocent citizen at a rubber plantation in mid-west region. When he was taken to the task to furnish the name of the Biafran army unit and commander of the unit the committed the atrocity, Nowa Omogiue, just as you, fell like a park of cards.

I should give Nowa Omogiue full credit for creating a lazy disciple such as you. Nowa failed in his evil machination to inform you that Nigerian constitution in 1966 does not have provision for executing coup plotters and definitely not for a position of Deputy Prime Minister.

Are you able to have a debate without insults? Have I insulted you. I only put forward my account of how events occurred in the past based on various publications. I am not a LAZY DISCIPLE of Nowa. I have read his literature as I have read other literature about events leading up to the civil war and the civil war in itself. I have also read "why we struck" by Ademoyega, one of the coup plotters of january 66 and under my command by Obasanjo.

It is possible that writers may from time to time embelish but that is why those who are able to correct them should do so. The 'facts' I have mentioned is based on different accounts and not just one.

Now you made mention of certain incidents in your last paragraph; I do not know why you did because they certainly are not relevant to anything I might have said.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 5:38pm On Oct 15, 2009
@Duduknight

Believe me I am an addict to the truth! I don't care if I'm found to be wrong - far from it! I seek truth fearlessly, and in today's Nigeria, I advise all to stop the nonsense of trying to sell lies, 'cos it simply won't work!
Well, at least you acknowledge that Ogundipe had some soldiers under his direct command who could have stood by him if he stood his ground. The final truth is that he didn't! Some of those who were challenging the incongrous and ludicrous change in command probably had less troops under their command, yet they stood for the maintenance of the chain, knowing that any aberration would derail the espirit de corp and introduce mediocrity and indiscipline.

You know, I'm interested in this discussion only to the extend that we find out where we derailed in leadership development as a nation and fix it!
I can never belong to the same country with people who believe that because some oaf is more armed than I, he should lead me and decide the fate of my generations unborn. I (and I suspect most Igbo) would never belong to such country. So, let's get that part straight!

I see all attempts to inject Nzeogwu into this discourse as attempts to derail the thread, because we are discussing what happened at Aburi, remember? The Accord signed and trashed!
I see the same pattern here from KnowAll to you, whereby you both switch freely from blaming Igbo for the coup of Jan 1966 to saying that "Mid-Westerners" should say their views here-as if they are part victims of the coup. Nzeogwu conveniently becomes Igbo whenever you justify the mass murder of innocent civilians and the war, but you conveniently forget that he was a Mid-Westerner!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 6:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

I see all attempts to inject Nzeogwu into this discourse as attempts to derail the thread, because we are discussing what happened at Aburi, remember? The Accord signed and trashed!
I see the same pattern here from KnowAll to you, whereby you both switch freely from blaming Igbo for the coup of Jan 1966 to saying that "Mid-Westerners" should say their views here-as if they are part victims of the coup. Nzeogwu conveniently becomes Igbo whenever you justify the mass murder of innocent civilians and the war, but you conveniently forget that he was a Mid-Westerner!

In fact, you can take the comment above to any bank and they will give you cash.

Meanwhile, these truth twister also conveniently forget that Ojukwu and even Ironsi foiled the coup that was led by Nzeogwu who though a Mid Westerner is usually labelled Igbo just to justify the many lies and massacre of innocent Igbo people by the Northerners and their supporters.

Facts are facts, they don't lie, they don't change whereas lies usually fall like pack of cards anytime any day.

Seek the truth, see the light, shun lies and bold enough to associate with the truth regardless of the consequences.

Unfortunately, the average Nigerian would rather go to war than accept a mistake no matter how obvious or glaring the mistake is.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 6:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
Afam:

In fact, you can take the comment above to any bank and they will give you cash.

Meanwhile, these truth twister also conveniently forget that Ojukwu and even Ironsi foiled the coup that was led by Nzeogwu who though a Mid Westerner is usually labelled Igbo just to justify the many lies and massacre of innocent Igbo people by the Northerners and their supporters.

Facts are facts, they don't lie, they don't change whereas lies usually fall like pack of cards anytime any day.

Seek the truth, see the light, shun lies and bold enough to associate with the truth regardless of the consequences.

Unfortunately, the average Nigerian would rather go to war than accept a mistake no matter how obvious or glaring the mistake is.

Let the truth be told no matter how hard it is to swallow.
Thank you bro
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2009

Thank you
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 6:43pm On Oct 15, 2009
DuduKnight,

How many Northern politicians were killed?
How many from the West?
How many from Mid-west?
How many from East?

Give us the names too.

Give us the minute by minute conversation btwn whoever you claimed told Zik to flee the country? FACTS AND PROOFS

Which region were the 1st coup plotter from?

Who was from North
East
West
Midwest

If you can't answer these simple questions without making any sense then please do the impossible. Be quiet for the love of God.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2009
Duduknight:

[color=#000099]

I schooled in the east and I have many igbo friends and Nzeogwu was my military hero as a young man. The coup might have succeeded if Ifeajuna executed his part of the plan like Nzeogwu. As much as I loved Nzeogwu, him and the other coupists must be held responsible for starting it all because they drew the first blood.

I have said this before, whenever someone starts off by saying they are friends of the Igbo people before making their points, I become suspicious immediately. Why can't you discuss Aburi without drawing Nzeogwu -"a Nigeria can be redeemed through revolution dreamer" -into it. Like Afam pointed out, the Eastern leader at the conference, as well as the dead Ironsi helped foil Nzeogwu's coup. Couldn't that mean anything? Couldn't it mean anything that Awolowo was not killed in the Eastern jail? Why wasn't he killed?
I would concede one point to you: the Igbo are very good at making friends with people who would sell them and stab them in the back. We are unrivalled in that department. That is why Awolowo was spared and released in the East only for him to advocate mass starvation of innocent women and children. Just like you now, a "I schooled in the east" type.

Now for those beating war drums, a few facts:
1. In the months leading to the war, Yoruba officers kept quiet and acted like peacemakers. They were also outnumbered in the military in those days by Igbo and Northern officers.
2. Both Ojukwu and his opponents (Murtala, Danjuma) were all mouthing off about finishing each other on the battlefield. It was all mount because without Adekunle and Obasanjo, they would have fought forever. It is on record that the division under Murtala did not gain any ground into the east during the war. The war was worn with Adekunle's Marine commando.
3. The only Biafran success in the war, was the defeat of Federal forces in the Mid-west and the advance to Lagos which was halted at Ore. The commander of that unit was Ayo Banjo.
4. [b]The east lost the war[/b]5. Ojukwu fled for all his intelligence and oratory. Effiong surrendered to Obasanjo.

You are more interested in the fact that Igbos lost the war and paid in blood and humiliation, than in what led to the war. That tells me that I cannot trust you to be truthful on this topic.

War or secession is not the answer. The answer lies within us all.
Please only intelligent and factual replies.

An uninitiated reader would believe that you are honest in seeking a way forward here but you are not. Summary of all you've said goes more like this:
I was wrong but I was more armed than you. Live with it 'cos you don't have a choice; might is right!

With that line of reasoning my friend, be assured that we don't have a nation in that space. If there is a nation at all, her name is Biafra in the East of Nigeria.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2009
The more I look at this Aburi conference the more I become convinced that it is the single most important development in the post independent Nigerian history. It was a watershed because that was when the Nigerian nation was really negotiated. I would even go as far as saying that this conference was more credible than the pre-independence conferences because there were no colonialists in attendance. It was an all Nigerian affair. It tested the character of the Nigerian nation to determine whether there was any real basis for oneness. When free signatories reneged on it because they felt they had military support, they killed the Nigerian nation and gave birth to Biafra and the war. To this date, a lot of Easterners still feel that they only lost a war, and that their nation of Biafra is well and alive. It takes more than winning a war to kill a nation. A nation is one founded on shared beliefs and ideals. It is obvious that Easterners (particularly Igbos) would never accept a warped method of leadership selection(never mind the PDP games in Anambra State!). Igbos believe in merit -short and simple! Rogues and renegedes hijacked Nigeria's leadership in 1966. That is why we don't have electricity today.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

@Duduknight

i ask KNOWALL this same question earlier and he ignored it, NZeogwu is he IGBO or NOt

if he is not why blame IGBO's for the Killings?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by youngies(m): 9:19pm On Oct 15, 2009
kaecy5:

i ask KNOWALL this same question earlier and he ignored it, NZeogwu is he IGBO or NOt

if he is not why blame IGBO's for the Killings?
Questions
More questions and no answers sad

I get it, might is RiGHT
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by OAM4J: 9:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
Gentlemen, can we stop the argument and suggest the way forward. Is there any hope? From the feelings around me, some Hausas and Yorubas are equally tired of the present arrangement as much as the Igbos and Niger Deltans are. Suggestion for way forwards please.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by SapeleGuy: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2009
OAM4J:

Gentlemen, can we stop the argument and suggest the way forward. Is there any hope? From the feelings around me, some Hausas and Yorubas are equally tired of the present arrangement as much as the Igbos and Niger Deltans are. Suggestion for way forwards please.

Suggest the way forward? That one go hard, you mean you want people to look forward and not back? or
provide solutions instead of pointing the finger of blame at others. Please lead the way.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ThinkRait: 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
Nigerians and arguments!!!!
May God help us.

How can we chase corruption out of our land when all we ever do is argue while corruption uses the opportunity to steal our crops.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Clara Chime Packs-out Of Enugu Govt House, Opens Up / Alex Bade: Niger Delta Militants Are Taking Up Arms, We Will Deal With Them / Nine Ministers Who Will Define Buhari’s Presidency (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.