Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire (15147 Views)

Latest Jobs In Nigeria On Careernaija - Apply Now! / Someone Help!! Please How Do I Change My Country To Nigeria On Linkedin / Be Our Guest At The First Civil Society Awards In Nigeria On June 29th. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire by banmee(m): 9:24pm On Sep 21, 2016
spikesC:

I don't have to imagine it. I was born and bred in Nigeria. Lived there for 22 years of my life before moving out.
Illiteracy is the biggest problem in my beloved country and something drastic has to be done about it.

And people like ateri are making it worse. He honestly believes the Nigerian standard is comparable to normal societies. And he's not alone in that thought process. There are tens of millions like that living there. Smh

2 Likes

Re: What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire by ATERI(m): 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
cococandy:

Actually it's not. Both are bad alright but there's a huge difference between a racist policeman killing a black man or two mobs/gangs/cults going at members of the opposing clan to eliminate themselves and a society where normal everyday people will gather around to beat or burn someone to death because of an accusation (most times unproven) then go back to their normal lives like it's nothing. Without even acknowledging that they are committing a crime.

Pls stop the pointless argument. It doesn't look smart on you.

You don`t want to see my point because you are in America. The idea that you guys can be engaging in this argument is telling me what propaganda is doing to you. The mundane task of going from A to B by your own car is now becoming a suicide mission and you are calling that an ideal environment.

Can you please tell me how many times Nigerians have killed criminals in the streets this year? Is lynching a norm in Nigeria? How many times have it happened in your own area this year, in case you are in touch with Nigeria? Which states in Nigeria and which politicians encourage jungle justice? Am I right in saying that over 90% of criminals in Nigeria are prosecuted through the court system?

Honestly, the more you argue this, the less my respect for you.

When you call yourself a developed nation, you have to live up to certain standards, the most important of which is the security of life and property, nothing is ever more important than that. Then there is the hype of America being God`s own country and other flamboyant rubbish like that. So you are now saying I should be mad at Nigeria, that is incapable of providing security for armed robbers, but ignore worse barbarism in a developed nation or start singing God bless America when a totally innocent black man is murdered for no reason, right?

What is going on in America would meet the Geneva definition of war crime even in a war situation. A situation where a motorist is stopped and the next thing is execution. Can you give me the name of any other developed nation in the world that executes her own citizens like this? Man in the street should not execute but those paid to protect can is your argument, right? When these police officers kill, do you have the statistics of how many of them are prosecuted?

Please give me a break, America is no Norway or the Netherlands!
Re: What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire by cococandy(f): 3:17am On Sep 22, 2016
Actually lynching is a norm in Nigeria. How many times a week does that make front page?. And is not considered a crime because the people have this sense that they are providing justice which is what makes it worse. The holiness with which they perpetrate such acts.

At least shooting someone for no reason is considered a crime here.

The day ordinary citizens pull a pickpocket or store thief into the open and kill them in full glare of the public, I'll burn my passport and head back home to Nigeria.
And contrary to what you think, I've lived in Nigeria all my life until a few years ago. So my disgust for such acts doesn't come from moving abroad. Let's call a spade a spade.

Trying to excuse the inexcusable or justify the unjustifiable is not patriotism my friend.

Don't even get me started on child torturing based on religious delusions. Go to akwa ibom and see if that's a norm or not.

Or forced/child marriages up north. I have no clue what your comparison between the two countries is based on.
ATERI:

You don`t want to see my point because you are in America. The idea that you guys can be engaging in this argument is telling me what propaganda is doing to you. The mundane task of going from A to B by your own car is now becoming a suicide mission and you are calling that an ideal environment.

Can you please tell me how many times Nigerians have killed criminals in the streets this year? Is lynching a norm in Nigeria? How many times have it happened in your own area this year, in case you are in touch with Nigeria? Which states in Nigeria and which politicians encourage jungle justice? Am I right in saying that over 90% of criminals in Nigeria are prosecuted through the court system?

Honestly, the more you argue this, the less my respect for you.

When you call yourself a developed nation, you have to live up to certain standards, the most important of which is the security of life and property, nothing is ever more important than that. Then there is the hype of America being God`s own country and other flamboyant rubbish like that. So you are now saying I should be mad at Nigeria, that is incapable of providing security for armed robbers, but ignore worse barbarism in a developed nation or start singing God bless America when a totally innocent black man is murdered for no reason, right?

What is going on in America would meet the Geneva definition of war crime even in a war situation. A situation where a motorist is stopped and the next thing is execution. Can you give me the name of any other developed nation in the world that executes her own citizens like this? Man in the street should not execute but those paid to protect can is your argument, right? When these police officers kill, do you have the statistics of how many of them are prosecuted?

Please give me a break, America is no Norway or the Netherlands!

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

11 Things That Will Make You A Superstar Employee / 5 Things To Do Before You Quit The Job You Hate / Help A Brother! How Can I Choose A Career Path? I Studied Business Education!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.