Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) (5322 Views)

WAR: From Superpower To Whimps. Cameroon Invades Nigeria AGAIN Kills 70. / Boko Haram Kills 70 Adamawa Residents On Sallah Day / @bbcafrica Changes Gear Again,now Reports "NA Kills 70 Boko Haram Members." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Pharoh: 11:04am On Oct 11, 2009
At least 70 people were burnt to death in Nigeria when a fuel tanker exploded, setting fire to five packed minibuses in the southern state of Anambra.

Officials told local media the tanker overturned after it hit a pothole on Friday, sparking the massive blaze.

They said the death toll could rise as the charred remains of the victims were recovered from the minibuses.

A transport official warned that more accidents were likely if nothing was done to improve Nigeria's road network.

"If something isn't done quickly, tragedies like this will happen again," Ben Ekenna of the Federal Road Safety Commission was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

He said several other people were badly wounded in the accident and were taken to local hospitals.

Accidents on Nigeria's poorly-maintained roads are common.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8300555.stm
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 11, 2009
its called sights and sounds of nigeria and should be posted on cnn as an advertisement. many countries take a minute to advertise their countries on cnn, so this one should be nigeria's ad.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by MrCrackles(m): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2009
Not again! sad
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Shola2009(m): 1:07pm On Oct 11, 2009
pot hole!! shocked shocked sad angry a disaster that could have been easily prevented!
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by knotty(m): 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2009
why not!

when people in authority steal money meant to fix the roads and people not in authority glorify them, why wont the roads fight back?

corruption will continue to hunt and haunt us collectively for as long we remain silent in the face of brazen thievery.

RIGHTEOUSNESS EXALTS A NATION, SIN IS A REPROACH TO ANYBODY.

and as Cyprian Ekwensi said in his poem CASUALTY
 `many are the casualties that have no say in the matter`

we are a docile people lead by thieving vampires bred and groomed among us by a culture of dishonesty and abject disrespect for human worth and the dignity of labour.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by texazzpete(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2009
This must not only focus on the poor state of Nigerian roads, but on the careless indifference to safety exhibited by Nigerians.

it was reported that the blaze started when a policeman shot in the air to scare away people scooping up fuel from the wreckage. So my questions are

1. Why would any right thinking person go to a highly combustible area like that, risking his/her life just for a few gallons of fuel?

2. When people saw fuel gushing out, why no move to evacuate the area? Why were there fully loaded passenger buses attempting to pass through that area even with the massive spillage?

If i were in a bus and i saw a pool of fuel up ahead, i'd get down and leave that area ASAP. So much carnage could have been avoided if only people took their personal safety more seriously.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by skfa1: 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2009
RIP
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by knotty(m): 5:25pm On Oct 11, 2009
my people have a saying- cripple, the load on your head is bent. The cripple replied that it 's the head you're looking. You're not seeing my crippled feet. This is our problem- perhaps if we stopped looking for excuses and face the tendencious root causes of our many troubles, maybe just then we can start thinking of solutions.
But for now, why did the poor people scoop petrol from a fallen truck! The bad road is no excuse for poverty.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 11, 2009
Shit  aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!

Bad Roads, No be today Tanker don dey burn!!  embarassed

Petrol Tankers should only move @ night to be on a safer side. WTF!

What happened to our RAILWAY SYSTEM?

Seriously this government are pieces of trash!

Common Road? han han! Road!!! make dem just pour granite, I tire ooooooooo
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by mimionye(m): 8:50pm On Oct 11, 2009
MY PEOPLE,

I Have taken time to think about this country called Nigeria,a country where people are not valued,where money is seem as the only reason for living.
Infact, programmes where put in place to fight against this cancaworm called corruption, also,the same people formulate programmes to discrupt it.we are all guilty of these,in one way or the other.
What on earth is the reason for not putting these roads aright,look at lagos - Benin Road and so many other roads in Nigeria yet in bad state.
Can any body tell me what these OLD EGGS, called POLITIANS doing , please lets give the newage a chance to change our country.
i therefore sympathise with the families of the deceased who lost there lives in these fire outbreak,may there souls rest in peace.Amen.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by cicero(m): 9:14pm On Oct 11, 2009
al-qaeda:

its called sights and sounds of nigeria and should be posted on cnn as an advertisement. many countries take a minute to advertise their countries on cnn, so this one should be nigeria's ad.
sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by meerkat(m): 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2009
To call it a pothole is a heavy understatement. The accident took place in a notoriously bad section of Enugu-Onitsha express way at Umunya. This section has been in a deplorable condition as far back as I can remember. THATS NAIJA 4 U
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by oge4real(f): 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2009
Potholes have come to stay on Nigerian roads,we can only look for means of navigating through them.What I dont understand is the reason why anybody in Nigeria today will still endanger his life in the name of fuel-scooping.You would expect that an average citizen should understand the inevitable price to be paid on such fatal "windfall".
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by CarlosVent(m): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2009
we have so many God fathers in this state and they don't even fight for anything good for us.

that's why we are different in any thing development. have never seen a state with the type of bad federal and state roads we have in this state especially Onitsha and Awka.

we need prayers now in this state.

THANKS A LOT NIGERIANS
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Guylan(m): 10:49pm On Oct 11, 2009
texazzpete:

If i were in a bus and i saw a pool of fuel up ahead, i'd get down and leave that area ASAP. So much carnage could have been avoided if only people took their personal safety more seriously.[table][/table]

@ texazzpete
The way you sounded here is the right way, but believe me, if you were on that bus that day, you wouldn't have escaped, unless you are really the bus driver.  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by ndigbo: 10:55pm On Oct 11, 2009
I'm short of words. Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Olong(m): 11:22pm On Oct 11, 2009
Pls,may i corrected a hurtfully misleading information about ds fire incident.d victims were not villagers, no villager died!all victims were travellers in various vehicles, caught within d police check post and d jam caused by d really bad road.how could they have dismantled frm their vehicles to scoop spilling fuel?certain senseless comments should be removed frm serious going threads like this one,pls.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Olong(m): 11:23pm On Oct 11, 2009
Pls,may i corrected a hurtfully misleading information about ds fire incident.d victims were not villagers, no villager died!all victims were travellers in various vehicles, caught within d police check post and d jam caused by d really bad road.how could they have dismantled frm their vehicles to scoop spilling fuel?certain senseless comments should be removed frm serious going threads like this one,pls.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by udezue(m): 12:29am On Oct 12, 2009
rip
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Olong(m): 12:37am On Oct 12, 2009
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by texazzpete(m): 8:03am On Oct 12, 2009
Olong:

And certain brainless assumptions should not be made without thinking! Several newspapers reported that people were scooping fuel from the accident zone. No one mentioned that it was the passengers. And all agree on the timeline - the tanker did not explode instantly.

Why would anyone willingly remain in a vehicle driving through a region heavily charged with fuel vapour, rich in the extremely combustible fuel-air mixture?

When i'm driving beside a tanker that's still in good condition, i try as much a possible to get as far away from the tanker as possible. if i see any tanker on it's side with fuel spilling out, i'll abandon my car and run as far away as possbile.
In 2000, i entered lagos for the first time, with only written directions to Alaba. I did not know ANYWHERE in Lagos, all i knew was i was supposed to take a bus from Volks bus stop to benin. As soon as a tanker nearby ran into a ditch, i took off. There i was, running even though i did not know anywhere in lagos.
I take my personal safety seriously, and i suggest we Nigerians all learn to do the same.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by otukpo(f): 8:29am On Oct 12, 2009
Quite unfortunate. Innnocent people died for nothing.

I cant see anywhere to blame the passengers of the buses. It could have happened to anyone.

May their souls rest in peace.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by biggjoe(m): 8:39am On Oct 12, 2009
@Texazzpete,

There was no scooping. A tanker fell in a badly pot holed road and exploded to flames and all you can do is blame people trapped in the flames.

Which of the papers agreed that there was no instant explosion. Can i get the links of all the newspapers.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by okeey(m): 8:57am On Oct 12, 2009
sad news
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by tunyus(m): 8:58am On Oct 12, 2009
i am short pf word
RIP for the departed soul
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by obinna79: 9:30am On Oct 12, 2009
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by texazzpete(m): 10:12am On Oct 12, 2009
biggjoe:

@Texazzpete,

There was no scooping. A tanker fell in a badly pot holed road and exploded to flames and all you can do is blame people trapped in the flames.

Which of the papers agreed that there was no instant explosion. Can i get the links of all the newspapers.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Schoolchildren-among-80-killed-in.5722631.jp

Schoolchildren among 80 killed in fireball after truck explodes in Nigeria

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 11 October 2009
By Nicholas Christian
SCHOOLCHILDREN in a minibus were among up to 80 people burned to death when a fuel tanker truck exploded in Nigeria, reportedly after a policeman fired a shot to keep passers-by away from a road accident.

The truck hit a pothole and overturned on Friday on the Onitsha to Enugu road in the south of the country, spilling its cargo of petrol.

Several people said the truck exploded when a policeman fired his gun in the air. One witness said people had been trying to scoop up and recover the spilled petrol. At least five minibuses, packed with up to 18 passengers each, and two cars were incinerated by the fireball.

"Immediately the policeman shot into the air, the tanker burst into flames that engulfed other vehicles close by and also trapped some of the people that were gathered around the scene who were not fast enough to escape," a witness told The Nation newspaper.

Another anonymous onlooker said: "We were standing nearby and could do nothing while these little children burnt to ashes due to the level of heat that was coming from the fire."

Anambra State road safety director Ben Ekenna admitted local roads were in a bad state and was quoted as saying that, "if something isn't done quickly, tragedies like this will happen again". Accidents on Nigeria's poorly maintained inter-city roads are common, with trucks habitually driving at breakneck speeds.

Nigerian newspapers are filled daily with images of overturned trucks, flooded or collapsed roads and massive potholes. Almost everything in Nigeria, including petrol and oil , are transported by road because of a lack of rail infrastructure, increasing the possibility of accidents. Federal road safety body FRSC says that around 400 people are killed in road accidents every month in Nigeria.

When he was elected in May 2007, President Umaru Yar'adua promised to improve road and rail transport in the country of 140 million people. Last June, a road safety expert said Nigeria needed to treat the carnage on its roads as a national emergency.

Apollos Jediel, a coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, said: "We are daily being confronted by an epidemic that kills and maims on the scale of major infectious diseases like malaria, tuberculosis and HIV/Aids."

In addition, the oil-rich country often has domestic fuel shortages, making tanker spills dangerously attractive to poor Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Rooneyboy(m): 10:16am On Oct 12, 2009
And everything about this story is forgotten in no time, life continues again just the way its always been , till there's a re-occurence . "Rest in Peace".
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Rooneyboy(m): 10:21am On Oct 12, 2009
Thats not my bloody business ,who cares about the plight and agonies of the masses "SAYS THE GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA".
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by ud4u: 11:20am On Oct 12, 2009
rip, both the victims and our leaders cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by agitator: 11:33am On Oct 12, 2009
al-qaeda:

Give it to madam rebranding, who knows, you might be appreciated financially grin
Re: Nigeria Tanker Explosion Kills 70 (Anambra) by Nezan(m): 11:47am On Oct 12, 2009
shit!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Does Nigeria Stand To Lose If The SW Goes Regional? / Atiku Why Has Boko Haram Not Close Down Your University? / See The Reason A Nigerian Lady Gave On FB Why Women Like Sex More Than Men(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.