Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,358 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. (33828 Views)

BREAKING: Nigeria Records New Ebola Cases / Lagos Records 5 new Suspected Ebola Cases / Suspected Ebola Cases In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:45am On Aug 28, 2014
Two people in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, have contracted Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), minister of health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, confirmed on Thursday. Since Liberian-American Patrick Sawwyer introduced the virus to Nigeria on July 20, this is the first time an Ebola case would be confirmed outside Lagos.

According to Chukwu, the total number of cases of Ebola recorded in the country now stands at 15, against the 13 reported on Monday. He said the two additional cases of the disease were recorded in Port Harcourt, where a staff member of ECOWAS who had contact with Patrick Sawyer but evaded surveillance, checked into a hospital in the city with symptoms of the deadly virus. “As of today, August 28, the total number of Ebola cases stands at 15.

Remember we told you it was 13 on Monday. But today, there have been two additional cases in Port Harcourt,” the minister said. “A man who works for ECOWAS, a primary contact of the index case, evaded surveillance and travelled to Port Harcourt. He became ill and he went to hospital in Port Harcourt for treatment. “Although he recovered, the doctor who treated him died last week. The widow of the doctor alerted us and we investigated the case.

“It is now confirmed that the doctor died of Ebola. His widow has been put under quarantine. The ECOWAS staff member is also under quarantine. There are evidence that he had the virus but might have recovered. We cannot rule out the option that he still has the virus.” Chukwu disclosed that 70 people who are secondary contacts of the two Ebola cases in Port Harcourt have been traced and placed under surveillance.

“As it stands, 141 persons who are secondary contacts are under surveillance in Lagos, 70 in Port Harcourt and 6 in Enugu. 200 persons have completed the 21 days incubation period of the virus without developing symptoms,” he said.

“There is still only one case of virus in Lagos. The patient is responding to treatment and may be discharged soon.” The minister assured Nigerians that the government would contain the virus, advising that citizens should not panic.

http://www.thecable.ng/breaking-two-ebola-cases-confirmed-in-ph | TheCable

2 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Daniel2802(m): 9:50am On Aug 28, 2014
Chai me we dy Port-harcourt.
Hmmmm Ebola is not my portion.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by udohjaphet: 9:55am On Aug 28, 2014
so is it politicized as in BOKOHARAM

1 Like

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 28, 2014
Sahara reporters is also reporting this

The more information there is out there the better for everyone

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2014
Daniel2802: Asi
Na lie
it's been confirmed by the minister of health.
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Blenvado(m): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Its been confirmed by the RS Commissioner of Health...!!! Dr. Emmana is the name of the dead doctor.
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 28, 2014
Chineke muuoooo...is this true?? shocked shocked shocked Now this whole issue is becoming scaryer embarassed embarassed...

Was even saying I wouldn't leave PH because of ebola scare..now this? Make I better go buy my sanitizer. .

Also, I thought it was announced we have just an ebola suspect left in Nigeria? ? undecided

Chaiiii, Just when I thought we have won this ebola fight embarassed embarassed embarassed

May God help us eliminate this completely and prevent us from contraction of this deadly disease. ..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by talktrue1(m): 10:10am On Aug 28, 2014
Not again!!!

1 Like

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by lilprinze: 10:15am On Aug 28, 2014
shocked it has now left Lagos to Port Harcourt.
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by TVTKOKO(m): 10:19am On Aug 28, 2014
I think it's high tym nigerians call unto God to stop the spread of dis disease, irrespective of their religion

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Remain Calm, Do Not Panick... All is well

1 Like

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Sunnybobo3: it's been confirmed by the minister of health.
that's serious!!
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 28, 2014
Please does anyone know the Government emergency numbers for Ebola cases?

If you think you have been exposed in IMO Abia or Rivers State which hotline do you call please.

Information is the best way to beat Ebola

2 Likes

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by omenka(m): 10:38am On Aug 28, 2014
I want the blabbermouth, Marilyn Ogah, to ask questions as to why these are happening in opposition states alone. What is sauce for the goose should also be suitable for the gander!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by dustydee: 10:40am On Aug 28, 2014
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — A man who contracted Ebola in Nigeria after coming into contact with a traveler from Liberia evaded surveillance and infected a doctor in southern Nigeria who later died, Nigerian health authorities announced Thursday.

The death was the first in Nigeria outside Lagos, the commercial capital. The incident raises the number of confirmed cases in the country to 15, including six deaths.

Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told reporters the man who evaded surveillance has recovered and is now being watched in Lagos. The wife of the doctor who treated him in Port Harcourt is also now being quarantined after she developed symptoms of the deadly disease.

The man is a worker at the Economic Community Of West African States, who was a primary contact of Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, who flew into Lagos last month and died of Ebola. He recovered after the late doctor treated him for symptoms.

The doctor died on Friday in Port Harcourt and hasn't been buried yet, the minister said, adding that morticians who embalmed him are part of 70 people now under surveillance in Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers state and a hub for Nigeria's oil industry. The country is Africa's largest oil producer.

Nigeria doesn't share land borders with the three other Ebola-affected countries — Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea — and the first case arrived into Lagos by air.

The disease has killed more than 1,400 people in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, and Doctors Without Borders warned that the tremendous influx of patients in Liberia, in particular, is overwhelming their treatment centers there.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-ebola-patient-hid-government-084052338.html
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Lordabas: 10:40am On Aug 28, 2014
hmm.. We jubilated too quick the work that is infront of the health authorities now even more enormous.
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Lordabas: 10:41am On Aug 28, 2014
i hope these ebola cases in Ph will make Amaechi sit down and be a governor. He has been more politician than governor in the past month
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by merieam16(f): 10:54am On Aug 28, 2014
All is well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 28, 2014
Oh No! Please not my darling Garden City... Ghost mode activated.

Lord help us all

3 Likes

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by freda506(f): 10:58am On Aug 28, 2014
Jesus!! shocked shocked
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 28, 2014
Not again.

When we thought we have conquer it,it has rear its ugly head again.
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Blenvado(m): 11:27am On Aug 28, 2014
The Rivers State Commissioner for Health Sampson Paker should immediatly resign and be given a dose of the EVD for lying to Rivers people. Up until this morning he was still blabing on radio that there was no Ebola Virus threat in Rivers State only for him to retract his statement some few minutes later to confirm the death of a doctor by the EVD. I remember the last time the RSHA invited him and rebuked him for not doing enough against the Virus. Now we are faced with the reality....!!! God be with us...!!!
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by thrizzle(m): 11:35am On Aug 28, 2014
no wonder I saw people wearing hazmat suits in ph
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2014
Why are Ebola patients hiding?

Why is a health commissioner too eager to say I have no Ebola in my territory

Our mentality to life is very poor

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by OCTAVO: 12:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by phantom(m): 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
very true. I personally know the doc involved. its so sad.

3 Likes

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by widowhusband: 1:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
mikeansy: Why are Ebola patients hiding?

Why is a health commissioner too eager to say I have no Ebola in my territory

Our mentality to life is very poor

always eager to brag- nanosilver,sack them. its sad
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Dracula27: 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
phantom: very true. I personally know the doc involved. its so sad.
Please who is this doctor ?
He has put the life of a lot of people at risk and has cost the government millions or billions of Naira.
Unfurtunately he is dead but i recommend a long jail term for the diplomat and survivors of acts like his.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by TeamclicksAir: 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by rattlesnake(m): 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
Sawyer angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Two Ebola Cases Confirmed In Port Harcourt. by Lilimax(f): 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
This topic is already on the front page
Aunty Mukina2 smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Dies After Childbirth (photos) / Woman Gives Birth To Half-human, Half-goat Baby In Jigawa / Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.