Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,010 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) (38420 Views)

Obas Council Gives Olugbo Four Days To Withdraw Statement Over Superiority / "I Am The Leader Of Yoruba Monarchs" - Olugbo, Obateru Akinruntan / Ooni Ogunwusi And Olugbo Akinruntan In Supremacy Battle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by saintneo(m): 2:53pm On Sep 17, 2016
So there is a place called Ugbo in Yoruba land and Moremi deceived them with her beauty.

Next time I see any rubbish about Yoruba pursuing Igbo people from the SW using Moremi, no straight backhand slap.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by YonkijiSappo: 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2016
saintneo:
So there is a place called Ugbo in Yoruba land and Moremi deceived them with her beauty.

Next time I see any rubbish about Yoruba pursuing Igbo people from the SW using Moremi, no straight backhand slap.

lol, what are you talking about breh?

3 Likes

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by TerrorSquad147: 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2016
Young03:
the oba is trying to tell us that whenever u see a fair lady in ugbo

na bleaching she use.
lol cheesy grin
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by TerrorSquad147: 3:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
kasheemawo:
If he was Yoruba king made this assertion Our Ipob thugs would have rained abuses on him.
be sensible always
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by ceaser: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2016
Truefederalism:
Another confused Afonja.
Oduduwa is now from Mecca. The fulani alliance aint today

The skies rejects the sophisticated peeps.
Betrayal did not start from Afonja but Moremi. (New fact)

In Yorubaland
the men =Afonja.
The women = Moremi.

Mad yoruba peeps everywhere!

grin grin grin You don mhadt! Aswear!
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by LaExpert: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
freezyprinzy:
angryoh he no longer came from mecca abi he was banished in Bini den trekked 2 mecca 2 collect power 2 defect obatala whaoo

lol, no bro.

Obatala is mythical, Oduduwa is a real person.

However Oduduwa got to Ife doesn't matter, what matters is that he was banished from Bini kingdom and he wandered to Ife.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by sundayamazing3: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
Yes. The king is right. I am a Linguist, research shown that Oduduwa met people at Ile-Ife where Obatala accommodated him. He later waged war against Obatala nd he dethrone him. Lamurudu who was Oduduwa's father died in Mecca during religion riot(that was when Islam got to Mecca. Lamurudu did not accept islam so he was killed. That was why OOduwa and his relative left Mecca to Ife. D journey took them 90 days(According to Samuel Johnson). When Ooduwa got to Ile-Ife, he stay at the hill top (OKE-Oranfe) at Ile Ife that was where he noticed Obatala's inactiveness b4 he fought him(Obatala). Research in Linguistics/Dialectology proves that Ilaje dialect is more close to Standard Yoruba than any other dialect. For instance, the pronoun(Oun-third person singular pronoun) can function as conjunction in Ilaje sentences.E.G. Mo ri Bola oun Ojo- I saw Bola oun Ojo. If we are to believe on history of Portuguese and missionaries like Samuel Johnson, venn, kilham etc, we will see that Ilaje people was in existence at Ife b4 Oduduwa came. The position of Ilaje especially Ugbo kingdom can not overwritten in the Yoruba history even in Benin history. For more info...WhatsApp +2348102323959, pin 2BA500CD

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by saintneo(m): 3:47pm On Sep 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

lol, what are you talking about breh?

Just some Yoruba people boasting of defeating Igbo people in the ancient times....now I know better...it is Ugbo people.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by YonkijiSappo: 3:50pm On Sep 17, 2016
saintneo:

Just some Yoruba people boasting of defeating Igbo people in the ancient times....now I know better...it is Ugbo people.

Anybody that says that is just plain silly.
Did Yoruba and Igbo People have any significant contact in ancient Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by 2n2k(m): 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2016
Does this man know the meaning of 'betrayer'?

Moremi was an Ife born princess who was used to spy and learn the war secret of the enemy by her Ife people. She volunteered to risk her life and put herself in position to be captured by the enemies banking on her beauty to save her from being killed at sight. The enemies fell for the plot, captured her and gave her to their king as spoil of war. The king was foolish enough to reveal his people's war secrets to a captured spy because of pussy.

It is like Russians accusing an American born CIA agent of betrayal or USA accusing a Russia born KGB agent of betrayal because he spied on them.

He needs to go and learn what is called Secret Agent before spewing rubbish.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by neocortex: 4:06pm On Sep 17, 2016
LaExpert:

Lol, can someone possibly fall from the sky?
There's no consensus simply because of the poor record keeping.

There's no progenitor per se.
The Yorubas have always been existing.

Oduduwa came from Bini kingdom, he was banished from there.

Don't let anyone fool you, Oduduwa didn't come from Benin,
he came from Ife!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by neocortex: 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2016
CandyDiamond:
Oduduwa is Oba of Benin son that was banished and he went Ife and conquer Yoruba land and they revered him as god that fall from heaven and he gave the kingship in Yoruba land the name Oba as the they use it in Benin kingdom.

What an uninformed comment,
the first Oba of benin(Eweka) was a grandson of Oduduwa,
Are you saying the grandson gave his grandfather the title of Oba ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 17, 2016
EastGold:
Long live the king, the richest in Nigeria

richest in his pocket and his families. .does he support your family

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by charlesucheh(m): 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
OMO!!!!! This Man KNOWS HOW TO ANSWER QUESTIONS SHA!!!as at then, The Journalist or Anthropologist bone go don Weak!!!!
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
This silly Oba the Olu of Ugbo has been saying and postulating different rubbish revisionist versions of Yoruba history and dishing them to silly underground reporters /\ ~~ Smh
He better take his time before Orisha descend on him cheesy

did you skip the part where he said no Oba has contradicted him both dead and alive
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 17, 2016
LaExpert:

Lol, can someone possibly fall from the sky?
There's no consensus simply because of the poor record keeping.

There's no progenitor per se.
The Yorubas have always been existing.

Oduduwa came from Bini kingdom, he was banished from there.

are you trying to contradict the Oba's assertion..Oduduwa came from mecca and spent three months in the bush before he lead a war to establish his Kingdom
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by YonkijiSappo: 4:36pm On Sep 17, 2016
carmag:

did you skip the part where he said no Oba has contradicted him both dead and alive

lol, how can anyone contradict rubbish
If you come tomorrow and say You migrated from South Africa, or Israel,..... Won't I just stand there and be looking at your folly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 17, 2016
CandyDiamond:
Oduduwa is Oba of Benin son that was banished and he went Ife and conquer Yoruba land and they revered him as god that fall from heaven and he gave the kingship in Yoruba land the name Oba as the they use it in Benin kingdom.

your version and that of this Oba who insist oduduwa was from mecca...who shall we take seriously..huh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by MrGerald(m): 4:45pm On Sep 17, 2016
Confusion everywhere, so they were from Mecca, and Portuguese will tell them their history better? na waoo...
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by freezyprinzy(m): 4:53pm On Sep 17, 2016
LaExpert:

lol, no bro.

Obatala is mythical, Oduduwa is a real person.

However Oduduwa got to Ife doesn't matter, what matters is that he was banished from Bini kingdom and he wandered to Ife.
dunno wat 2 believe again sef but I cannor take it any more

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
The sad thing about this is people will believe and keep themselves from good people meant to bring great things to their life because of an ancient tale

Stereotypes do nothing but divide and rule

I am team love the skin your in

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Mockinbird: 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2016
Your fada!
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by YungMillionaire: 5:49pm On Sep 17, 2016
grin grin grin Look at all these Christians laughing at the claim that Oduduwa came from the sky. Are these not the SAME Christians who believe that Jesus was birthed by a virgin? Elijah took a chariot to heaven? A donkey spoke? Jesus walked on water? Jesus died and resurrected and floated into the sky to heaven? grin grin grin Before you remove the speck in another person's eyes why don't you remove the log in your own eye? Hypocrites grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by WORLDPEACE(m): 5:53pm On Sep 17, 2016
Odunharry:
Ilaje Aiye ma fuge

Cc Ilaje44
Awa yeye!

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2016
CandyDiamond:

stop all dis nonsense, when oduduwa was reigning in ife, Ogisos were known to be monarchs of igodomigodo ( not even benin at d time) prince oranyiman founded benin

Gave d town ile ibinu

installs his son as d king

set rules that all obas sud b burried in Ife when they passed

anongst others

his son Eweka(Owomika) chose "Oba" ( yoruba monarchy style as d best 4 benin empire.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2016
YungMillionaire:
grin grin grin Look at all these Christians laughing at the claim that Oduduwa came from the sky. Are these not the SAME Christians who believe that Jesus was birthed by a virgin? Elijah took a chariot to heaven? A donkey spoke? Jesus walked on water? Jesus died and resurrected and floated into the sky to heaven? grin grin grin Before you remove the speck in another person's eyes why don't you remove the log in your own eye? Hypocrites grin grin grin grin
ur brainbox is working excellently

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Ihuomadinihu: 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2016
Lol. Anyway,certain things about the Ugbo people reminds me of Igbo-Yoruba pre historic connection before they both became distinct groups .
From the popular Moremi story to the Lightskin stuff to Oraife which actually looks like an igbo word.
We have Oraifite in Igboland.
Ugbo on it's own means a Bush or Farm in Igbo.
The word 'Oba' mean different things in Igbo.
I've also been able to gather words from both groups that have similar pronouciation,spelling and meaning.
Take it or leave it, these tribes are offsprings of similar Proto ancestors. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugbo people are the last yoruba group to differenciate from Igbos and adopt a full Yoruba status.
We need to go deeper in our history.
When it comes to Nigeria,the closest relatives to Yorubas are Igbos, Idoma, Edo and Igalas but Tribalism has taken a toll on them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by bhalogun1(m): 5:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
Berbierklaus:
So they don't birth light skinned ladies in their own town?

If they do,who marries them?
Let their fair skinned beautiful ladies come to me, I will marry them all n create my own Kingdom. Emi oba "Bhalogun1"
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by LaExpert: 6:29pm On Sep 17, 2016
freezyprinzy:
dunno wat 2 believe again sef but I cannor take it any more

You should do a lil research on it.

I can help you with links and recommend books if need be. Goodluck bro.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Ngozi123(f): 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2016
Erudite Yoruba people here, could you please explain to me the following:

When we were in primary school, they taught us that Oduduwa is Lamurudu’s son. We were also told that Lamurudu came from Mecca, yet Oduduwa is the progenitor of Yoruba race, is that logical? Isn’t his father, Lamurudu supposed to be the progenitor of the Yoruba race and not Oduduwa? There was a lot of controversy surrounding the Yoruba race. Some people felt that an Oba was wealthy so they sided with him to achieve their goals and that was how history was distorted. I remember when I was in primary school, I learnt that about 25 professors were tasked with finding out the history of the Yoruba race and they did a beautiful job gathering information, they wrote the book beautifully and one of the things they wrote was that the Yoruba race belongs to the Ugbo people but the result of the research never saw the light of the day.

Is this true? Do the Yorubas really believe that they come from the Middle East?

This is a serious question btw undecided.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Death Of Prince Kelechi Ineke, Son Of Gabriel Ineke, The Echemugo 1 Of Abaomege / The Cost Of Uprooting The Ekiti Sacred Tree In Odo, Oja (Snapshot) / Ooni & Oluwo Princess Hanna And Joseph Alexander's Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.