Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) (38446 Views)

Obas Council Gives Olugbo Four Days To Withdraw Statement Over Superiority / "I Am The Leader Of Yoruba Monarchs" - Olugbo, Obateru Akinruntan / Ooni Ogunwusi And Olugbo Akinruntan In Supremacy Battle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by wreckerMcbeth(m): 6:34pm On Sep 17, 2016
kasheemawo:
If he was Yoruba king made this assertion Our Ipob thugs would have rained abuses on him.

He's a Yoruba King. Ondo State. That Riverside.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by wreckerMcbeth(m): 6:40pm On Sep 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
Yet almost 60% of Ilaje people I know are all Fair (Yellowish) in complexion.

Ondo people are mostly fair in complexion

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by kelvee(m): 6:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
one day ya son is gonna travel and marry a whitey, impregnate her and she will give birth to a light skinned baby girl
... #lobatan

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
No wonder most ladies who bleach are from the west undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by smartleo(m): 7:34pm On Sep 17, 2016
kasheemawo:
If he was Yoruba king made this assertion Our Ipob thugs would have rained abuses on him.
What are you saying,is Ugbo king not a Yoruba king?,Olodo

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by freezyprinzy(m): 7:46pm On Sep 17, 2016
LaExpert:

You should do a lil research on it.

I can help you with links and recommend books if need be. Goodluck bro.
I think I prefer the book part..
Am a student of political sci it would b very useful to Me
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Seun4blue(m): 10:29pm On Sep 17, 2016
This might be sense, because merely looking at it Yoruba doesn't have history... How will a foreigner who is from Mecca be her progenitor?
I have to look more into this, because if you don't know where you are coming from, surely where you're going is uncertain!!

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Blessogede(m): 12:02am On Sep 18, 2016
Ogborikodo Ogborikodo Ayemafuge Ilaje Awa_yeye

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by dadabashua1(m): 12:21am On Sep 18, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:
Lol. Anyway,certain things about the Ugbo people reminds me of Igbo-Yoruba pre historic connection before they both became distinct groups .
From the popular Moremi story to the Lightskin stuff to Oraife which actually looks like an igbo word.
We have Oraifite in Igboland.
Ugbo on it's own means a Bush or Farm in Igbo.
The word 'Oba' mean different things in Igbo.
I've also been able to gather words from both groups that have similar pronouciation,spelling and meaning.
Take it or leave it, these tribes are offsprings of similar Proto ancestors. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugbo people are the last yoruba group to differenciate from Igbos and adopt a full Yoruba status.
We need to go deeper in our history.
When it comes to Nigeria,the closest relatives to Yorubas are Igbos, Idoma, Edo and Igalas but Tribalism has taken a toll on them.
the oba actually look like an igbo man to me... seriously.. lolz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by ceaser: 1:15am On Sep 18, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Oraife which actually looks like an igbo word.
I've also been able to gather words from both groups that have similar pronouciation,spelling and meaning.

Then I believe you already know that "Igbó" in Yorùbá also means bush or less commonly an unfarmed stretch of bushy land.

Ugbó may also have that same meaning in some Yorùbá dialects, in whose lexis the letter "u" can be substituted for "i" in some words.

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by otokx(m): 6:32am On Sep 18, 2016
Nigeria has lots of rich history and culture.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Sunsets: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2016
My thoughts exactly. Yoruba, Igbo, Benin and other similar groups are one and the same.
Ihuomadinihu:
Lol. Anyway,certain things about the Ugbo people reminds me of Igbo-Yoruba pre historic connection before they both became distinct groups .
From the popular Moremi story to the Lightskin stuff to Oraife which actually looks like an igbo word.
Take it or leave it, these tribes are offsprings of similar Proto ancestors. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugbo people are the last yoruba group to differenciate from Igbos and adopt a full Yoruba status.
When it comes to Nigeria,the closest relatives to Yorubas are Igbos, Idoma, Edo and Igalas but Tribalism has taken a toll on them.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by elsomm(m): 11:45am On Sep 18, 2016
kasheemawo:

I don't understand you?
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by macof(m): 11:50am On Sep 18, 2016
YabaLeftist:
undecided

I thought Oduduwa fell down from the sky.

Why is there no consensus on the actual progenitor of the Yoruba race?
So many inconsistencies in the stories. Which one I go believe now?

The name " oduduwa" refers to a lot of things.

it can refer to the deity of creation...they were two - the other is Obatala

the name can also refer to the proposed independent sovereign Yoruba nation

or the First King of Ife

the first is obviously mythical but a heavenly entity. ..hence coming from the heavens

the third which people often say came from mecca. .actually had no business with Mecca. he definitely didn't know Mecca existed.... He was a noble man from the Ora hill at the outskirts of Ile-Ife
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by macof(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

and you are just realizing that? with all the hate for yoruba you possess?
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by elsomm(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2016
Igboid:
Well, black ancestors kept little or no written records.

So it's distortion galore for every History revisionists there as long as it aids in propagation of their political agenda.

Who is to say that the Ugbo version of Oduduwa story is not the authentic one, who is to say that the Oyo and Ife ones are not the authentic ones.
We can't know who is telling the truth now, but one thing we know is that all Yoruba people are united by their Yoruba language and dialects.

Everything else is secondary.

Side point: It would appear like the Ugbo king was taking a dig against the Ooni of Ife, with the talks of an Oba having to stay in palace and not supposed to have his father still alive.
That is wrong of the Ugbo king, to say such things about his colleague in public newspaper.

Wait a minute, is the father of Ooni of Ife still alive?

If true...that's like an abomination.

Will his father prostrate to him?
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by macof(m): 12:05pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ngozi123:
Erudite Yoruba people here, could you please explain to me the following:

Is this true? Do the Yorubas really believe that they come from the Middle East?

This is a serious question btw undecided.

so far, I have seen only ignorant yorubas take that seriously
I mean, oduduwa coming from bini makes more sense than Mecca

that was a tale invented by early Oyo Muslims

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Ramissis: 2:08pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ngozi123:
Erudite Yoruba people here, could you please explain to me the following:

There are portentous, misguided and utter piffle on the internet on various articles pertaining to Obatala and Oduduwa getting them seriously mixed up. Let me make it categorically clear that Obatala and Oduduwa did not exist during the same time-line. I have written this article to clarify the matter. http://ancientblackhistory..co.uk/2016/09/yoruba-and-igbo-creation-myth-vs.html

Is this true? Do the Yorubas really believe that they come from the Middle East?

This is a serious question btw undecided.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Ngozi123(f): 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ramissis:

macof:

so far, I have seen only ignorant yorubas take that seriously
I mean, oduduwa coming from bini makes more sense than Mecca

that was a tale invented by early Oyo Muslims

Thanks to the both of you for your responses smiley.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Abagworo(m): 6:45pm On Sep 18, 2016
Oduduwa came from Benin not Mecca. This seems to prove what was earler claimed by Oba of Benin.

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Igboid: 5:52pm On Sep 19, 2016
elsomm:

Yes, the father of Ooni of Ife is still alive. I don't know if he prostrates for the Ooni. I would want to think that he does.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2016
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by hoodua467(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
No wonder they suspended the teaching of history in schools!!! The errors there are too much!!!
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by ceaser: 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2016
elsomm:

A Yorùbá monarch do not see their parents face to face if they are alive. Reason is because Yoruba customs demand that you prostate to your parents as a mark of respect. An Oba prostrates to no one, and technically the parents become his subjects the moment he ascends the throne. So in order to avoid that weird occurrence from happening, it's best they do not see face to face till the demise if the parents.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by SaffronSpice: 6:09am On Sep 23, 2016
Abagworo:
Oduduwa came from Benin not Mecca. This seems to prove what was earler claimed by Oba of Benin.
The story of Oduduwa is a myth or better put,an allergory.
All these claims that he came from Benin,Mecca,Egypt etc. are done for political reasons and have come to be accepted as the truth by most people.
When you muse over them and check the sources of the two most popular theories,you'll be forced to admit that they don't add up.

1 Like

Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by fatiaforreal: 2:27am On Dec 08, 2016
I believe the Olugbo to a large extent. His assertions have added more facts, though there are still some gaps.
1) the Benin origin of Oduduwa is as faulty as any other claim. A man that was running from a hangman, wandered through the bush and founded Ife as claimed by Oba of Benin version. Whereas Olugbo's version shows Ife was alreadin existence, which is the truth. Mind you, there versions of history that says Ekalerdahan died in Ughotan.
2) people seem to trivialise the choice of OBA and OWOMIKA(Eweka), Yoruba words instead of OGISO, which was what their rulers were known as in Igodomigodo.
3) The Ekhiopagha Treaty, a very important rite for the coronation of every Oba of Benin, starting from Oranmiyan, was and is a ground rent by the Oba for the land, is an indication that the origin of the Obas lineage is from outside Benin.
4) There were other villages around. More so, there was a first Ife which existed on the bank of river Niger from where they migrated to the present place after it was destroyed by flood, known as Ife oodaiye. Nupe historians testify to the existence of first Ife on the bank of the Niger.
5) has anyone ever asked where the Binis came from?
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by fatiaforreal: 2:29am On Dec 08, 2016
Oduduwa came from anywhere but Benin and Mecca. Most likely old Nupe region or Sudan.
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by fatiaforreal: 2:31am On Dec 08, 2016
All these tribes don't know their history in full. Edo , Yorubas, Igbo etc have a common origin
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by dejavski(m): 10:52am On Dec 08, 2016
ceaser:

Then I believe you already know that "Igbó" in Yorùbá also means bush or less commonly an unfarmed stretch of bushy land.

Ugbó may also have that same meaning in some Yorùbá dialects, in whose lexis the letter "u" can be substituted for "i" in some words.
As an ilaje man I will clarify you on the true meaning of ugbo in our tongue....
Ugbo means 'to dwell' 'settlement' or to 'stay in one place' it was coined from the word 'MOR'Ubo Gbo ni' which means I have found a place to stay
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Intrepid01(m): 4:12pm On Dec 08, 2016
CandyDiamond:

He is Oba of Benin son, he can't come from Mecca

Look at the way you are stating the rubbish like you were there.....Atleast put some dignity to your lie.....just state that "you heard".....please
Re: Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic) by Edatomola(m): 12:06am On Dec 14, 2016
[quote author=oboy3 post=49439625]is ondo igboland? Yes! They are the Ilaje's

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Visits 8-Month-Old Baby Raped By Her Mum's Friend's Husband / Proudly Yorùbá. Let's Get To Know Your Beautiful Oriki / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.