Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? (1450 Views)

Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter / What’s That Habit You Wish Your Children Don’t Inherit From You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 14, 2016
I want to know please, is a woman supposed to inherit any of her father'shouses where there is only one surviving son?
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Calismart(m): 3:35pm On Sep 14, 2016
Comments please
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2016
for where? except she's the only child then its possible but asides that never heard or seen it even the house my mom built for her mom(my grand mom) has since been taken over by her younger brother even when she is d first born...but its nothing tho i have already started hers on my own n u knw Bini n land/house matter no dey blend well at all n i cherish d sweet life God gave me not that am scared oo but sometimes its best we listen to momsie advice too. Hope u are not eyeing any land/house from ur popsie when u get brothers?
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 14, 2016
dairykidd:
for where? except she's the only child then its possible but asides that never heard or seen it even the house my mom built for her mom(my grand mom) has since been taken over by her younger brother even when she is d first born...but its nothing tho i have already started hers on my own n u knw Bini n land/house matter no dey blend well at all n i cherish d sweet life God gave me not that am scared oo but sometimes its best we listen to momsie advice too. Hope u are not eyeing any land/house from ur popsie when u get brothers?

Here's how my dad dividedhis propertyaccording to the will he leftwhich was not signed! I'm the last born and I ave 4 elder sistersbefore me who are like lions! they made me sign the will and I had no lawyer and everything was done in a hurry. My dad had 8 houses.He gave me the main house . . .the remaining one which was a bq attached to the main house was given to the second born. The remaining houses were given to my other sisters with two given to the first! only a land and the main house was given to me!
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 14, 2016
Notruthatall:

Here's how my dad dividedhis propertyaccording to the will he leftwhich was not signed! I'm the last born and I ave 4 elder sistersbefore me who are like lions! they made me sign the will and I had no lawyer and everything was done in a hurry. My dad had 8 houses.He gave me the main house . . .the remaining one which was a bq attached to the main house was given to the second born. The remaining houses were given to my other sisters with two given to the first! only a land and the main house was given to me!
u didnt loose anything so its all good..being d last u must hv been daddy's lil girl abeg take am like dat oo
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 14, 2016
dairykidd:

u didnt loose anything so its all good..being d last u must hv been daddy's lil girl abeg take am like dat oo

I'm the only son!
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:

I'm the only son!
whaat! Nw i totally understand u...man no need to fight it sha smtimes things happen dat way

1 Like

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Pidggin(f): 3:43am On Sep 15, 2016
I have seen a Benin man's will and he gave his kids both girls and boys his properties. If you decide to go to court, you will lose. As our constitution supports equality.

Don't be greedy, your sisters may gang up against you

2 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Onegai(f): 8:22am On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:

I'm the only son!

Bros, izzz laike u want make dem take ur name put am for calabash throw inside Ikpoba river grin so u weel be seeing leopard in ur dreams. Greed is not good o.

5 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 15, 2016
Pidggin:
I have seen a Benin man's will and he gave his kids both girls and boys his properties. If you decide to go to court, you will lose. As our constitution supports equality.

Don't be greedy, your sisters may gang up against you

So I should leave them while their ego shoots up. . .well, besides what if they marry from another tribe?
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by pickabeau1: 12:00pm On Sep 15, 2016
be content with what you have

you have a foundation .. others don't even have anything to inherit

make your own money

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Pidggin(f): 12:53pm On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:

So I should leave them while their ego shoots up. . .well, besides what if they marry from another tribe?

And what if they don't? They senior you so which one is ego there. I advised you so that you can preserve your life, your own siblings cam harm you, I hope you now this.
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Acidosis(m): 2:06pm On Sep 15, 2016
What if they marry from another tribe?? Did you just ask this question?

So what if they marry a Benin man, what difference does that make?

Na your type and other Benin boys dey do yahoo pass, you know how to dupe white women, but to marry your fellow Nigerian, you're already claiming serial tribalist.

Your sisters will marry from another tribe, and nothing will happen. If e pain you, go and build your own house.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by zexzy(f): 2:54pm On Sep 15, 2016
Op i don't see the reason for this your write up, you are the youngest but you were given the main house and a land because you are the only son, I think they have done the right thing. I know in Benin the first son inherits the house his father lived in and you already got that. The thought of you wanting your sisters not to have any of the houses is pure greed on your part.

4 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by KillerBeauty(f): 3:23pm On Sep 15, 2016
Traditionally the first son suppose to inherit but if the man has a will, then the first son take whatever is willed to him.

But op be contented. You are now a house owner and a landlord without a drop of your sweat. Some people work all their lives without getting a boys quarters to their name.

I hate it when young men are too interested in their inheritance. Benin boys have that character too much

4 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by crackhaus: 3:32pm On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:
I want to know please, is a woman supposed to inherit any of her father'shouses where there is only one surviving son?
If there's a will that serves to cater to all the children including the females, then YES.
Also, if a father/mother (while alive) does the distribution of properties/business to all children including the females, then YES again.

However in the absence of all of the above, the house where the father lived automatically passes along to the first 'surviving' son regardless of position - This is the usual line of succession. If there's a business or company that requires a replacement Chief Executive, the first 'surviving' son also takes on that role.
Any remaining property like more houses, lands, cars etc are usually shared based on who best can manage it at that point and also based on strong-head. gringrin

Your case is a little different because you are the last born and only son, this is where your problem arose because Bini women are known for being very strong women. cheesy
These are the same women that when they get divorced from their husbands, keep ALL the children without even going to court regardless what the man thinks/wants.. gringrin

You have four elder sisters, lol... Dude, there was no way all four of your elder sisters (Bini women for that matter) were going to let you have everything.
Like you said, you did get something and this is what matters right now.

Please Note:
By the time your elder sisters start getting married, it's possible for you to reclaim properties that still bear your father's name.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by crackhaus: 3:34pm On Sep 15, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Traditionally the first son suppose to inherit but if the man has a will, then the first son take whatever is willed to him.

But op be contented. You are now a house owner and a landlord without a drop of your sweat. Some people work all their lives without getting a boys quarters to their name.

I hate it when young men are too interested in their inheritance. Benin boys have that character too much
Have you met Igbo boys? gringrin
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
Who did your father live the family business for?
If it's you, then you need to shut up, abi your papa no get business.....
On a more serious note, your father made his money and he can dispose of it as he likes, the only thing he owes you is proper upbringing and a sound education....
You get luck say him no gift everything to charity...

2 Likes

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 15, 2016
I hate it when young men are too interested in their inheritance. Benin boys have that character too much[/quote]

You don't want me to takeon my responsibility? Esau was cursed by God for letting his birthright slip! you don't know what that means! It just goes to show how much of an infidel you are. It is a sin not to take on your responsibility. I have never eyed my father's property, I only see it as a responsibility! And would want to adhere very much to the bini tradition!

You must be a bini woman! You can kill your brothers!
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2016
njokusboy:
Who did your father live the family business for?
If it's you, then you need to shut up, abi your papa no get business.....
On a more serious note, your father made his money and he can dispose of it as he likes, the only thing he owes you is proper upbringing and a sound education....
You get luck say him no gift everything to charity...

Njoku, we have careers...we musn't sell shoes at alaba as a family business
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 15, 2016
crackhaus:

If there's a will that serves to cater to all the children including the females, then YES.
Also, if a father/mother (while alive) does the distribution of properties/business to all children including the females, then YES again.

However in the absence of all of the above, the house where the father lived automatically passes along to the first 'surviving' son regardless of position - This is the usual line of succession. If there's a business or company that requires a replacement Chief Executive, the first 'surviving' son also takes on that role.
Any remaining property like more houses, lands, cars etc are usually shared based on who best can manage it at that point and also based on strong-head. gringrin

Your case is a little different because you are the last born and only son, this is where your problem arose because Bini women are known for being very strong women. cheesy
These are the same women that when they get divorced from their husbands, keep ALL the children without even going to court regardless what the man thinks/wants.. gringrin

You have four elder sisters, lol... Dude, there was no way all four of your elder sisters (Bini women for that matter) were going to let you have everything.
Like you said, you did get something and this is what matters right now.

Please Note:
By the time your elder sisters start getting married, it's possible for you to reclaim properties that still bear your father's name.

It's a pity to see how these women who are so called sisters treat you when it comes to property! I never meant my father shouldn't leave anything for them! they came up with all manner of stories just to get you off balance. Lies, hateful words and accusations simply because I made the right suggesstion that the property be divided according to customary law since the will was not signed! It's a pity!
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:

Njoku, we have careers...we musn't sell shoes at alaba as a family business

What a clown, you think business implies buying and selling cosmetics? So your father was a civil servant?
Mr man, we all have careers but the "family business" employs career people like you and me....
The turnover from 4 tankers of petrol in a month can build you a house.... If you had a "family business", you won't be complaining of houses....
Never compare a career person to a business owner.....
Focus on your career and if you have the means, start a business...
Forget about your fathers houses, he's already given them to those he deemed worthy of them....
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
Notruthatall:

It's a pity to see how these women who are so called sisters treat you when it comes to property! I never meant my father shouldn't leave anything for them! they came up with all manner of stories just to get you off balance. Lies, hateful words and accusations simply because I made the right suggesstion that the property be divided according to customary law since the will was not signed! It's a pity!

Lol, you even signed a will under duress, my Guy you don fvbck up finish.... Was a gun pointed to your head
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
njokusboy:

Lol, you even signed a will under duress, my Guy you don fvbck up finish.... Was a gun pointed to your head

Didn't u hear the op said his four sisters are like lions...lol grin

Sighs ontop another man sweat.
Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by ehiblessing(f): 11:32am On Sep 16, 2016
Op u where given the main house and a land I don't see any problem here though it wud ve been fair if u had another house considering the fact that your father left 8houses, maybe u would not have signed the will in a hurry, but please don't start dragging properties with your sisters it won't end well,just look forward in doing well for your self and getting your own properties

1 Like

Re: Does A Woman Inherit Any Of Her Father's Houses In Bini Tradition? by crackhaus: 12:47pm On Sep 16, 2016
Notruthatall:

Don't take it too personal dude, be content with what was given to you for now—some fights are best left for another time and place.

When you're older and a man in your own right, you can start 'causing trouble' if you so wish.. lol grin
Your elder sisters probably still see you as a small boy, hence their behaviour.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Stop This Silly Match Making Process?? / My Wife Is Dating My Pastor And My Brother / Couple Portrait Painting By Nigerian Artist Ayeola Ayodeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.