Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,695 members, 7,834,312 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m (14530 Views)

Reps Invite Jonathan Over Malabu Deal / U.S., Presidency Fire Jonathan Over Poll, Graft / I’m Ready To Testify Against Ibori Over $15m Bribe - Former EFCC Boss, Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by HungerBAD: 2:22am On Sep 15, 2016
By Abdulwahab Abdulah

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has given the Attorney-General of the Federation, (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), a 7-day ultimatum to begin the prosecution of the former first lady, Mrs Patience Jonathan over allegation of $15m unexplained wealth “frozen in four companies’ accounts.”

In a statement by SERAP executive director, Mr Tokunbo Mumuni made available to Vanguard, the body urged the AGF to institute criminal proceedings against Mrs Jonathan in line with “public interest, and exercise your powers under Section 174(1) of the Constitution of Nigeria 1999.” Making bold its demand, SERAP asked Malami to “take this step within 7 days of the receipt and/or publication of this letter, failing which SERAP will institute legal proceedings to compel the discharge of constitutional duty in this matter.” The body argued that, “Mrs Jonathan is a politically-exposed person under anti-corruption standards.

She is also covered under the definition of ‘public officials’ contained in the UN Convention against Corruption to which Nigeria is a state party. Under article 2 of the convention, public officials, include Mrs Jonathan or any other family members of the former President Goodluck Jonathan, who exercised official duties while he was president.” SERAP noted that “pursuing prosecution in this case would help to provide adequate reparation, which may take the form of restitution, compensation, satisfaction or guarantees of non-repetition to victims of corruption who continue to be denied their right to an effective remedy.

It would also send a clear message that cases of unexplained wealth or illicit enrichment involving politically exposed persons would not go unpunished,” it stated. Explaining the need for the prosecution, the group said the use of the offence of illicit enrichment is necessary to any anti-corruption movement and accepted instrument in the global fight against corruption.

It said the step by the government would also enhance its powers to monitor wealth and improve transparency and accountability within the public sector. The statement read: “By combating an official’s unexplained material gains, illicit enrichment offenses make it clear to public officials that if they engage in corrupt conduct they would forfeit illegally acquired wealth and go to prison. “According to article 2 “for the purpose of some specific measures contained in chapter II of this Convention, “public official” may mean any person who performs a public function or provides a public service.”

“Thus, article 2 makes it very clear that any person, such as Mrs Jonathan performing a public function, entrusted with a public task or to whom public functions have been assigned are public officials, regardless of whether they have been elected or appointed, paid or unpaid.” “Under article 20 of the convention, this government has an obligation to prosecute intentional illicit enrichment, that is, a significant increase in the assets of a public official that he or she cannot reasonably explain in relation to his or her lawful income.”

The fact that the $15m found in the four accounts belong to Mrs Jonathan raises serious suspicion or at the very least a prima-facie case of unexplained wealth/illicit enrichment, and imposes an obligation on Mrs Jonathan to explain and justify the source(s) of the $15m.” “In the event that she is not able to justify, explain or put forth evidence demonstrating the legitimate origin of the $15m, SERAP urges you to take immediate steps to forfeit the asset under appropriate legal proceedings, and to institute criminal prosecution for unexplained wealth in the matter.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/15m-serap-gives-agf-ultimatum-prosecute-mrs-jonathan/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Standing5(m): 2:29am On Sep 15, 2016
The right thing to do is to prosecute her ASAP. How on earth did she get that kind of money? Real Nigerians will like to hear about it.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Nobody: 3:17am On Sep 15, 2016
Can't wait to see the evil childless witch in jail. She is the worst first lady in Nigerian history. She abused power and acted like a proxy president. She amassed needless wealth at the expense of poor Nigerians forgetting she is a barren witch who has no child to inherit all her loots. Her public speeches and appearances embarrases Nigerians and the education sector. No wonder she campaigned vigorously against buhari by telling her gullible flock of IPOB yoots that buhari's mission is to jail Nigerians. She truly saw the future. How can a woman who can hardly complete a sentence in English build a 5 star Aridolf hotel of 10 billion naira ? How much was her networth before Jonathan became a politician? How did she came about $20m? What business was she known for before nearing the corridor of power? No wonder the country is in recession yet ignorant folks expect Buhari to perform miracle to revive the economy. Yet the same deprived youths of the Niger delta who could have benefited from these funds will be the one's screaming witchhunt due to their high level of ignorance and ethnic jingoism. $20m will build a world class school or hospital in bayelsa state for the masses. The amount spent on that hotel is enough to transform the infrastructures of bayelsa. The foolish Avengers will turn a blind eye to people like patience who are the true enemy of their region's development and instead blame the FG for their woes. Their son was President for 5years and the only federal government financed infrastructure in bayelsa during their tenure is Patience Jonathan's Aridolf hotel while the masses wallow in abject poverty. I hope she is prosecuted and punished accordingly. Useless woman angry

99 Likes 15 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by nrexzy: 3:38am On Sep 15, 2016
I saw this day coming earlier

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Lifestone(m): 3:39am On Sep 15, 2016
Waiting patiently to see how Mama Peace will defend this case.
I hope the legal team have done their home work, otherwise they've just brought trouble home.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by GoggleB(m): 4:14am On Sep 15, 2016
Prosecution without substantial evidence..

SERAP get more evidence for the EFCC if u truly want her to be prosecuted..

10 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Nobody: 4:26am On Sep 15, 2016
The former First Lady should come forward with incontrovertible proofs of how the money was earned. That is the only thing that can save her from prosecution except the Nigerian factor comes into play.

SERAP should allow the EFCC do a thorough job and not stampede them into going to court without sufficient evidence. They have made several gaffes already with their shoddy investigations.

5 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Nobody: 4:44am On Sep 15, 2016
bejeiodus:
The former First Lady should come forward with incontrovertible proofs of how the money was earned. That is the only thing that can save her from prosecution except the Nigerian factor comes into play.

SERAP should allow the EFCC do a thorough job and not stampede them into going to court without sufficient evidence. They have made several gaffes already with their shoddy investigations.

I'm afraid the case might be swept under the carpet as usual. GEJ was in Niger state to see IBB and Abdulsalam probably to seek their intervention to make buhari soft pedal on the case because it will surely embarras his family. The only saving grace he has is the concession of defeat and i think buhari is running out of patience to investigate them. Only time will tell

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:11am On Sep 15, 2016
irunooboo:
The foolish Avengers will turn a blind eye to people like patience who are the true enemy of their region's development and instead blame the FG for their woes. (

Who do you think are the so-called Avengers? She is them. She is one of their sponsors.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:21am On Sep 15, 2016
Please you guys should conduct proper investigations and try the woman, I just don't want to read about her trials online until she's been tried and convicted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by amagunnerfan: 6:22am On Sep 15, 2016
If only Igbos and the south south people will take their leaders accountable and stop the madness called "our son" this country will be better.

How on earth did that woman amass such wealth? And to cap it all some pauperised people will be on her defence. If truly she earned such money why put it in a proxy account? Why not on her own name.

Unfortunately I doubt she will be jailed but I am sure there will be forfeiture. Buhari's past has successfully handicapped him. He knows he can't throw people in jail and he is seemingly keen not too but I am sure a lot of loot will be recovered.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by cktheluckyman: 6:32am On Sep 15, 2016
bejeiodus:

She does not owe anyone any explanation as to how she made her money. She was never in public Office.If you know anything untoward in her dealings you may decide to forward it to the EFCC.
It is not a crime to own money or property.
Even your "hero" Tinubu has more properties than these so kindly STFU

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by amagunnerfan: 6:32am On Sep 15, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

Who do you think are the so-called Avengers? She is them. She is one of their sponsors.
This is a fact. Those who are not partisan among us know the unrest in the ND is created by GEJ and PDP. I just hope Buhari can use all the intelligence in his disposal to expose this for the whole world to see.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by amagunnerfan: 6:35am On Sep 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

She does not owe anyone any explanation as to how she made her money. She was never in public Office.If you know anything untoward in her dealings you may decide to forward it to the EFCC.
It is not a crime to own money or property.
Even your "hero" Tinubu has more properties than these so kindly STFU
What's the definition of "politically exposed persons? Also, she by banking, owns us an explanation. The banking laws clearly state an amount allowed by an individual.

To think you lot believe the English murderer is not politically exposed but will hypocritcally ask questions of how Aisha Buhari bought her watch. Shame on you lot.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by babasanti: 6:39am On Sep 15, 2016
Black man mentality any wealthy politician stole money or did blood money. Has abacha's ans yaraduas wives been asked to explain source of their wealth. Efcc can not and won't do anything.

17 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by cktheluckyman: 6:42am On Sep 15, 2016
amagunnerfan:
If only Igbos and the south south people will take their leaders accountable and stop the madness called "our son" this country will be better.

How on earth did that woman amass such wealth? And to cap it all some pauperised people will be on her defence. If truly she earned such money while put it in a proxy account? Why not on her own name.

Unfortunately I doubt she will be jailed but I am sure there will be forfeit. Buhari's past has successfully handicapped him. He knows he can't throw people in jail and he is seemingly keen not too but I am sure a lot of loot will be recovered.
Hope you people in the west held Tinubu,Fayemi,Fashola,Aregbesola etc accountable for their own loots!!!!Bunch of hypocrites

13 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by amagunnerfan: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Hope you people in the west held Tinubu,Fayemi,Fashola,Aregbesola etc accountable for their own loots!!!!Bunch of hypocrites
Tinubu was tried. And Fashola did a lot in Lagos. Those of you criticising them are the nor yorubas. You lot have been shouting Tinubu fo years now, how come your son didn't probe him? Tell me when you have seen a yoruba man being thrown into prison and the yoruba youth are shouting witch hunt. Go on and show me examples.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Cutehector(m): 6:46am On Sep 15, 2016
irunooboo:
Can't wait to see the evil childless witch in jail. She is the worst first lady in Nigerian history. She abused power and acted like a proxy president. She amassed needless wealth at the expense of poor Nigerians forgetting she is a barren witch who has no child to inherit all her loots. Her public speeches and appearances embarrases Nigerians and the education sector. No wonder she campaigned vigorously against buhari by telling her gullible flock of IPOB yoots that buhari's mission is to jail Nigerians. She truly saw the future. How can a woman who can hardly complete a sentence in English build a 5 star Aridolf hotel of 10 billion naira ? How much was her networth before Jonathan became a politician? How did she came about $20m? What business was she known for before nearing the corridor of power? No wonder the country is in recession yet ignorant folks expect Buhari to perform miracle to revive the economy. Yet the same deprived youths of the Niger delta who could have benefited from these funds will be the one's screaming witchhunt due to their high level of ignorance and ethnic jingoism. $20m will build a world class school or hospital in bayelsa state for the masses. The amount spent on that hotel is enough to transform the infrastructures of bayelsa. The foolish Avengers will turn a blind eye to people like patience who are the true enemy of their region's development and instead blame the FG for their woes. Their son was President for 5years and the only federal government financed infrastructure in bayelsa during their tenure is Patience Jonathan's Aridolf hotel while the masses wallow in abject poverty. I hope she is prosecuted and punished accordingly. Useless woman angry
I no knw say u Sabi smth like dis oooooooo shocked I think say na only big prick full ur brain grin

5 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by cktheluckyman: 6:47am On Sep 15, 2016
irunooboo:

I'm afraid the case might be swept under the carpet as usual. GEJ was in Niger state to see IBB and Abdulsalam probably to seek their intervention to make buhari soft pedal on the case because it will surely embarras his family. The only saving grace he has is the concession of defeat and i think buhari is running out of patience to investigate them. Only time will tell
The only reason why Buhari has not gone after GEJ is because he needs the Niger-delta oil money to run his government and not because of any IBB and Abubakar.If GEJ did not concede he would have remained president today and there is nothing you could have done about It

8 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by cktheluckyman: 6:50am On Sep 15, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Tinubu was tried. And Fashola did a lot in Lagos. Those of you criticising them are the nor yorubas. You lot have been shouting Tinubu fo years now, how come your son didn't probe him? Tell me when you have seen a yoruba man being thrown into prison and the yoruba youth are shouting witch hunt. Go on and show me examples.
Mr hypocrite no matter what Fashola did, he was still a theif. Gosh!!!I can't stand your hypocrisy!!! Yoruba youths here on this forum defended Fashola after he was caught inflating contracts.They did same for Fayemi on his N50m bed

15 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by amagunnerfan: 6:52am On Sep 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Mr hypocrite no matter what Fashola did, he was still a theif. Gosh!!!I can't stand your hypocrisy!!! Yoruba youths here on this forum defended Fashola after he was caught inflating contracts.They did same for Fayemi on his N50m bed
He is a thief cos you said so right? How come Fayose with all his noise hasn't probed and jailed Fayemi? He has the power and should use it.

4 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by allthingsgood: 6:57am On Sep 15, 2016
GoggleB:
Prosecution without substantial evidence..

SERAP get more evidence for the EFCC if u truly want her to be prosecuted..

Really
Someone came out on her own to confess, and u are saying no evidence?? Na wa o. how much she de pay u sef

15 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Agimor(m): 6:59am On Sep 15, 2016
I stand with SERAP on this one there should be no room for impunity and rascality.

2 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by GoggleB(m): 7:59am On Sep 15, 2016
allthingsgood:

Really
Someone came out on her own to confess, and u are saying no evidence?? Na wa o. how much she de pay u sef
To confess she stole govt money or what Abeg think well..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by GoggleB(m): 8:02am On Sep 15, 2016
allthingsgood:

Really
And if u read well I didn't say she shouldn't be prosecuted.. I no said SERAP shud get perfect evidence so the case won't just be overheard and left without proper penalty.
Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by Moreoffaith(m): 8:36am On Sep 15, 2016
99% of people defending this useless thieves will go on other thread to complain how harsh the economy is.

Most of them can't afford their daily needs without asking from others yet they defend those who rearrange their destiny.

Your brand of stupidity is one in a million.

I hail una ooo

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by monkautos(m): 8:50am On Sep 15, 2016
abeg where SERAP dey when dambazzua, bruntai and amechi case was all over the media

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by 5starmilitant: 8:53am On Sep 15, 2016
And why didn't the so-called serap call for the prosecution of maryam Abacha Or is it because Pej is 5%? Later, someone will be talking of one nigeria. Useless hypocrites.

4 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by 5starmilitant: 8:54am On Sep 15, 2016
monkautos:
abeg where SERAP dey when dambazzua, bruntai and amechi case was all over the media

Don't mind those useless hypocrites. They will keep mute when its their own, but they will screaming when its pdp. Brutai a soldier man acquired properties worth millions of dollars in Uae, and these usless group went mute. Idiots

5 Likes

Re: SERAP Calls For The Prosecution Of Patience Jonathan Over $15m by soberdrunk(m): 8:54am On Sep 15, 2016
grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fayose Bans All Students Activities And Public Processions In Ekiti State / BREAKING NEWS ! NNAMDI KANU ARRESTED / Bola Tinubu Condoles With Orji Kalu Over Death Of His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.