Stats: 3,158,713 members, 7,837,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) (33841 Views)

When Obstetric Scan Reveals Breech Presentation Of The Foetus / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos (2) (3) (4)

Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Tobilonia(m): 11:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
Nice post u got up there bro, but professionally if there is still enough liquor for the baby to swim around, the mother is advised to sleep lying with the side the fetus is placing it's head. With this, the fetus gets uncomfortable and tends to reposition itself..........
The normal delivery age isn't always 40 weeks but 38weeks and that's exactly why it's always (+/- 2 weeks)
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Ormorlehwah(f): 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2018
Breech birth is the hardest, I don't pray to experience it. Virginal breech delivery may make the child unbalance or handicap , doctors recommend CS. One's faith in God can help in this situation.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Ormorlehwah(f): 11:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
Tobilonia:
Nice post u got up there bro, but professionally if there is still enough liquor for the baby to swim around, the mother is advised to sleep lying with the side the fetus is placing it's head. With this, the fetus gets uncomfortable and tends to reposition itself..........
The normal delivery age isn't always 40 weeks but 38weeks and that's exactly why it's always (+/- 2 weeks)
the fetus cannot reposition itself after 36weeks. The mother lying on the side doesn't mean it will change
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by springtech(m): 11:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
Quite an educative and highly enlightening post.

OP well done.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Taiwo20(m): 1:48am On Jun 26, 2018
THERES A WAY AROUND THIS......
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Slimsly100(f): 9:09am On Jun 26, 2018
Oh lord!!! Pls help o. When the time comes, let my baby(s) be positioned normally. Amen
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by obi123: 11:37am On Jun 26, 2018
Drphemmy4u:
Current practice is CS for all breech presentation to reduce maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality.In modern day obstetrics,assisted vaginal breech delivery and external cephalic version (changing the presentation from breech to cephalic per abdomen) are no longer practiced.

thank you, My pikin is currently breech and i have a scheduled procedure
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Drphemmy4u: 1:07pm On Jun 26, 2018
SonofHim:

I totally disagree with you. So if you have a G3P2+0 woman with a singleton frank breach presentation at term, no previous CS and EFW of say 2.8 to 3 kg you will Ceaser her? Adequate counselling, proper selection of parturient and skilled intrapartum care still remains best practice.
Infact External cephalic version can still be offered to patients with no contraindication and should be carried out by a skilled personnel under close monitoring. See 2017 RCOG guidelines
I will allow assisted vaginal breech delivery in the above scenario only if I have Electronic Fetal Monitoring which would improve the neonatal outcome having counselled the patient for Elective CS.Risk taking by obstetricians is reducing while litigation is increasing with more patients being aware of their rights hence every discussion/counselling and subsequently decisions are well documented.Meanwhile,This is from 2017 RCOG guidelines;"A secondary analysis of the data from the Term Breech Trial (not according to
group allocation), adverse perinatal outcome was lowest with prelabour caesarean section and increased with
caesarean section in early labour (latent phase), in active labour and vaginal birth. For women experiencing labour, adverse
perinatal outcome was also associated with labour augmentation, birth weight less than 2.8 kg, longer time between pushing and
delivery and no experienced clinician at delivery. Women should be advised that planned caesarean section for breech
presentation carries a small increase in serious immediate complications for them compared with planned vaginal birth. Women
should be advised that planned caesarean section for breech presentation does not carry any additional risk to long-term health
outside pregnancy"
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Drphemmy4u: 1:10pm On Jun 26, 2018
obi123:

thank you, My pikin is currently breech and i have a scheduled procedure
Is she term (37weeks) already? Wishing you the very best.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Drphemmy4u: 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2018
MrBigiman:

I agree with u though. Modern obstetric is advocating counselling breech on CS, and allowing them play a part in the decision. However, certain factors should determine the decision. E.g Expected birth weight, multiparity and presence of a midwife/obstetrician skilled in breech delivery. The woman should be counselled and her decision duely documently incase of an adverse outcome. In few years vaginal breech may become totally obselete.
Absolutely true.without proper counselling and documentation of decision made by patient who refused the safest route of delivery (which is CS), a doctor could land in big trouble if you eventually deliver an asphyxiated baby.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by babaireti(m): 2:34pm On Jun 26, 2018
Good one
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by JoannaSedley(f): 3:34pm On Jun 26, 2018
Drphemmy4u:
Absolutely true.without proper counselling and documentation of decision made by patient who refused the safest route of delivery (which is CS), a doctor could land in big trouble if you eventually deliver an asphyxiated baby.
This is in ideal situations but we need the skills and be prepared incase of emergencies. How do you manage an unbooked patient with full cervical dilatation, membrane bulging ,buttocks or feet as the presenting part, fetal head under costal margin, and fetal heartbeat above the maternal umbilicus....a classic breech diagnosis in rural centre or even in your hospital? Do you prepare and still insist on CS? That was me some years back....very scary but I pulled through with the help of every skills in the books.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Drphemmy4u: 12:58pm On Jun 27, 2018
JoannaSedley:
This is in ideal situations but we need the skills and be prepared incase of emergencies. How do you manage an unbooked patient with full cervical dilatation, membrane bulging ,buttocks or feet as the presenting part, fetal head under costal margin, and fetal heartbeat above the maternal umbilicus....a classic breech diagnosis in rural centre or even in your hospital? Do you prepare and still insist on CS? That was me some years back....very scary but I pulled through with the help of every skills in the books.
Hmnnn I can imagine.Feet or foot below the buttocks is footling breech which is an absolute indication for CS.Thus you counsel patient and refer to a centre with facility for CS.You could have pulled through,you were only lucky.If it was to be frank or complete breech,counsel patient on the modes of management and the ones available in your facility including the available skills.They then decide and you document.Should in case you have a poor neonatal outcome then you are covered.
Re: All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) by Lasunclinics: 10:24pm On Jun 06, 2020
pafo:
See as them open remembrance book for this op matter o. May the heavens open my own book too o.

The moniker no even dey active again. May I not be inactive before the heavens remember me o. grin

we are back sir

Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. / Nigerian Lady Dies After Childbirth (photos) / Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week