Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Plagiarism In The Bible? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Plagiarism In The Bible? (10179 Views)

Contradictions Or Plagiarism In New Testament Records? / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! / Plagiarism In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 9:10pm On Sep 20, 2016
adjoviomole:

If the bible was not written in Gods inspiration, how come the bible was the 1st to point out the shape of the earth,
that the earth is flat?
I dont understand you..is it the same bible i know of?

how come the bible was the 1st to say boldly that the earth hangs on nothing, it was said several yrs before scientist could even dream of traveling to space.

How did this person know? If he was not inspired by the creator of the universe?

look at the moon...
Look at the sun...
Are they on anything?

Think wide sire...

1 Like

Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by felixomor: 9:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

1)including non-biblical scriptures
2)only biblical scriptures

I only meant biblical scriptures.
Yes.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 9:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

How did you know that I don't think for myself? I choose not to commit adultery: does that mean I don't think for myself?

how can He not want me to be as intelligent as He is?
What knowledge does the Bible want far from me?
modern day christianity is proof you dont think as god wants you to...and i suggest you stop doing so...
In light of
prov 3:5
prov 28:26
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:27pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:
what are you doing on a forum owned by an atheist?
This forum is not an atheist forum, is it? It has a religion section.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 9:27pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

GOD confused the language of man because of rebellion..
pls dont tell me you believe the tower of babel... We have space stations remember? . We went to the moon remember?
GOD will still soon destroy all the ungodly people.
christianity has truly redefined ''soon''

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:32pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

modern day christianity is proof you dont think as god wants you to...and i suggest you stop doing so...
In light of
prov 3:5
prov 28:26

LOL. Who told you I'm trusting in myself or my own understanding? I try my best to practise Christianity as GOD wants me to. I dare not trust myself or my own understanding.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:37pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

pls dont tell me you believe the tower of babel...
We have space stations remember?
We went to the moon remember?

christianity has truly redefined ''soon''

I believe the tower of babel. Any problem with that? Can you tell me how we managed to have countless number of languages today?

Y'all atheists believe evolution, don't ya? A space of 6000 years is microscopic compared to the figures you people put up in evolution.

Still, very soon - sooner than most expect, sudden destruction will come upon the wicked.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2016
felixomor:

I only meant biblical scriptures. Yes.
1 cor 7:12,25 2 cor 11:17 ....
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 9:39pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I believe the tower of babel. Any problem with that? Can you tell me how we managed to have countless number of languages today?

Y'all atheists believe evolution, don't ya? A space of 6000 years is microscopic compared to the figures you people put up in evolution.

Still, very soon - sooner than most expect, sudden destruction will come upon the wicked.
okay
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by felixomor: 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

1 cor 7:12,25
2 cor 11:17
So...
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2016
adjoviomole:

What can be more gullible than blivn that water can wash away sins (ablution)

Whoever says ablution water washes away sin?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 9:53pm On Sep 20, 2016
felixomor:

As for Matthew and Luke.
There are many possibilities for the different genealogies.
In jewish custom, there was always a possibilty of having a lineage branch if a man remarried or someone died and his wife had to marry one of his brothers.
If the man had no child, the child from the new marriage would carry on with the father's name.
And there was always high possibility that this name would follow in the geneaology despite the new marriage.
This new genealogy is the legal geneaology while the biological geneaology is also there.

It is believed that Matthew traces the biological lineage while Luke traced the legal lineage.

Now, if u never knew this part of jewish custom, u will be in a hurry to think that u have found a discrepancy, but there is none.

U garrit? cool

No, I don't. Read both again, the first 14 generation are the same, or almost the same. The second 14 to Joseph are different. Both traced it through to Joseph. How does that tally with your above explanation? Are these differences you guys are trying so hard to defend humanly inspired or divinely inspired?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by adjoviomole(m): 9:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
wolesmile:

Whoever says ablution water washes away sin?

What is the function of ur ablution den?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by adjoviomole(m): 10:01pm On Sep 20, 2016
raphieMontella:
that the earth is flat? I dont understand you..is it the same bible i know of?

look at the moon... Look at the sun... Are they on anything?
Think wide sire...
Lmao, where in d bible is it stated dat d earth was flat? grin
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 10:05pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Read Luke's account of the genealogy of Christ on wikipedia. Luke most probably reported Jesus lineage through Mary.

Maybe you should look at both accounts again and see that both traced it through Joseph. Stop basing your fact on Wikipedia. Can't you compare both accounts on your own? Is Wikipedia now the holy spirit guiding you?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
adjoviomole:

Do you know the number of people that were condemned to death for heresy by the papacy for daring to say that the earth is round? Tell me where it is that the earth is round in the Bible? That something hangs means it's round to you? So flats don't hang? Squares don't hang?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:12pm On Sep 20, 2016
wolesmile:

Maybe you should look at both accounts again and see that both traced it through Joseph. Stop basing your fact on Wikipedia. Can't you compare both accounts on your own? Is Wikipedia now the holy spirit guiding you?

Read wikipedia article on Luke's account of the genealogy, will you?

Just before he began listing Jesus' ancestors, Luke stated that people supposed Jesus was the Son of Joseph (Luke 3:23).

What does that tell you?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Read wikipedia article on Luke's account of the genealogy, will you?

Just before he began listing Jesus' ancestors, Luke stated that people supposed Jesus was the Son of Joseph (Luke 3:23).

What does that tell you?

Write both genealogies from Adam. Place them side by side. From Adam begath Seth. Seth begath.... on and on. Then when you get to the 14th generation, maybe you will see where the differences in account crept in. You can then judge for yourself, not through some wiki-nonesense account, how it has anything to do with Mary.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:25pm On Sep 20, 2016
wolesmile:

Write both genealogies from Adam. Place them side by side. From Adam begath Seth. Seth begath.... on and on. Then when you get to the 14th generation, maybe you will see where the differences in account crept in. You can then judge for yourself, not through some wiki-nonesense account, how it has anything to do with Mary.

LOL. I said that Luke most probably traced his account through Mary to Adam. Okay?

When it got to David, instead of mentioning Solomon, Luke mentioned Nathan. Jesus was born of Mary. Luke most probably traced his account through Mary's lineage.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by wolesmile(m): 10:36pm On Sep 20, 2016
DoctorAlien:

LOL. I said that Luke most probably traced his account through Mary to Adam. Okay?

When it got to David, instead of mentioning Solomon, Luke mentioned Nathan. Jesus was born of Mary. Luke most probably traced his account through Mary's lineage.

Probably, did you say? I can't laugh.

What probable explanation are you giving to the other verses I mentioned earlier o? Wikipedia again to the rescue?

By the way, who wrote that explanation on wikipedia? Someone inspired by the holy ghost? Does that mean the accounts of other gods on wikipedia is true then?
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by Gpdwise(m): 10:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
wolesmile:
"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, but to weigh and consider." - Francis Bacon.

This is not about the popular John 1:1 which the writer of the Gospel of John failed to credit the original writer of those words, Phyllo of Alexandria.

This is about two "divinely inspired" writers of two books of the Bible.

1. The book of Isiah.
The book of Isiah was written, as agreed by Bible scholars, by the prophet Isiah. They also agreed that it was written somewhere between 740 and 680 BC. Isiah was a great Jewish prophet in his time, and many of his prophecies are still subjects of debate till date.

2. The book of Kings
A general agreement is that the author of I and II Kings is unknown. But some Bible scholars believe the books to have been written by the prophet Jeremiah around 562 or 561 BC.

No doubt, both books were written about two centuries apart.
But check the whole of Isiah chapter 37, and the whole of II Kings chapter 19!!!

Were both chapters written through inspiration?
Or one author copied the work of the other? (By inspiration, some will say)
Or that it was an error of compilation?

OLAADEGBU
Truthman2012
Malvisguy
Winner01
King_Ebuka
Anunaki
and the others... please explain o

Well my curiosity got the better of me and I dug out the old Bible and looked up what you said. From what I can tell, at the end of the passage in 2 Kings 20, it says"isn't this all written in the book of the kings of Judah?" So it's acknowledged in the text that it is elsewhere. Kinda goofy, whatever. I don't think it necessarily demonstrates any real contradiction or error ... to me it's like an illustration of how the Hebrew scriptures weren't really meant to be read like a cohesive story but as a bunch of often random historical documents written by lots of different men. When thought of this way, it proves that the Bible is a right. I see the Bible as a historical document and as a mythological document ... I think it must captured life pretty well in that time and place. I think it has wisdom and beauty in it, and it has stupidity and sordidness in it too. Pretty much like the rest of what's out there in the world. The Bibles is a complete book with fairy tales, war, love, tragic and even drama stories .If asked I think the Bible is inspired, I'll say sure it is !!! But so are some really great books like homers Iliad, Qur'an etc but the bible gives hope. I just wonder why you the OP want take away this hope from people. what is life without it.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2016
wolesmile:

What probable explanation are you giving to the other verses I mentioned earlier o? Wikipedia again to the rescue?

By the way, who wrote that explanation on wikipedia? Someone inspired by the holy ghost? Does that mean the accounts of other gods on wikipedia is true then?

grin

Which god is on wikipedia?

On 2 Sam. 24:1 and 1 Chron. 21:1:

A careful study of the Bible will reveal that sometimes when GOD permits something to happen, it is recorded as GOD doing it.

The two statements in those verses are true: although it was Satan who immediately incited David to number Israel, it was GOD who allowed Satan to do so. Although it was Satan's plan to destroy David and Israel, it was GOD's plan to humble David and teach him a valuable spiritual lesson.

It's similar to Job's story. GOD permitted Satan to harm Job. GOD could have prevented Satan, but He didn't. It could be said GOD tested Job with suffering.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by lepasharon(f): 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If He doesn't then why all the rage against someone who does not exist? undecided

Well some Christians have rage against Allah even though they know he doesnt exist.. evidenced by the thread created by some here
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by felixomor: 2:24am On Sep 21, 2016
wolesmile:

No, I don't. Read both again, the first 14 generation are the same, or almost the same. The second 14 to Joseph are different. Both traced it through to Joseph. How does that tally with your above explanation? Are these differences you guys are trying so hard to defend humanly inspired or divinely inspired?

Ur last question indicates ur level of logic is very low.
Sorry to say.
It shows u didn't even read the explanation of the Jewish custom I explained and think of the possible branchings.
And there is an indication that u r not even ready to open your brain to it.
Because I can already perceive the rush in ur mind.
It's blocking Ur mind from thinking.

Nevertheless, I will explain it one more time.

Melchi ( Luke 3:24) and Mathan (Matthew 1:15) were married at different times to the same woman because of Jewish custom.
This makes Heli (Luke 3:23) and Jacob (Matthew 1:15) half brothers.
Heli died without a son and his half brother married Heil's widow
Automatically Joseph becomes the "son of Jacob" biologically and "son of heli" legally.
Therefore a branch has been established.
A biological lineage remains but a legal lineage is established to continue the name of the man who died.

This was typical of Jewish custom.
And both lines could be traced and recorded and sometimes both overlap, just for the purpose of continuing lineage

And u also clearly do not know that Mary, mother of Jesus is coming from the house of David by the lineage of Nathan (son of David)

Some people also believe that because Luke traced from Mary (usually women are not included in lineage) Joseph could also be described as "son of Heli" because during translations, there was no Greek word For "son in law", so "son in law" and "son" was used interchangeably. This is also possible.

We would not conclude on which of the above is true because we were not there. We are not liars. Both are possible theories.

The purpose of the expose is to tell u the possible things that happens when Jews are tracing lineage.

Moreover,
The controversy u are trying to generate arises because there are different ways of Tracing lineage and also that lineages don't contain enough details such as number of wives, non inclusion of women and female children, premature death, birth of all female children etc.

An event such as Tracing a lineage either way (be it biological or legal) cannot and doesn't make any of the writers (be it Matthew or Luke) fall short of being inspired. In the first place, I don't know why u would ask such a question to doubt inspiration. SMH
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by adjoviomole(m): 4:30am On Sep 21, 2016
wolesmile:

Do you know the number of people that were condemned to death for heresy by the papacy for daring to say that the earth is round? Tell me where it is that the earth is round in the Bible? That something hangs means it's round to you? So flats don't hang? Squares don't hang?

Issiah 40;22
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,
and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers;
that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and
spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

The shape was mentioned n it was nt a flat shape, and the fact dat it hangs on nothing was also mentioned. Nowhere in the bible was it written that the earth was flat cheesy if their is show it to me.grin grin grin grin
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by felixomor: 4:54am On Sep 21, 2016
wolesmile:

Sorry bro, all other matters aside,
that bolded statement is a
Fallacy of illogical conclusion.
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 7:44am On Sep 21, 2016
adjoviomole:

www.nairaland.com/3274173/where-god-before-he-created/5#48431999 you dont read your bible..if you did..you wouldnt be so naive
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 7:55am On Sep 21, 2016
DoctorAlien:

This forum is not an atheist forum, is it? It has a religion section.
its owned by an atheist sir.. So long you're here... I can be on a religious section.. No laws broken here.. T happens err'where...all the time in any ''event''
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 7:56am On Sep 21, 2016
felixomor:
So...
does those verses do not refute what you said? Paul disagreed with you..
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by otemanuduno: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Ask the Holy Spirit who is the author. smiley

That holy spirit guy eh...the author of confusion
Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2016
adjoviomole:

Issiah 40;22
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,
and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers;
that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and
spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

The shape was mentioned n it was nt a flat shape, and the fact dat it hangs on nothing was also mentioned. Nowhere in the bible was it written that the earth was flat cheesy if their is show it to me.grin grin grin grin
is the earth a circle?
Wait...you said a circle aint flat?
Are you for real?

4 Likes

Re: Plagiarism In The Bible? by raphieMontella: 8:06am On Sep 21, 2016
DoctorAlien:

LOL. Who told you I'm trusting in myself or my own understanding? I try my best to practise Christianity as GOD wants me to. I dare not trust myself or my own understanding.
you're joking right?
You believe in a flat earth?
You believe you think with your heart right?
You believe when ever it rains heavens windows are opened right?
You believe lightning's,,thunder,,earthquakes are a result of god's anger?
Dont even go there...you do not believe in god's understanding...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

National Fasting And Prayer Day: Jonathan, Adeboye, Oyedepo, Others To Attend. / Insecurity: Statement By Rev. Stephen Baba Panya, ECWA President / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.